• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

WavyLawfulDegu-max-1mb.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, my Barbatos Diabolos is drying, still apart and the wings still masking taped so I don't know what it's going to look like whole... but I'm excited!

Will post a pic once done (or edit if no one has posted).

Oct 27, 2017
Eeesh... I need to be a bit tighter on the masking tape. I either have a LOT of touching up to do before bringing it in or skipping the calendar altogether and just appreciating my effort by myself lol.

20191116_230456k9k8g.jpg

20191116_231711asjag.jpg

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I've built 3 MG this week. Hyaku-Shiki, Freedom 2.0 Clear Version and Deathscythe EW. Now I've got a backlog consisting of MG ZZ Ver. Ka. Which probably will be a hand grenade, MG HeavyArms EW, MG Proto Zero which both are older kits similar to the Deathscythe I just built. MG Phenex, which will be my first Unicorn/Narrative kit. The Shin Musha Gundam with the weapon display and screens. 2 HG Maganac to go with my Wing collection. RG Tallgeese that I have the MG of already. PG Freedom which I plan to build at the end and a 1/1700 Argama.

I kind of want to build the Argama next, but it's in all white and I've never painted anything before. How difficult would it be, and how many supplies would I have to pick up to hand paint it?

Oct 27, 2017
I've built 3 MG this week. Hyaku-Shiki, Freedom 2.0 Clear Version and Deathscythe EW. Now I've got a backlog consisting of MG ZZ Ver. Ka. Which probably will be a hand grenade, MG HeavyArms EW, MG Proto Zero which both are older kits similar to the Deathscythe I just built. MG Phenex, which will be my first Unicorn/Narrative kit. The Shin Musha Gundam with the weapon display and screens. 2 HG Maganac to go with my Wing collection. RG Tallgeese that I have the MG of already. PG Freedom which I plan to build at the end and a 1/1700 Argama.

I kind of want to build the Argama next, but it's in all white and I've never painted anything before. How difficult would it be, and how many supplies would I have to pick up to hand paint it?
I find painting different pieces different colors easy. But if one piece is supposed to be multiple colors, that's where I had difficulty with the wings above.

So if it's the former, you can buy those alligator clips on sticks and either use foam blocks or buy those corrugated cardboard box packs to hold the sticks. I've been spray painting and experimented with a brush on lacquer or acrylic once which was very difficult to get a smooth finish (my F91's chest I've posted in the past).

After drying, spray with a top coat with your choice of finish. I've been using matte.

Just note, I'm only just a beginner with this and someone else could give much better tips. But I've enjoyed my custom painted kits.

Here's my first attempt on the same Deathscythe kit you mentioned:

20190721_185352j7kyr.jpg

I used a matte black on all "black" pieces and used a gold gundam marker on the yellow/orange parts. Sprayed over everything with a matte top which takes away the plastic look on the white.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, here's what I went with. I added veiny stripes on the wings to try and hide some of the blemishes. I'm pleased and the shop owner took some amazing pics with his light box set up (I'll share the calendar images in the future).

20191117_160035nnkyw.jpg

20191117_16010473jmd.jpg

20191117_160128xmkq7.jpg

20191117_160356j0kv9.jpg

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I find painting different pieces different colors easy. But if one piece is supposed to be multiple colors, that's where I had difficulty with the wings above.

So if it's the former, you can buy those alligator clips on sticks and either use foam blocks or buy those corrugated cardboard box packs to hold the sticks. I've been spray painting and experimented with a brush on lacquer or acrylic once which was very difficult to get a smooth finish (my F91's chest I've posted in the past).

After drying, spray with a top coat with your choice of finish. I've been using matte.

Just note, I'm only just a beginner with this and someone else could give much better tips. But I've enjoyed my custom painted kits.

Here's my first attempt on the same Deathscythe kit you mentioned:

20190721_185352j7kyr.jpg

I used a matte black on all "black" pieces and used a gold gundam marker on the yellow/orange parts. Sprayed over everything with a matte top which takes away the plastic look on the white.

See this pic it makes me cry. My MG Deathscyth EW, It Broken for 5-6 years now and i have no time to buy a new one or second hand yet.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible. Next year is Wing's 25th anniversary.

If they do, they're gonna seriously have to rework some of the Wing Zero EW kits, instead of doing a recolor and extra accessory job. The MG especially, there's no way in hell that old kit could handle a third set of wings. The RG maybe could, but the Zwergs are a bit heavy, they'd need some stands to hold the wings up in Mode Anthem.

My money is on a HGAC, if it gets a kit. Or would it be HGMC (High Grade Mars Century), since Frozen Teardrop happens in MC 0022?

