• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Had quite a bit of spare time these past few days, so I managed to watch ZZ (by skimming parts of it). I didn't like it nearly as much as the other series, even ignoring the first section. I did like most of the new characters, and there were some great moments (the colony drop on Dublin and the last 3-4 episodes, for example).
I'm excited to move on to some shorter stuff after these three long series.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Had quite a bit of spare time these past few days, so I managed to watch ZZ (by skimming parts of it). I didn't like it nearly as much as the other series, even ignoring the first section. I did like most of the new characters, and there were some great moments (the colony drop on Dublin and the last 3-4 episodes, for example).
I'm excited to move on to some shorter stuff after these three long series.
I kind of hated ZZ on my first watch not knowing what I was in for.
I appreciated it a bit more on rewatch.
Regarding your future watches, UC OVAs and films are always a visual treat even if the story happens not to click with you.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not super into ZZ, but I would say I'm enjoying it so far. Interested in seeing the supposed tone shift I've heard about

RavenGear

Oct 27, 2017
I've been working my way through the Universal Century timeline in release order and have been wondering something, seeing as Zeon are literal space nazis does their bullshit every get called out? Pretty much every story after the original series tries to paint Zeon and its successor groups like a "Clean Wehrmacht" fighting for an honorable lost cause while the main characters laments their own lack of conviction.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working my way through the Universal Century timeline in release order and have been wondering something, seeing as Zeon are literal space nazis does their bullshit every get called out? Pretty much every story after the original series tries to paint Zeon and its successor groups like a "Clean Wehrmacht" fighting for an honorable lost cause while the main characters laments their own lack of conviction.
I'm not sure. Most of the Naziism is aimed at the Zabi's mostly Degwin, whom is dead. They're not exactly fighting for the same reasons I would think after the first series.

RavenGear

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure. Most of the Naziism is aimed at the Zabi's mostly Degwin, whom is dead. They're not exactly fighting for the same reasons I would think after the first series.
Do they? Zeon Zum Deikun's philosophy pretty much boils down to the idea that humans living in space are superior while people living on earth are called elites even though they are repeatedly shown as poor and miserable.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Regarding your future watches, UC OVAs and films are always a visual treat even if the story happens not to click with you.
We'll see about rewatches, though I'd imagine that the compilation movies might be helpful with that, if they do keep the most important sequences/scenes. And yeah, I'm excited to see how the OVAs will look; the jump in quality between the original an Zeta was already pretty noticeable, less so with ZZ (since they were released one after the other of course).

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Char's Counterattack was pretty great overall. It's a shame that they didn't set up the events of this movie more in ZZ.
Char's motivation was a bit hard to believe, especially once he started talking about sending nuclear warheads/waste to Earth. Quess and Chan dying was unsurprising at this point.
So at the end Amuro's and Char's "spirit" managed to change Axis' trajectory, right? I should assume they died from that?

Shivershorts

Apr 2, 2018
Char's Counterattack was pretty great overall. It's a shame that they didn't set up the events of this movie more in ZZ.
Char's motivation was a bit hard to believe, especially once he started talking about sending nuclear warheads/waste to Earth. Quess and Chan dying was unsurprising at this point.
So at the end Amuro's and Char's "spirit" managed to change Axis' trajectory, right? I should assume they died from that?

I've watched Char's Counterattack twice now and the second time didn't really improve my opinion of it. Currently at the back end of ZZ rewatch and planning to watch CC again to see how I feel.

Regarding your spoiler:

I felt the same about Char. It was a shame to see him in such a state after he was developed in Zeta, especially since there isn't really any set up to the Second Neo Zeon War before the story starts. Just suddenly Char as bad guy again. I think the events depicted in the animated adaptation of The Origin lent itself to Char's character. My second viewing of CC made me feel like Char is a much more flawed character than he ever let on, like he was always just trying to find a way to fill the hole in his heart that his mother left.

I don't think it was the Newtype phenomenon that pushed Axis per se, but it was the typical emotional connection it made with the pilots in proximity and moved them to help push Axis. At least, that's just what I remember. And yes I believe Char and Amuro were killed in the event.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I've watched Char's Counterattack twice now and the second time didn't really improve my opinion of it. Currently at the back end of ZZ rewatch and planning to watch CC again to see how I feel.
I'm the exact opposite. I feel CCA is full of stuff that is easy to miss the first time you watch because of the very fast pace and with every rewatch you can appreciate things you didn't notice before. That one can rewatch it in a couple of hours is a plus.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
From a visual and audio standpoint, CCA is amazing.

