• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
This is s definite step up from S1 (which I hated, to be honest), but the studio segments really drag it down. It's not all on this particular show though, because the celebrity sections have been the weakest part of Top Gear for a LONG time. They seem to be slowly getting their groove back as far as news is concerned though.

Looking forward to seeing some actual tours contained in an episode or two. Those specials are the best thing that Top Gear has ever done.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to that. Any time they have old cars and have to go anywhere in them is a good time.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Jaaaags!

Probably my favorite episode of the season yet. Watched it with a permanent smile on my face. And
Kiefer's
lap looked fucking great!

rakhir

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was laughing so hard that I had to pause when they were checking out Hammonds Jag toolbox.

Great episode.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yep, easily my favorite of the season so far.

Hardest I've laughed as well.

The metallic "clang" sound when Hammond was trying to start his car after the offroad lap got me good. haha.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
The Jaaaag film was great and the thing about the fire brigade was amazingly funny. Loved this episode.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
This was the episode that we went to see being filmed. Think we got lucky with the episode. Fantastic day.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The Jag episode, along with the scripted unscripted segment, is some of the best stuff they've done in a long time. I was hoping with the Jag segment that
all three of them would wind up in different cars in the end. Also, I'd never seen a Jaguar 420 before; my wife and I instantly loved it and were quite saddened when it was damaged, but the rest of the segment was funny enough to make up for it.

And now I want a Jaguar 420 even knowing I'd probably have to replace every single electrical thing in the car.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Best episode yet. I love when the boys buy shitboxes and vehemently defend them. Made for some of my favorite segments of TG and we need more of it in TGT.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I like how they embraced the scripted-ness by having May jumped off the cliff, and ever changing Jag car.
Damn smooth driving by Keifer

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best episodes so far this week. Permanent smile on my face and laughed so much. I loved the unscripted part where they were checking the contents of the boot of Hammond's car. It's not often you see genuine laughter from Clarkson. And the bit with the sheep outside the studio, too.

Downhill skiing in a car looks amazing fun.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the Jaaag segment. Somehow the "Jag owners are rich assholes who weasel their way out of everything" joke that they recycled from Top Gear is still funny.

Agree that the news is pretty good, but the celebrity bit always comes across as filler.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason this show never plays in 4K for me anymore. Season 1 was fine. On both Xbox one and Fire TV. Is this common?

Make sure that you're actually selecting the UHD version. There is one version that is only HD, and then a completely separate version that is UHD/HDR. I did the same thing on the first episode.

cajunator

Oct 25, 2017
Cajunville
To me, TGT feels justl ike Top Gear in the good ways. I never enjoyed the studio stuff much except the car news and the Cool Wall but its all about the adventures and the crazy car competition ideas they come up with. that part is still very strong. As far as Im concerned, TGT is pretty perfect as a Top Gear replacement. Its about the presenters and their humor in ridiculous situations, and thats why new Top Gear itself doesnt work.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The downhill Jag driving stressed me out
I was shocked that they were able to do that. You would have thought that health and safety would have put the kibosh on that, if not the ski resort. I mean, what ski area thinks "yeah, let's have guys who are known for fucking about take three old Jaguars and completely destroy some of our runs, or open ourselves up to liability claims should they have a completely predictable accident since old Jags are not actually purpose-built for navigating ski slopes?" The whole thing seems like it should never have happened. And it was excellent.

To me, TGT feels justl ike Top Gear in the good ways. I never enjoyed the studio stuff much except the car news and the Cool Wall but its all about the adventures and the crazy car competition ideas they come up with. that part is still very strong. As far as Im concerned, TGT is pretty perfect as a Top Gear replacement. Its about the presenters and their humor in ridiculous situations, and thats why new Top Gear itself doesnt work.
New Top Gear is much better now that Chris Evans is gone. You should check out last season; it was legitimately good. It's not comparable to the golden age, but it's better than people give it credit for.

cajunator

Oct 25, 2017
Cajunville
I was shocked that they were able to do that. You would have thought that health and safety would have put the kibosh on that, if not the ski resort. I mean, what ski area thinks "yeah, let's have guys who are known for fucking about take three old Jaguars and completely destroy some of our runs, or open ourselves up to liability claims should they have a completely predictable accident since old Jags are not actually purpose-built for navigating ski slopes?" The whole thing seems like it should never have happened. And it was excellent.

New Top Gear is much better now that Chris Evans is gone. You should check out last season; it was legitimately good. It's not comparable to the golden age, but it's better than people give it credit for.

Ive seen some of it post-Evans. Its still a show trying to be what Clarkson, Hammond, and May made it but without their personality. Just doesnt click with me sorry.
The trio can be assholes and probably get away with a lot of things but they are genuinely fun to watch and have a chemistry that cannot be easily replicated. If TGT didnt have the three guys it would fail also. they ARE the show.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new episode is brilliant, and Jeremy's recount of Audi vs Lancia is the best feature of the show since it started.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
These last two episodes have been really great. I think they've finally hit their stride.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great guests, great segments. The refueling bit was hilarious.

The Lancia vs. Audi story is incredibly good looking. Best HDR I've ever seen.

Last edited:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Great guests, great segments. The refueling bit was hilarious.

The Lancia vs. Audi story is incredibly good looking. Best HDR I've ever seen.
Just hoping there's more of these historical segments in the season. Was one of my biggest complaints for Season 1, and it's something the new Top Gear did well 2nd time around as well.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the Huracan Performante before this episode but man, just watching it with this cinematography and the angles they get it from pushed me into loving it. Truly a beautiful successor to the Gallardo and may have surpassed it in styling. I never imagined myself saying that as I felt the Gallardo (pre-facelift) was such an distinct and aggressive design, but now looking back it feels so dated and boxy, what I imagine it was like going from 80s to 90s car styling.

But this thing, lawd:

36-lamborghini-huracan-performante-sd-1.jpg

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say i really loved the Lancia 037 piece a lot. It reminded me of the piece they did on Senna on the other show they were on. The huracan piece was also really good

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta echo the opinions on the mini doc about Audi vs Lancia, the was fantastic. One of the best segments of this whole show.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Cannot believe my eyes - the last two episodes have been fantastic!!
I laughed till I cried at the re-fueling gags. Even the guests were entertaining and genuinely interesting!

Then came that LANCIA vs. AUDI documentary/retrospective.
Wish Lancia would make a come-back.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just watched this episode, it was the best yet and the Lamborghini and Lancia segments were right up there like they used to do.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The Audi/Lancia segment is the best thing they've done on the Grand Tour so far, and reminiscent of the highs they would hit on Top Gear. The last few episodes have been really solid. Glad they're dialing into a formula that's working after some rough stuff in the first series.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to come here just to post that the Audi vs Lancia segment was the best Grand Tour / Top Gear related thing I've seen since the Senna special. Absolutely amazing.

Shows that when they want, they still got it.