Or, more likely, they'll do the (overdue) HGAC Wing Zero EW and then have Snow White Prelude be P-Bandai.

Last edited:

PatriotSaro

Banned
Nov 8, 2019
I bought my ticket to see Chars Counterattack. I'm the only one...
If anyone else is in Irvine, CA and wants to see it at Irvine Spectrum, hit me up.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I re-watched Twilight Axis, this time in the Red Blur compilation "film".

I actually enjoyed it! the first half is this sort of disjointed mess of out of order flashbacks within flashbacks that requires you to put the pieces together which is pretty annoying, but the second half is mostly straightforward. I definitely think doubling the length of the thing would have helped a lot, and some of the MS designs are really whacky, but it's far from horrendous. The soundtrack is also really great.

I think most of the backlash came from a misunderstanding of what Twilight Axis was going to be. It's a super low budget short that was originally broken up into 3 minute chunks (Which is a questionable way to break up any story, honestly.) but I remember leading up to release I was under the impression that it was a proper OVA, at least Thunderbolt length.

I do hope to see a RightStuf Blu Ray of this, though it's a hard sell for anyone. Maybe something like a "Gundam Extras" that includes Gundam-San and Gundam Evolve.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my pre-order in for Snow White. BBTS has the price jacked up but they only require $96 now and the rest later, many of the other proxies wanted the entire amount up front and I just don't have it. So I went with BBTS.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So when the hell are we going to get a new proper Gundam series?
It's been over 2 years since IBO ended.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
? ReRise is great. We just had a major motion picture, have another on the way and Thundrrbolt is waiting on more source material.

And the last proper Gundam TV show ended in 1994.:P

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Four episodes in (for me, not the show), I'm not really all that disappointed by it. It's definitely not as bad as you say.
Even AGE is better than ReRise.
A series in a franchise that thrives on its antagonists yet it hasn't properly shown one after eight episodes. And this is only my major pet peeve.
The series has numerous problems that I don't care to go into detail but last week's episode was particularly egregious in how terribly cheap it looked with an embarrassing amount of scenes being just pans on still images. Something I could forgive in anime with great dialogue but, let's be honest, it doesn't even have that.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Re:Rise is fun, but fuck all this movie junk. Give me a show set in the UC or another AU Gundam series.
You are never going to get another UC TV series. UC Gundam is Gundam that is always going to have the highest quality most expensive productions now and the UC fan base tends to be older, not the type of people who are going to stay up until 1AM to watch anime(Janai)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Even AGE is better than ReRise.
A series in a franchise that thrives on its antagonists yet it hasn't properly shown one after eight episodes. And this is only my major pet peeve.
The series has numerous problems that I don't care to go into detail but last week's episode was particularly egregious in how terribly cheap it looked with an embarrassing amount of scenes being just pans on still images. Something I could forgive in anime with great dialogue but, let's be honest, it doesn't even have that.

I think we're looking for different things in shows lol

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
ReRise is good so far.

Next new Gundam series is probably ways off because we still haven't even finished with the 40th anniversary stuff.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You are never going to get another UC TV series. UC Gundam is Gundam that is always going to have the highest quality most expensive productions now and the UC fan base tends to be older, not the type of people who are going to stay up until 1AM to watch anime(Janai)

Man, adapt something lol. Ecole du Ciel, Sentinel Gundam, Crossbone. Re-do F91.
ReRise is good so far.

Next new Gundam series is probably ways off because we still haven't even finished with the 40th anniversary stuff.

Not gonna lie, Hathaway's Flash and Gundam NT aside this is a pretty disappointing 40th anniversary.

Oct 8, 2019
Man, adapt something lol. Ecole du Ciel, Sentinel Gundam, Crossbone. Re-do F91.

Not gonna lie, Hathaway's Flash and Gundam NT aside this is a pretty disappointing 40th anniversary.

I mean the last great anniversary was the 20th which was Turn A Gundam. If you look at the 10th (Gundam 80), 15th (G Gundam), and 20th (Turn A Gundam), those were great shows because they weren't just rehashing the same ideas, they were trying to do something new and came off as unique.

Meanwhile with Gundam Narrative

Oct 8, 2019
Just give me an anime based on the part of Frozen Teardrop where they reveal that Zechs and Noin graduated when they were 10, and their commanding officer was 15 year old Treize Kushreinada

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The AC retcons were actually the things I was hoping a possible anime would cut. Just stick to the MC stuff and refine it.

Oct 8, 2019
I mean the AC retcons begin with Endless Waltz where they reveal that Trowa Barton got his name from some famous guy's son and that operation meteor got changed at the last minute.

Its clearly a passion project for Katsuyuki Sumizawa, and Gundam Wing was always one of the more goofier Gundams.