• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
previously on small non-important details about the LA remake:

link's awakening has many cameo from other nintendo games, and goomas from the super mario games are one of them. in the original game and it's GBC re-release, this is what they looked like:
dzv6ruhucaawkjc78j2j.png

la-2fxk4g.jpg

you can notice the distinctive grin, which separates them from the normal, angry goombas featured in mario games:

9425a3d29ca74567rkft.png
goombansmbw84jaq.png

when the remake was announced earlier this year, the goombas in the the trailer seemed to have been lifted straight out of the new super mario bros games:
screenshot2019-06-13a03kz9.png

but in the new gameplay footage that are coming out of E3 (for example this video from easy allies), looks like they're grinning again:
screenshot2019-06-13a4gjwz.png

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
The attention to detail in this remake is wonderful. This is going to be something special!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're just happy because they think they finally found a place where no one will crush them underfoot.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
OG: one of the annoying changes seen in the trailer

seemed to have been lifted straight out of the new super mario bros games
Devs used placeholders to make a trailer, good they did not blow tens of hours to make it perfect.
EDIT: wording has been changed in the OP so I changed mine to be less sarcastic.

You can clearly see the model has been made since then, the original trailer was probably done on short notice and they had to rush so did not change the models they were using.

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Kinda just seems like placeholder graphics they hadnt gotten to yet at the time of announcement. Why wait for the new goomba model if you can just temporarily use any of the goomba models from the mario games

Bylo

Oct 27, 2017
Some happy little Goombas. But yes, it seems they used placeholder models for the old trailer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, how dare the devs use placeholders to make a trailer ? A shame. /s

You can clearly see the model has been made since then, the original trailer was probably done on short notice and they had to rush so did not change the models they were using.
Kinda just seems like placeholder graphics they hadnt gotten to yet at the time of announcement. Why wait for the new goomba model if you can just temporarily use any of the goomba models from the mario games
i wasn't being serious, but changed the wording of the OP nonetheless.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Look at that long shadow down the ladder rungs Link is casting in the last shot.

I love this game already.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I never liked the way how Goombas looked. The Awakening one look great tho! I'm kinda falling in love with the game even with the toy-clay artstyle.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Just away from the Mushroom Kingdom, trying to vacation away from Mario who always steps on them.

"We're free now, fellow Goomba brother! Let's relax in this grotto, free from getting stepped on and--SON OF A!!!"

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Link's Awakening pretty much Captain Rainbow in terms of metaness?
there's a lot of references and cameos to other nintendo games:
mario, luigi, peach, yoshi, a lot of mario enemies (bloopers, bob-ombs, boos, chain chomps, cheep-cheeps, goombas, piranha plants, pokeys, shy guys, and thwomps), kirby (and gordos), wart from SMB2, prince richard from "the frog for whom the bell tolls", dr. wright from simcity

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Hahaha I love your attention to detail mazi!

Never got the chance to play this game, and I'm unspoiled, so I'm pretty stoked to do so! I'm going to take it as if it were a new game entirely.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Is Link's Awakening pretty much Captain Rainbow in terms of metaness?

Not really, Link's Awakening has a reason for there this cameos to make "in game" sense, as opposed to Captain Rainbow acknowledging that the characters are washed up videogame characters.

Coincidentally, i wonder if they are gonna make Crazy Tracy like her Captain Rainbow Counterpart.

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really happy to see all the attention to little details, like this, that were present in the original Link's Awakening

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they've gone out of their way to make accurate three dimensional interpretations of the original, completely off model sprite warms my heart.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never got the chance to play this game, and I'm unspoiled, so I'm pretty stoked to do so! I'm going to take it as if it were a new game entirely.
it's a masterpiece, i wish i could play it for the first time and re-discover everything without knowing them.

OP,
please just know that I appreciate what you're doing in the name of Link's Awakening.
Hahaha I love your attention to detail mazi!

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
When the game first was shown, I was pretty down on it- but the recent showing seemed cute as all hell and I want in

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
What a wonderful detail! I laughed when I scrolled down to see them in the new game. :)