• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
i still plan on finishing it. I think the main thing is the characters aren't much to write home about at least as of now. I think 00 did a better job of having a cast that was much more immediately interesting, at least initially.
Orga is pretty much Space Griffith, but less evil and Mika...he's interesting. The thing with IBO is that it takes the child soldier aspects of Heero and Setsuna and doesn't gloss over how damaging it really is to a persons ability to emotionally resonate or reason things out. Mika is a nut house.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
The first season of IBO starts and ends strong, but it meanders in the middle quite a bit. The second season is a lot better.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Orga is pretty much Space Griffith, but less evil and Mika...he's interesting. The thing with IBO is that it takes the child soldier aspects of Heero and Setsuna and doesn't gloss over how damaging it really is to a persons ability to emotionally resonate or reason things out. Mika is a nut house.
Yeah. The main notable moment so far was how cold blooded he was in executing that one pilot.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The first season of IBO starts and ends strong, but it meanders in the middle quite a bit. The second season is a lot better.
yeah I should try to rewatch at some point, but I found the first season really kind of boring. Whereas I binged through the second season, especially the back half.

Oct 25, 2017
I see Orga like that because I see Tekkadan as the space based equivalent of the Band of the Hawk. Not regarding some of Griffith's...um shadier aspects.
Specially when Orga isn't really the most outrageously ambitious of all the IBO characters.
I guess having someone that resembles space Guts warped his perception. :P
I also think half of my problem is that I don't vilify Griffith to the extent that everybody else does...I also separate Golden Age Griffith and Eclipse Griffith since they're driven by two different things and one is clearly more human than the other.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Are the G-Reco movies still happening? I remember that Tomino said he was doing like...5 of them a little over a year ago

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
TURN A GUNDAM:

FIRST AIRING: April 1999

OVERVIEW: So Tomino was in a bad way after Victory. Sunrise had been bought out by Bandai, who wanted even more, even wackier toys. The tone of Victory Gundam shows this. In one episode you'll get super young teens doing wacky things to the inept space nazi standins and in the next you'll see very realistic depictions of a city razed by nuclear hellfire, or the brutal death of a teammate or two. And then maybe a wasp that turns into a helicopter or something. After that Gundam went for the AU trilogy, which ended in disaster as After War Gundam X was cancelled. So what else is going on in Gundam for those four years? Well, 08th MS Team hums along, basically releasing one part a year. Tomino, who has now had a half decade off of Gundam, finds himself much less depressed after releasing Garzey's Wing and Brain Powerd decides to come back for one last Gundam show for the 20th Century. This time instead of the futuristic space colonies versus the futuristic united earth government it is a tale of the moon people invading what appears to be very late 19th century earth. Before the invasion though they send some spies down to see if they can blend in and survive on the planet, and the hero of this tale is one of those sent down, a young man named Loran Cehack. One year later and things go to shit as the moon invades in the middle of a coming of age ceremony in front of a giant statue...which just happens to have a mustachioed white mobile suit inside. Other mobile suits are also found in old mountains and the earthlings begin to fight back against the mooninites, eventually taking the battle to space. The leader of the moon also happens to look exactly like the girl Loran kinda sorta likes and they end up switching places on more than one occasion. Eventually we learn that the Moon military is full of dicks and that the Gundam Loran has was the catalyst behind technology disappearing for so long...and that this has happened at least four other times because Turn A Gundam takes place in the CORRECT CENTURY, the endpoint of all Gundam series. It's a big hidden crossover! This show is good. It's weird, but it's good. It's the final cel painted show and its the best looking TV quality animation the series has. 19th century like not American American characters are a bit of a change. They still have that classic Tomino recklessness but at least almost everyone's motivations are clear. They want the Moon to stop invading.

MECHA: All the new stuff looks weird, intentionally so. They got famed sci fi artist Syd Mead to design the Gundam...but it wasn't quite recognizable enough so they turned that into the SUMO. The other new designs are gangly and distinctly not Gundam. The Turn A looks like a rounded face Gundam with a mustache and takes a bit of getting used to but is cool. All of the beam weapons in this show look more plasma-ish. The real treat is in identifying all of the throwback suits they find on earth.

MAIN CAST: Loran, the other moon survey team members are pretty fun. They love earth and just want everyone to live peacefully. And you know if they didn't invade there's probably less than a billion people on the earth right now, they could have just made a colony somewhere but nooo. The Heim sisters and the moon princess are real go getters. People love Harry Ord, I don't really get it myself, must be the glasses. The Luzianna Militia is full of Gundam military types only old timey. The villains are fun with the collaborator Guin Lineford (who's probably got the right idea in the end) and Agrippa Maintainer, the evil chancellor of the moon. They also got a real crazy ass war is great even though I've never fought a day in my life Gym Ghingham. A real piece of work that one is.

