• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Because I love SEED, I just had to go all in now that I know a little something something about gunplay. Will do after my AGE-II

EEN-NrzWsAAbC_L

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It arrived earlier today and just got done with it, I think it took me around 2 and a half-ish hours. It was a lot easier than I was anticipating but fun to make. The time flew by.

Jd4rZeP.jpg

The only thing I didn't do is put the stickers 'cus I'm waiting until the panel liner arrives, don't wanna accidentally ruin them.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I think I'll start building my mg Shadow Gundam tomorrow, shouldn't take too long as I'm just panel lining. Maybe I'll pull out the exacto knife for this one

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
US Gundam Store has this for $29.99 on Ebay with free shipping. On there website they have it for $25.99 ($23.40 with a coupon) but they charge $8.59 for shipping.

Does Ebay help with shipping or something? Weird.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The two other models that have really peaked my interest, that I'll probably get one of these days, is the RG RX-78-2 Gundam 1/144 and the RG Nu Gundam 1/144.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep telling myself to get the RG Nu but then I end up with something else.

Like, that HGUC Psycho Gundam is looking pretty good.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Started building the Sazabi today. Goddamn, Real Grades are a major set up from HGs. At least the Lupus HG, not sure if that's normally how HGs are or if that one is more simple. Hell, this Sazabi might just be extra complicated than other RGs. It's all new so I don't really know.

Anyway, this is what I got after three hours of pretty much nonstop building.

E3tBOQ8.jpg

I had some issues with the bottom of the feet since I put them where it told me to but they kept falling off. Made it hard to put a bunch of pieces cus it kept moving around but then I realized it's because I was supposed to push it in real hard, harder than I would've assumed. It popped right in at that point and all of that for the second foot went by much faster than it wasn't moving all over the place.

[edit]

Also, having a hobby knife and some of those tiny nippers would really come in handy but I'm cheap. Right now I'm using real tiny scissors that work well as nippers, though sometimes they can leave big nubs. For a hobby knife I'm just using some razor blades that I had laying around with duct tape at the top.

All of that stuff works completely fine but it does make everything go slower.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
At least the Lupus HG, not sure if that's normally how HGs are or if that one is more simple.
While I haven't built the Lupus HG, with it being relatively new, I very much doubt it can be considered simple. Many of the IBO HG even have an inner frame, something the vast majority of HG doesn't have.
If you ever want to know what a simple HG really is you could try the HG RGM-79 GM from 2001 which would give you a perspective of how gunpla has evolved without a significant investment neither in money nor time. Not that I'm recommending it to you right now at where you are in the hobby since the end result is somewhat underwhelming unless you are into unassuming grunts.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who has built a SG Sazabi, I'm stuck right now.

On those side panels that go on the legs, I'm supposed to snap them unto these things.

Tbi84qv.png

I'm able to move them up and down but no other way, as far as I can see.

So when I snap them, they look like this.

ZRmhMqT.png

Where I'm stuck is that I've no clue how the person in the video is then able rotate them to look like this.

wCTspCO.png

As far as my nooby eyes can see, it's not possible. It'll completely snap the plastic if I do that but there has to be a way. I thought maybe I had done something backwards but all the little nubs in that guy's model are positioned in the same location.

[edit]

6NwDuxIl.jpg

Even the manual just tells me to snap them there and then just rotate it but, like, how.

[edit2]

Holy shit, I finally got it.

Okay, so the idea that you can use the side leg pieces to hold down that little black handle, and then rotate it, is insane. I tried that and each time the side armor should just pop out. I had to hold down that piece with pincers and then slowly turn it to the right position and even then I had to use a shit ton of force to move them. If I had used the same force with the armor, I would've snapped the little bit of plastic.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the model.

BcBNRLo.png

This was a huge step up from the Lupus and was pretty damn daunting when I opened up the box and saw all the pieces. It ended up being way more fun and satisfying to build, though.

To the piece that I wrote in the above post, I'd be interested in knowing if other people had similar issues with that one. There's another piece in the same that uses the same exact mechanic but this time the piece was able to twist without applying all that much pressure. I really doubt that that one was made to twist easily and the other one was so hard that I had to use pincers and more so when the manual just said to twist it after snapping another piece to it. Very odd.

I also watched the Gundam Zeta films which I gotta say, were some of the most confusing pieces of media I've ever seen. They did a pretty poor job turning those 50 episodes into 3 films. Huge character motivations just happened in the span of seconds, sometimes off screen, and I was supposed to just expect that this character now wanted to do X or Y. It's obvious that in the show all of that got explained in detail but there was no time in the movies.

