• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Alexandre Calame

sEVsNgU.jpg

ujBDQEf.jpg

vGHVAtW.jpg

p5dCaxP.jpg

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
the day we see a completely digital piece in a national gallery, with no processes used to transfer to a larger cavas (ala murakami and the 1000s of hours it takes to screen those textures onto medium) will be a sad day for art IMO.

i saw this in person last year. it was fantastic
75242.jpg
...why? There are plenty of digital pieces that are just as compelling.

teague

Dec 17, 2018

Love me some good landscapes, thanks for posting these.

I think they meant digital versions of originally physical paintings, but if not then I definitely agree with you that there are lots of great digital works of art. But with something that was originally in a physical medium, there is definitely something about seeing the real one that's hard to describe.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Naw, the physics of taking pigment and using a physical object to place it on a canvas will always be infinitely more compelling then a printer printing a digital piece.

There is no undo or take backs. The artist had once chance to make that stroke right and they did, and thats why we call them masters. Digital paintings can be amazing and some of the best artists today work that way but the pieces they are producing just do nothing for me compared to creating a physical painting.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
CMHIb98.jpg

I think Duchamp's Nude Descending a Staircase No. 2. is my personal fave.

Got to see it at NYCs 100 anniversary of the Armory Show where it premiered. Man, what a gass.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
This single painting helped me to meet and talk to my current wife nearly 10 years ago. Crazy that I see it posted here.

Haha! That's awesome.

Ironically my first date with my wife of 20 years was at DC's National Gallery of Art.

I took her back there some years later, back to the same gallery in the Impressionists wing where we sat on a couch talking for hours...and proposed to her.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, the physics of taking pigment and using a physical object to place it on a canvas will always be infinitely more compelling then a printer printing a digital piece.

There is no undo or take backs. The artist had once chance to make that stroke right and they did, and thats why we call them masters. Digital paintings can be amazing and some of the best artists today work that way but the pieces they are producing just do nothing for me compared to creating a physical painting.
Well that's just not true. You have as many chances to get that stroke as you want provided you have enough paint and the motivation to keep reworking your piece. We call them masters because they persevered through making all the bad work and built up the skill to make their masterpieces.

I feel like digital painting is not an inferior method of painting. I agree that physical paintings do have an element of tactility that many, if not all, digital paintings lack, but I would still maintain that there are many out there that evoke just as strong a feeling as a physical painting. I do agree that prints aren't as compelling, but I also believe digital paintings should be viewed digitally for best results. Just as physical paintings should be viewed physically.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's just not true. You have as many chances to get that stroke as you want provided you have enough paint and the motivation to keep reworking your piece. We call them masters because they persevered through making all the bad work and built up the skill to make their masterpieces.

I feel like digital painting is not an inferior method of painting. I agree that physical paintings do have an element of tactility that many, if not all, digital paintings lack, but I would still maintain that there are many out there that evoke just as strong a feeling as a physical painting. I do agree that prints aren't as compelling, but I also believe digital paintings should be viewed digitally for best results. Just as physical paintings should be viewed physically.
Now i just want to see a 10 ft by 10 ft million dpi screen with a digital painting on it.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i always loved rembrandts night watch and francis bacon personally

The_Nightwatch_by_Rembrandt_-_Rijksmuseum.jpg

larger.jpg

i've also never got pollock until i saw mural, now i can look at his paintings for hours

maxresdefault.jpg

Mar 18, 2019
I disagree. There are many better pieces of art.

And how come no one is mentioning Eastern art? There are many beautiful pieces of art from Middle-Eastern and Far-Eastern cultures.

Nov 1, 2017
This is a great thread. Its fantastic to see so many people here appreciating the old masters, the romantics and the academic painters.

Lately I've been really into Golden Age American illustrators, some of them were so godlike, such as Dean Cornwell for example. Cornwell was a master of composing powerful and complex paintings with figures in costume, on a level that compares to the old masters imo. What I also love about how his work is how he designs his figures in such a way that emphasizes their 3D form and structures even though he uses very painterly brush strokes. He really "sculpts" the forms with his brush strokes in a way that I really want to emulate.
tumblr_ln7duzMbnw1qhyb8io1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nnl7nkqGmI1r7nbrao1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Paintings from the era/style of the one in the OP always have people with very sarcastic looking expressions to me, haha. I just see Mary shaking her hands in that picture and being like "Oh wow you're so magical woooooow" in a really sarcastic tone lol

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Raffaello_Baldassarre_Castiglione-1.jpg

(Raffaello, Ritratto di Baldassarre Castiglione)
I remember seeing this live and being deeply moved about the tender portrait of a friend made by who was considered at the time the best painter of all history. Seen it on a monitor doesn't quite give me the same vibes, so I guess this explains why I don't share the enthusiasm for the paintings that have been linked here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Above image reminds me, I may have posted this earlier but what the hell....

Hieronymus Bosch

WDIjvc.jpg

WDI0GK.jpg

WDIZkZ.jpg

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Above image reminds me, I may have posted this earlier but what the hell....

Hieronymus Bosch

WDIjvc.jpg

WDI0GK.jpg

WDIZkZ.jpg

Love me some Bosch. My father has a recurring dream in which he's in a punk band called Hipponymous Bosch (don't steal name pls).

I'm missing my home state of CO so here's some paintings from Rocky Mountain School founder and lake-namer Alfred Bierstadt:

Mt. Corcoran

mount-corcoran.jpg

Buffalo Trail, the Impending Storm

Albert_Bierstadt_-_Buffalo_Trail%2C_The_Impending_Storm.jpg

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
For a contemporary artist, I absolutely love Amano. He's, of course, known well on the forum for his artwork in the original final fantasy games. But he's done some great original paintings as well as at for other medium like anime.

tumblr_mrsousWVlM1sg1lgwo1_500.png

tumblr_n2fnxazva51t6rytxo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lzcd05OjG31qdod7go1_1280.jpg

I absolutely love his mostly minimalist use of color, and he's been pretty prolific over the last 40 years.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
For a contemporary artist, I absolutely love Amano. He's, of course, known well on the forum for his artwork in the original final fantasy games. But he's done some great original paintings as well as at for other medium like anime.

tumblr_mrsousWVlM1sg1lgwo1_500.png

tumblr_n2fnxazva51t6rytxo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lzcd05OjG31qdod7go1_1280.jpg

I absolutely love his mostly minimalist use of color, and he's been pretty prolific over the last 40 years.

Love pop art always

I really like that this thread with a clickbaity title and banned OP has turned into a wholesome and supportive art appreciation hangout

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Recently watched AMC's The Terror and found this piece of art depicting the fate of the Terror and Erebus.

aZhjXhn.jpg

Edwin Landseer's Man Proposes, God Disposes. Love the title and the expression on that right polar bear. Plus the painting has an interesting history.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
To me that's part of why I don't really like digital "paintings". Paintings look so much better on a physical medium like canvas than on a screen. It's the same with photos, they they always look better on a decent print. I think screens are awful for picture-art.

Lately I'm a fan of generative art, especially when printed using novel methods like 3d-printers and plotters.
ed73d81.jpg