• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Is Gundam Wing recommended? I've seen it mentioned occasionally and just noticed it's on Crunchyroll, figured I could give it a shot if people think it's good.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to post in this thread.

Have a couple of Sexia gifs:
giphy.gif

bPfyt3L.gif

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, 0080 Blu-ray is happening?! The show is almost 30 years old... finally.

The 0080 masters were in shambles, frames cut, missing, water damaged, Justin bad shape. For the BD release this year, they essentially had to remake the series using the original material, scanning every cell frame by frame.

Which is why 0080 came so muchblater than everything else

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I'd say it's good enough to watch.
It's dumb fun, I don't think you could say it's conventionally good from a writing perspective.
What are the recommended Gundams to watch right now according to fans?

I've seen so far the movie trilogy of the original series, Unicorn, 08th MS Team, Build Fighters, part of G Gundam (gonna finish that one up), 00 and Iron Blooded Orphans. Tried watching Turn A Gundam and Reconguista but had a real hard time getting into them (the second one just freakin' me out for being so...weird...like, nothing-anyone-does-makes-sense-weird).

Deleted member 9824

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 0080 masters were in shambles, frames cut, missing, water damaged, Justin bad shape. For the BD release this year, they essentially had to remake the series using the original material, scanning every cell frame by frame.

There weren't backups for the masters? I'd expect a company with as much success as Sunrise to do that, at least.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
What are the recommended Gundams to watch right now according to fans?

I've seen so far the movie trilogy of the original series, Unicorn, 08th MS Team, Build Fighters, part of G Gundam (gonna finish that one up), 00 and Iron Blooded Orphans. Tried watching Turn A Gundam and Reconguista but had a real hard time getting into them (the second one just freakin' me out for being so...weird...like, nothing-anyone-does-makes-sense-weird).

So, based on the bolded kinda sounds like Tomino, specifically later Tomino, isn't for you. (So avoid Gundam F91 and Victory Gundam) How'd you feel abotu the OG Gundam trilogy movies?

I'd say any of Gundam the Origin would be good for you, that's a fantastic, modern redo of the original Gundam and many seem to universally agree that it's gold. If you liked the original trilogy then Zeta Gundam is also a good watch. 0083 is, imo, a great watch too if you liked 8th MS Team. 0080 is another must and many consider it the single greatest Gundam side story. Char's Counterattack is also good if you end up liking Zeta.

I remember there also being a ton of recycled animation as well, which took away from my enjoyment of the show.

Yeah there is, a lot of reused shots of the Heavy Arms firing and such.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hey gang, I Got my account approved pretty quickly thankfully. Now I can go back too delaying building my Sazabi ver. ka kit

Scavenger

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
There weren't backups for the masters? I'd expect a company with as much success as Sunrise to do that, at least.
What Holly is saying is just some rumor. Sunrise is very protective of their original camera negatives, to an extent that they rarely use those for the HD transfers. Most if not all Gundam productions are instead scanned from brand new interpositives struck from the original camera negative.

My guess is that 0080 took so long because Sunrise puts a lot of care in their remasters most of the time. According to Justin Sevakis, Sunrise films scans are often done at a film scanning facility in L.A, though he doesn't know if Gundam productions are scanned there too.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey GundamEra! I've become hooked on Versus and have started my Gunpla collection only very recently. Glad to be amongst yous.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
So, based on the bolded kinda sounds like Tomino, specifically later Tomino, isn't for you. (So avoid Gundam F91 and Victory Gundam) How'd you feel abotu the OG Gundam trilogy movies?

I'd say any of Gundam the Origin would be good for you, that's a fantastic, modern redo of the original Gundam and many seem to universally agree that it's gold. If you liked the original trilogy then Zeta Gundam is also a good watch. 0083 is, imo, a great watch too if you liked 8th MS Team. 0080 is another must and many consider it the single greatest Gundam side story. Char's Counterattack is also good if you end up liking Zeta.
I'm open to trying anything, I'll gladly give these a shot. Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to answer the question.
I liked it, but I definetly think I don't need to watch through the original series after watching the movies. The show has still this very cheap and dated look which is honestly pretty hard to get through, when I tried watching the original series (which is why I was recommended the movies by a friend).

Last edited:

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got Gundam Versus and Victory Gundam's description hyped it up as the darkest and most realistic depiction of war and death in all of Gundam. So is it any good? For reference, Zeta is my favorite and I loved its ending.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
I just got Gundam Versus and Victory Gundam's description hyped it up as the darkest and most realistic depiction of war and death in all of Gundam. So is it any good? For reference, Zeta is my favorite and I loved its ending.

