• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
In the case of the HiRM line, it's entirely possible that it's better for you to buy it locally.
First, it's the kind of product that is less likely to get the occasional discount, unlike regular gunpla.
Second, right now we cannot be completely sure if the line will be available permanently like HG and MG or if it will be discontinued at some point in the future like what happened with the Speed Grade line (I want my 1/200 Zeta, dammit).
Because of these, if someone really wants a HiRM kit, waiting for a better price is probably useless and the difference between buying locally or from Japan will be, in all likelihood, negligible.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this guy.

88e4aea.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I had so much fun building the HG Barbatos with its different design structure. But that was for my son. I may have to get this...

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm working on my V2AB right now and I almost swallowed his face. Lol, 20+ years later and I still trim large nibs with my teeth like a gorilla

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if posting my girlfriends art is against any rules, but I have to share this... She drew a post OYW Sayla and really captured her world weariness. One of those works she does and it feels like she totally knocked it out of the park. Figured the fans here may appreciate it as much as I do.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool.

Finished V2 Assault Buster yesterday. Ended up doing a straight build since I didn't have any gold like I thought I did but I still like it a lot. HGUC Abigor when Bandai

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Cross post from the pla kit thread
Well finally broke out the Gundam markers for testing and well it still needs to finish drying and I'll have to fix the runover with red Gundam marker but boy are these better than using the stickers for color correction
kWha4br.jpg

But yeah these are great but it'll take me practice before I can do delicate parts well.
I was thinking about grabbing one or two of the other color sets and doing a custom detail build of a base kit.

What's the most fun GM HG or similar recommendation like the Leo? Something with a white or light color scheme that I can just mess around on and get a handle on these with? Just after a cheap kit to get painting down.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

ECuFzJXVUAAzwzg

The first G-Reco movie is releasing in Japan on November 29th. A lot of the G-Self scenes seem to have been redrawn.
i4sPASx.jpg

eOiMtN9.jpg

AOrtsB0.jpg

hVMU57i.jpg

I'm ready to get back on Tomino's wild ride

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok got this set coming from a us seller for 7$ and should be here in a bit over a week
rWMJ683.jpg

That'll give me gold which is what I need for my super boosters which is perfect

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Forgive the double post even if it's separated by a day.
So, the Perfect Grade Strike Freedom was delivered this morning.
If this is all the box damage that it takes to get a 35% discount (40% if you were to calculate it from the price with VAT) on a Perfect Grade, I'll take it every single time.

EC43DrNWkAUYZOY

EC43EezXYAA5HhO

EC43FUiXUAEm2A2

Honestly, the standards AmiAmi has for their "Package Damage" goods is surprisingly high. Not that I'm complaining. I guess some people do complain if they pay regular price and the box isn't in absolutely flawless condition.

++backlog;

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If this is all the box damage that it takes to get a 35% discount (40% if you were to calculate it from the price with VAT) on a Perfect Grade, I'll take it every single time.

EC43DrNWkAUYZOY

EC43EezXYAA5HhO

EC43FUiXUAEm2A2

Honestly, the standards AmiAmi has for their "Package Damage" goods is surprisingly high. Not that I'm complaining. I guess some people do complain if they pay regular price and the box isn't in absolutely flawless condition.

++backlog;

I'd love that discount myself. I throw the boxes away anyway. Now build it and tell me what I have to look forward to once I start mine :p

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017

EC43DrNWkAUYZOY

EC43EezXYAA5HhO

EC43FUiXUAEm2A2

++backlog;
Oeh nice!

Where on Amiami do they sell the "damaged" stuff? Is it in de pre-owned category?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I'd love that discount myself. I throw the boxes away anyway. Now build it and tell me what I have to look forward to once I start mine :p
I don't throw them away but I only keep the folded top so box condition is mostly irrelevant to me as long as the contents are fine.
As of when I'll get to build this, I'm expecting it will be far in the future so you'll probably build yours before I build mine.
Oeh nice!

Where on Amiami do they sell the "damaged" stuff? Is it in de pre-owned category?
The pre-owned stuff and the "package damage" stuff is different.
Package damage is completely new merchandise that they probably damaged while being moved in their warehouse. Apart from scratches or slightly crushed corners the items are as new and it only affects the box, not the contents.
You can see it listed here https://www.amiami.com/eng/c/sale/#a22 if you click on the link for the last category.
What is on offer varies almost daily for obvious reasons so one has to be on the lookout if you want to find something you are interested in at a discount that is worth to you. For example, right now, an RE/100 Efreet Custom at a very high discount is listed but already sold. I think it was still available this morning, I wasn't interested in it because mine is already built and in the shelf. I suspect the reason it's still listed is that the buyer hasn't confirmed the payment yet.

