• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
The sound effect of that mega particle cannon hits like a truck, so damn good. And Sawano's music comes in for Narrative's entrance was hype as all hell. Wish I could watch that in a theater.

Side note, Hathaway films got a website now. Nothing there yet except the key visual tho.
http://gundam-hathaway.net/

It really did in the theater. Gotta admit, I was complaining about how the sound was too low in Infinity War in Japan, but this movie had the sound at 11, holy crap. Theater was really funny though, a ton of high school girls there to see harry potter, and a million obvious Gundam fans. There was the typical merch to buy as well with every movie in Japan, but they were also selling gunpla kits of the Narrative Gundam and others, tons of people came in the theater with them lol. I did not grab any NT kits cause I wanted to see the movie first but there were some cool moments for our favorite Jesta's again. Biggest gripe was the main antagonist or the one who they went against mainly was about as typical anime "You can tell im the bad guy cause look at my not standard hair in the military and creepy way of talking~" A big step down from the gravitas that Full Frontal had, stupid name aside.

Was also fun seeing scenes from Zeta, ZZ, and Char's counter attack thrown in, they even remade a small snippit of Zeta, then did the old clips after it which was super weird. In general there were a few parts for not super important things that screamed (BUDGET) or at least it was easier to see on a massive screen. In general though it looked great throughout.

Don't want to spoil anything though til you guys see it. I can't wait for the reactions at that final battle lol.

Also the Hathaway teaser at the end wasn't anything special. Just a person on a beach, then reveals it to be Hathaway, and see a very, VERY cheap underside (like looking up from its legs) of the Xi flying over the ocean before ascending to the clouds.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Gundam NT certainly looks very nice, that was to be expected, but I do get the feeling this post-CCA period of late UC is on the way to slowly becoming nearly as crowded and overly complicated as the OYW era as a result of all these retroactive continuity tweaks and expansions. Not right now, mind you, but sooner rather than later.

Which is admittedly less of a problem for me, since I tend to value both the visceral experience and the characters/themes more than the degree of realism or apparent plausibility of story elements (same reason why I have a more generous view of, say, Code Geass than several folks around here), yet I don't really envy the task of anyone who has a much deeper attachment to the details of the lore and thus attempts to keep them all consistent. Good luck with that.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I know some of you were a bit hesitant going into Narrative. What'd you think by the end? Sorta seems like it based on the buzz already. Not looking for a full dress down of spoiler cuz I could just go finish reading that summary of the novel on Zeonic if I really wanted to know that. But did you like this? Good story and characterizations?

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Watched the 23-minute tease on GundamInfo. It sure would be nice if Sunrise could work out some sort of deal with Fathom to get this on the big screen in North America.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Gundam NT certainly looks very nice, that was to be expected, but I do get the feeling this post-CCA period of late UC is on the way to slowly becoming nearly as crowded and overly complicated as the OYW era as a result of all these retroactive continuity tweaks and expansions. Not right now, mind you, but sooner rather than later.

Which is admittedly less of a problem for me, since I tend to value both the visceral experience and the characters/themes more than the degree of realism or apparent plausibility of story elements (same reason why I have a more generous view of, say, Code Geass than several folks around here), yet I don't really envy the task of anyone who has a much deeper attachment to the details of the lore and thus attempts to keep them all consistent. Good luck with that.

Well, the OYW era got crowded because between 0078-0080 they kept adding new things. It's less of an issue if you've got more than 30 months to play with.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the OYW era got crowded because between 0078-0080 they kept adding new things. It's less of an issue if you've got more than 30 months to play with.

They do have a lot of room left, but so far they've been explicitly focusing on the earlier part of that period.

I know some of you were a bit hesitant going into Unicorn. What'd you think by the end?

I found the results to be largely satisfying. To such an extent that, strictly speaking, I don't think Unicorn needed any of these newer sequels or spin-offs. But hey, we all know by now that's not how Gundam works.

My perception is that OVA seemed to be generally well-received by the public, outside of a few controversial aspects of the ending (such as how crazy things got during the final battle, a certain death, and the open-ended nature of the conclusion). There were also some complaints about missing information from the original Unicorn novel, but I didn't have those myself.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the 23-minute tease on GundamInfo. It sure would be nice if Sunrise could work out some sort of deal with Fathom to get this on the big screen in North America.
I did too! Loving the arc they're setting Michelle up for in the first 20 minutes.

They do have a lot of room left, but so far they've been explicitly focusing on the earlier part of that period.

I found the results to be largely satisfying. To such an extent that, strictly speaking, I don't think Unicorn needed any of these newer sequels or spin-offs. But hey, we all know by now that's not how Gundam works.

