• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
So what is the reprehensible behavior of Dozle that I have forgotten?
I start from the premise that people in the military won't ever be saints but he seems honest with his subordinates and he seems to care for them.
Was he behind the gassing of one of the colonies? I cannot recall if that was him or Ghiren.
I do recall Ramba Ral being ousted for being against those attacks.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, Dozle definitely shouldn't have gone along with Ghiren's plan and Ramba Ral was in the right. So, in the end, he's responsible for genocide and a war criminal even if those were technically his enemies. Therefore, he does not deserve being called decent.
The contrast is that the Zabi family is a viper's nest. The other siblings have no qualms about killing even their family members except Garma who is an incompetent fool.
In fact, one of the things I dislike about Garma is that, even though he is an adult, he seems to be oblivious of what kind of terrible family he is part of. Something that, at least, Dozle seems to understand.
In the end, even if all those Zabi are an unsavory bunch, if I had to reluctantly choose one of them to have my back, it would still be Dozle.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Dozle definitely shouldn't have gone along with Ghiren's plan and Ramba Ral was in the right. So, in the end, he's responsible for genocide and a war criminal even if those were technically his enemies. Therefore, he does not deserve being called decent.
The contrast is that the Zabi family is a viper's nest. The other siblings have no qualms about killing even their family members except Garma who is an incompetent fool.
In fact, one of the things I dislike about Garma is that, even though he is an adult, he seems to be oblivious of what kind of terrible family he is part of. Something that, at least, Dozle seems to understand.
In the end, even if all those Zabi are an unsavory bunch, if I had to reluctantly choose one of them to have my back, it would still be Dozle.
I mean Kycilia shot Ghiren in the back if I remember right so there really aren't too many safe options with that scenario.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I mean Kycilia shot Ghiren in the back if I remember right so there really aren't too many safe options with that scenario.
It's also implied she did Sasro as well. While Ghiren didn't hesitate to torch Degwin.
Dozle at least regrets his acts (which doesn't exonerate him) in the same episode he carries out operation British when visiting Mineva (only to do a 180º minutes later, SMH).

Last edited:

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and he just kept going like it never happen. His pretty wife and baby daughter doesn't exactly humanize him for me after that.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
The Victory novels are really good. There is a ton of backstory on Zanscare, how they rose to power, how it was a coalition that gave way to fanaticism and religious lunacy and how it's people didn't buy into it wholly but it brought about a lot of economic change that they accepted it and lots of preying on the idea of new types and evolutionary superiority. Tons of stuff nowhere to be found in the show lol.

Lots of weird Tominoisms in it. Shakti and Uso are much older and there is a bunch of sketch ass situations and tons of sexual overtones with the Shrikes and Marbets pregnancy is explored a lot more thoroughly with her trying to end it in battle and stuff that is handled with the subtlety of a sledge hammer.

It does lean heavily into Gaia Gear more than the anime though heavily insinuating that Uso might be a descendent of Char and Rezen Schneider and Zanscare talks of trying to clone Char, Amuro and Judau

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I agree on the Dozel stuff but still mostly like him as a member of the insane Zabi family. Like you guys said, he still carried out the war crime of gassing an entire population of both civilian and military targets. Under orders or not I thought it was great they showed how he was at least opposed to it causing the argument with Ral. I think Dozel would have known he and his family would have been targeted (again) if he did not fall in with the plan though considering how the rest of the family acts. His wife and baby would have been nixed pretty quick I'm sure.

Dozel kinda shows one of the things I like about Gundam as a whole, he wasn't some curly mustached bad guy killing to kill. He was a reluctant cog in the war. A high up one but still just another person getting carried along with how things went. Kacilia and Ghirin were just monsters in comparison to him. Then again I find characters like him more interesting than others.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
DP cause I did not see it lol.
Both shoulder joints for my MG Shenron EW snapped while building... Thankfully I managed to fix it with Tamiya cement but it surprised me how bad some of the parts are.

Yeah some parts are randomly finnicky or brittle. It really is random though. The chest on my MG Gundam Origin snapped right in half when I was making it, but thats like the only weak part I've come across in the kits I've built.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Zabis were all terrible people.

The Victory novels are really good. There is a ton of backstory on Zanscare, how they rose to power, how it was a coalition that gave way to fanaticism and religious lunacy and how it's people didn't buy into it wholly but it brought about a lot of economic change that they accepted it and lots of preying on the idea of new types and evolutionary superiority. Tons of stuff nowhere to be found in the show lol.

