• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WOW great plot twist. I definitely noticed when Janet didn't say "not a girl" but thought that was because she was evolving especially with the last episode her acting really weird. This stuff is what makes it fun to rewatch episodes.

Great stuff.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
We were making "not a girl" jokes before the episode as my wife is going as Janet for Halloween and her wig arrived. And then we missed it.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I had assumed they switched Michael on the train because the end of that episode was so odd. Then Michael's actions didn't really fit a switch, so I backed off that idea, but I never even thought of a Janet switch. Really fun episode.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna be that wiener and propose that The Bad Place crew were setting Glen up and this is still part of their larger plan; if we are meant to take literally that depiction of him walking in on the council saying "I love subterfuge" (or whatever it was) instead of a sort of loose interpretation, they staged that scene deliberately knowing that Glen would flip and throw a fake spanner in the cogs, and then they could use that to make the Soul Squad think they're winning while continuing to split them up. Cuz, y'know, now the only two together are Tahani and Eleanor, after all. Chidi's wiped and Jason is off to the Bad Place.

There's still something bigger here...some larger plan from The Bad Place. We have to go deeper.

giphy.gif

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I dunno about you all but I'm excited for The Adventures of Michael and Jason

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I'm gonna be that wiener and propose that The Bad Place crew were setting Glen up and this is still part of their larger plan; if we are meant to take literally that depiction of him walking in on the council saying "I love subterfuge" (or whatever it was) instead of a sort of loose interpretation, they staged that scene deliberately knowing that Glen would flip and throw a fake spanner in the cogs, and then they could use that to make the Soul Squad think they're winning while continuing to split them up. Cuz, y'know, now the only two together are Tahani and Eleanor, after all. Chidi's wiped and Jason is off to the Bad Place.

There's still something bigger here...some larger plan from The Bad Place. We have to go deeper.

giphy.gif
Yeah, when Bad Janet confirmed that Glen actually betrayed the Bad Place, that told me that he was telling the truth (at least to the best of his knowledge) which suggests he was right about Michael. So either the Bad Place is getting super involved with their schemes, or Vicki is just a really good actor.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
That was such a good episode. I'm glad it helped push the main story forward again, as I feel that's when the show is strongest.

I watched episode 3 & 4 back to back, and I thought Janet was acting weird in episode 3. And when she didn't say "not a girl" in tonight's episode, I literally rewound the scene to make sure I didn't miss it.

Didn't quite call the Bad Janet switch, but something was definitely fishy, and I'm glad they payoff came so soon.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Finally started watching and I'm...not sober but I lost it at this. Maybe bc I thought it was a local charity or what but I've had to pause the show laughing about it. My god help me.
I listen to SiriusXM a lot and that commercial comes on a LOT and it drives me insane, so I laughed extremely hard at this

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, when Bad Janet confirmed that Glen actually betrayed the Bad Place, that told me that he was telling the truth (at least to the best of his knowledge) which suggests he was right about Michael. So either the Bad Place is getting super involved with their schemes, or Vicki is just a really good actor.
I read this more as he betrayed The Bad Place but that Bad Janet is frustrated because everything has been laid bare about the Bad Place's Plan. Glenn I think was fleeing for a valid reason, but everything he saw still works for the Janet swap vs the Michael Swap.

Glenn's things that led to him believing that they had swapped Michael with Vicky was based on him making the Michael Suit(which I believe Bad Janet heard him mention and then made the Demon Bomb) but his mention of the swap was speculation while the celebration was accurate. To use a somewhat bad term, Glenn's Math was right (Bad Place was intending to replace one of the two non-humans), but because he was aware of the Michael Suit he just assumed that it happened to Michael and therefore got the wrong answer. I'm assuming Shawn keeps the Bad Janet Reboot Spam close to his chest because we know that the Bad Place seems to look down on them and getting tricked by one is not exactly something he wants to broadcast to the Bad Place.

I think we haven't seen the last of the Michael Suit, but I think the Michael who left with Jason is Michael, if only because one of the major themes of the Good Place is Demons underestimating Humans, and Michael's willingness to Suicide himself goes completely against what Vicky would be willing to do.(See her insistence on limping because she was a former circus performer)

Oct 25, 2017
How did I not realize Janet was Bad Janet all this time?

She broke up with Jason and then twisted the knife about Blake Bortles. She tried to get Tahani to punch John in the face!

I can't believe I didn't see that.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This show is so good about pulling a twist that in hindsight feels super-obvious, but they always manage to distract you enough with other things that you don't see it coming.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This show is so good about pulling a twist that in hindsight feels super-obvious, but they always manage to distract you enough with other things that you don't see it coming.

