• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lockon

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, so are the other ones going to be unlockable or you have to buy them? I find it hard to believe that there's even a possibility of the RX-78 2 not being an initial suit if it's not in the top 10.

As a big fan of Plamo-Kyoshiro, I did vote for FA Gundam

Most of them will be in crates (gacha). I guess people don't know any better. RX-78 2 will one of the first you can buy with in-game money since it'll be in the initial gacha. Most suits will be available to buy with in-game money after a few months after they are first available in the gacha.

Most of the suits that you can votes came out later in the Japanese version.

Edit: I don't know why they show picture of RX-78 2 with hyper hammer...it doesn't come with the suit lol.

Dec 18, 2017
13 episodes deep into IBO and while I'm digging a lot of this, I'm not sure I can endorse a Gundam with both a harem ship and lolis. Please tell me it gets a bit better?

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The show itself gets better, but I honestly don't remember if what you have an issue with (Naze's crew? Is that it?) changes or not.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
13 episodes deep into IBO and while I'm digging a lot of this, I'm not sure I can endorse a Gundam with both a harem ship and lolis. Please tell me it gets a bit better?
It doesn't get "better" because it's not a "good" thing. Nothing in IBO is to be viewed from a lens of "these are really good guys and everything they do is good just because they fight the good fight". In fact, IBO really surprised me with how it progressed with the story and how it ultimately ended. One of the strongest non-UC Gundam stories when taken in totality. Especially from a character perspective.

- Child soldiers are bad
- Yakuza are bad
- Armed revolutions are bad
- Using might is right as a mentality is bad

- All of the above can also be used for good causes and the people involved in them might have good intentions in their hearts, but the path to hell is paved with good intentions, and IBO is about riding a one way roller coaster into hell

Dec 18, 2017
It doesn't get "better" because it's not a "good" thing. Nothing in IBO is to be viewed from a lens of "these are really good guys and everything they do is good just because they fight the good fight". In fact, IBO really surprised me with how it progressed with the story and how it ultimately ended. One of the strongest non-UC Gundam stories when taken in totality. Especially from a character perspective.

- Child soldiers are bad
- Yakuza are bad
- Armed revolutions are bad
- Using might is right as a mentality is bad

- All of the above can also be used for good causes and the people involved in them might have good intentions in their hearts, but the path to hell is paved with good intentions, and IBO is about riding a one way roller coaster into hell
That's reassuring. My issue with the harem ship/loli marriage/Mika is definitely broken in some way awas that it seemed, for the moment, like it was super uncritical of it, bordering on endorsing. Which dripped down to a number of other things too. But if I know it is at least aware enough to address it, I can continue plowing through.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Got my 00 10th anniversary set from Rightstuf. I was surprised it was so much smaller than the Wing set but I guess it's good that there's less wasted space.

I still have the DVDs staring at me and I never made it through season 2 so maybe I'll start it from the beginning again on Blu.

Dec 18, 2017
Okay, I finished the first season of IBO and one of my favorite things was the recontextualization of McGillis as a horrific figure instead of the dubiously generous one he was at first presented as. Also as much as I like the Tekkadan bois, it's refreshing to see them being presented as every bit as disconcerting as they are (especially Mika's brutality). Something tells me Kudelia's is going to have to confront the fact that she now resides with monsters, if she doesn't become one first.

Side note, one of my friends heard me watching the dub while Mika was asking Orga how many he should kill, and he straight up blurted out that Mika sounded like a psychopath.

ALSO, just finished my RG Banshee Norn and I didn't think I could fall in love with a kit like this after the greatest hits run of the RG Sazabi and the MG Seed kits. Does anyone know any 3rd party RG weapon expansion kits? I tried giving my Banshee the Origin Zaku sniper rifle but they're super incompatible.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Side note, one of my friends heard me watching the dub while Mika was asking Orga how many he should kill, and he straight up blurted out that Mika sounded like a psychopath.
Yes. The writing in IBO is very deliberate and doesn't pull any punches. It can be pretty upsetting when you realise that these are all kids, and they didn't CHOOSE to become this way entirely on their own. A broken system makes broken people - not heroes. It's a theme that Gundam almost confronted when they did Gundam Wing, and again when they did Gundam 00, but they couldn't resist making the protagonists into real heroes in the end just to sell more toys. Their lack of emotion or empathy were played off as them being damaged but cool dudes who ultimately don't actually do what they say ("I don't care", "I'll kill you", etc). IBO takes this concept and runs with it in a way that never made me think of Orga or Mika as heroes. And by the end it is clear that they were never meant to be, which made me really respect the series.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
SEED also briefly flirts with it a few times with both Kira and the Federation's own team of coordinators.