BRIGHT SPOT: Kihel Heim. She does a great job pretending to be the moon princesses...and eventually becoming her. She never shows fear in the various impossible situations they put her in and she's generally a great leader.

SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?: If you're a Gundam fan, you probably should. The premise is real strong though it peters out something fierce near the end. The characters are good, it looks great and sounds great. Lots of winks and nods here and there.

WOULD I HANG OUT WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER: Yes, Loran is a laid back guy. For televised Gundam this is an absolute rarity. Amuro and Camille were intense but nerdy people trying to do the right thing. Judau is a hoot but he's also a bundle of energy and determination. Uso shouldn't even be there. Domon is a loner, Heero is a stoic Jason Bourne type and the dude from Gundam X is just shitty Judau. Loran is a surfer boy with a heart of gold. He'll pilot the White Doll/White Demon/Moustachioed terror, Turn A Gundam but he's only there to just...you know, help out.

RANKING:

MOBILE FIGHTER G GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT ZETA GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM
TURN A GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM WING
MOBILE SUIT VICTORY GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM ZZ
AFTER WAR GUNDAM X

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
3755.jpg
Ha! I was asking for that one.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that basically everything bad that happens to Jerid only happens because he made fun of Kamille's name.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't know better and someone told me that Drew Brees was a young feddie pilot that Amuro looked up to that bit the dust to some random one off Zeonic suit somewhere in the middle of the desert I'd believe you.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be fun, I love talking about SEED and SEED DESTINY.

I unironically like both shows, quite a bit in SEED's case. DESTINY is a trainwreck but it's also a very entertaining show throughout unlike X, AGE or 00 season 2. Also I divide 00 into two shows because the first season is so much better than the second one.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be fun, I love talking about SEED and SEED DESTINY.

I unironically like both shows, quite a bit in SEED's case. DESTINY is a trainwreck but it's also a very entertaining show throughout unlike X, AGE or 00 season 2. Also I divide 00 into two shows because the first season is so much better than the second one.
I honestly really want to watch SEED because I was deprived of Gundam stuff when it came out and I was still a kid with no access to watch it. Part of me knows it isn't going to be as good as I thought it would be in my mind, but I still really want to like it.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The main issue with SEED is that it is now butt ugly. The ironic thing is that growing up with cel anime that early digital paint stuff looked AMAZING back then. The colors duke, the colors. Weird squished faces, lots of reused shots. The reason why I still suggest most Gundam fans who haven't seen it should watch SEED is that it's got this weird way of hooking into you with how every episode is paced (barring the what, 3/4 recap episodes) everything moves along at the perfect clip leading you to want more. The music cue that leads to the credits gets me hyped each time, and I usually roll on and watch more and more. It's the bag of too salty yet super delicious chips you can't stop eating. Then when you want more there's this little sequel called DESTINY that you've heard is bad but hell, you made it through SEED and you gotta watch what comes next. And you're gonna keep watching.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly really want to watch SEED because I was deprived of Gundam stuff when it came out and I was still a kid with no access to watch it. Part of me knows it isn't going to be as good as I thought it would be in my mind, but I still really want to like it.
Seed and Seed Destiny are just reworkings of MSG and MSG Zeta. Seed isn't too bad and is good in parts, Destiny is pretty shit though. Granted I have seen Destiny like 5 times so it's at least fun shit...with too many fucking clip episodes.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The worse it gets the more I want to watch Destiny. Athrun is a pretty fun character to follow around especially as it slowly dawns on him that he made a terrible mistake rejoining ZAFT as sort of a rebound date.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't know better and someone told me that Drew Brees was a young feddie pilot that Amuro looked up to that bit the dust to some random one off Zeonic suit somewhere in the middle of the desert I'd believe you.
lol
I really liked SEED at the time bc it introduced a new Cosmic Era re-booting Gundam opening it up for more possibilities.

agree with Man God of each episode paced leaving you hooked.

and also agree with Jaded that alot of stuff was borrowed from older series.

I really liked Kira in x105 though made him actually think and fight vs. spamming overpowered beams.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I watched about half of SEED a long time ago and liked it well enough. I want to revisit it, but I figure I might as well wait for the new dub at this point. The new cast looked solid, so I'm definitely interested in checking it out whenever they get around to actually releasing it.