Awesome

Lots of weird Tominoisms in it. Shakti and Uso are much older and there is a bunch of sketch ass situations and tons of sexual overtones with the Shrikes and Marbets pregnancy is explored a lot more thoroughly with her trying to end it in battle and stuff that is handled with the subtlety of a sledge hammer.

...n-not awesome

It does lean heavily into Gaia Gear more than the anime though heavily insinuating that Uso might be a descendent of Char and Rezen Schneider and Zanscare talks of trying to clone Char, Amuro and Judau

Interesting. Is this where that persistent theory originated where fans were insisting about Usso's lineage being connected to Char?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Interesting. Is this where that persistent theory originated where fans were insisting about Usso's lineage being connected to Char?
Well, Uso's mother is called Muller Miguel and I think Holly said Rezin Schneider but I believe she meant Nanai Miguel who was having an affair with Char during CCA.
There's always been this idea about the Miguel surname being a remnant of a discarded plot in the anime about Uso being their descendant.

Last edited:

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Uso's mother is called Muller Miguel and I think Holly said Rezin Schneider but I believe she meant Nanai Miguel who was having an affair with Char during CCA.
There's always been this idea about the Miguel surname being a remnant of a discarded plot in the anime about Uso being their descendant.

Holly would not make that mistake.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Rezin banging Char seems a bit out of character but hey, it's Tomino, applying logic to his plots isn't always the best of ideas.

Oh and today I learnt Rezin's actual surname is Schnyder instead of Schneider. This is some Berenstain shit right here.

Last edited:

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Char probably had relations with a lot of women so he could manipulate them. Rezin died though, unless she doesn't die in Beltorchika's Children.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Rezin dies in CCA (no idea about the novelizations) and I have my doubts about her being a mother before the Axis events (never underestimate Tomino, though). In contrast, Nanai survives and her being pregnant like Beltorchika in the novels is perfectly plausible.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
So if you go looking for continuity in the novels you are going to be really really disappointed. Amuro fucking dies in the OYW trilogy, the Zeta novels and in BC. The ZZ novels pick up from the anime canon, and all kinds of weirdness.

But yes while Nanai is the fan theory. The V novels mention Schnyder specifically, though, but from a propaganda POV. As in this guy is suspected to be Chars decendent and Char was with Rezen so she must be who he is related to.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
OK, then I guess it can be interpreted as a bunch of zealots inventing excuses several decades after the fact to justify the idea of some purebred that had to have a pair of newtype pilots as his ascendants. I don't think Rezin is ever confirmed as a newtype even though she is an excellent pilot. Her hatred for cyber-newtypes would indicate that she supported the idea or at least wished she were a newtype? That didn't save her from being blown up by mere Chan Agi with the help of the all-powerful "T psychoframes are for Tomino".

Most of what I know comes from the animated features, the only novel I've read is the OYW trilogy and I didn't enjoy it that much.

The repeated lack of continuity for the novels just cements Tomino as a hack for me. Not being able to follow continuity from the first novel is somewhat understandable, nobody knew the series would explode at the time. Afterwards, it is just him being a mess who doesn't really give a fuck.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the novels are all good with a lot of interesting ideas but they are all just these weird hodgepodges that don't relate to anything else outside their own series that take bits and pieces of different elements and combine them. If he had a good editor and a writer to make his ideas a little better and more cohesive it would be great. But as is he is so heavy handed it's almost laughable at times.

If you've read the original trilogy, shit like the pubic hair scene keeps happening, lol

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah the novels are all good with a lot of interesting ideas but they are all just these weird hodgepodges that don't relate to anything else outside their own series that take bits and pieces of different elements and combine them. If he had a good editor and a writer to make his ideas a little better and more cohesive it would be great. But as is he is so heavy handed it's almost laughable at times.

If you've read the original trilogy, shit like the pubic hair scene keeps happening, lol
I'm sure the publishers would gladly give a decent editor to smooth Tomino's craziness but he looks like the person that refuses to.

I do remember the pubic hair thing (although I've forgotten whether it was Fraw Bow's or Sayla's). In any case, it was a bit WTF.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Just got done watching Gundam Narrative.

If I'm understanding correctly, this is the last we see of the pshyco-frame technology in mobile suits? The upcoming Hathaway's Flash movie trilogy won't have any of it?

Felt great when the rearrangement of Sawano's Cage song started playing.