Unfortunately, there's everything else. The pacing, plot, and characters are all pretty poor. Not really a fan of how much it sweeps Zeta and ZZ under the rug, either.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
CCA has Amuro jumping out of a moving vehicle and tackling Char off a horse so they can have a fist fight. That's all I need.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Haman was using Mineva to push her own agenda, which is apparently just to rule over as much of space as she feels she can take from the feddies, who got real fucked up by the Gyrps conflict and basically let the spacenoids do whatever they want for the remainder of the UC timeline. CCA and Unicorn are basically the last gasps of UEF competency.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Playing Gundam battle assualt 2's story mode with rx-78-2 when I reach Big-Zam and oh man that's gotta be one of the most ridiculous and oversized fighting game bosses And it's only 2/3s it's normal size

ZZ watch continues, slowly but continues

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm going to hate CCA coming off of Zeta and ZZ
They die complaining about Lalah, it's both sad and hilarious. Not liking it for the assassination job it does to the growth of Amuro and Char. Granted The Origin proves that Char was always a petty piece of shit, but Zeta Char at least had some form of dignity and willingness to put his past behind him even if he was the best person to align yourself with in a room with Jamitov Hymen, Bosk Ohm and Jamaican Dannigan, the biggest pieces of shit in UC that probably didn't get usurped until Fonz Kataji from Victory Gundam.

Oct 25, 2017
They die complaining about Lalah, it's both sad and hilarious. Not liking it for the assassination job it does to the growth of Amuro and Char. Granted The Origin proves that Char was always a petty piece of shit, but Zeta Char at least had some form of dignity and willingness to put his past behind him even if he was the best person to align yourself with in a room with Jamitov Hymen, Bosk Ohm and Jamaican Dannigan, the biggest pieces of shit in UC that probably didn't get usurped until Fonz Kataji from Victory Gundam.

I like how even Yazan "I'm going to kill a bunch of people in this last battle just for the hell of it" Gable just fucking hates Jamaican.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy

Regarding your spoiler:

I felt the same about Char. It was a shame to see him in such a state after he was developed in Zeta, especially since there isn't really any set up to the Second Neo Zeon War before the story starts. Just suddenly Char as bad guy again. I think the events depicted in the animated adaptation of The Origin lent itself to Char's character. My second viewing of CC made me feel like Char is a much more flawed character than he ever let on, like he was always just trying to find a way to fill the hole in his heart that his mother left.

I don't think it was the Newtype phenomenon that pushed Axis per se, but it was the typical emotional connection it made with the pilots in proximity and moved them to help push Axis. At least, that's just what I remember. And yes I believe Char and Amuro were killed in the event.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely watch The Origin, though it will take a while as I'm going by release order. Like everyone is saying, it's really unfortunate that the story and motivations come out of nowhere, because in isolation I think it's actually really well done on most aspects; like, I think these complaints we have would be lessened if we hadn't seen MGS, Z, and ZZ beforehand.

Also, I watched War in the Pocket yesterday, and that was great all around. Definitely the best overall series, mostly because it was a lot more focused than MGS or Zeta (for which I felt the 40 to 50 episode count hurt more than it helped).

RavenGear

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely watch The Origin, though it will take a while as I'm going by release order. Like everyone is saying, it's really unfortunate that the story and motivations come out of nowhere, because in isolation I think it's actually really well done on most aspects; like, I think these complaints we have would be lessened if we hadn't seen MGS, Z, and ZZ beforehand.
Have anyone looked into the initial drafts for CCA like High Streamer and Beltorchika's Children?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm thinking of skipping Crossbone and Victory for now, I don't really feel like watching another 50 episode series at the moment, especially since it's pretty much unrelated to anything beside F91 from what I've gathered.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of skipping Crossbone and Victory for now, I don't really feel like watching another 50 episode series at the moment, especially since it's pretty much unrelated to anything beside F91 from what I've gathered.