Dec 18, 2017
SEED also briefly flirts with it a few times with both Kira and the Federation's own team of coordinators.
That's right, the pilots of the Calamity, Raider and Forbidden. But I always felt like they were kinda one dimensional? Like I was never meant to sympathize with the dudes gleefully tearing through the protagonists' friends the moment they showed descent.
Yes. The writing in IBO is very deliberate and doesn't pull any punches. It can be pretty upsetting when you realise that these are all kids, and they didn't CHOOSE to become this way entirely on their own. A broken system makes broken people - not heroes. It's a theme that Gundam almost confronted when they did Gundam Wing, and again when they did Gundam 00, but they couldn't resist making the protagonists into real heroes in the end just to sell more toys. Their lack of emotion or empathy were played off as them being damaged but cool dudes who ultimately don't actually do what they say ("I don't care", "I'll kill you", etc). IBO takes this concept and runs with it in a way that never made me think of Orga or Mika as heroes. And by the end it is clear that they were never meant to be, which made me really respect the series.
This exactly, I feel the closest I've otherwise seen in recent Gundam was Thunderbolt (I've only watched the first movie), and the fact that the FA-78 pilot is... a colossal dick. Like, plays with a lot of the 'cool guy' tropes like being super chill, and playing jazz while he fights, but taking an uncharacteristic glee in killing off the Deadman's Crew members, who are otherwise clearly victims of their circumstances. I don't know if the rest of Thunderbolt addresses him, but I definitely felt icky supporting him in any way, vs. Darryl who felt a lot more sympathetic in how he was dealing with his trauma.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
IBO had the courage to go places and do things that other Gundam shows loved to talk about but never actually do it.

This exactly, I feel the closest I've otherwise seen in recent Gundam was Thunderbolt (I've only watched the first movie), and the fact that the FA-78 pilot is... a colossal dick. Like, plays with a lot of the 'cool guy' tropes like being super chill, and playing jazz while he fights, but taking an uncharacteristic glee in killing off the Deadman's Crew members, who are otherwise clearly victims of their circumstances. I don't know if the rest of Thunderbolt addresses him, but I definitely felt icky supporting him in any way, vs. Darryl who felt a lot more sympathetic in how he was dealing with his trauma.
Sincerely the Federation Jazz Pilot (I don't remember his name) is placed as a straight up villain, the Deadman's Crew and Darryl were victims of war forced into a shitty situation, Darryl dealing with his situation, particularly on season 2, just puts him as the hero of the story. Jazz Pilot just feels like some random asshole.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Io Fleming might be an asshole but I have to laugh at calling him a villain. I'm not aware of him killing any civilian or anything that could put him into that category.
When did killing enemy soldiers in the battlefield start counting for being a villain? What was he to do? Let the Zeon pilots kill without opposition all the wet behind the ears recruits that the top brass dumped on him?

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Io Fleming might be an asshole but I have to laugh at calling him a villain. I'm not aware of him killing any civilian or anything that could put him into that category.
When did killing enemy soldiers in the battlefield start counting for being a villain? What was he to do? Let the Zeon pilots kill without opposition all the wet behind the ears recruits that the top brass dumped on him?
I'm glad that you could remember his name, because I couldn't. It's just that he is an complete asshole that is all, and between our two protagonists, the injured soldier that sacrificed his own body to be able to continue to live and help a person he cares about and the rich kid asshole pilot who mocks the Deadman's Crew pilots for their disabilities, between the two, it's just make for quite some contrast.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Still not a villain, just an asshole.
And you can bet that if I were in a war I would use the vilest behaviour on an enemy if it meant I can play mindgames with them. No matter how tiny the advantage it gave me was.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude! Its time to relive the goodtimes with Shinn Asuka and Athrun Zala [Again]!

https://na.gundam.info/news/video-mu...90724_004.html

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED DESTINY HD REMASTER will be streaming on GUNDAM.INFO from July 24, 2019 - November 22, 2019!

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED DESTINY HD REMASTER will stream for free on GUNDAM.INFO!
- Streaming : July 24, 2019 - November 22, 2019
- Languages (sub): English, Chinese (HK/TW), Korean
Don't miss it!

tumblr_n69p4q2Qzd1sdhuzuo1_500.gif

tumblr_muizrfh0wi1rjnbslo1_500.jpg

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Io Fleming is the best Gundam protagonist in a while, bar none! Thunderbolt's manga makes him a more sympathetic and likeable character. Daryl's cool too but it seems like Io is the deeper character. People are just quick to give Daryl the bid because he's an amputee but he becomes more villainous as the manga goes on.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Dude! Its time to relive the goodtimes with Shinn Asuka and Athrun Zala [Again]!