My perception is that OVA seemed to be generally well-received by the public, outside of a few controversial aspects of the ending (such as how crazy things got during the final battle, a certain death, and the open-ended nature of the conclusion). There were also some complaints about missing information from the original Unicorn novel, but I didn't have those myself.
I screwed up! Meant to ask what you thought of Narrative. Edited my other post. haha

I loved Unicorn and it's ending. I feel like the OVA skims over certain important info a bit too quickly for some to pick up, but yeah. Over all very favorable of it.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
I read part of the novelization on Zeonic Scanalations. Seems like a real wild ride, honestly. Three childhood friends kinda tied by destiny and circumstance. Add spooky newtype shit and an OP Unicorn unit? It's got a good hook IMO.

Ahh, for whatever reason I thought you meant currently airing now.

And I totally forgot about that announcement for 00 MONTHS ago. Jeez! I guess NT and IBO sequel hype got to me.

Yeah, but it could be anything from a book, movie, OVA, manga or even a stage play.

News for HF at the end of next year? Damnnnn.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
After sleeping on it, my biggest issue with NT is its "oh shit got real" moment is the same as all the other Gundam series, a fight breaking out in a peaceful colony. Have one of these happen in the middle of a Zeon or Federation one, its ALWAYS some colony with no one important in it other than the horror of civilians getting caught in the cross fire. It's loosing its impact and purpose for me now since its not done to make a point anymore.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
We have IBO news rumblings. Two tweets translated with the bad twitter translate tool below. lol But, sounds like we have more than once announcement to look forward to on January 6th.

IBO twitter said:
"Thank you very much for the three-year anniversary event which will be held on Sunday, January 6, 2019, and many applications for daytime and evening performances. The second-order of the Night performance (GFC members only) will start tomorrow December 1, so thank you again. http://g-tekketsu.com/news/?id=16155 #g_tekketsu"

IBO twitter said:
"We are gearing up for the third anniversary of Orufenzu's Iron event. There are a lot of projects that I ask for a lot of staff members such as Yokoyama Masaru who was in charge of music. I think that you may wait for January 6, 2019, together with this illustration. (Production P) #g_tekketsu"

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
When can we expect the home release of NT?
Probably 3-4 months, that's what it took for the 00 Movie. Thunderbolt's releases was only one month after but it was already online in ONA format first.
Depends on how well NT does I guess. If it's successful it might stay in theater longer and the BD/DVD release date would be more delayed.
Hopefully the BD will be in 4K too like Thunderbolt was 'cause the battles look awesome. If I can't catch it in theater then 4K and 5.1 surround sound is as good as it gets.

Deleted member 45

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Probably 3-4 months, that's what it took for the 00 Movie. Thunderbolt's releases was only one month after but it was already online in ONA format first.
Depends on how well NT does I guess. If it's successful it might stay in theater longer and the BD/DVD release date would be more delayed.
Hopefully the BD will be in 4K too like Thunderbolt was 'cause the battles look awesome. If I can't catch it in theater then 4K and 5.1 surround sound is as good as it gets.
Was thunderbolt in legit 4k? I heard it got upscaled.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Must. Resist. Temptation. To. Watch. First. 23. Minutes.
JMBRjZu.gif

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that the first 23 mins were definitely a good hook. I can't wait to see the film in its entirety. I'm not a fan of newtype shit in Gundam but I really want to see how this all plays out.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy page 0079.

Dying to see NT, and won't until it's available in NA. :(

Not sure if this or an art thread is a better place to post this, but I drew up a Haro for my class. It's a digital media thing, not specifically art, so it's not super refined or anything. I can unlink the twitter and just host the image if the "self promotion" side of things is looked down upon.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I am about halfway through Gundam 0079, and I'm liking it a lot. The idea was to progress through the UC series/movies in release order, though I fear that might end up being a bit too much.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Japanese twitter just reminded me:

93ti4ei.jpg

No, the movie does not make the reason behind this pose clear lol.

Deleted member 45

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Happy page 0079.

Dying to see NT, and won't until it's available in NA. :(

Not sure if this or an art thread is a better place to post this, but I drew up a Haro for my class. It's a digital media thing, not specifically art, so it's not super refined or anything. I can unlink the twitter and just host the image if the "self promotion" side of things is looked down upon.

this is dope

Deleted member 45

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I had the Gundam UC OST playing all day yesterday to get me through the migration. It's just so amazing.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am about halfway through Gundam 0079, and I'm liking it a lot. The idea was to progress through the UC series/movies in release order, though I fear that might end up being a bit too much.

