• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
I see that Sandi Toksvig is going to be replaced by Matt Lucas going foward.

2017_mattlucasgetty_1000x635.jpg

Fingers crossed that he comes out as Marjorie Dawes at one point!
Dust week confirmed for the new series

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Why no one tell me that there was more Bake Off?
Series 3 of The Great Stand Up to Cancer Bake Off started and the first two episodes are already up.

Episode 1 has:
Louis Theroux - documentary maker
Jenny Eclair - comedian
Russell Howard - comedian
Ovie Soko - basketball player for London Lions
Episode 2 has:
Patsy Palmer - actress, Eastenders
James Buckley - actor, The Inbetweeners
Scarlett Moffat - TV personality, Gogglebox
Richard Dreyfuss - actor; Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Next episode is on the 24th with Jo Konta (tennis player), Tan France (Queer Eye), Caroline Quentin (actress) and Joel Dommett (comedian).
Last two series had 5 episodes each so plenty more to come.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Really impressed with James Buckley this week. He seems like such a cool dude as well, complete opposite to his Inbetweeners character. Also, I'm jealous of his beard.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone catch the SU2C finale yesterday? Mo's "trainer" is genuinely the funniest thing I've ever seen on this show. It was hilarious how he was brilliant at making jam but appalling at everything else. The judge guy then with great bakes but disgusting decorations. The absolute state of his bakes. It was probably one of the funniest episodes of the show in general.

Also thought Kelly was a shoe-in for Star Baker, not Carol.

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't be less excited for an hour of fucking Matt Lucas being a dull cunt every week.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Oh that's an unfortunate accident that. Hope the guy doesn't get on home from that.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Man quarantined for a month to be on bake off and had someone knock his tray of cakes out of his hands on day 1

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know who does all the little cake diagrams. And do they draw them before, based on the description from the baker - because they often looking nothing the hell like what comes out at the end

How does the quarantine work? Are they cooking once a week or a more aggressive timetable? And normally they'd be able to go home, practice their bakes etc - will they have access to kitchens for practising?

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I want to know who does all the little cake diagrams. And do they draw them before, based on the description from the baker - because they often looking nothing the hell like what comes out at the end

How does the quarantine work? Are they cooking once a week or a more aggressive timetable? And normally they'd be able to go home, practice their bakes etc - will they have access to kitchens for practising?
The production and what it entailed is detailed here:

Great British Bake Off | How did they film 2020 series in lockdown? | Radio Times

The Great British Bake Off producers have revealed the behind-the-scenes changes which made series 11 of the show possible in the time of COVID-19.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievably hard showstopper there, absolutely scandalous Shura, thought she was going to clinch star baker at the end

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Decent first episode. Matt Lucas kinda playing the grown up child is a bit too much since Noel does the same thing for the most part. He might grow on me.

Some of those faces in the showstopper cakes were LOL. Fat Bowie was amazing.

Peter is such a good baker for someone who's just 20! Potential winner for sure.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
So it's an understatement to say my GF is pumped about this coming back, but Americans need to wait until Friday, right? I have YouTube TV and there are some international channels but I just wanted to make sure it's not on BBC American or anything.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Reckon Matt Lucas will be ok. He and Noel could have some fun chemistry, tentative start. Good bake off start. Crazy hard showstopper to start the series with.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Our household does blind picks and see how far they go, I went with Mak and Lottie. Mak doesn't look like a great call, barely any footage of him makes me think he'll be gone early on (looked up and his full name is Makbul , why's they shorten it?) Lottie I have more hopes on. If nothing else being into Viking Metal and bringing Skull moulds she'll be the fun one.

Someone else in our house went Peter and Rowan.,, yeah, they have a good chance with those pics.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I'm going to have to stay out of this thread because I'm on the slow side of the pond. Between Bake Off and Taskmaster you guys have cornered the market on my favorite television programming.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
So it's an understatement to say my GF is pumped about this coming back, but Americans need to wait until Friday, right? I have YouTube TV and there are some international channels but I just wanted to make sure it's not on BBC American or anything.
It won't be on BBC America, as it's produced for Channel 4 these days.

Netflix on Friday for US viewers.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Lottie I have more hopes on. If nothing else being into Viking Metal and bringing Skull moulds she'll be the fun one.

I tend to gravitate towards rooting for the people with really dry senses of humour, so Lottie appealed to me from the off. Am ever so slightly thrown by the fact that Rowan's voice is so uncannily "Joe Lycett in thirty years or so".

Wonder what they'll do to make things clear when one of the Mar(k|c)s is Star Baker or eliminated - particularly if it's a week when both are strong/weak.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018
Matt was a bit flat, but the personality of the contests means this could be the strongest series since it moved to C4.

Also, I adored the Freddy cake - the design somehow managed to be a sympathetic caricature. If only it didn't partially collapse :(

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Those showstoppers were straight out of "Nailed It" 🤣 🤣 🤣
holy fuck @ lupita

this was one of the few times where the "preview drawings" looked waaaaay better than the actual bakes.

the idea of a more "stylized" approach (Freddie) was actually really smart.

great first episode to what I hope to be a fantastic series.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
wtf at Linda not going. She tanked every competition

Her Showstopper saved her, it was significantly better than several other competitors.

Speaking of which, I note we didn't get the "Judges and Hosts sit around a table and have a chat about who's in danger" before the final elimination this week. It *might* possibly have been sacrificed for now while they get in the introductions and bios, but we'll see.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Matt was a bit flat, but the personality of the contests means this could be the strongest series since it moved to C4.

Also, I adored the Freddy cake - the design somehow managed to be a sympathetic caricature. If only it didn't partially collapse :(

I loved it, but I also couldn't help but think "Frank Sidebottom".