• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I'm going with 02 for the Jegan, then. Even though the manual suggests 01 on the markings page. :P The manual never mentions Kayra Su, though. And there are no pilot name markings, something some MG GMs do have, e.g. for South Burning.
Nevertheless, that was quite informative.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea you were in the forces. Off topic but what's it like being on a carrier?
It's weird man. Shit is huge and when we have all of our air wings onboard there are so many people. However we have amenities no other shops have like a fucking Starbucks onboard. But yeah I'm a Navy Fire Controlman First Class. I've been on a Cruiser, a destroyer, been attached to air defense artillery units and now on a Carrier.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Can I get some reccomendations for what I should be looking for when buying a good airbrush kit without breaking the bank and some advice for metallic paints

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally never encountered someone who has seen Zeta and doesn't like Emma. She's the best character in the show and one of the very best in all of Gundam.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
28 episodes deep into my SEED rewatch. Only thing I remember from SEED is that Athrun is the best normal guy character in an anime ever. On rewatch, yup still the best normal guy. Easily one the best pilots in Gundam franchise as well. Latching onto the Strike trying to fire the main cannon but running out of energy so he just mashes the self destruct and bails out, no plan, no internal monologue of what should he do, nothing, he just does it almost out of reflex. So awesome.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
28 episodes deep into my SEED rewatch. Only thing I remember from SEED is that Athrun is the best normal guy character in an anime ever. On rewatch, yup still the best normal guy. Easily one the best pilots in Gundam franchise as well. Latching onto the Strike trying to fire the main cannon but running out of energy so he just mashes the self destruct and bails out, no plan, no internal monologue of what should he do, nothing, he just does it almost out of reflex. So awesome.
That's next on my watch list, I'm midway through wing

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Lol did they add this to the HD version of SEED?
4zjfSJa.png

Also, I know SEED reused a ton of assets every episode and has a shockingly liberal use of flashbacks to pad each episode but man this is just careless. That person off to the side should not be there lol... Maybe they blew the budget on the earlier parts of episode 37

p83QpiI.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Athrun is my boi, fuck Kira though. Destiny fucking takes a hatchet job to his character. I give zero fucking shits about Lacus as well. Best Lacus is pre reconstructive surgery Meer. Now I'm just remembering Kira fucked Flay when she was dating his best friend and then beats the dude up for being mad about it...Kira's a fucking dick.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the clarification.
So when Riddhe says Romeo 8 in Unicorn is that a call sign instead?
The MG regular ReZEL does suggest 008 as the default number to apply. Coincidence? An interpretation error of actual military use?
Romeo was the callsign for the Nahel Argama's ReZel pilots. The Jegan pilots were "Juliet" iirc.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Athrun is still a genetic wonderboy just not on Kira's level. In no way is Athrun a normal pilot. lol

Well yeah, I meant mentally. He makes the decisions any normal functioning person would make in all the stupid situations everyone around him causes. It's why hes my favorite pilot, because hes a normal damn person in a sea of mental issues lol.

Also the random Destiny inserts in the HD remaster are shockingly bad and haphazard. The episode after Orb is attacked, they show a cut of Shinn and his buddies in the ZAFT military academy.... The attack on Orb was only like 2 hours ago, how is he getting enrolled already?! If they were going to slap that shot in like this, why not the last episode or during one of the later bad guy monologues a few episodes down the line.

Also also, I hate the second gen gundams, Calamity, Raider, and Forbidden. Calamity is ok if not a little boring, but the other two are a design left turn its weird. Especially Forbidden, that scythe was the biggest "ya'll couldn't help yourself huh" in SEED's designs. For how much of a threat they seem to try to make them be, they certainly do a whole lot of nothing as well.

