• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm starting to think that Michael has been playing a long con the entire time, and is still evil. The entire point of the experiment was to indeed fail, and doom humanity for good.

Exposing the old lady so easily was just to lull the humans into a false sense of security that they can thwart Sean and the other demons

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
They spent a lot of time building up this experiment but they're not really gonna take this too far into the season, right?
*Flashbacks to "Surely they won't spend too long on Earth, right?"*
I'm starting to think that Michael has been playing a long con the entire time, and is still evil. The entire point of the experiment was to indeed fail, and doom humanity for good.

Exposing the old lady so easily was just to lull the humans into a false sense of security that they can thwart Sean and the other demons
That would be a nonsensical twist. We've seen Michael and Shawn interacting in private, with no chance of the humans finding out what happened. If you were right, there would have been no need for their antagonism when it was just them.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

That would be a nonsensical twist. We've seen Michael and Shawn interacting in private, with no chance of the humans finding out what happened. If you were right, there would have been no need for their antagonism when it was just them.

Fair point. I admit my theory is flimsy and built without much evidence, something this show definitely is not guilty of doing

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Fair point. I admit my theory is flimsy and built without much evidence, something this show definitely is not guilty of doing
It would also ruin the relationship built up in the show and a lot of character development

Also undermine the whole thing of people becoming better if all just a scheme

The show surprises but it never straight up lies to that extent at least

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder how many times he had to do it. I imagine there was cushioning under the straw there but yeah he really went for it.

Was happy to see the dark obelisk thing back.

They talked about Mantzy's fall on the podcast, actually.
And the Kars 4 Kids song.
And the other names for the obelisk.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Caught up and I was cracking up at the Bad Place pep talk. Then kars 4 kids slayed me.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, at this point any theory that involve "Michael is actually evil" or "Michael is the one being tortured" etc feel like seeking a twist for the sake of it. The show is hard to predict and will have many twists, but I don't think it's actively trying to trick the viewers anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I was considering that, but they'd have had to either build a Janet suit, or find a way to stop Bad Janets from imploding while attempting to impersonate Good Janets.
good janet passed as Bad Janet
also they think they are all stupid so anything they do will work

Yeah, at this point any theory that involve "Michael is actually evil" or "Michael is the one being tortured" etc feel like seeking a twist for the sake of it. The show is hard to predict and will have many twists, but I don't think it's actively trying to trick the viewers anymore.
Micheal is the actual experiment to see if someone can change, he was evil all along and the cockroach crew is his test subjects to see if HE can change

his entire premise was he got to do something no one else did. making the good place

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I am convinced the stinger for the upcoming episode is the train rolling to a stop into the bad place, Bad Janet standing in the exit of the train as the door opens, revealing Shawn, and her pointing to him and saying "Booyah." Then he cracks a smile as she enters the town, revealing behind her on the train to be Real Michael strapped into some Demon Trap sorta thing, then the camera cuts back to Shawn who delivers a torturously slow "...booyah." Cut to black.

I would say "bank on it" but I am very likely to be very wrong. I just have a feeling here after sitting on it for a few days.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to have show back.

Eleanor's Solent reaction as Brent was talking was gold.

That bad place theme song lol

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Seems the previously NBC.com-exclusive web series about The Bad Place's candidate selection is finally out on YouTube (I have not watched it yet but more Good Place content is always welcome).

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Seems the previously NBC.com-exclusive web series about The Bad Place's candidate selection is finally out on YouTube (I have not watched it yet but more Good Place content is always welcome).

There's something funny how Shawn who is basically The Devil is actually a decent boss or at least not terrible and interacts well with his employees

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
New episode tonight:
A Girl From Arizona Part 2
Eleanor, Michael, Janet and Tahani have their hands full when the new residents begin to show their true colors; Jason receives some unsettling news.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Brent...

e45.png

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode. I laughed so much when that book hit Chidi. Always love any time Eleanor calls herself hot too. She's the best. Some nice moments like the speech from Michael and Chidi's bit with Simone at the end. Oh and seeing the one guy's stuff wreak havoc on the neighborhood was fun. I just love this show.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tahani is completely superfluous to the show now, shit sucks

Episode was great though, thankfully

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not a lot of buzz in here tonight huh? I didn't love this episode. Slow start to the season but I'm trusting in the setup. I loved

Janet dropping Bortles cut on Jason — I busted out laughing so hard.

Oct 25, 2017
Brent is so well written. Holy shirt.

According to the podcast he's super nice in person but wow he plays a really really good dirtbag.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they really haven't given Tahani anything to do this season, but I remain hopeful that they'll give her more focus in upcoming episodes. She'll probably get some time soon, since they'll have to deal with her tormentor sooner rather than later.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season. At least we can be pretty confident that they didn't pull the Michael-swap we were afraid of last week. If we were dealing with a fake Michael he wouldn't have been nearly so supportive of the team.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed the two-part episode, but yeah, it kinds sucks they really didn't have anything for Tahani to do. All the Jason plotline seems to be added in just to emphasize that Janet's role in TGP has changed (considering she's the one keeping the neighborhood running and is always seemingly one step away from messing everything up), so the two-part episode was essentially just to deal with the aftermath of the S3 finale and dealing with Eleanor having to step up as being a leader. That said, I am actually thinking with that out of the way, we'll get more Tahani and Jason in the following episodes since they have to contribute something to the experiment, right?

Also that look Eleanor gave when Chidi said "I never loved anyone" was just oof. That shit cut deep.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I can only imagine what type of gifts that Brent tried to give Janet. Smart pivot by Eleanor to try and get him on the right track to being better.

The return of Chidi's stomach aches, this time a happy one though.

Michael's pep talk to Eleanor was great.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's obvious the show doesn't know what to do with Tahani. Jason too, I guess.

But hey Kristen Bell is killing it.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still pretty sure Michael is a fake and some kind of switcheroo took place on the train in the first episode but I can't really explain why he's acting like he is if he isn't really Michael

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Not a lot of buzz in here tonight huh? I didn't love this episode. Slow start to the season but I'm trusting in the setup.

Same here - it was an okay episode, but this one really felt like they were laying the groundwork for the future. The show hasn't let me down so far, I'm pretty sure they're going to ramp up the quality for the rest of the season.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Same here - it was an okay episode, but this one really felt like they were laying the groundwork for the future. The show hasn't let me down so far, I'm pretty sure they're going to ramp up the quality for the rest of the season.
Same here. I think a lot of this feeling would have been alleviated if this had been an actual two-parter instead of split across two weeks.

Edit: also, that conversation on the bench in that episode is extremely similar to one late in the show Chernobyl. Even down to specific lines.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good episode, that Bortles line in particular slayed me, same with Chidi getting hit by the book

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not a lot of buzz in here tonight huh? I didn't love this episode. Slow start to the season but I'm trusting in the setup. I loved

Janet dropping Bortles cut on Jason — I busted out laughing so hard.
I always thought that the Good Place was just above average. In this era it seems like if a TV show is a bit better than average it gets launched into the stratosphere, where it doesn't always belong. I'm happy that they're only doing 4 seasons and interested to see how it ends, but I have zero hype.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This episode was okay. These first two episodes would have probably been better served by being aired together rather than having the week gap between them.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought that the Good Place was just above average. In this era it seems like if a TV show is a bit better than average it gets launched into the stratosphere, where it doesn't always belong. I'm happy that they're only doing 4 seasons and interested to see how it ends, but I have zero hype.
I think this show benefits greatly from binging.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela

That's a shame, but S1 was and is a perfect season of TV.

And this episode, man, Kristen Bell is a fantastic actress.