• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
When Michael started giving his speech it sorta felt like he was about to reveal himself to be "The God" or something, his facial expressions were a bit weird and reminded me of the season 1 finale reveal.

I'm really enjoying the show but I dunno, something just feels missing. Like Eleanor isn't involved/concerned enough or something, it all just feels like its a bit on auto pilot. I guess more the main crew of 4 just seem to be a lot more passive or not really working together much? All the Justified stuff was fan freaking tastic though, good to see Olyphant playing along. I find the Judge stuff more annoying than cute, while its a nice laugh she likes Justified it just gets grating how she constantly makes references to modern Earth stuff. I guess you just can't start down the path of asking too many questions about other sentient life, why she talks so much about 2010-2015 TV shows, wouldn't she see all futures, etc.

Hard to believe there are still THREE more episodes (finale is 2 parter), it feels like the show could wrap up in 10 mins at this point. Maybe still more surprises?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
When Michael started giving his speech it sorta felt like he was about to reveal himself to be "The God" or something, his facial expressions were a bit weird and reminded me of the season 1 finale reveal.

I'm really enjoying the show but I dunno, something just feels missing. Like Eleanor isn't involved/concerned enough or something, it all just feels like its a bit on auto pilot. I guess more the main crew of 4 just seem to be a lot more passive or not really working together much? All the Justified stuff was fan freaking tastic though, good to see Olyphant playing along. I find the Judge stuff more annoying than cute, while its a nice laugh she likes Justified it just gets grating how she constantly makes references to modern Earth stuff. I guess you just can't start down the path of asking too many questions about other sentient life, why she talks so much about 2010-2015 TV shows, wouldn't she see all futures, etc.

Hard to believe there are still THREE more episodes (finale is 2 parter), it feels like the show could wrap up in 10 mins at this point. Maybe still more surprises?
I think a lot of the Judge stuff would fall a little flat if Maya Rudolph wasn't a comedic titan. She and D'Arcy Carden are carrying a lot of those scenes.

As to the Judge being so obsessed with Earth stuff, I guess that's because she went down and spent a year or two there in late season 3(?) and got to know a bunch of it. "Also, I guess I'm black? They do not like black ladies down there."

But in general I agree with your auto-pilot sentiment. I'm wondering what would have been different if the 5 season plan had come to fruition. Maybe a whole season of the experiment and then another one of trying to come up with a new system? I dunno.

I'm probably still going to be a bawling mess during the finale, though.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of the Judge stuff would fall a little flat if Maya Rudolph wasn't a comedic titan. She and D'Arcy Carden are carrying a lot of those scenes.

As to the Judge being so obsessed with Earth stuff, I guess that's because she went down and spent a year or two there in late season 3(?) and got to know a bunch of it. "Also, I guess I'm black? They do not like black ladies down there."

But in general I agree with your auto-pilot sentiment. I'm wondering what would have been different if the 5 season plan had come to fruition. Maybe a whole season of the experiment and then another one of trying to come up with a new system? I dunno.

I'm probably still going to be a bawling mess during the finale, though.
The judge was a tv nut before going to earth

I definitely remember her making reference to binging a show in her first appearance i think it was a procedural

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The judge was a tv nut before going to earth

I definitely remember her making reference to binging a show in her first appearance i think it was a procedural
Just once I would love it if there was a show/movie with a character like that (omnipotent being who makes a bunch of pop culture references) where the creators made up their own, because like said, they're all-seeing/all-knowing. It'd be a fun little twist (especially on this show which is super self-aware) that they'd occasionally have to be like "oh yeah that person is a singer in 4500" or something.

It also occurred to me recently that Mindy St. Clair must have the highest point total in the universe in recent human history if even Doug Forsythe was heading to the Bad Place (with more than 58,000 points, if I recall correctly) while Mindy was at least able to make it into a neutral place. (I assume Mindy's death was somewhat recent)

Anyway, excited to see how the rest of this plays out.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Just once I would love it if there was a show/movie with a character like that (omnipotent being who makes a bunch of pop culture references) where the creators made up their own, because like said, they're all-seeing/all-knowing. It'd be a fun little twist (especially on this show which is super self-aware) that they'd occasionally have to be like "oh yeah that person is a singer in 4500" or something.

It also occurred to me recently that Mindy St. Clair must have the highest point total in the universe in recent human history if even Doug Forsythe was heading to the Bad Place (with more than 58,000 points, if I recall correctly) while Mindy was at least able to make it into a neutral place. (I assume Mindy's death was somewhat recent)

Mindy's deal was less the raw numbers but more because her big act of contrition just occurred posthumously so they weren't sure whether to apply the points and came up with a compromise.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Mindy was less points and her dying before her plan came into fruition and changed the world so no one was sure how much points she deserves

Though it's weird to imagine any of the good place people arguing for anything in hindsight

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Mindy was less points and her dying before her plan came into fruition and changed the world so no one was sure how much points she deserves

Though it's weird to imagine any of the good place people arguing for anything in hindsight
Yeah, that's a valid point. Maybe the people who argued for her weren't the panel we saw in season 3.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, that's a valid point. Maybe the people who argued for her weren't the panel we saw in season 3.
I have to assume that the idea of the Good Place crew just being Democrats who give up every inch of ground has to be an idea they cemented later on, because yeah, they would have given the Bad Place anything they wanted in any situation.

