• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
Tizian_041.jpg

Transcendentally beautiful. Soul shaking. Thread title is daring, but I stand by it. There is much room for subjectivity in art, but if there is anything that could be called objectively beautiful in this world, this is somewhere at the very top.

Last edited:

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
meh

After doing so much studying on art history the subject of christianity/christ/mary now bores me to tears

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
does it need a little touching up or unvarnishing? seems like it could be a little closer to 4K resolution.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the the best in-person experience I had with a painting was Malevich's black square.

It's just so square, man.
malevich5_0.jpg

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good, not my personal favorite Titian, although I haven't seen it in person unlike my personal faves. I particularly love the color in Bacchus and Ariadne and of course the Venus of Urbino is fantastic, especially when taken in context of the many works that have been made in response to it.

1280px-Titian_Bacchus_and_Ariadne.jpg

1920px-Tiziano_-_Venere_di_Urbino_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

does it need a little touching up or unvarnishing? seems like it could be a little closer to 4K resolution.

Here's a better plain shot and in situ

Tizian_041.jpg

Venezia_-_Chiesa_dei_Frari%2C_pala_dell%27Assunta.jpg

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
It really just depends on what sort of subject matter and color palletes you prefer. Mark making too.

I think there are a lot of contemporary illustrators and concept artists whose work I would say I enjoy much more than this.

Not to say this isn't an excellent painting though.

exhume

Oct 25, 2017
There is much room for subjectivity in art, but if there is anything that could be called objectively beautiful in this world, this is somewhere at the very top.
I can't help but disagree, without context this looks like a painting of a group of old dudes clawing at a woman who's trying to escape (with a ton of babies for no reason? Is the other old dude at the top going to help her or what?)

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'll be honest. I spent almost two weeks in Italy last year and that alterpice moved me the most. Just sat there in quiet contemplation. Seriously the best meditation I've ever had.

I'm not religious in any way. But there is a truth in powerful art that stirs up something in your subconscious.

Here is a photo I took

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Renaissance art were pretty amazing. I love it.

One of the few epochs in human history I would love to see unfold

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That is beautiful, no doubt but I'm still going with Michelangelo's Creation of Adam as the greatest painting ever made.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'll honestly never understand the artistic tradition of depicting Cherubim as naked babies. I get that the heavenly host as depicted in Judaism was some Lovecraftian shit that you didn't want to wrap your head around trying to paint, but what exactly made you decide that a bunch of bare-assed babies was the acceptable opt-out on that one?

OP
OP
kristoffer

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
It's pretty good, not my personal favorite Titian. I particularly love the color in Bacchus and Ariadne and of course the Venus of Urbino is fantastic, especially when taken in context of the many works that have been made in response to it.
Speaking of Venus, I never actually liked Manet's Olympia... too much high class leering.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
It's pretty good, not my personal favorite Titian, although I haven't seen it in person unlike my personal faves. I particularly love the color in Bacchus and Ariadne and of course the Venus of Urbino is fantastic, especially when taken in context of the many works that have been made in response to it.

1280px-Titian_Bacchus_and_Ariadne.jpg

You made the Crash Test Dummies pop into my brain.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After memes, it's really hard for me to look at like 98% of their faces without thinking of "but y tho?" or how judgemental they look lol

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
That is beautiful, no doubt but I'm still going with Michelangelo's Creation of Adam as the greatest painting ever made.
The issue is the volume of people as you view the Sistine Chapel, it completely distracts from the works of art. Its sad as I am glad people care enough to go flock to it, but it's supposed to be quiet but no one listens.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good, but it's no Creation of Adam (Michelangelo) or Conversion of St Paul (Caravaggio).

The latter is somewhat let down by the fact that it sits in a really dark old church and you have to pay for a light to come on for what seems like ten seconds so that you can even see it. It messes with your ability to appreciate it.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I'll stick with Guernica as greatest painting of all time, even though Rothko's Red series & Seagram murals are the ones that have bought me the greatest peace, pleasure & space to think, and my favourite for evoking a feeling is Flaming June.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
It's pretty good, but it's no Creation of Adam (Michelangelo) or Conversion of St Paul (Caravaggio).

The latter is somewhat let down by the fact that it sits in a really dark old church and you have to pay for a light to come on for what seems like ten seconds so that you can even see it. It messes with your ability to appreciate it.
Ha and everyone when I went to the church was too cheap to pay. Literally, I walk up and there are two dozen people stairing into the dark. I threw some coins in and everyone could finally see the three paintings.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Venus, I never actually liked Manet's Olympia... too much high class leering.
It can definitely get exhausting. You can only discuss the racial and gender politics of one painting for so long before it feels like you're going in circles. Sometimes it's nice to have a piece that doesn't have to get analyzed from ever direction possible and just enjoy it for what it is.

Also it's totally unfair that Mary gets to be brought up to heaven just for assuming something, the rest of us just make an ass out of ourselves and everyone else

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Aftervirtue I feel like it's always Italians from other cities doing that. The stakes for them are always lower - they can always drive home a little later or come back next time if they miss out on some sight or another while in Rome. International travelers are always like "screw this. I didn't come all this way to not see this thing and what's a few Euros?"

I know that's what my attitude was.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah, not a fan, sorry OP.

I like Ivan Konstantinovich Aivazovsky and his obsession with the sea.

1961-The-Tenth-Wave.jpg

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Aftervirtue I feel like it's always Italians from other cities doing that. The stakes for them are always lower - they can always drive home a little later or come back next time if they miss out on some sight or another while in Rome. International travelers are always like "screw this. I didn't come all this way to not see this thing and what's a few Euros?"

I know that's what my attitude was.
That makes sense, us international tourists don't have time to wait, you guys have so much amazing stuff to see and there's never enough time.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would go with one of Van Gogh or Vermeer, much more sophisticated use of color.

497px-Vincent_Willem_van_Gogh_037.jpg

young_woman_with_a_water_pitcher.jpg

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Why is that?
Just curious: not here to attack, I promise. I was on record earlier on this forum denigrating people who think a blue dick on the wall is "art". Full disclosure lol

It's not that I don't think it can be art or can't appreciate the skill in the painting itself, but I have little respect for the Bible and its teachings or organized religion. Organized religion has been the root cause of a lot of woe in the lives of myself and much of my family, not to mention on the worldwide scale. That isn't to say I am against spirituality or even people going to a church (my grandparents now belong to a church community that is pretty great and has really helped them out), I just don't have time for it myself and it raises no questions or thoughts or feelings for me in the form of art.