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017
I don't throw them away but I only keep the folded top so box condition is mostly irrelevant to me as long as the contents are fine.
As of when I'll get to build this, I'm expecting it will be far in the future so you'll probably build yours before I build mine.

The pre-owned stuff and the "package damage" stuff is different.
Package damage is completely new merchandise that they probably damaged while being moved in their warehouse. Apart from scratches or slightly crushed corners the items are as new and it only affects the box, not the contents.
You can see it listed here https://www.amiami.com/eng/c/sale/#a22 if you click on the link for the last category.
What is on offer varies almost daily for obvious reasons so one has to be on the lookout if you want to find something you are interested in at a discount that is worth to you. For example, right now, an RE/100 Efreet Custom at a very high discount is listed but already sold. I think it was still available this morning, I wasn't interested in it because mine is already built and in the shelf. I suspect the reason it's still listed is that the buyer hasn't confirmed the payment yet.
Thanks! That's a bookmark added to check every day :)

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Thanks! That's a bookmark added to check every day :)
As long as you don't nab the kits I want before I do. :P
Alternatively, there's the sale section that moves much more slowly. https://www.amiami.com/eng/search/list/?s_cate3=918&s_st_saleitem=1&s_saleitem=1&inctxt2=6
I'm constantly tempted by this https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=TOY-GDM-3846 if it weren't that what I'd actually like to get is a 00 Raiser, not a Seven Sword. PG are too expensive to simply get a variant just because.

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017
As long as you don't nab the kits I want before I do. :P
Alternatively, there's the sale section that moves much more slowly. https://www.amiami.com/eng/search/list/?s_cate3=918&s_st_saleitem=1&s_saleitem=1&inctxt2=6
I'm constantly tempted by this https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=TOY-GDM-3846 if it weren't that what I'd actually like to get is a 00 Raiser, not a Seven Sword. PG are too expensive to simply get a variant just because.
Haha, don't worry, I'm in the EU so for me for most kits it will always come down to an import+VAT analysis on any deal. And a huge backlog of course, I'm not in a hurry to get kits.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my rewatch of 0080 over the weekend. Unlike my somewhat disappointing rewatch of 08th MS Team, 0080 still really holds up. That last episode, I can barely stand to even watch it. It's actually worse knowing how it ends, I think, because it makes everything preceding it just gut-wrenching.

I'd also completely forgotten about how the Zeon ship with the nukes gets caught before it even gets to the colony and that Bernie's death was entirely in vain. That whole last fight is really fantastic and directed in a way you'd never see in a modern Gundam... today, if a character like Bernie died, you'd see his last moment in the cockpit just before being vaporized. The fact that we're denied a last shot like that is a small but powerful act of restraint on the director's part.

Speaking of, while the dub is a little spotty, Al's English VA does a great job articulating these tiny moans of horror when the Alex's beam saber runs right through Bernie's cockpit.

All these years later and that ending still gets to me man.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I think showing pilots being vaporized is a way to give assurance to the viewer that said pilot is confirmed dead.
I blame Kira Jesus Yamato.
And, maybe, Quattro Bajeena as well.
People were doubting whether Char and Amuro were canonically dead after CCA until Unicorn put an end to the speculation.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
There's something weird about those feet. Mobile Suits in the RX-78 line have typically had flatter feet while these look like they belong to something from Zeta or later.
EDIT: If one looks at Okawara's rendition of Mudrock it could be said that its feet are somewhat unusual but the same is true about Okawara's RX-78-4, RX-78-5 and FA-78-3 (by way of RX-78-7) and gunpla of those has used the more canon foot shape.
EDIT 2: Looking into the Mudrock itself, it is hard for me to care about a Mobile Suit that only appears as an antagonist, in a video-game from a decade before I discovered Gundam, never released in my region, for a console that had region locks. So, it being P-Bandai gets a shoulder shrug from me.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
And they just did/are soon releasing a new MG Alex too.

