• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Give me a prequel about the origin of the shuffle alliance. That character design is giving me vibes

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Frozen Teardrop is dogshit. The only Wing remake you are going to get is Glory of the Losers.

I'm hoping the Mobile Fighter Academy proposal got picked up, that looked really interesting

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
That's never gonna happen. Wing is really popular with a section of western millennials, but overall it isn't that big and the kits don't sell that well. It also still looks fine so what's the point of a remake.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
It was the most popular of the three original AUs in Japan, and was certainly the most popular gundam series in America.

That's why it got an OVA sequel while G Gundam has gotten like a comic remake and Gundam X got cancelled.

That's not true. G Gundam did better, but Wing was still very successful in its time. But that was then. Wing isn't selling great anymore. That's why most of the W kits go to PB now, because the retail interest isn't there, though the MG line that is like a decade old at this point is largely to blame for lack of retailer interest. Wings and Wing Zeroes sold but most else did not.

Oct 8, 2019
That's not true. G Gundam did better, but Wing was still very successful in its time. But that was then. Wing isn't selling great anymore. That's why most of the W kits go to PB now, because the retail interest isn't there, though the MG line that is like a decade old at this point is largely to blame for lack of retailer interest. Wings and Wing Zeroes sold but most else did not.
Gunota Headlines had all the tv ratings up to season 1 of Gundam 00 where MSG reruns where by far the highest and Gundam X having the worst (though that's due to changing times to a crap timeslot, with Turn A Gundam also bombing.

Gundam Wing got a 4.3% average rating while G Gundam got a 4.1% average rating very close but Gundam Wing was more popular despite competing with Neon Genesis Evangelion.

In the Anime Grand Prix G Gundam got 9 and 12 while Gundam Wing got 2nd, 4th and 14th for Endless Waltz

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Ah my bad. You're right. I was honestly going off of an Imagawa interview from a book about Berserk(97)' where he said G Gundam was the most profitable Gundam series of the 90s which was finishing its run in 95 as he was joining the Berserk staff.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Is kind of funny that you say this where at least we got the wing TV series kit at retail but the G Gundam shuffle aliance just went straight to PBandai.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Is kind of funny that you say this where at least we got the wing TV series kit at retail but the G Gundam shuffle aliance just went straight to PBandai.
Oh don't get me wrong, G Gundam is dead at retail. Death Army sold so poorly it's going to be tough to get any retailer to buy in on G anytime soon. The W kits haven't sold well but they def sold better than that by leagues. I was shocked when Bandai couldn't get retailer interest in the HGAC Deathscythe Hell, even when the GotL MGs were bombing, Deathscythe sold well enough to get Hell a retail release.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh don't get me wrong, G Gundam is dead at retail. Death Army sold so poorly it's going to be tough to get any retailer to buy in on G anytime soon. The W kits haven't sold well but they def sold better than that by leagues. I was shocked when Bandai couldn't get retailer interest in the HGAC Deathscythe Hell, even when the GotL MGs were bombing, Deathscythe sold well enough to get Hell a retail release.
Death army was such a dumb pick to start with

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm not surprised Death Army anything would sell so bad.

There's jobber suits and then there's Death Army.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So GundamInfo put up the textless openings and endings for both Seed shows. I was like maybe I'll rewatch the show with my kids since the movie just came out.

I don't know if it's because the text is missing but man there is a kind of shocking amount of (non descript) nudity in the openings. Granted they reuse a ton of shots between openings but man. Like I remember the "bounce" a little and that egregious Athrun leaving Cagalli still but yeesh.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Just wanna say that 2 days after watching SEED Freedom I'm still coping with how bad it was. Headache inducing. It was probably the most I've laughed in the cinema in a really long time but not for good reasons. The first half is super boring, and second half is intense and unadulterated SEED Destiny ++ content relentlessly shoved in your face for over an hour. Pure fanservice nonsense and unearned beamspam victories in succession one after another.

It's impressive they got this made. It's impressive it took them 20 years to realise they didn't even need to try.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna say that 2 days after watching SEED Freedom I'm still coping with how bad it was. Headache inducing. It was probably the most I've laughed in the cinema in a really long time but not for good reasons. The first half is super boring, and second half is intense and unadulterated SEED Destiny ++ content relentlessly shoved in your face for over an hour. Pure fanservice nonsense and unearned beamspam victories in succession one after another.

It's impressive they got this made. It's impressive it took them 20 years to realise they didn't even need to try.
Was it at least entertaining in a funny bad kind of way?

sderttreds

Jan 6, 2023
That's gotta be bait.
Dwg2-quess-paraya.jpg

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I really disliked the last 5 - 10 minutes of CCA a lot but still an incredible movie.
Also, AFAIK, it's only Gundam show with the Hobby Hizack so +10 points.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I didn't care much for CCA when I first watched it a decade ago, but eventually when I get around to my 79/Zeta/ZZ rewatch I'll throw it on too and see if I feel differently.

Oct 8, 2019
I really disliked the last 5 - 10 minutes of CCA a lot but still an incredible movie.
Also, AFAIK, it's only Gundam show with the Hobby Hizack so +10 points.

The last ten minutes of CCA are some of the finest parts of Gundam. Char's entire plan is about him fighting Amuro one final time, no matter the cost, and he gets his ass kicked. Amuro dunks him into Axis and Amuro gets through to everyone fighting, the Federation and Zeon unite to save the Earth. Char's final moments are him arguing with Amuro about past grievances that he cant just let go.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The last ten minutes of CCA are some of the finest parts of Gundam. Char's entire plan is about him fighting Amuro one final time, no matter the cost, and he gets his ass kicked. Amuro dunks him into Axis and Amuro gets through to everyone fighting, the Federation and Zeon unite to save the Earth. Char's final moments are him arguing with Amuro about past grievances that he cant just let go.
Amuro's last thoughts being "dude seriously what the actual fu-" at Char's weird issues will never stop being hilarious.