In the last few episodes of this re-watch and I'm enjoying it for the most part. Honestly love the background concept of SEED's genetic engineering as the reason for their amazing skills rather than a loosely defined not-the force of UC.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, I meant mentally. He makes the decisions any normal functioning person would make in all the stupid situations everyone around him causes. It's why hes my favorite pilot, because hes a normal damn person in a sea of mental issues lol.
He knows when shit goes wrong and acts accordingly, he's the only good part of Destiny...when Destiny isn't busy eroding his entire character arc from Seed of course.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
How the hell did I never realize that they are To-minovsky particles?
When I reached the part timestamped here I was like OMGWTF.

I've got to say that the picture of Tomino that this documentary paints makes me respect him more. He is still a bit too crazy a lot of the time and I wish he had someone who can rein him in and channel his creativity into something more coherent than what he usually ends up giving us. Too often it feels like an explosion of ideas, too many of which never go anywhere relevant.

Oct 27, 2017
20190814_1654359dkpu.jpg

I both LOVE and really dislike this Dragon Momoko Deathscythe kit.

First, the plastic molding isn't the greatest, nearly always needing a tab trim/shave to snap together smoothly (even on unpainted parts). There's also the bit more than rare occasion of extra flash and visible seams in odd areas. But the black matte paint I'm using masks all that and looks great after careful shaving

The stickers flake easily if you happen to use your fingernail, exposing the shiny foil underneath (seen on the grey trim on the shoulders). And the red triangles with the black inner triangles are off-centered...

One great thing about the engineering is on most exterior pieces, the snip tabs are on inner seams so any excess is cleaned up in a non-visible area. Less pock-marks that way. I've seen this on only a few pieces in a Bandai kit, not the majority like here.

But overall, I love the look of it. The matte black makes it even better, can't wait to see it complete with a top coat.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Cross post from the plastic kit thread
Hmmm a brown bagged box with a Japanese shipping label, I wonder what it could be
DJ4vnMI.jpg

Tada! It's nice to have a backlog again
CmbGCsN.jpg

Kinda interesting to see how things have changed, the MG box is only slightly bigger...
I definitely think I want to use my Shining Gundam for my first panel lining practice but I still need advice and tips

Again this is what I have, only the right most one is for panel lining, the others are for detail painting like the Vulcans on the RX-78-2 HG that are just white.
AShiUvh_d.jpg

I am wondering if I can get away for using the yellow paint marker for the charge mode leg boosters on the shining though
Got in shining on Monday
Kuonwtv_d.jpg

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
20190814_1654359dkpu.jpg

I both LOVE and really dislike this Dragon Momoko Deathscythe kit.

First, the plastic molding isn't the greatest, nearly always needing a tab trim/shave to snap together smoothly (even on unpainted parts). There's also the bit more than rare occasion of extra flash and visible seams in odd areas. But the black matte paint I'm using masks all that and looks great after careful shaving

The stickers flake easily if you happen to use your fingernail, exposing the shiny foil underneath (seen on the grey trim on the shoulders). And the red triangles with the black inner triangles are off-centered...

One great thing about the engineering is on most exterior pieces, the snip tabs are on inner seams so any excess is cleaned up in a non-visible area. Less pock-marks that way. I've seen this on only a few pieces in a Bandai kit, not the majority like here.

But overall, I love the look of it. The matte black makes it even better, can't wait to see it complete with a top coat.

That's cool. Is it a knock-off/recreation or an actual Dragon Momoko kit? Didn't Bandai kill them a year or so ago?

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool. Is it a knock-off/recreation or an actual Dragon Momoko kit? Didn't Bandai kill them a year or so ago?
I'm not sure how I would know as I was never familiar with such a brand until searching for a MG Deathscythe custom tv version (only have the HG).

It's a Dragon Momoko labeled box with a high quality instruction book. As far as I know, this kit has been out a while.

Oct 27, 2017
20190815_230009-1t3kcx.jpg

Oh my I love/hate this kit haha.

What to love: Look at it! (Edit: Lol, I don't think I chose a flattering enough pic to warrant my hype here now that I see my post with the picture loaded but alas) Still need to build the wings and weapons but damn this may be my favorite looking Deathscythe Hell... and it's unofficial.