----------------------------

Anyway, next is to watch the TV compilation of The Origin on Crunchyroll.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
We're getting Unicorn 2, so there's that. As far as I know, Hathaway's Flash doesn't have psycoframe technology but there will be newtypes, funnels, newtype ghosts.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the publishers would gladly give a decent editor to smooth Tomino's craziness but he looks like the person that refuses to.

I do remember the pubic hair thing (although I've forgotten whether it was Fraw Bow's or Sayla's). In any case, it was a bit WTF.
I was thinking about it and Origin is basically exactly what we described. And it is perfect.

Someone give Yas the Grypps war please

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Am I weird for hating Unicorn in animation and drawings but loving the models of it? Going to make the jump into a Unicorn kit at some point but looking at the PG on youtube made me really tempted.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Uso being Char's descendant was indeed an early scrapped plot point.

The formation of Zanscare is more interesting than the actual day to day of a twisted theological state. I mean the head of state has actual divine healing powers in a world where the most magical thing is usually some force ghosts and a little bit of precognition/telepathy, so it makes sense how it develops around her. What isn't really stressed enough in Victory is the whole angle of it being a completely anti-patriarcal society that in fact blames men for all of society ills but does go into how this is all bs and its just another ploy by spacenoids to take over the earth and cut peoples heads off.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
As a writer/ director, what would you all say are some of Tomino's strengths and weaknesses?
Tomino is good because he's a person that thinks out of the box and he is not afraid of exploring unconventional ideas. In my opinion, his weakness is that, sometimes, his penchant for crazy goes far enough that it hurts his creations and it seems there's no one with the authority or will to keep him in check. Another weakness is that he seems to care little about minutiae and consistency, worrying about the big picture but letting the details suffer as a consequence.
it being a completely anti-patriarcal society that in fact blames men for all of society ills
They should have Martha Carbine as their prophet. Although her animated debut came after V's airing.

Nov 4, 2017
For me Tomino is able to clearly define a lot of characters and whomever does the art for each series he works on does a good job of making those characters also stand out. Like there are a lot of minor characters I really like seeing like Apolly and Miashei. Also a lot of details seem well considered which makes the universe seem plausible.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Tomino has good ideas about the politics/set-ups of his worlds (even if he can't always get them across), as well as the theming of his series.

He also shies away from anime tropes and isn't afraid to have his characters act in a non-badass way to situations, even to the point where they might die unceremoniously.

His biggest downside is that he sometimes his characters' motivations switch on the fly, which makes their arcs feel uncohesive and confusing. Additionally, depending on the series, his plots suffer from compression sometimes.

Last edited:

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
The characters can be talking about something serious and their thoughts can immediately switch to something unrelated. This is especially true of his non-Gundam shows excluding Turn A and G Reco. To me it's just another quirky Tominoism though.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately think G-Reco is brilliant, though I never got to talking about it here because I never got up the gumption to talk about how much I like season 1 of 00 and how much I loathe season 2. I couldn't parse it all in one post.

G-Reco is in fact a better version of what Tomino was aiming for with Turn A, though the music isn't as nice and it lacks the nostalgia bombs and amazing cell art.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
G Reco was good and hopefully it gets more mileage with the movies. I thought it was an understood fact 00 season 1 was good and everything after it is bad?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but I literally couldn't bring myself to sit down and write up my thoughts about how bad the second season is like I did for every Gundam series before that.

Then I realized I'd have to do AGE after that, a show so boring I don't remember a lot of it despite watching it only two years ago.

00 ruined itself in the back half to such an incredible degree that it broke my will to continue.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I might try again when I finish the last of Build Divers and maybe The Origin.

The best part of the project was finally making all the way through F91 and G Reco. F91 is proto Victory Gundam while G Reco is a better Turn A.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re: 00 post S1 - Understood opinion but yeah.

I'm of the opinion that G-Reco was awful (and I loved Turn A). But that's through the experience of watching it week by week, I plan to rewatch it when I get the blu-ray and see if binging it changes my opinion.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
That makes me really excited for G Reco, because it has a reputation for being nonsensical. I love Turn A, it may be my favorite Gundam thing I've seen.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That price tho.

36-C7-B942-F985-4522-98-EE-71569-BFF3-D98.jpg

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
The RG Perfect Strike is up on Bluefin's website for pretty much the equivalent of the Japanese retail price. God I hope this is a permanent thing.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought about this when I was going through boxes and found my MG of it, I wonder why we never got an RG or a MG ver. RM of the Strike Noir. Or an HGCE. They've got new Strike molds but we never got a new version of the Noir.

Maybe I'm the only one who loves the Noir.