• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This is in reaction to the success of Black Panther, but I couldn't quite fit that in the title.

About half the article talks about what Afrofuturism is, but here's the short version:

The Guardian said:
Black Panther, AKA T'Challa, is one of Marvel's few black comic book characters and a key Afrofuturist figure, making the film a significant moment. It's also worth noting that the cast and crew are primarily black and the movie's tone reflects this. Rather than uprooting Black Panther to the streets of New York, which a white creative team may have done, the film takes place in Africa and a black kingdom, Wakanda, untouched by colonialism. Stepping beyond the roles normally reserved for black characters, the world of Wakanda delivers images of black people as scientists, innovators and statespeople and black women as strong, powerful and central.

And then here's a discussion of the recent major games we've had starring black people, and where they succeed and don't succeed in terms of showing different representations. Please read through this whole block before posting game titles.

The Guardian said:
Hollywood feels most comfortable with black leads in stories of brutalising oppression, such as 12 Years a Slave, Mudbound or Precious. These narratives often achieve mainstream and critical success. Understandably, the games industry uses Hollywood as a source of inspiration, but this means it's telling the same old stories of black men and women as criminals, slaves, sassy sidekicks, servants, bad mothers or prostitutes, if they appear at all.

Last year, Watchdogs 2 and Mafia III were applauded for their portrayals of the black experience. In Watchdogs 2, Marcus gently subverts the familiar formula of a black man in an urban setting because he's a hacker, rather than a gangster: he's more familiar with his laptop than a gun. The game does deal with microaggressions, such as facial recognition technology not recognising black faces, but ultimately Marcus is in a familiar inner-city setting with a hip-hop soundtrack.

Also released in 2017, Mafia III was a departure for the gangster-themed series, featuring the debut of its first black lead, Vietnam veteran Lincoln Clay. Set in the 1960s against the backdrop of the civil rights movement, the game doesn't shy away from the racism of the time and has been praised for its writing. Sadly, it still falls back on the familiar story of black struggle.

Even in Assassin's Creed: Origins, the first game in the series to be set in Africa, when the player comes back to the contemporary world rather than the historical Egypt conjured by Animus technology, the people in control are white. Once again, black people are relegated to history. They are not the masters of the technology on which the Assassin's Creed story hinges; they are phantoms from the past.

Occasionally, games do imagine a hi-tech future with black people and women as central figures, in stories that don't focus on their oppression. Both Fullbright's Tacoma and Dontnod's Remember Me managed this, but they are notable exceptions. Coding aliens as black is a trap that games often fall into, a recent example being the Angara in Mass Effect Andromeda. Jaal, the main character amongst the Angara, is played by a black voice actor; we later discover that they are being enslaved by another race.

If the only future for black characters in games is being thinly disguised as the exotic other, or reduced to the role of space slaves, it's really time to move on. Black Panther shows games a way to change the narrative.
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/feb/26/black-panther-is-a-wake-up-call-for-video-games

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was that RPG on Steam, Aurion. Maybe Bolt Riley? It is true that a lot of mainstream media about the black experience is "hey black people, here's how life SUCKED/SUCKS for you," instead of envisioning better worlds. Not-white people need some escapism too! Especially in a media that is conceivably supposed to be pure escapism (I mean, it's not really, it's just constantly brought up whenever games get into politics or social issues).

In terms of upcoming stuff, there's Valley of the Gods which looks pretty great. I'd also say Broken Age as a game with a black protagonist in a cheerier fantasy setting although the world isn't very big (generally a common flaw with point n click adventures) so you don't really get to see much into Vella's world.

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Only if they aren't allowed to have white hair, otherwise I'm not counting it.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Africa has so much potential
So many wars, corruption beautiful sights
One day I hope

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I'm playing through Watch Dogs 2 right now and loving Marcus. Reminds me of me.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Yes i say it's time, because i was like "im pretty sure there is plenty of those" but then i couldn't think of any example, so yes, we need much more.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 features a black lead.