Edit: bad quality but I found it on twitter

So, not the most consistent thing but eh. Also, extremely mild nitpicky sidenote, I protest the idea that Good Place people would use the term "demon", as it's considered a little racist.

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Last episode was a bit of a dud outside some of the Judge stuff, I guess they were never going to live up to the cliffhanger or do anything unexpected.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't expect anything crazy. Just enjoy the show.

This, we're no really at a point where it makes sense to do their usual shenanigans beyond stalling for time, which they successfully did these last two episodes. Now these characters we know and love have to take what we've learned and try to fix the system.

Not saying the show can't still have sone final twist left (There are 3 episodes left after all), but I don't mind a more straightforward thing either. I just want my happy ending lol

Oct 26, 2017
This is late but I felt so bad for Michael when he said he didn't want the others to see him in his fire squid form because he didn't want them to view him differently. Awww.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting theory my friend came up with is that the show's breaking the fourth wall and claiming *we're* in the afterlife model they proposed- the "small voice in one's head" is probably our conscience, which everyone has already.

Although "follow your conscience" sounds a bit weak for the final ethical point of the show, so that might be wrong
That's great, I like it. I just wonder what happens to the demons and janitors.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Three episodes to go with an 'agreement' in place - maybe they'll experiment with different options?

wonder if it'll end up with the original good place being what they settle on?

it does feel a little like its on cruise control but I'm still loving spending time with the characters and the judge is keeping things fun. Just hope they can stick the landing

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
New episode tonight:
Mondays, Am I Right?
Michael runs some tests and Chidi gets some good advice from Jason.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, after complaining about the flanderization of the character, I am glad that they have been good about keeping Jason a frigging idiot while managing to get him to make a point every couple episodes this season.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got emotional at the end, they finally made it!

I hope, I dunno, this show has given me trust issues

Also glad they brought back Vicky. She was always a fun recurring presence, so I'm glad she stuck around till the end.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Vicky was great. Still kind of another 7 or 8 out of 10 episode. I guess we're just riding it out now, which is fine, too, if you take the show as a whole. I guess the final two episodes are going to effectively be epilogue.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
IDK, Star Trek has done this in nearly every show, and it's always a little rough. They'll say something, "He's a smart as Newton, Einstein, or Swartskoff," and it never really landed.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, what's up with the pacing? Felt like the show could have ended last week, not sure how they can end it at this point other than "end then everyone lived happily ever after, the end". I mean, I don't mind a happy ending, it's just that the whole set-up is weird. We still have 3 episodes left.

Inb4 there is some giant twist once they get to the actual good place.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Uh, what's up with the pacing? Felt like the show could have ended last week, not sure how they can end it at this point other than "end then everyone lived happily ever after, the end". I mean, I don't mind a happy ending, it's just that the whole set-up is weird. We still have 3 episodes left.

Inb4 there is some giant twist once they get to the actual good place.

Yeah it's felt to me very Return of the King, where it ends like 4 times.

Nov 2, 2017
The best part of this episode is that Jason is fully aboard the Foles train. The worst part of this episode is that Jason is not aware of the greater Minshew train. I need a webisode of Janet just crushing Jason's spirit telling him that Foles got hurt. Then she builds him back up by instantly creating an NFL Films feature called "Jaguars XIX: The Rise of Minshew".

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I need a webisode of Janet just crushing Jason's spirit telling him that Foles got hurt.
There was already a bit about Janet telling him while on the hand cart leaving the Bad Place. It was done as voiceover on a wide shot so it must have been added much later, while this episode was filmed before the injury actually happened.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Janet didn't know new information after being on Earth. There was a whole joke about a guy making a sandwich and she was so curious to know what happened to it.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't trust the show. That all seemed too easy for just one and a bit Jeremy Bearimys. And with a few episodes left something must be up. Unless it is just "and they lived happily ever after and met super god or something".

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017

Because Mindy died first, she probably good good intention points before all the negatives were added in from unintended consequences.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
On their way to the real Good Place or on their way to their test while thinking it's the real Good Place? We'll find out soon enough.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
There has to be something wrong with The Good Place. There's no way that they just get there and they just chill for 40 minutes.
I assume it's going to be completely dull, or the people there are like the people in the council and fail to accomplish anything meaningful ever (Granted this shouldn't mean much if new normal people are going to get there soon, plenty of people should ace the test). That, or there is going to be some kind of jaw dropping twist that completely changes the nature of the series.

Also I wonder, what happens to the memories of the people that were in the bad place? Do they get deleted? Because I don't think anyone would stay sane after being tortured for millennia...

Maybe it was when she was temporarily without her powers
Oh right, forgot about it.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
C/S on the Vicky love. Both her and Tahani have immaculate skin. Nice to see Michael be the bigger demon and give her a role she deserved.

The bears with chainsaws were a funny bit.