• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Any list that tries to tally single player and multiplayer experiences in the same category is inherently trash

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i wonder if at some point people will realize that its impossible to make a best of list of anything that will satisfy everyone.

Apr 21, 2018
No Metroid Prime is a huge loss of cred.

Also, wtf with MGSV over MGS3 and MGS2. Does a single person on ERA share that blasphemous opinion? MGSV is like a polished engine and tech demo without a game.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Metroid Prime is a huge loss of cred.

Also, wtf with MGSV over MGS3 and MGS2. Does a single person on ERA share that blasphemous opinion? MGSV is like a polished engine and tech demo without a game.

MGSV might be in my all-time top ten. MGS3 is a solid 8/10, really good game. The rest are okay (MGS) to bad (MGS4).

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Hot take: I like it a lot, but Witcher 3 isn't even a top 20 game on a list like this, let alone top 5.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Really boring and shallow list that doesn't show any particular taste or interest... also some bizarre omissions, I'd want to see at least four or five of these:

Bayonetta
Beyond Good & Evil
Cave Story
Civilization IV
Cuphead
FTL
Ikaruga
Marvel VS Capcom 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metroid Prime
Nier Automata
Persona 4
Okami
Splatoon
Valkyria Chronicles

I mean, no Metroid Prime? No fighting games except for Smash? No strategy games? Come on...

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that top 5 is surprisingly on point. can't argue with minecraft taking the top spot, breath of the wild is the high water mark for open world adventure games right now, dark souls is a 'nuff said kind of thing its legacy is unquestionable, half life 2 because of course half life 2, witcher 3 is the only one that could get bumped for something else I feel like. honestly feels like if minecraft and half life 2 are so high then world of warcraft and halo should be higher because both are great games that have held up in their own right but also changed the landscape of video games in similar ways.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Remove GTA V and RDR 2, Limbo and MGSV, replace Skyrim with Fallout New Vegas, replace Overwatch with Team Fortress 2, add Metroid Prime and you've got a pretty good list.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
MGSV seems like the Team America: World Police of this particular Guardian list, but generally speaking it holds together a lot better than the film list did.

Oct 25, 2017
Really boring and shallow list that doesn't show any particular taste or interest... also some bizarre omissions, I'd want to see at least four or five of these:

Bayonetta
Marvel VS Capcom 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metroid Prime
Nier Automata
Persona 4
Okami

I mean, no Metroid Prime? No fighting games except for Smash? No strategy games? Come on...

Do wish at least a few of those were on here but not a bad list overall

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
The lack of MP games pretty much automatically invalidated this list. We really need games journalists with a more representative variety of tastes lol

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
My list would be incredibly different (Half-Life 2 is the only game in the top 10 that would guarantee cracking my personal top 10), but I can't hate it. I think Papers, Please belongs way higher on the list. I'd have found a way to fit Stardew Valley and some version of Counter-Strike on there.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
The lack of MP games pretty much automatically invalidated this list. We really need games journalists with a more representative variety of tastes lol
It'd be interesting to see who they did poll. Was it just those with direct ties to the Grauniad, or did they reach out beyond that? What was the age/gender ratio? The lack of handheld and mobile games is particularly odd.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good list.

- Swap INSIDE in for Limbo.
- Lack of Metroid Prime is ridiculous.
- Bioshock is WAY too high.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't have to scroll down far enough to see Resident Evil 4. That stands out straight away. Oh and as does the lack of both Galaxy games, we should have all agreed by now that 2 is just the best game.

And no Ghost Trick Phantom Detective not that I expected it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm fine with this list. It is definitely a list of 50 games that came out in the last 20 years.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV included instead of the previous games is the worst thing about this list.

It should not even rank.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Super lacking in most of the shit I care about. Do brits generally not like RPGs? Nearly every UK focused best game ever list seems to be lacking in that field.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Super lacking in most of the shit I care about. Do brits generally not like RPGs? Nearly every UK focused best game ever list seems to be lacking in that field.
Likely just the preference of the people making the list - driving and sports games do very well over here, but they're barely represented on the list.

Which RPGs do you think are missing?

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
not sure how OverWatch made the list and not Diablo 2 or Warcraft 3 which were the far superior blizzard games.