I don't think it's even acknowledged that he's black.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther is interesting because it has black heroes, black villains AND "regular" people - and manages to capture American and African themes and design language almost effortlessly. It's my favorite movie of the year and is important for hundreds of reasons, but to me it's summed up beautifully by Killmonger's "just a kid from Oakland believing in fairytales "

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
7e8d8f60-5930-48c0-a567-318068b0ca26.png

Urban Chaos was so ahead of its time. They should bring back D'arci Stern for a reboot.

Edit: Urban Chaos is on Steam!

Worth checking out, it was a really ambitious game.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Black Panther had the benefit of having a black director and black cast. Unfortunately I can't think of any high profile game directors that are black off the top of my head. Sure any person can make a game with a black lead, but I think it can help when the people involved can relate to the subject at hand.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I bet /r/kotakuinaction is warming up its best 'white genocide' whining just reading this post.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 features a black lead.

I don't think it's even acknowledged that he's black.

Obviously we thought about it, but we took the approach that his character should be a badass 24th century CIA type. He could have been any ethnicity but we also wanted him to be a character black kids and white kids and all kids could look up to. Chief can be that too since we never showed his face (he's white in the fiction). everyone can "be" chief without the constant reminder he doesn't look like them.

My (seven year old) daughter is of mixed race but I love that her classmates think about racism as a thing old people did or do. I hope there's a snowball effect to that.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther had the benefit of having a black director and black cast. Unfortunately I can't think of any high profile game directors that are black off the top of my head. Sure any person can make a game with a black lead, but I think it can help when the people involved can relate to the subject at hand.

Tho, the things listed in the OP were things that already existed as part of the Black Panther mythos before the movie, granted having a Black director and crew on board made the movie resonate more with the audience, but it's kinda besides the thread's point.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I definitely agree. I really can't think of any memorable black protagonists that you play as, which is just sad. Does Laurence Barnes count? :P

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god please do so.

Loved Marcus in Watch Dogs 2.

Give me more to choose from.

Normal people who happens to be black, latino, asian, idian, etc.

There's no fucking reason why a Resident Evil Main Character couldn't be indian or asian. And not just because it plays in inda or china.

White shouldn't be the go to just because it was like this in the past.

That doesn't mean that it's suddenly not ok to make a game with a white main character but how about trying to alternate between white, black, asian, etc. and female ,male, etc.

Variety is the future of our species and just because some shitstains are crying bloody murder we shouldn't listen and just go onward.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the PS3 game Starhawk have a black protagonist?

I never got a chance to play it so I don't know how his story was handled, though from what I can recall hearing the game was basically a space western so maybe it didn't have the Afrocentric touches that people were looking for.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prototype 2 surely counts. Heller was a former Marine or something and he only wanted revenge because he thought Mercer was responsible for his family's death.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

There are plenty of publishers in a comfortable enough financial position to at least experiment with the theme. Nintendo could create a game based on a new Black character and with their polish it could still sell a million. The problem is they don't want to. Instead, they give us a chic who punches people with her hair weave and an Inkling. On top of that they keep financing lukewarm sellers like Bayonetta, a character who represents a greater risk to Nintendo's squeaky clean and conservative image. That's why I laugh whenever people compare them to Disney. Disney is like Motown compared to Nintendo.

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Tho, the things listed in the OP were things that already existed as part of the Black Panther mythos before the movie, granted having a Black director and crew on board made the movie resonate more with the audience, but it's kinda besides the thread's point.

The comics had black writers and others to flesh that out over the years. For the movie, the director wasn't just making the movie but he was also an advocate for it. He talked a lot of about wanting to have a comic hero that kids of color could look up to that looked like them. I don't think we have someone like that yet for videogames.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I dont know what these guys are talking about. I haven't seen much of that in gaming. Game has experimented with different black leads. The character type that's tired though is the black cop/mercenary.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
The comics had black writers and others to flesh that out over the years. For the movie, the director wasn't just making the movie but he was also an advocate for it. He talked a lot of about wanting to have a comic hero that kids of color could look up to that looked like them. I don't think we have someone like that yet for videogames.