The whole thing felt like they made it with the expectation that you had already seen the full anime and this was just a fun extra.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
To the piece that I wrote in the above post, I'd be interested in knowing if other people had similar issues with that one. There's another piece in the same that uses the same exact mechanic but this time the piece was able to twist without applying all that much pressure. I really doubt that that one was made to twist easily and the other one was so hard that I had to use pincers and more so when the manual just said to twist it after snapping another piece to it. Very odd.
The most plausible explanation is that with the first part you didn't clean a nub as well as in the second making for a tighter fit. Or maybe one piece had some flash that needed cleaning but the molding in RG is almost always super sharp so that's unlikely.
I also watched the Gundam Zeta films which I gotta say, were some of the most confusing pieces of media I've ever seen. They did a pretty poor job turning those 50 episodes into 3 films. Huge character motivations just happened in the span of seconds, sometimes off screen, and I was supposed to just expect that this character now wanted to do X or Y. It's obvious that in the show all of that got explained in detail but there was no time in the movies.
The Zeta films are a terrible first contact with the story. The trilogy of the original MSG is an acceptable substitute of the series. The Zeta trilogy is not.
The whole thing felt like they made it with the expectation that you had already seen the full anime and this was just a fun extra.
It's exactly as you suspect.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
So the Perfect Grade Zeta I ordered just arrived. To be honest, Perfect Grade buyers must be really picky because the "damage" on this box is again minimal like what happened with the Strike Freedom. It's so small that it doesn't even merit posting pictures.
It probably still is a lottery but I have to assume people who buy PG complain more because I got my RG Qan[T] as a Package Damage kit and that's been the only one I've ever received with a significantly crushed box that made it unfit for a regular sale even if the contents were intact.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the model.

BcBNRLo.png

This was a huge step up from the Lupus and was pretty damn daunting when I opened up the box and saw all the pieces. It ended up being way more fun and satisfying to build, though.

I watched the full Zeta series for the first time last year, and TBH, there are a lot of underexplained character turns there, too. I feel like that's a Tomino trademark.

Oct 25, 2017
It arrived earlier today and just got done with it, I think it took me around 2 and a half-ish hours. It was a lot easier than I was anticipating but fun to make. The time flew by.

Jd4rZeP.jpg

The only thing I didn't do is put the stickers 'cus I'm waiting until the panel liner arrives, don't wanna accidentally ruin them.
I need to finish getting that manga, i have the same volumes in the photo. I hope they arent out of print.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
And it begins
FAQIRaq.jpg

Painted the vents and did the panel lining, plan to start after lunch, may just do the first page or two, I feel like pacing myself on this one. Also I love all the details in the master grade manuals!
lCBtBO9.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered the RG Nu Gundam since I was able to get a 30% discount on Barnes and Noble. It made it TOO cheap, though. Had to add some junk on there to bring it up to $35 to get free shipping.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B&N site says the store I usually go to has the RG Nu in stock.

Guess that's what I'm getting tomorrow. I'll save getting that HGUC Psycho for later.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Has the Gundam franchise basically entered a post-series age? I feel apart from Build Fighters, all we get are the occasional OVA for new content, with a ton of remasters and HD rereleases.

IBO was the last proper series, right, way back in 2015?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Has the Gundam franchise basically entered a post-series age? I feel apart from Build Fighters, all we get are the occasional OVA for new content, with a ton of remasters and HD rereleases.

I don't think so. Maybe your expectations of the current intervals between new alternate era series are too short. While it's unlikely we'll ever get a new UC full series and it will be limited to OVAs / movies, there's nothing that indicates we won't get an AE series in a couple of years at most while the Build series works as the bread and butter.
Compare 00 airing from 2007 to 2009 with assorted OVAs and movies being produced until the debut of AGE in 2011 to IBO airing from 2015 to 2017. If the intervals were similar, it is true that we would have gotten something in 2019 or 2020 but I don't think 2020 or 2021 can be completely ruled out yet.
What is probably the case is that Sunrise has realised that traditional audiovisual revenue has higher ROI in movies and OVAs while the gunpla side of the business can be kept temporarily healthy by the Build series. This, however, I believe is not a long term solution for gunpla because most Build series are heavily dependant on their references to previous "normal" series, doubly so for MS designs.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

They're making several films instead of shows ATM. Seems like a lull due to those happening.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I just realised Build Divers Re:Rise is an ONA instead of your typical series broadcasted on normal TV.
Do we know if the episodes will be normal length and how many episodes it will have? The original Divers felt a bit too stretched to me and I think that its story could have been told in just 12 episodes.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Obviously we need a new show set in the past of the Future Century universe following the early Gundam Fights and the war that started then

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I tried watching Gundam Unicorn back in 2014 and ended up really disliking it. Back then I thought all Gundam shows were anthologies, I didn't even know Universal Century timeline was even a thing. Now that I've read the manga, seen the Zeta movies and Char's Counterattack, I'm liking Unicron a shit ton more.