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED DESTINY HD REMASTER will be streaming on GUNDAM.INFO from July 24, 2019 - November 22, 2019!

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED DESTINY HD REMASTER will stream for free on GUNDAM.INFO!
Don't miss it!

Well, the upcoming Master Grade Gunner ZAKU Warrior (Lunamaria Hawke Custom) needs some promo so, obviously, they would stream Seed Destiny during the days leading to its release.
I'm wondering if there's going to be a P-Bandai release of the Live Concert ZAKU Warrior.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Free time is for gunpla. And then check the episodes where the Mobile Suit appears for reference during the build.
The only problem comes in certain occasions like with the Pallas Athene that I just finished. I tried to find in what part of Zeta it uses the 8 large missiles featured in the HGUC. I lost a couple of hours skipping to the parts where it appeared just to find out that they are never shown in the series or the movie. I think they only exist in videogames. Really, fuck videogame-exclusive equipment appearing in regular gunpla. That's what P-Bandai extra sets are for.
Then there's S Gundam that's going to be my next build and you have to weep for it never being animated (except a fleeting appearance in Build Fighters).

Last edited:

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Free time is for gunpla. And then check the episodes where the Mobile Suit appears for reference during the build.
The only problem comes in certain occasions like with the Pallas Athene that I just finished. I tried to find in what part of Zeta it uses the 8 large missiles featured in the HGUC. I lost a couple of hours skipping to the parts where it appeared just to find out that they are never shown in the series or the movie. I think they only exist in videogames. Really, fuck videogame-exclusive equipment appearing in regular gunpla. That's what P-Bandai extra sets are for.
Then there's S Gundam that's going to be my next build and you have to weep for it never being animated (except a fleeting appearance in Build Fighters).
I was using the S Gundam in SD Generations Genesis this morning ^^

It never occurred to me to use the anime to double check my builds... Doh

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I picked up the Gundam Universe Wing Gundam figure on a whim (saw it at Gamestop). I admit to sorta regretting it until I actually opened it up and messed around with it. I'm actually impressed with it. It's no Robot Damashii, but it's straight up nostalgia bait for people like me who grew up with those crappy MSiA figures and I fell for it. And I'll probably end up collecting the rest.

I did manage to find my ooooooold Wing figure to compare it too. 19 years difference is certainly something.

67319412-10157448234373114-7445927498174431232-o.jpg

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Hey, MSIA brought us a ton of cheap figures of suits we'll probably never see again. Sure the sculpts were soft but I still love that line.

Oct 27, 2017
Saw a Moon Gundam at my local Gunpla shop (Mastergrade Hobbies) and thought the suit looked interesting. Here's my deal: Gundam VS got me back into Gundam which turned into me ordering the Wing collection, watch some other shows on Gundam info and pick up a bunch of kits since then. So if a suit/series isn't in VS or been brought up in threads like this or come up in wikis I've used for suit research, I don't know anything about it lol. I will research it now, but wondering what some of you think about it. Suit or brand it's from.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
All I know about Moon is that it's called the best HG Gundam around. Pretty much universally praised but I have not made one or taken a look at the Manga its coming from.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm building the Moon Gundam right now and it's pretty sick for an HG. No stickers and great detail.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I did manage to find my ooooooold Wing figure to compare it too. 19 years difference is certainly something.
At first I thought the figure you just bought was the one on the left and I was gonna say that Bandai swindled you. The one in the right looks miles better. That is true.
So if a suit/series isn't in VS or been brought up in threads like this or come up in wikis I've used for suit research, I don't know anything about it lol.
You made me check the wiki for Moon Gundam and I just learned that the idiots from Moon Moon are somehow involved. Something I suspected could be possible, given the name, but I didn't really know for sure.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017

Don't miss it!

I only saw a few eps of Destiny but did it get better or did shinn get less annoying?

Shinn asuka is probably my most hated gundam main, the same level as kamille bidan

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I only saw a few eps of Destiny but did it get better or did shinn get less annoying?

Shinn asuka is probably my most hated gundam main, the same level as kamille bidan
Idk how much to say if you're intending on seeing it, but Destiny is kind of a train wreck. Let's just say Shinn isn't the main character for the whole show.

