• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
After my visit to Tate Britain I ended up buying this watercolour via their site: The Blue Rigi, Sunrise.

T12336_10.jpg

He's got more well known art I could have got, but this one appealed to me most to have in my room. I like to imagine I am the mountain, calm in the face of adversity. Unlike those birds scattering because of one little boat. Cowards!!!

that's a beautiful one :)

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This this this.

Masterpiece from this genius

There is evidence that the picture may have originally portrayed the titan with a partially erect penis but, if ever present, this addition was lost due to the deterioration of the mural over time or during the transfer to canvas; in the picture today the area around his groin is indistinct. It may even have been overpainted deliberately before the picture was put on public display.

4956d7ff7e62425fd976a3188c745ac4.gif

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
Indonesian Artist Raden Saleh's Forest Fire is the the GOAT. You have to see it in person though.
st_20151117_ng17_1841370.jpg

Bonus:
SAAM-1985.66.328265_1.jpg

Last edited:

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
Looked a lot at David Hockney's work today. Love the colors and vibe, especially the Blue Terrace series:

38663077550_a1f6322f8c_b.jpg

d86727c93d6ab76eae41a30e89600cca.jpg

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know how I can buy replicas of these so I can have them in my house? Or where would I even start when I'm looking to purchase dope art?

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for posting Basquiat. I was going to, but it seemed so counter to all classical shit posted so far. I would have also accepted some Keith Haring.
I figured a wider scope was more fair game once I noticed wood block and more abstract stuff in here. Basquiat channels a different and older culture's discipline. One that Picasso also nicely profited on, so I don't think people could fairly complain. lol

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if its my favorite, but seeing The Calling of Saint Matthew in person was something I was not prepared for:
1024px-The_Calling_of_Saint_Matthew-Caravaggo_%281599-1600%29.jpg

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Gérôme's... Truth coming from the well armed with her whip to chastise mankind, mouthful that it is, has always left an impression on me. Looking at it, I both have no idea and know exactly what's going on, and I can put neither into words.

nVR8uTV.jpg

The artist purportedly died with his arm stretched out toward the painting, and that's certainly one way to give one of your works posthumous significance.
Bandinelli's Laocoön and His Sons
Bandinelli%252C+Laocoon%252C+1520.jpg
Apologies for the year-later quote of course, but this reminds me how the related Ugolino and His Sons, which took some influence from the above, is my favorite sculpture, and among my favorite works of art in general.

sci1AcI.jpg

The details on this are almost difficult to comprehend.

3B33uBm.jpg
Jg4ZkbB.png

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped some Skagen art in here, and I'll raise you Anders Zorn
Anders-Zorn-In-The-Woods-1893.jpg

His limited palette is remarkable.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
the day we see a completely digital piece in a national gallery, with no processes used to transfer to a larger cavas (ala murakami and the 1000s of hours it takes to screen those textures onto medium) will be a sad day for art IMO.

i saw this in person last year. it was fantastic
75242.jpg

Gérôme's... Truth coming from the well armed with her whip to chastise mankind, mouthful that it is, has always left an impression on me. Looking at it, I both have no idea and know exactly what's going on, and I can put neither into words.

nVR8uTV.jpg

The artist purportedly died with his arm stretched out toward the painting, and that's certainly one way to give one of your works posthumous significance.

Hello, new fav.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017

nVR8uTV.jpg

Truth looks fucking pissed.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Gonna bump this thread to say that today I was watching Better Call Saul, season 4, episode 8 and immediately recognised an artwork in the background of a scene. A JMW Turner that I bought for myself a month ago (Blue Rigi Sunrise). When this thread was made, I didn't know anything about art. Since then I've become a fan of 19th century art and can now recognise artworks in random episodes of TV!!!

Might as well post a random painting to go along with this bump: Monastery in snow - Karl Lessing

carl-friedrich-lessing-klosterhof-im-schnee.jpg

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
John Martin is one of my favorite painters ever.

His work is so dramatic and epic looking. I'm no longer religious but these still poke at something in me.

Martin_PL_Satan_Burning_lak.jpg

or

N00793_10.jpg

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone found any good resources to find high quality photos/scans of paintings? I'm trying to build out a wallpaper switcher that supports 4k (3840x2160) resolutions.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to have more knowledge on painting, speciialy those realistic drawing from 1500-1800 but I dont know from where to start

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck is going here??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temptation_of_Saint_Anthony_in_visual_arts

The Temptation of Saint Anthony is an often-repeated subject in the history of art and literature, concerning the supernatural temptation reportedly faced by Saint Anthony the Great during his sojourn in the Egyptian desert. Anthony's temptation is first discussed by Athanasius of Alexandria, Anthony's contemporary, and from then became a popular theme in Western culture.

The common medieval subject, included in the Golden Legend and other sources, shows Saint Anthony being tempted or assailed in the desert by demons, whose temptations he resisted; the Temptation of St Anthony (or Trial...) is the more common name of the subject. But strictly there are at least two different episodes deriving from Athanasius's Life of St. Anthony and later versions of the life that may be represented, though all usually have this name. The most common is the temptation, by seductive women and other demonic forms, but the Martin Schongauer composition (copied by Michelangelo) probably shows a later episode where St Anthony, normally flown about the desert supported by angels, was ambushed and attacked in mid-air by devils.[1] Anasthasius describes another episode where the saint was attacked on the ground.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Albert Bierstadt

e: oh already posted them. well only posted 1 painting so 3 in this post is better.

b2UmHHj.jpg

VMI1JCl.jpg

Qi6kCl7.jpg