Completely unironically an absolute peak of a conclusion to one of the most iconic rivalries in Japanese media.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Char's Counterattack is absolutely incredible. It isn't perfect, Tomino had a lot of ideas he couldn't fit into a movie. So much so that he wrote two versions of the story in novels.

most complaints I see are petty or cases of absolute media illiteracy. Whining about Quess not understanding her place in the story, weirdos who think there is a Loli element or pedo char jokes or those who don't understand Char's issues in general are about how Lalah was the only person who ever loved him unconditionally and his issues grappling with who he is, his role and his failures.

But to be fair the movie doesn't give you a lot of that context. You kind of need to read Hi Streamer, Beltorchicka's Children and Lalah's Secret Rendezvous. Which is a big ass except for the most autistic of Gundam fans like me lol

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Char's Counterattack is absolutely incredible. It isn't perfect, Tomino had a lot of ideas he couldn't fit into a movie. So much so that he wrote two versions of the story in novels.

most complaints I see are petty or cases of absolute media illiteracy. Whining about Quess not understanding her place in the story, weirdos who think there is a Loli element or pedo char jokes or those who don't understand Char's issues in general are about how Lalah was the only person who ever loved him unconditionally and his issues grappling with who he is, his role and his failures.

But to be fair the movie doesn't give you a lot of that context. You kind of need to read Hi Streamer, Beltorchicka's Children and Lalah's Secret Rendezvous. Which is a big ass except for the most autistic of Gundam fans like me lol

Wait so I have to watch three entire series AND read books without pictures? What is this, homework?

Like most things I watched when I was younger the main thing I remember is how great the 1/100 Nu Gundam kit was, especially for that time.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty obvious just from the show that he's not actually interested in Quess. He's manipulating her because she's useful as a Newtype but that's it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

The whiplash between "the movie is absolutely incredible and the people who don't like it are illiterate" and "you need to read 3 books to understand it" is palpable.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
people who don't like it are illiterate
Media illiterate, actually. Different thing entirely and absolutely how people who rush to hot takes end up with their foot in their mouth. CCA is good but defintely has it's weirdness to sift through to get to the ultimate meaning of it all.

Dacabria's point is that even Tomino was unsatisfied with how the movie conveyed a lot of it's ideas due to the run time and challenges of creating a movie. A lot of that ended up getting turned into novels where he landed on something he was more satisfied with and gets the messages across more clearly.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily consider it a hot take if they watch the movie and come away with one thing and not the alternate, complete version of the story in some other format. I mean judge the movie on it's own merits, not what it could have/should have been, no?

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely don't think you need to read anything to actually get CCA's full context. This is the first time I've ever seen someone make that take. A take that is deeply flawed considering the reading list includes an alternative spin on CCA itself.

CCA is not without its issues considering how fast-paced it is and the Tomino-isms of its dialogue. However, there seem to be two general issues the western fandom takes with the movie, and both revolve around perspectives/assumptions more specific to the western fandom. And those are;

-Quess, Hathaway, etc. This has already been hit on. Char's not a pedo. These characters exist to show the next generation as a foil to Amuro and Char's own experiences when younger, as well as to show the cycle of war and how these characters are being manipulated and/or failed the same way that Amuro and Char were in their youth.

-Char's motivations/characterization. The western fandom often writes off ZZ for numerous reasons, but its events - specifically as far as the Federation goes - are essential to Char's motivation in CCA and why he is absolutely not acting out of character or going against his actions in Zeta. He is in line with every word he said in his speech at Dakar. He tried Amuro's way of giving people a chance to change, but the old guard/elites still in charge were the same as ever (also an important detail because his entire plan in CCA to get a hold of Axis is based on exploiting the very corruption and incompetence of Federation leadership that had led him to that point).

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying you need to read anything to get CCA. I think it stands fine on its own but I admit it has some notable flaws.

I'm saying Tomino was only able to express what he specifically was trying to say with the film through his novels. And if you are interested in exploring all of what he was specifically trying to say, that's kind of the only way. I also admitted that's a giant ask. But I typoed it as giant ass and I'm not gonna edit because it makes me giggle.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
This is a trivial semantics debate I'm not particularly interested in having. My point is that if you have to read outside material to understand the movie, then the movie doesn't really work.
I mean there's no need to debate. They are literally different things. To be able to read, write and understand the things on a page vs passively experiencing a film or show and not understanding the visual mediums metaphor and visual story telling is a separate thing entirely. It's not a trivial difference at all and I absolutely read posts from people online who absolutely only experience shows and films passively without digging in on the visual language and performances that make some parts of a story clear without saying them explicitly.

I'll not discuss it further tho. It's not worth derailing.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm not saying you need to read anything to get CCA. I think it stands fine on its own but I admit it has some notable flaws.

I'm saying Tomino was only able to express what he specifically was trying to say with the film through his novels. And if you are interested in exploring all of what he was specifically trying to say, that's kind of the only way. I also admitted that's a giant ask. But I typoed it as giant ass and I'm not gonna edit because it makes me giggle.
This makes me want to see Hi-Streamer adaptation.

Not aure if Tomino would sign off on it being made though.