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm tempted to get the Moon Gundam but I'm still in the middle of my Psycho Zaku (Thunderbolt), just picked up Heavy Arms MG ver Ka (red) there last night, waiting for my F-91 2.0 to come in and my Dragon Momoko Deathscythe literally just came in.

So my backlog and wallet are crying (though not as much as that one backlog post from a week or so ago lol).

I don't know what the opinion of Dragon Momoko is but I thought the Deathscythe kit looked stunning as I prefer the TV D.Hell to the bat wing EW version (despite liking the idea of a hyperstylized version of the suit). So one that sticks with the tv suit's silhouette but with that added "edge" that suits the name just works for me.

Ordered the F-91 because I wanted a kit that had a more classic, simple Gundam look that wasn't necessarily the original. So while playing VS, I was looking at some of the designs I was drawn towards that fit that criteria and tried them out. Landed on the F-91 because of the look, feel and move set of the suit. Was even blown away by the 4k trailer on youtube when I was researching the suit. How's the flick?

Oct 27, 2017
The story is a mess because they had to condense something that was going to be a series into a film with a length of a couple of hours.
It's pretty to look at, though.
A guy at the shop said as much about the series-come-movie, but didn't talk about the quality other than "had no idea what was going on" lol.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Shinn and basically a lot of Destiny's cast, don't change. There are essentially 0 character arcs in it which is massively weird in story telling. Shinn is a mess from minute 0 to the last. Even as the credits roll its clear he didn't learn shit.

What an awful character. As always though, mech design in SEED is pretty on point. Aside from those weird Dingo/Dog transforming ones, those always were so out of place.

Oct 25, 2017
Shinn and basically a lot of Destiny's cast, don't change. There are essentially 0 character arcs in it which is massively weird in story telling. Shinn is a mess from minute 0 to the last. Even as the credits roll its clear he didn't learn shit.
Why you gotta say stuff like this. Shinn is human and responds in the same way most normal humans would respond. Its why hes such an awesome character.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Why you gotta say stuff like this. Shinn is human and responds in the same way most normal humans would respond. Its why hes such an awesome character.

To an extent sure. Shinn is a tragic character. His family dies right in front of him, he has no real outlet for that in the handful of years that lead to his registration into the ZAFT forces. But his entire thought process goes from being grief filled reasoning to he clearly just has a mental disorder and would probably be a monster even if his family was alive. He seeks approval from sources that he clearly shouldn't (which would be an interesting trait if he only STOPPED at some point.) He's got all the support in the world as well in the form of subordinates, friends, and veterans who genuinely try to care for him and he rejects their common sense advice at every turn, but falls for obvious manipulation at every chance.

He's just got no actual agency throughout Destiny is perhaps the biggest flaw. He's written almost like a monstrous side character and maybe would have been best as one from the start not the half way point.

His whole character is just not made to be likable, relate-able, or even sympathetic. We put people like him in mental hospitals. Then again, they put him in a 30 meter tall war machine and let him go ham for those reasons lol.

Shinn has the beginnings of a good character but because he does not evolve at all while others like Kira and especially Athurn did, Mr. Asuka is just a hard pill to swallow. Now that I think about it, Shinn is just Kira and Athrun combined, if they never took a minute to question the BS coming out of the mouths of people around them. They might have gotten there at some point if they did not lean back on Kira, but I honestly doubt it given how deep into the show we get before that shift happens and how hes still acting when Athrun bodies him in the last episode

(series might be worth sitting through just for that cathartic moment lol)

Dec 18, 2017
A little late to the party, but Barnes and Noble is having a dope Gunpla sale, with 25% off a lot of their kits and an additional 10% with their SUNNYDAYS promo. I ordered an HG Moon and Sinanju Stein Narrative Ver. for about $50 shipped.

Oct 25, 2017

Shinn is Kamille without the nuance or actual growth. Also no, Destiny never gets better. You either stop watching or just learn to revel in the fuckery and recycled stock footage.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny gets so bad, like it nosedives after episode 14 for some of the worst shit in the whole franchise

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny gets so bad, like it nosedives after episode 14 for some of the worst shit in the whole franchise

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Shinn is Kamille without the nuance or actual growth. Also no, Destiny never gets better. You either stop watching or just learn to revel in the fuckery and recycled stock footage.
The re-used animation in SEED is just absurd, the amount of times they keep the re-using the exact same shot over and over in the same goddamn episode is so absolutely horrible that it just leaves me impressed, how the fuck do you get away with such blatant use of it, it feels like there's ZERO effort in hiding it. And although it's cool each show gets four openings, first Gundam show to have so many, all of them look like the exact same, and they all look terrible.