Zeonic Front was fun. At the time I still liked 0079 RotA more but in the grand scheme of things ZF was some good Gundam gaming.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Is that Zeta 2.0 MG new? Because I've always shied away from the transforming MGs, have they gotten any better?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is that Zeta 2.0 MG new? Because I've always shied away from the transforming MGs, have they gotten any better?
It is pretty old (~2005). I've only ever had the 1.0 and every time I get the urge to get an update I just tell myself to wait for the inevitable 3.0 ver Ka.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017

I'd almost prefer a gunpla puppet show displayed on a screen while the actors do the "talking portrait in the corner" that happens in the anime.

The MG Zeta 2.0 is OK even if it is from 2005. The Mk II 2.0 is also from 2005 and I think it's excellent.
I can see why people would wait for a 2.0 GP01, GP02 and GP03 but a Zeta 3.0 is probably low in Bandai's priorities. I'd say even stuff like Guncannon, Dom, Zaku I, ReGZ or Qubeley might get a 2.0 before Zeta gets a 3.0
I'm not very good at predicting future gunpla releases, though.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
You'll have to forgive my second double post of the page but I had to laugh at how these events unfolded:

/defends MG Zeta 2.0 in previous post
/goes to check if there's some juicy gunpla offer
/sees there's a Package Damage Zeta for a 43% discount
/...
/unceremoniously clicks Buy

I know the PG Zeta is old but a PG is a PG and those haven't gotten 2.0 versions so far (although I expect some day the PG RX-78-2 2.0 will come) so if one wants a 1/60 Zeta, what are you gonna do?

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
PG Zeta is a good kit, granted I built it literally 18 years ago so my memories may not be super valid lol.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I was reading on it and the beam sabers LEDs use a slightly uncommon kind of cylindrical battery called BR435 that I've never seen in my life. Units for testing are apparently included but I checked Amazon and the only ones offered are from sellers abroad and they are used for fishing equipment. What?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My PG Zeta is not in very good shape any more, I need to lean it up against the back of my shelf to get it to stand up.

Time does a number on those old PC joints. Some can be tightened with screws at least.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Cross post from plakit thread
Progress! Gold marker came in yesterday and it works perfectly
LFxVzun.jpg

YBLLzA0.jpg

I'm less perfect but it's looking good despite how rough I am at painting.

I'll have to touch up the boosters after I cut them off but overall I did pretty decently. I have to decide if I'm doing painting on the core launcher fighter cockpit or using stickers. And if I'm painting the vents which will be a True challenge. I do have some gentle adhesive painters tape I picked up but I could use advice

Then comes the true challenge: panel lining! Or maybe that'll be easier after all this painting by comparison XD.

Also any top coat recommendations(in USA), I'm not sure whether matte or gloss, problem is the gold needs a gloss, but the rest would probably need matte. Plus what's the easiest method?

Also finally back to watching wing gundam. Boy the Ebion is a cool design, does it have a good kit? I'm definitely enjoying the show, but after dinner it's going on break while I start on Astral chain

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I like Mr. Super Clear to top coat. Comes in flat, semi and gloss.

As for Epyon, I've heard good things about the Glory of the Losers MG, but I've only built the old HG 1/100 and no grade 1/144 back when Gundam W kits were eeeeeeeeeverywhere in 00/01

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Cross post from plakit thread
Progress! Gold marker came in yesterday and it works perfectly
LFxVzun.jpg

YBLLzA0.jpg

I'm less perfect but it's looking good despite how rough I am at painting.

I'll have to touch up the boosters after I cut them off but overall I did pretty decently. I have to decide if I'm doing painting on the core launcher fighter cockpit or using stickers. And if I'm painting the vents which will be a True challenge. I do have some gentle adhesive painters tape I picked up but I could use advice

Then comes the true challenge: panel lining! Or maybe that'll be easier after all this painting by comparison XD.

Also any top coat recommendations(in USA), I'm not sure whether matte or gloss, problem is the gold needs a gloss, but the rest would probably need matte. Plus what's the easiest method?

Also finally back to watching wing gundam. Boy the Ebion is a cool design, does it have a good kit? I'm definitely enjoying the show, but after dinner it's going on break while I start on Astral chain

I've got the EW Epyon and I like it a lot :)

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I was at Gundam base and even though there were plenty of cool exclusives like shiny MG Sazabi and MG Unicorn Perfectability I went with HR Astray Noir. Did I pick correctly?

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was at Gundam base and even though there were plenty of cool exclusives like shiny MG Sazabi and MG Unicorn Perfectability I went with HR Astray Noir. Did I pick correctly?

You passed up stuff you could only get there for something that's a mass retail release, is that right?

You do you. Gunpla is freedom.