Yeah, I was thinking that the Michael suit mention in the recap during the season premiere was a bit too obvious for the show, but I never suspected Janet for a second until she failed to correct Jason. But all the signs were definitely there

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Since Jason wanted to see demon Michael I hope he gets to while they're in the Bad Place.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm surprised to see so many people still being stubborn enough to think that Michael isn't Michael. Pulling that at this point would just be bad writing. Janet being Bad Janet makes sense in retrospect based on her recent actions. Michael being Vicky wouldn't make sense based on his actions. When Bad Janet turned the group against Eleanor and broke her confidence it was Michael that built her back up. Michael was also the one advocating going easier on Chidi, and remember that Vicky loved torturing Chidi so that isn't something she would have done. The closest thing there is to evidence of Michael being someone else was when he was blowing stuff up, but even that was to help Eleanor by taking attention off of her and getting Chidi to back off.

I am also hoping that Jason gets to see flame squid Michael.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I thought it was weird when she said she couldn't make a lie detector like she's designed to do everything why draw the line there lol

Also the Bortles thing plus the break up makes way too much sense

I love the show deliberately making you think it's Michael before this episode since it was a common theory

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's unclear to me why they couldn't just quiz/test Michael to see whether or not he was Vicky. Surely there's things only he could know, questions only he could answer.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I thought it was weird when she said she couldn't make a lie detector like she's designed to do everything why draw the line there lol

Also the Bortles thing plus the break up makes way too much sense

I love the show deliberately making you think it's Michael before this episode since it was a common theory
To be fair, she did create the fake good place air balloon for Michael, and that didn't quite work, albeit, we're not really sure what Michael told her to make specifically.

Just throwing it out there. ;D

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
My son, who's been rewatching, noted that there was a lie detector that worked on Michael is S1. He called it out as a continuity error in the moment, but turns out it was no error at all.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I read this more as he betrayed The Bad Place but that Bad Janet is frustrated because everything has been laid bare about the Bad Place's Plan. Glenn I think was fleeing for a valid reason, but everything he saw still works for the Janet swap vs the Michael Swap.

Glenn's things that led to him believing that they had swapped Michael with Vicky was based on him making the Michael Suit(which I believe Bad Janet heard him mention and then made the Demon Bomb) but his mention of the swap was speculation while the celebration was accurate. To use a somewhat bad term, Glenn's Math was right (Bad Place was intending to replace one of the two non-humans), but because he was aware of the Michael Suit he just assumed that it happened to Michael and therefore got the wrong answer. I'm assuming Shawn keeps the Bad Janet Reboot Spam close to his chest because we know that the Bad Place seems to look down on them and getting tricked by one is not exactly something he wants to broadcast to the Bad Place.

I think we haven't seen the last of the Michael Suit, but I think the Michael who left with Jason is Michael, if only because one of the major themes of the Good Place is Demons underestimating Humans, and Michael's willingness to Suicide himself goes completely against what Vicky would be willing to do.(See her insistence on limping because she was a former circus performer)
Glenn is most likely legit:
- Bad Janet "purposefully" vaporized him
- The miniseries The Selection essentially shows him as a character that isn't really on board with the rest (I know it's not part of the "show" per se, but still).

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I thought Janet had been acting somewhat out of character but I assumed it was because of character development and she was starting to act more human (perhaps because she had humans inside her for a time) and due to the stress of keeping the good place running. In hindsight the Bad Janet thing was really well telegraphed.

It does make me wonder though how Janet's "children" in the good place are still active if Janet was marbleised. Is Bad Janet maintaining them, or has she replaced Janet's children with her own?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most heartbreaking moment of the show: When Jason throws the volcano rock and doesn't say "Bortles!"

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Jason is totally gonna save everyone at the end of the series isn't he?

I think there is at least a chance of it which is greater than zero. I think the reason Michael and Jason were separated from Eleanor and Tahani in the larger narrative sense is to give Eleanor and Tahani a chance to fall in love when they only have each other to rely on. They've hinted at the attraction in the past and I think Eleanor grappling with that relationship in the context of what happened to Chidi is another great opportunity for the show to talk about social morality and the human condition. Did Eleanor and Chidi de facto break-up with the reset? Does it matter? What do we owe to each other?

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I had a doubt on Janet when she was giving Tahani bad advices. I mean the writers have to in order for the pull this episode.

Which is good, not just ass pulling last minute