• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Here's some news about an actual good Gundam series.

Also they said that Seed would be coming in 2020, would have an Ultra Edition, and would include both the new dub and the old Bandai dub.

It was also stated that the Gundam Wing Ultra Edition is down to about 200 units. If you were on the fence about it I would move on it soon, once they run out they aren't going to produce any more.

Seed news? Seed news. Hold my hand Athrun Zala cause I am hyped!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Here's some news about an actual good Gundam series.

Also they said that Seed would be coming in 2020, would have an Ultra Edition, and would include both the new dub and the old Bandai dub.

It was also stated that the Gundam Wing Ultra Edition is down to about 200 units. If you were on the fence about it I would move on it soon, once they run out they aren't going to produce any more.

Finally. Think I'm only waiting on X now.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is SEED's new dub, exactly?

Redubbing with a new voice cast. Think like how Netflix did Evangelion, only hopefully not as shitty.

Here's the list of the new VAs.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of SEED, I'm currently rewatching Destiny and I'm up to episode 14 and I've got to say... this is pretty good. Freedom re-launching is probably one of the hypest things I've seen in Gundam.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
We can safely say that music and the Gundams is not the problem with Destiny. It's not really even most of the characters.

Nov 4, 2017
I got finished watching the Origin today. I've been watching the series in order but after G Savior I wanted something good. You know that gundam series image people have shared? The one that lists each series pros and cons. What would you say are The Origin's pros and cons?

I feel like it had high quality animation, but the mix of cgi with 2d can sometimes be strange. Also I feel like it may have suffered from Star Wars prequel syndrome where everyone knew each other. i felt like the orpans and Kai were unknown by Amuro and Frau and that they didn't really meet until the white base. I would recommend viewing it after watching 79.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I feel like it had high quality animation, but the mix of cgi with 2d can sometimes be strange. Also I feel like it may have suffered from Star Wars prequel syndrome where everyone knew each other. i felt like the orpans and Kai were unknown by Amuro and Frau and that they didn't really meet until the white base. I would recommend viewing it after watching 79.
I agree, I felt that while it was interesting and well done, it wasn't really necessary? I felt like most of the important parts were already known thanks to the other series.

Nov 4, 2017
I agree, I felt that while it was interesting and well done, it wasn't really necessary? I felt like most of the important parts were already known thanks to the other series.
I was inspired to watch it after seeing Mother's Basement's video on it. Curious how people enjoyed it if it was their first UC thing? I imagine it would have been kind of boring since a lot of it is significant only if you know how thing turn out, and understand the dramatic irony to it all.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there wasn't that much "everyone knows each other" going on considering we start 0079 with everyone... already knowing each other. lol

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
193_3367_o_1de4uf3sn187hnlg1ejol0m1euf3q.jpg

More images here: https://www.gundam-base.net/products/details.php?detail=3367

I know the MG Unicorn is shit but this still has me all

tenor.gif

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
193_3367_o_1de4uf3sn187hnlg1ejol0m1euf3q.jpg

More images here: https://www.gundam-base.net/products/details.php?detail=3367

I know the MG Unicorn is shit but this still has me all

tenor.gif

Call me a weirdo but I prefer the MG Unicorn over the RG one. The only "advantage" that the RG has is the double jointed knee, and I would argue that it's not actually an advantage, because Bandai didn't engineer an inner frame for it so it's just a hollow space and looks ugly. Otherwise, the MG looks better in every other way.

And that MG Perfectability is just simply beautiful.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really should be sick of the Unicorn by now, I've built way too many kits of it over the years. But I can't get enough of it.

MG Unicorn Ver. Ka
HGUC Unicorn (Unicorn and Destroy modes)
MG Full Armor Unicorn Ver. Ka
HGUC Banshee (Unicorn and Destroy modes)
HGUC Full Armor Unicorn (Unicorn mode)
HGUC Banshee Norn (Unicorn and Destroy modes)
RG Unicorn
RG Unicorn Bande Dessinee Ver.
RG Banshee Norn
HGUC Phenex (Destroy Mode, both plated and non plated)
RG Full Armor Unicorn
HG Unicorn Gundam Perfectibility (Destroy Mode)
PG Unicorn

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have been listening to them as well, they're fantastic.
Link for anyone who hasn't heard of them:
gundampodcast.com

Mobile Suit Breakdown - The Gundam Anime Podcast

A weekly Gundam podcast hosted by Nina (a Gundam first-timer) and Thom (a lifelong fan), MSB is a deep but accessible companion guide to the animated universe(s) of Gundam.

Just started from episode 0 today, and yes, it's a great podcast. Lots of Japanese history mixed in.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a name for the Garma archetype of character? In my mind it's just been "Purple Smithers", though Angelo from Unicorn has white hair. F91 has a purple Smithers character in at least looks, and I've just begun IBO and it seems there's another one in that show.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a name for the Garma archetype of character? In my mind it's just been "Purple Smithers", though Angelo from Unicorn has white hair. F91 has a purple Smithers character in at least looks, and I've just begun IBO and it seems there's another one in that show.
haha, is that Gaelio? He actually develops into a more interesting character beyond a Purple Smithers type.