Seeing Mineva Zabi and Bright meant nothing before but now all of that is cool as fuck. Gonna finish that off today and then I'll see Narrative.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just realized it's time I went back and watched F-91, Victory, Wing Endless Waltz and After War Gundam X, and 08 MS Tram for one major reason before moving forward:
So I can finally watch Turn A and order some of the kits, I'm always looking for some really different MS designs to change things up for kits and turn a has em

Edit: out of curiousity, what is the best Turn A Gundam kit?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Just realized it's time I went back and watched F-91, Victory, Wing Endless Waltz and After War Gundam X, and 08 MS Tram for one major reason before moving forward:
So I can finally watch Turn A and order some of the kits, I'm always looking for some really different MS designs to change things up for kits and turn a has em

You can watch Turn A without watching most late UC Gundam. In fact, watching the first one, Zeta and ZZ is probably enough.
As for kits, there really isn't much there. A single HG (Turn A itself), two Master Grades (Turn A and Turn X), a few no grade(mostly 1/144 and one 1/100) that I'm not even sure are worth looking into.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

MG Turn A and Turn X are really good. Like xEik says, there are not a lot of them.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You can watch Turn A without watching most late UC Gundam. In fact, watching the first one, Zeta and ZZ is probably enough.
As for kits, there really isn't much there. A single HG (Turn A itself), two Master Grades (Turn A and Turn X), a few no grade(mostly 1/144 and one 1/100) that I'm not even sure are worth looking into.
I don't bother with no grades, I've got enough hgs I want and I don't feel like dealing with pre2000ish stuff(well unless it's something unique like a ship line)
MG Turn A and Turn X are really good. Like xEik says, there are not a lot of them.
Well good to know, I may just roll with those when I have a budget(and grab the hg turn a till I do)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Cross post

Ok here we MG Shadow Gundam finished! Was a fun pretty straightforward build despite its age(2002) then again it's lucky compared to 90% of G Gundam suits in having a modern kit at all. Thankfully it's simple design works pretty well.
Painted the vents and did panel lining, that's all

cJLtx8h.jpg

Also for fun the more modern hgfc Shining Gundam For size comparison
UFbPyLN.jpg

n5VMjfm.jpg

Also for fun, gen 1 core vs first spinoff(gen 9, 15 years difference) core design(by show I mean obviously) always fun to see how the core design is adapted to each shows twist
0wWePUd.jpg

And now my backlog is down to hgfc Burning Gundam(which I plan to paint like shining), and mg 00 Qan[T] full saber. Also yes I plan to take some picks with these two with Master Gundam and F-91.

Not sure when I'll order some more(or if I may get a chance to pop by Barnes & Nobles). I do know RG Tallgeese is on my must get list(I mean I'd like most of the main wing suits but that's the most common currently), wouldn't mind the hg Turn A either

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the poster who gave us to the tip on the B&N kids club, i just bought the RG Nu for 32 bucks! gonna pick it up later today down the street.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just discovered Apple Music has a ton of the super robot spirits albums and well here's what I've added to my main playlis(for now)
YGo8wp5.jpg

Not that I don't want to add more non gundam( or some more Gundam stuff too) , but plenty of the Gundam stuff is from shows I have watched yet. I can tell Zeta Toki wo Kote is one of the most popular Gundam ones from how many of these albums it pops on, heh. I'm open to more suggestions of stuff to pull from these albums, I love a good beat

These albums are related/connected to the super robot wars series right? Aren't one of those coming to the switch in English soon and might be an import option? Or is there a better choice?

Also this has got me wanting to try more Robo/Super robot anime, any suggestions? Outside of Gundam only major one I've watched is Shin Robo Getter if I remember right. Well and I tried some Mazinger Z but that was a touch too old school for me(which is saying something since I was fine with the original Gundam)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Narrative last night, I didn't really care for this one.

The stuff around Rita was pretty interesting but it wasn't enough to carry the whole film. Honestly, the whole story felt like this was envisioned more as an OVA than a movie, it felt like all the character arcs and story beats from a much larger piece of media were all squished into an hour and 30 minute long movie.

The main villain was also pretty yikes.

[edit]

Also, all the Newtype stuff felt like it might have gone a bit far in this one and Unicorn. I liked it when it was a bit more lowkey.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching The 08th MS Team, this is SO my shit. Goddamn.

I love when anime depicts mechs and machinery with this much detail. Everything is crazy detailed, super grimy and gorgeous. I love how they constantly show all the literal nuts and bolts that make them work.

K7ysRyv.gif

SO

FUCKING

BADASS