No need to rush things. On paper there's a ton of stuff, but after you catch up it feels like ages between new entries. Your mileage may vary. I think I started doing production order until I got to ZZ. It was real rough, so I went and did everything else that took place before it until I gave it another go. If you got burned out, ZZ would be my bet for where it happens.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
No need to rush things. On paper there's a ton of stuff, but after you catch up it feels like ages between new entries. Your mileage may vary. I think I started doing production order until I got to ZZ. It was real rough, so I went and did everything else that took place before it until I gave it another go. If you got burned out, ZZ would be my bet for where it happens.
Yeah, those three long series one after the other might end up being tough, but I guess it would ultimately depend on how much I enjoy them. If they're as good as 0079 I might be able to stick to this plan.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, those three long series one after the other might end up being tough, but I guess it would ultimately depend on how much I enjoy them. If they're as good as 0079 I might be able to stick to this plan.

I don't know if you consider general impressions/opinions spoilers or not, but here are my thoughts.

0079 is the best one. The closest to a "perfect" Gundam that I've seen in the long TV format. Zeta is mostly excellent, with elements that surpass 0079. Mostly in style. Music, the battles, the designs, etc. I would argue that Zeta has higher highs, but lower lows than 0079. As a follow up to 0079, there's a ton of rad shit. One of my favorites for sure. ZZ is half really solid, half really dumb. It doesn't really get good until ~15 episodes in, which is kind of ridiculous. Even after that, it will dip back into mediocrity from time to time, but by the end of it, I was pretty satisfied with the show. Overall, it feels like Zeta leftovers, but there are cool things it brings to the table. It's just a matter of getting through the bad stuff.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I don't know if you consider general impressions/opinions spoilers or not, but here are my thoughts.

0079 is the best one. The closest to a "perfect" Gundam that I've seen in the long TV format. Zeta is mostly excellent, with elements that surpass 0079. Mostly in style. Music, the battles, the designs, etc. I would argue that Zeta has higher highs, but lower lows than 0079. As a follow up to 0079, there's a ton of rad shit. One of my favorites for sure. ZZ is half really solid, half really dumb. It doesn't really get good until ~15 episodes in, which is kind of ridiculous. Even after that, it will dip back into mediocrity from time to time, but by the end of it, I was pretty satisfied with the show. Overall, it feels like Zeta leftovers, but there are cool things it brings to the table. It's just a matter of getting through the bad stuff.
That sounds pretty good actually. I guess I'll progress till Z, and then I could fast-forward a bit in ZZ if I see it's not that great.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
It's like we went from Nu Forum to Hi Nu Forum.

At the risk of sounding like being a total loser, this isn't an apt comparison. Hi Nu isn't an upgrade of Nu in the canon. I'd more compare this to Exia to 00. Upgrade that's fiddly and rocky at the start/straight up refused to work, but is pretty smooth now.

And will assist us in the ~*dialogues to come*~.

On an aside, thank you deltaplus for that youtube vid in the migration process. Sharing the magic of Unicorn's OST to everyone forcefully is an admirable action.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
On an aside, thank you deltaplus for that youtube vid in the migration process. Sharing the magic of Unicorn's OST to everyone forcefully is an admirable action.
Yeah, I was a bit confused when I saw it, but it was really nice.

I wanted to share a few thoughts/comments on 0079. I really like the overall tone of the anime, as in, how it's a military series about a bunch of young people trying to do their best, with the robots as an added benefit; going in, with a knowledge of other mecha series, I was expecting it to be pretty lighthearted overall.On that note, Ryu's death made me quite sad; the death flags were numerous, yet I wanted to believe he would make it. I was also sad (and a bit displeased) about Matilda's death, which I felt was a bit sudden (and Fraw Bow's jealousy made for some pretty funny scenes). I also really enjoyed the portrayal of Garma's death and how it affected his relatives; they spent quite some time on it, despite him being the enemy of that part of the series, without showing the protagonists celebrating the fact (besides being happy to have won that battle).

The only thing that bothered me a bit was the sudden turn from "maybe we're overworking Amuro" to "Amuro is too disrespectful, Amuro leaves, let's put him in jail". It makes sense overall, and they did try to show the growing uneasiness and stress of the whole crew, but it still felt rushed.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
0079 is dark from episode one when, for all you know, Amuro might have inadvertently caused his father's death.
Tem Ray not actually being dead but having suffered brain damage from hypoxia isn't as bad but certainly not very good.

Deleted member 45

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
At the risk of sounding like being a total loser, this isn't an apt comparison. Hi Nu isn't an upgrade of Nu in the canon. I'd more compare this to Exia to 00. Upgrade that's fiddly and rocky at the start/straight up refused to work, but is pretty smooth now.

And will assist us in the ~*dialogues to come*~.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Nu and Hi Nu in mind cuz I'm reading Beltorchika's Children. Cut me some slack...