This is sadly true, i can't think of a single Black game director that has any notoriety compared to japanese or white industry figureheads, which is a problem on itself.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man how could I forget?? Jade in Beyond Good & Evil. Although, again, it's just her. Her family consists of a talking pig and orphans.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Didn't the PS3 game Starhawk have a black protagonist?

I never got a chance to play it so I don't know how his story was handled, though from what I can recall hearing the game was basically a space western so maybe it didn't have the Afrocentric touches that people were looking for.

Starhawk was great, a personal favorite last generation. Emmett Graves was pretty gnarly, I dug the voice actor a lot.

Z3EZ7Od.jpg

Emmett Graves is the main protagonist of Starhawk, and is a hired gunslinger and mercenary helping to protect Rifter claims from Outcasts. He was formerly the owner of a salvaging operation for Rift Energy that was attacked by Outcasts. That attack caused an explosion that exposed him and his brother Logan to Rift Energy. His brother was turned, but Emmett was able to retain his humanity thanks to Sidney Cutter who developed a unique regulator that prevents the transformation, but causes him deep pain. The Outcast's mark is still left on him however, which leaves him ostarcized from society due to the fear that he can turn at any time. He feels torn by the fact that the leader of an outcasts warband that he is hunting down is his mutated brother Logan.

But, this is just one example from, what, five years ago? Six?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.

I think giving PoC more power in creative positions will greatly help with this. Let PoC create characters and worlds involving PoC.

Black Panther is interesting because it has black heroes, black villains AND "regular" people - and manages to capture American and African themes and design language almost effortlessly. It's my favorite movie of the year and is important for hundreds of reasons, but to me it's summed up beautifully by Killmonger's "just a kid from Oakland believing in fairytales "
That line made me tear up a bit.

But yeah, all those aspects were interwoven quite well without overtaking any individual part.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Unnecessary reaction imo; these games already exist. If the caveat is that they have to be "new", then keep expectations realistic. Because it'd be neat if there were more I suppose, but given the makeup of the AAA industry what's there seems more good than bad to me. Get an increase in more black game directors, programmers etc. you'll get better odds of more varied type of representation in the games themselves.

Also, some of the expectations of the people who are now calling for more stuff like Black Panther (but seem to do so as if pretending that has never happened in the gaming space) were also a lot of the same types calling for those oppressed/slave/gangsta etc. roles at that time. It's somewhat condescending to not acknowledge this.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Also released in 2017, Mafia III was a departure for the gangster-themed series, featuring the debut of its first black lead, Vietnam veteran Lincoln Clay. Set in the 1960s against the backdrop of the civil rights movement, the game doesn't shy away from the racism of the time and has been praised for its writing. Sadly, it still falls back on the familiar story of black struggle.
This felt bit odd to me, I agree that in movies such scenarios and themes have been often played out. But I don't think that many games have so directly delt with this. Sure games like Witcher have racism towards fictional races and in Deus Ex towards the augmented. I think this is something worthy of praise in Mafia 3 how authentic it tries to feel.

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
You know what's sad? I read the thread title and went "yeah! Just like!....." And I still can't fucking think of a single one. That really sucks

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The video game industry, especially within lead positions (directors, producers), isn't very diverse. The lack of diverse lead characters is a byproduct of that.

I don't think the video game industry has developed enough to be capable of making its 'Black Panther'. But it's something the industry is getting closer to every year.

Erik Twice

Nov 2, 2017
I keep thinking that nobody has yet mentioned that the latest Netrunner cycle takes place in Africa and is very much the tech-based, black representing game many are asking for. It's also one of the best games ever made, which helps.