What to hate: Because of their square pegs into circular holes engineering (exaggerating), those legs WOULD NOT GO INTO THE HIPS! I had numerous close calls as my hands would slip and knock off skirt pieces or ankle pieces and even dropped the hole upper body and head onto the floor. Nothing broke, thankfully.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how I would know as I was never familiar with such a brand until searching for a MG Deathscythe custom tv version (only have the HG).

It's a Dragon Momoko labeled box with a high quality instruction book. As far as I know, this kit has been out a while.

I remember seeing of their stuff a long time ago. Sometimes they made direct knock offs but other times they added their own twist on the design and made stuff Bandai didn't bother with. They were shut down near the end 2017.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Uploading some of the stuff that I have finished since my Japan trip in May.

I'm thinking about getting a light box for better pictures. Some of these are from my balcony and others from the shelves in my hobby room.

Gunpla Summer https://imgur.com/a/1z287cu

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed big bad was taking orders for the MG F90 again. I missed it the first time around so happy to get it whenever they get more in stock. Not interested in the extra parts though I think.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Coincidentally I just pulled the trigger on the PG Strike Freedom because AmiAmi had a package damage discount that put it into 16,200 yen and honestly the damage to the box for those is usually minimal and I don't really care much about a box that will get folded once the kit is built.
The 7,300 yen shipping costs plus extra 40 euro for VAT that I will have to end paying is just something I have come to accept for such big kits.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still curious how I would tell if it was an authentic DM or a reverse-engineered fake.

No idea. While they supposedly got better with time they still were not close to Bandai's level of quality so the fact that your Deathscythe gave you trouble isn't an indicator. Heck, sometimes a fake fixes problems with the original.

Mind you, I have no idea if fake DM kits were made. I'm just surprised that they're still easy to find is all.

Oct 27, 2017
No idea. While they supposedly got better with time they still were not close to Bandai's level of quality so the fact that your Deathscythe gave you trouble isn't an indicator. Heck, sometimes a fake fixes problems with the original.

Mind you, I have no idea if fake DM kits were made. I'm just surprised that they're still easy to find is all.
Ah gotcha. After your initial post, I tried searching for that answer and came across a Reddit thread calling for folks who have unopened DM kits to hang on to them because prices will rise and Chinese knock-off companies will be interested in reverse engineering them lol.

I happened to find mine on eBay for $100+ but I knew I was paying for something rare at that price. Fake or not, I love the kit.

I do wish I had assembled the frame first and gave it its own metallic-y topcoat before final assembly. Those exposed knee areas are bothering me lol.

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances they release the Glory of the Losers (Gundam Wing manga) custom suit kits? I ask because the only way to make that version of Deathscythe Hell is by kitbashing two Ver Ka first form Deathscythes and the EW Deathscythe Hell.

I've struggled so much trying to differentiate these suits, even when wanting my local gunpla shop to order the non-televised Glory of the Losers first form suits. I don't know the official term I should be using lol and just saying EW Ver Ka makes me instantly think of the Endless Waltz custom suits but that's how these are labeled.

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally I just pulled the trigger on the PG Strike Freedom because AmiAmi had a package damage discount that put it into 16,200 yen and honestly the damage to the box for those is usually minimal and I don't really care much about a box that will get folded once the kit is built.
The 7,300 yen shipping costs plus extra 40 euro for VAT that I will have to end paying is just something I have come to accept for such big kits.
oh amiami has it?! definitely gonna try to order it next month then

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible. Gundam W kits do well and they are running low on kits that haven't been done yet.
What made me ask is I was looking at book 7 of the series that I had just picked up and saw the new Deathscythe Hell inside the front cover. What I didn't notice was the back cover showing what's called the Tallgeese F(lügel) with the angelic wings like the EW Zero suit. That'd be quite a kit (if it isn't, haven't checked but never noticed). Unless of course Bandai supports kitbashing because more $ for more kits lol. /cynicism

Edit: my newest kit as of Wednesday is the proto Zero which I've seen images of online but have no idea how it comes about in the series considering it didn't exist between the show and EW. I'm keen on picking up all of the GotL first suits. I've already shared my customized Deathscythe and I have the Heavyarms in my backlog. I just dig their closer resemblance to the tv versions (which is what attracted me to the Dragon Momoko because I haven't seen tv Hell in MG).