Victory has been particularly divisive in the previous threads, but I personally love it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Victory Gundam has its moments and at times is quite dark. It has some Zeta type tendencies, but overall I would not recommend it. The V2 Assault Buster is one of my favorite Full Armor configurations for a Gundam though.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
V Gundam is one of my favorite series. I love Marbet, I love some of the character arcs, I love the shrike team. I love the fanaticism. I highly recommend it.

Deculture

Oct 25, 2017

If you like Zeta, you will most likely like Victory as well. Definitely a top 3 of mine. Then again, I like all the Tomino series.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you like Zeta, you will most likely like Victory as well. Definitely a top 3 of mine. Then again, I like all the Tomino series.

I loved Zeta, but I'm having a hard time getting through Victory. :(

Also, the more I think about it, the more "Reset Era" sounds like a Gundam AU calendar.

rawr its ry

Oct 27, 2017
Hi GundamEra!
Been rewatching Unicorn (and actually paying attention rather than just leaving it on the background) and i'm loving all these call backs to older series. In the australia episode, is that tall debris the same as the training scene from 0083?

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hi GundamEra!
Been rewatching Unicorn (and actually paying attention rather than just leaving it on the background) and i'm loving all these call backs to older series. In the australia episode, is that tall debris the same as the training scene from 0083?
Yes it is the same area. Torrington Base was built in the outskirts of where the colony drop happened. Both that episode and the beginning episodes of 0083 occur there.

Oct 25, 2017

That's a shame about the masters. Do you have a link to how they went about with the restoration process?

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminded me of the new Gundam Movie Trilogy blurays. I would buy them, but I heard that it doesn't have the original sound effects (I'm fine as long as the newtype flash and the beam rifle sound the same.)

psyer

Oct 27, 2017
Is Gundam Wing recommended? I've seen it mentioned occasionally and just noticed it's on Crunchyroll, figured I could give it a shot if people think it's good.
I'm not a big fan of Wing. I think lots of people enjoyed Wing based off the nostalgia factor of watching it on Toonami back in the days.

Scavenger

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This thread reminded me of the new Gundam Movie Trilogy blurays. I would buy them, but I heard that it doesn't have the original sound effects (I'm fine as long as the newtype flash and the beam rifle sound the same.)
If you are region free, buy the French Blu-ray. It has English subtitles and the original mono soundtrack you're seeking (plus the 5.1 track with new sound effects, voice acting and different music). The US Blu-ray only has the 5.1 track.

Picture quality is also quite good. Screencaps: https://imgbox.com/g/FO06GS7fVo

That's a shame about the masters. Do you have a link to how they went about with the restoration process?
That only just some unsubstantiated rumor that's probably not even true.

The most likely scenario is that 0080 only got a 4K transfer just recently because Sunrise took their sweet time. They've been digitizing their Gundam collection in HD at a slow pace since the second half of the 2000s. Some Blu-rays, such as Gundam Wing and 0083, use HD transfers that were made back in 2006.

Deleted member 9824

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, wait a minute. Isn't there supposed to be a dub for IBO season 2? Even though I don't really watch dubs, my brother hates watching anime and reading subtitles, but really liked IBO for some reason.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's only been half a year since IBO ended, and I'm already missing watching Gundam on a weekly basis. I watch reruns on Gundaminfo but I want a new one. When can we expect a new 4-cour series? I don't mind UC or AC, but if it's UC i wish it'll build off of Unicorn.

Hi GundamEra!
I love Unicorn. Most of the journey are basically retreads of major events in past Gundams. The characters and organizations are also call backs to those that are in the previous ones.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017

No, this is just third hand shit that I had heard around mechatalk and on some podcasts that I took at face value, but now that I look, I see no actual credible original sources. Probably just a Gundam urban legend, lol
Yes its the best Gundam before 2000s. Its required mecha viewing

This is untrue. I would put it below everything in the UC pre-2000 except maybe F91 and prefer both G and X to it. The series is kinda grinding, it's okay but worth it mainly for the FANTASTIC Endless Waltz.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

It's the worst Gundam series in my opinion.

I loved Zeta, but I'm having a hard time getting through Victory. :(

Also, the more I think about it, the more "Reset Era" sounds like a Gundam AU calendar.

Either an AU calendar or a Tomino character name.