I'm about halfway through Victory right now, and it's somewhat slow going, especially since I most recently watched Unicorn and The Origin. 50+ episodes is a lot of time to fill.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally got a wing zero after waiting a year =)

MhwWOEql.jpg

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw those at Amiami a couple of days ago and I thought about you, David. :P
These prices make sure I'm never getting any of these.
lolol damn, they are pretty damn high

but super hard to get. BBTS doesn't charge upfront and it's super easy to cancel with them so it'll give me time to mull over.

Oct 30, 2017
With all of this talk of Char's Counterattack, guess what just got announced as an MG

20190313_mg_regz_custom_600x341.jpg

The far cooler version of the RE-Z is getting the Master Grade treatment. Except, surprise surprise, web only. I would love to ask Bandai why more than half of their releases are now only online and why they refuse to open up those sales to anyone outside of Asia. I mean, they have a Tamashii Web Shop for the US, but the only thing it sells is apparel.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
With all of this talk of Char's Counterattack, guess what just got announced as an MG

20190313_mg_regz_custom_600x341.jpg

The far cooler version of the RE-Z is getting the Master Grade treatment. Except, surprise surprise, web only. I would love to ask Bandai why more than half of their releases are now only online and why they refuse to open up those sales to anyone outside of Asia. I mean, they have a Tamashii Web Shop for the US, but the only thing it sells is apparel.
latest

I still can't get over the fact that they just gave it a giant AK-47

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
While I feel bad for those who wanted the Re-GZ Custom having to pay extortionate prices in some alternative website, I believe that these obscure MSV kits are precisely what P-Bandai should be for.
The obvious solution, as Percival points out, would be for P-Bandai sales to be available worldwide. It shouldn't be that difficult. Bandai already has branches in most of the world economic regions. Maybe it's just your typical licensing nightmare instead of a logistics matter.
Regarding the God similarities, I don't see it. The legs are 90% Re-GZ and the skirts 80%.
The AK does look extra dumb when you realise it isn't even supposed to use kinetic projectiles. It's actually a beam rifle.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
For me its the chest and arms that make it look G Gundam like. Not on close inspection really but at a glance.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The thing is when looking at the chest, the cockpit hatch reminds me of Zeta Plus and the vents remind me of Providence Gundam with the single horizontal separator and the vertical inner grille.
I don't even know when the Re-GZ Custom design was created so it might predate the Providence.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Have anyone looked into the initial drafts for CCA like High Streamer and Beltorchika's Children?
Yes, which are interesting but aside from some weird differences the bulk of those stories is kind of the same.

Where a lot of the shift comes in, I presume, is that CCA started its life as a fourth TV series, ZZZ Gundam. Triple Zeta was canned and it's slot was given to Heavy Metal Dragonar and CCA went into development.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little over halfway through Seed right now for the first time. I caught a bit of it back when it first aired on Toonami but wasn't feeling it back then; I only started it right now because I began Unicorn after recently finishing 00 and I was really not liking Unicorn and how rushed it feels. I made it to Unicorn's fourth episode and am dreading returning to it.
Anyway, I wanted to call out something that keeps happening in Seed that is annoying the hell out of me: Every time the Archangel is about to enter a battle and they put out the call for everyone to get ready and report to their stations, Kira will be running down a hallway and without fail someone (usually Flay) stops him to talk to about something. Cut that shit out! He's gotta get to his Gundam and keep the ship from being shot down and prevent everyone in it being killed! Is this really the best time to have a conversation?! Let him get to the hanger and bring up whatever you wanted to say to him later when he gets back!

Every battle!
Ugh...

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little over halfway through Seed right now for the first time. I caught a bit of it back when it first aired on Toonami but wasn't feeling it back then; I only started it right now because I began Unicorn after recently finishing 00 and I was really not liking Unicorn and how rushed it feels. I made it to Unicorn's fourth episode and am dreading returning to it.
Anyway, I wanted to call out something that keeps happening in Seed that is annoying the hell out of me: Every time the Archangel is about to enter a battle and they put out the call for everyone to get ready and report to their stations, Kira will be running down a hallway and without fail someone (usually Flay) stops him to talk to about something. Cut that shit out! He's gotta get to his Gundam and keep the ship from being shot down and prevent everyone in it being killed! Is this really the best time to have a conversation?! Let him get to the hanger and bring up whatever you wanted to say to him later when he gets back!

Every battle!
Ugh...
Flay is the worst...
Unicorn wasn't rushed since it took like 7 years to make or some shit, it's just not for everybody.