• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I am nearly finished with my 08th MS Team rewatch and I am disappointed to report that the series, which used to be #1 Gundam pick, is not as good as I remember it. Still enjoying it, some episodes more than others, but I've come to realize that Shiro is basically a shitty character, chastising the others for not adhering to "Teamwork!!!" while frequently showboating and going off on his own adventures, particularly in the first few episodes. The Aina stuff is also lamer and more ridiculous than I remember; this was all pre-SEED, and looking at it now, it feels prescient of what Sunrise would do with Kria (and to a lesser extent Banagher) in portraying the lead as this above-the-fray "we don't want your war!" enlightened pilot.

The episode where the team fights off a Zeon incursion into the guerrilla village is a real highlight though, in large part because it forces Shiro to actually challenge his newfound convictions and, to an extent, even slightly mocks him for it (thinking of his trial where he gives this big speech about love and everyone laughs or sighs at him). Where this episode really shines is the scale in conveys in human vs. mobile suit combat: the anti-personnel weapon tearing the villagers to pieces; the Zaku prepping to jump, with the engine incinerating the villagers right below it; Shiro launching an rpg at the Zaku's gun, blowing open its mag and forcing all the bullets inside to spill out. Little touches like that really add up.

Anyway -- I've got The Shuddering Mountain coming up next. Much as a lot of this series is not living up to memory, I have no doubt these next two will...

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I HATE the way 08th MS team ends. There is nothing more cowardly than desertion and desertion for some pussy makes it even worse. The only people desertion hurts is your fellow soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen. Shiro is such a fucking hypocritical coward.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I really dislike 08th MS Team last episode, mostly because the one before it was a perfect ending for the series, and the actual last episode feels completely unnecessary.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
tumblr_n5tmllKj2b1sounv6o1_1280.png

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Emma is a different story, she defects from the Titans to try to do good and change things for the better. She also wasn't in a leadership position.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Mao is perfect and must be protected.

From what? himself?

Started watching SEED again since I don't remember like, any of it and never tried the "HD Remaster." Hooo boy does this show move slow. 10 episodes in and jack all has really happened.

Also Flay is just... the worst. Shes extremely hard to sit through for all the reasons her character exits. And Sai's Japanese voice haha, why the hell does he sound like a 65 year old man.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I HATE the way 08th MS team ends. There is nothing more cowardly than desertion and desertion for some pussy makes it even worse. The only people desertion hurts is your fellow soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen. Shiro is such a fucking hypocritical coward.
Shiro is a hypocrite long before that.

I really dislike 08th MS Team last episode, mostly because the one before it was a perfect ending for the series, and the actual last episode feels completely unnecessary.

Toonami never aired the very last episode, so for years I thought Shiro and Aina walking away from the last battle, with Shiro having lost a leg, was the end. When I finally did get around to watching the actual last episode years later, I wished Shuddering Mountain pt. 2 had been the end lol. Like you said, it's totally unnecessary; adds nothing to the story and feels like such a digression.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Reccoa has her plus points but her minus points vastly outnumber them. She starts somewhat OK but then it goes into a spiral of WTF events; some of which specifically negate her previous plus points.

Oct 25, 2017
Reccoa has her plus points but her minus points vastly outnumber them. She starts somewhat OK but then it goes into a spiral of WTF events; some of which specifically negate her previous plus points.
I think her justification for being batshit and inconsistent from her own words was, "because I'm a woman" or something. Emma really put her in her place during the final confrontation.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I can understand her attitude in early Zeta, for example when Camille thinks she shouldn't descend on Jaburo because it's dangerous. Being pigeonholed into not being able to do dangerous stuff just because you are a woman has to be annoying.
Her rationalizations during late Zeta certainly cannot stand the most cursory inspection before they crumble. Paptimus told her exactly what she wanted to hear so she would do his bidding. At that point, it was obvious she just didn't give much of a fuck any longer.

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand her attitude in early Zeta, for example when Camille thinks she shouldn't descend on Jaburo because it's dangerous. Being pigeonholed into not being able to do dangerous stuff just because you are a woman has to be annoying.
Her rationalizations during late Zeta certainly cannot stand the most cursory inspection before they crumble. Paptimus told her exactly what she wanted to hear so she would do his bidding. At that point, it was obvious she just didn't give much of a fuck any longer.
"Paptimus-sama laid his pimp hand on me, I shall do what he says."

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
08th MS Team has some good moments, but I feel most people are more into the idea of the more grounded Gundam war series than 08th itself.

Mao is wonderful, remembering that he's a Gundam X fan too fills my heart with happiness.

Remembering how the characters in BF actually talk about Gundam and have discernible favorites just makes me more sad about Try.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
08th MS Team has some good moments, but I feel most people are more into the idea of the more grounded Gundam war series than 08th itself.

Remembering how the characters in BF actually talk about Gundam and have discernible favorites just makes me more sad about Try.
Yeah, does Try have different writer from the first series or something? 1st Build Fighter series is amazing. from the characters to the battle, the right amount of ridiculousness and self awareness. I loved when Felini being super dramatic trying to blow up his Wing Gundam to take out Aila's suit, or when the deal with Yakuza with gunpla battle, lol

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
"Paptimus-sama laid his pimp hand on me, I shall do what he says."
As I see it, Reccoa wanted a man to tell her "I need you. Will you risk your life for me?"
Quattro just wasn't willing to go through the charade while Paptimus was. Mainly because of two reasons: Quattro felt no real attraction towards Reccoa and it looked like he was trying to change his deceptive behavior associated with his Char persona. Maybe seeing how well it served Paptimus made him go back to being a manipulative asshole in CCA which he already was in The Origin.
Returning to Reccoa, I wouldn't say that she had a death wish but she is a bit "bushido" in that going away in a blaze of glory seemed to be the way she preferred to end.

Have some gunpla for the suits associated with Reccoa as proof that I don't hate her that much.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
As I see it, Reccoa wanted a man to tell her "I need you. Will you risk your life for me?"
Quattro just wasn't willing to go through the charade while Paptimus was. Mainly because of two reasons: Quattro felt no real attraction towards Reccoa and it looked like he was trying to change his deceptive behavior associated with his Char persona. Maybe seeing how well it served Paptimus made him go back to being a manipulative asshole in CCA which he already was in The Origin.
Returning to Reccoa, I wouldn't say that she had a death wish but she is a bit "bushido" in that going away in a blaze of glory seemed to be the way she preferred to end.
I honestly think Paptimus likes manipulating and courting people in a way. There always seems to be a bit of drama with how he does it. He even manipulated or at least charmed Yazan enough to get Yazan to like him. Quattro I think was done with that stuff in Zeta. He had no revenge mission and wasn't sick of the earth yet like he was in CCA. I guess the Char you get in Zeta isn't cutthroat Char like he is in CCA and The Origin, he just seemed a bit laconic and at peace. I think he serial manipulations is why I like Paptimus so much. He just knew the exact ways to win people over and that's honestly quite dangerous.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see the waifu wars are still in full swing :P

Just accept that Allenby is best

Anyway, got my blu ray of IBO Season 1 in. I've been wanting to rewatch it, I haven't seen it since the original airing.

EDIT: That post below. That is awesome.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Bought another one. Wanted to get one in queue so when I finish my first I'll have something to go into. It's so fun. Thank you build divers for making me want to buy models.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Bought another one. Wanted to get one in queue so when I finish my first I'll have something to go into. It's so fun. Thank you build divers for making me want to buy models.

There's a dedicated plastic model thread (where a lot of the builds are gunpla) in case you are interested.
www.resetera.com

Plastic Scale Modelling |OT| Gunpla and Everything Else

Since several people have expressed interest in a dedicated plastic modelling I have decided to make one. The aim of this thread is to serve as a place for discussing anything related to plastic scale modelling and hopefully, to get more people interested in the hobby. So if you're looking for...

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Zeta...

This fan-made (well done) OP for Zeta makes me really want an entire Zeta remake with new animation, instead of that piecemeal crap we got for the movies:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
So, I have this question for the MG Jegan I'm building that maybe someone can answer.
It's about the shoulder numbering. If I wanted it to be Kayra Su's machine during CCA, given that she is in Amuro's unit and Re-GZ is shown as sporting number 01 in gunpla, I'm not entirely sure if she should be number 02 as the second MS or number 01 as the first Jegan. In short, I don't know if numbering in military units resets for different vehicle types or if it is consecutive across the same unit.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
She could have any number. The number is the order of production for a vessel type.

For one of our battle groups you might have CG57, 61 And 70 along with DDG 58, 64, 81,104, 113 led by CVN69. Hell in theory you could have like CVN68, DDG68 and CG68 all in one group if they weren't stationed on different coasts lol.

And a hornet formation could have any crazy number of numbers. The call signs are what are going to be identifying individual pilots. Units break down and pilots are given new planes, they just paint over the old pilots and squadron markings. But the number will stay the same more for supply, troubleshooting and manufacturer purposes so you can see trends in high Gail items on a particular piece of equipment.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Thanks for the clarification.
So when Riddhe says Romeo 8 in Unicorn is that a call sign instead?
The MG regular ReZEL does suggest 008 as the default number to apply. Coincidence? An interpretation error of actual military use?

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Call signs are painted. Here is our hangar bay for example. You can see callsigns painted under the canopies
cx58f5s9c5s21.png

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
So if I were to rephrase my earlier question, imagine Amuro's call sign is Something-01 in CCA, would the call sign for Kayra be Something-02 if I am to follow the Romeo example I posted from Unicorn?
I know it's just fiction so it doesn't have to follow real life rules and, after all, it's only a marking on gunpla but I'm curious nonetheless.

BTW this looks really crowded, is it on a carrier? I'm unsure if bay always refers to a hangar on a vehicle.
EDIT: Google says it's on the USS Ronald Reagan.

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it done two ways, exactly as you describe but also as when I with the USS Laboon on the Visit Board, Search and Seizure team, where the VBSS leader was referred to as Father(because the ship was named after Father Jake Laboon), then Father 1 was second in charge, Father 2 was the breacher, etc.

And yeah that's Hangar of a Nimitz class, though I am on the Eisenhower