• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

From director David Lowery and starring Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, and Joel Edgerton. The Green Knight – Summer 2020.

RELEASE DATE: Summer 2020
DIRECTOR: David Lowery
CAST: Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander and Joel Edgerton

"The Green Knight" stars Dev Patel as Sir Gawain, King Arthur's reckless nephew who embarks on a quest to confront and defeat the eponymous green-skinned stranger (viewers get a first look glimpse of the Green Knight in the final seconds of the trailer). "The Green Knight" is one of two high profile summer releases Dev Patel is leading following "The Personal History of David Copperfield" (in theaters May 8 from Searchlight Pictures). "The Green Knight" cast also includes Joel Edgerton, Barry Keoghan, Alicia Vikander, and "The Witch" duo Ralph Ineson and Kate Dickie. Sean Harris, best known for playing the villain in the recent "Mission: Impossible" films, has the role of King Arthur.

www.indiewire.com

‘The Green Knight’ Trailer: Dev Patel, David Lowery Dazzle With Indie Fantasy Epic

Lowery takes inspiration from the Arthurian legend "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" for his follow-up to "Old Man and the Gun."

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has always been one of my favorite stories, and it's super cool that it's getting what looks to be a fairly faithful adaptation.

Quality Arthurian movies are few and far between so, fingers crossed.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
latest

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Man between this and Copperfield my wife's crush on Dev Patel is gonna continue for the foreseeable future.

(I don't feel threatened. If I felt threatened she would also have to feel threatened.)

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
i'm having nightmare flashbacks to my first year as a lit student failing to translate the Middle English of the original text and having to make things up on the fly during the seminar when we were tasked with presenting passages. remember still liking it overall tho

anyway, this looks pretty great. great to see Dev Patel here. he was superb in David Copperfield.

I have never heard of this but it looks interesting. Is it a mix between history and legend?
it's based on an Arthurian story by an unknown poet from the Middle Ages, where one of the knights of the round table accepts a challenge by a mysterious green knight. i think there's plenty of translations available today if you're interested, it's pretty short.

Last edited:

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read the thread title thinking "Is this some movie? I bet it's not one of the few Arthurian stories I actually read. It sounds like some edgy action movie. I doubt it's about Sir Gawain".

*Clicks thread and watches video*

Well son of a King....

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
This is a very interesting thing to adapt, and you can see a clear line where they might take it in 2020 and that's sexy and exciting.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a simple man when i see A24 i just go and watch.
Art wise they just destroy everyone it's so good and can't even...

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has always been one of my favorite stories, and it's super cool that it's getting what looks to be a fairly faithful adaptation.

Quality Arthurian movies are few and far between so, fingers crossed.

I echo this post 100%. I love the Arthurian myths but most of the film adaptions are fucking shit. This looks incredible.

Nice to see 'The Wheel of Fortune' in a movie too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rota_Fortunae

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read the thread title thinking "Is this some movie? I bet it's not one of the few Arthurian stories I actually read. It sounds like some edgy action movie. I doubt it's about Sir Gawain".

*Clicks thread and watches video*

Well son of a King....

I mean it's called The Green Knight..who else is it going to be about?

Oct 25, 2017
That trailer is stunning. Looks like one of the best adaptations of Arthurian legend ever. Love the horror-dark fantasy vibes I'm getting here.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is an Arthurian legend, which are ooooooold myths.

You could choose to be believe there is some historical truth in it, or example you could choose to believe that Arthur and Gawain actually existed.

If you want to read the root of many of these stories have a look at Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain. You should not treat it as a historical record but there are lot of cool stories in there.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't in love with the trailer, but A24 has made some great releases so I'll keep my eye on this one.

I've also never heard of The Green Knight. May keep myself in the dark in case I watch the film.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that looks fucking fantastic. I also noticed what looked like a quick shot of a gigantic hand reaching up over a hill.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
A24 keeps distributing films that push the envelope and I'm always down for the ride. This looks like the adult focused fantasy adventure flick I've wanted all of my adult life.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Okay, how did I miss the fact that the guy who made A Ghost Story is the one who made Pete's Dragon?! That is so random.. now I feel kinda bad for him that it didn't do better.

This looks really interesting -- looking forward to a more substantial trailer.

less

Oct 25, 2017
That poster and the trailer are just top tier stuff. Glad to see Dev starring in what promises to be one hell of a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.