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
What are the chances they release the Glory of the Losers (Gundam Wing manga) custom suit kits?
In my opinion, we are more likely to get modern kits of the Mercurius and Vayeate than Glory of the Losers kits. And even if they did those, they'd almost assuredly be a P-Bandai release.
oh amiami has it?! definitely gonna try to order it next month then
While AmiAmi has it, I don't know if it will be cheaper than buying locally.
In my case, it was discounted by what AmiAmi calls "package damage". Usually, that means the box has a corner slightly crushed that they damaged while moving kits. The contents inside are in pristine condition. Because of this, the price was 16,200 yen instead of the 20,250 yen they usually charge which is a nice 20% discount. If you add shipping fees to their regular price, it might end up costing more than buying it in the US.
Buying gunpla locally in most of Europe is usually bad because, unlike the US, there's no official distribution, so importing is almost always the better option and I'm constantly on the lookout for discounts to offset the big shipping costs.

EDIT: If you aren't against buying preowned kits, there's this Master Grade Strike Freedom Gundam Full Burst that has a decent discount. I've bought plenty of preowned kits from them and they are completely fine as long as the condition is
ITEM:A-/BOX:B which is the highest rating preowned gunpla ever gets at AmiAmi even with stuff that is indistinguishable from new. I've never bought gunpla with an item rating of B+ but occasionally I've bought it with a box rating of C which has involved stuff like a slightly crushed box or a barcode that was cut off with scissors.

Last edited:

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
To second what xEik said.
We have one webstore in Sweden that sells gunpla. The Strike Freedom PG is pretty much exactly $300. If I buy it from Amazon it's $295 with free shipping (first time I've ever seen free shipping to Sweden).
AmiAmi is cheaper, $188. Another $20-30 in shipping and then comes the fun part.
Estimated customs fee and VAT is at $55.
So slightly cheaper but not by much.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
To second what xEik said.
We have one webstore in Sweden that sells gunpla. The Strike Freedom PG is pretty much exactly $300. If I buy it from Amazon it's $295 with free shipping (first time I've ever seen free shipping to Sweden).
AmiAmi is cheaper, $188. Another $20-30 in shipping and then comes the fun part.
Estimated customs fee and VAT is at $55.
So slightly cheaper but not by much.
Yeah. For some kits that webstore might be cheaper unless you buy a big bulk order from AmiAmi.

Like I've been eyeing the HiRM God Gundam. $180 at Heromic, around $110 at AmiAmi. $20-30 in shipping and around $40 in VAT + customs fee means I might as well buy it at Heromic unless I make a big order from AmiAmi.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
That's why looking for additional discounts (which are a lot more frequent in Japan's stores) is an integral part of buying gunpla in Europe.
It changes something from barely worth getting from Japan to definitely a good deal.
My backlog is big enough that currently I only buy stuff that is, at least, at a 40 or 45% discount from the listed price at AmiAmi (which includes 8% VAT so the discount is actually a bit lower) as their regular 25% discount generally isn't enough to offset all the associated costs.
Then there's the fact that anything that I get below 22€ pays no taxes, something the Swedes have already said they cannot rely on because even low price packages get taxed there most of the time.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah. For some kits that webstore might be cheaper unless you buy a big bulk order from AmiAmi.

Like I've been eyeing the HiRM God Gundam. $180 at Heromic, around $110 at AmiAmi. $20-30 in shipping and around $40 in VAT + customs fee means I might as well buy it at Heromic unless I make a big order from AmiAmi.

Isn't it big enough that buying in bulk is unlikely to reduce shipping costs?