I've been thinking about rewatching IBO. That show ended up being way better than I was expecting at first. Probably the best Gundam tv series since Turn A, other than Build Fighters.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Original Smithers is Purple Smithers (almost)
https://i./i/pix/2014/11/18/1416278596512_Image_galleryImage_I_ve_been_reading_The_Sim.JPG

haha, is that Gaelio? He actually develops into a more interesting character beyond a Purple Smithers type.

I've been thinking about rewatching IBO. That show ended up being way better than I was expecting at first. Probably the best Gundam tv series since Turn A, other than Build Fighters.
Heck Yeah it is, I have just finished watching it a few minutes ago, it's all the way up there with the best Gundam shows, I was crying through half of the second season.

Nov 4, 2017
I think you ask an interesting question, we of course know about the Char Clone, nearly every series has a variant of Char that is: the rival, the mentor, the big bad.
I'm not sure if the fandom has terms for clones of other characters that crop up maybe we should just do what Fire Emblem does and name the archetype after the first person that fulfilled that role. I feel like multiple series have had Ramba Ral clones like Norris from 08th ms, some series have had Yazan Gable clones, or Amuro clones.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you ask an interesting question, we of course know about the Char Clone, nearly every series has a variant of Char that is: the rival, the mentor, the big bad.
I'm not sure if the fandom has terms for clones of other characters that crop up maybe we should just do what Fire Emblem does and name the archetype after the first person that fulfilled that role. I feel like multiple series have had Ramba Ral clones like Norris from 08th ms, some series have had Yazan Gable clones, or Amuro clones.
Even Seed has a Ramba Ral. I don't know if Zeta does though.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder, what's the chances we see a 2.0 of Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice, or Destiny anytime soon? Been eyeing the Full Burst MG but hesitating on the idea they could put one out at some point that's a good improvement.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder, what's the chances we see a 2.0 of Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice, or Destiny anytime soon? Been eyeing the Full Burst MG but hesitating on the idea they could put one out at some point that's a good improvement.

We got the SEED 2.0's two years ago. Not sure when the last Destiny MG's dropped but it doesn't seem like they are coming in the immediate future at least. There have been so many Strike Freedom's though that I can't even tell which are which after googling them lol. I can't imagine they are too far off since the old kits are now 10 years old and being popular designs, but I think we would get a lot of hype around them like the 2.0's when they do get announced.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only a couple episodes in and I feel like most/all of the good stuff came later on, but I'm disappointed to say, early into my 08th MS Team rewatch, this show isn't living up to how well I thought I remembered it. :\ Or maybe it's the dub that isn't nearly as good as I remember.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only a couple episodes in and I feel like most/all of the good stuff came later on, but I'm disappointed to say, early into my 08th MS Team rewatch, this show isn't living up to how well I thought I remembered it. :\ Or maybe it's the dub that isn't nearly as good as I remember.
The episodic approach doesn't work anymore nowadays, and having a dedicated episode per character feels really artificial. The later half is still really good once all of the formulaic stuff is out of the way.

Of all the 90s OVAs, only War in the Pocket stood the test of time. Though you could argue that Stardust Memory wasn't very good even in its time.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
We got the SEED 2.0's two years ago. Not sure when the last Destiny MG's dropped but it doesn't seem like they are coming in the immediate future at least. There have been so many Strike Freedom's though that I can't even tell which are which after googling them lol. I can't imagine they are too far off since the old kits are now 10 years old and being popular designs, but I think we would get a lot of hype around them like the 2.0's when they do get announced.

Info I saw indicated the MG came out December 2006 in the regular and Full Burst versions. Didn't see anything on a later one though it's possible. That one at least seems to be about 13 years old now.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we ARE getting an MG of the Gunner Zaku Warrior, of all things.

I think Destiny 2.0 MGs might not be too far off.

Deleted member 31423

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Gamestop has a b1g1 50% action figures so i got the gundam universe unicorn and rx 78 for $42. Theyre not the most detailed figures but for 20 bucks i'm satisfied.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to actually finish a show for the first time in a year or two thanks to paternal leave. Came away way more positive on G Gundam than I expected. Very nice ending.

Wing is next in my queue, haven't seen it since Toonami. Already noticing that I don't think I've seen this ED before and some of the sound effects/eyecatch may be different, but it was a long time ago.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting, most of the Gundam blu rays are already on sale due to the 32-bit sale. I believe more will be added up until the end of the month.

I picked up CCA, F91, 08th MS Team and the OG movie trilogy myself. Next time I get paid I might go a bit wilder lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to actually finish a show for the first time in a year or two thanks to paternal leave. Came away way more positive on G Gundam than I expected. Very nice ending.

Wing is next in my queue, haven't seen it since Toonami. Already noticing that I don't think I've seen this ED before and some of the sound effects/eyecatch may be different, but it was a long time ago.
Wing's ending didn't even come to this country till the DVD release. I like G Gundam, but it's never going to be my favorite and I legit roll my eyes at every post from people heralding as their favorite. Also I swear Wing didn't have consistent eye catch music till like ep 10 or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up the Thunderbolt 2-pack (only saw the first and loved it) and Glory of the Losers 4,5, and 6 thanks to the RightStuf post, so thanks!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, so are the other ones going to be unlockable or you have to buy them? I find it hard to believe that there's even a possibility of the RX-78 2 not being an initial suit if it's not in the top 10.

As a big fan of Plamo-Kyoshiro, I did vote for FA Gundam

Last edited: