• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Oh man I want to go but it's two days before my sister's wedding and since we're traveling for it I don't know if I could sneak off or talk anyone into it

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Guess they still remember her most iconic scene.

item_000000000131_thgX5AHE_01.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I need a Gundam Girls Fa, Emma, Katejina and Rosamia and they better fucking put Fa in her cowgirl costume (holy fuck don't google image search that). It's the western styled outfit she was wearing when her an Kamille found brain fried Rosamia.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
OT but I wasn't expecting a RG Eva. I really liked the last batch of movie ones, this looks pretty good too:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I poked around in the demo last night. I've only ever played GGG before but Cross Rays looks a lot better. I'm trying to wrap my mind around what the development/upgrade trees are going to look like for AU shows though, UC makes sense that you would have these long intricate trees but I'm not sure how you get anywhere near that with say Wing for example.

I notice that the fancy OG soundtrack version has English now, that might entice me to buy. Be nice if that was a thing we could count on going forward (since Switch can't do custom soundtracks) but I'll be pessimistic and think it is probably just this particular case, not something we can expect for SRW.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just a heads up.

SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays has a demo up now for Switch and PS4 (on the japanese eshop and SEA PSN). It's fully translated into English already.

Been playing it and the localization is really good.

1573151086007.jpg

1573188743623.jpg
Sigh wish they'd officially release this at least digitally in the west for purchase convience(then again my physical copy of SRW t should keep me busy a while )

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh wish they'd officially release this at least digitally in the west for purchase convience(then again my physical copy of SRW t should keep me busy a while )

Same. I considered going digital like pretty much all my switch games but using the japanese Eshop points cards I'd be paying like $100 for the regular version.

So, I'm importing then.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I only found out about Gundam and started building gunpla during my early 30s. Historically, the only European country where Gundam had any presence was Italy (maybe even France a little bit but I'm not entirely sure) and none of the series has ever been broadcasted where I live. The Origin manga has had a local release, which I've bought, but as far as I know from an economic point of view it has been an unmitigated disaster.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I only found out about Gundam and started building gunpla during my early 30s. Historically, the only European country where Gundam had any presence was Italy (maybe even France a little bit but I'm not entirely sure) and none of the series has ever been broadcasted where I live. The Origin manga has had a local release, which I've bought, but as far as I know from an economic point of view it has been an unmitigated disaster.
We're always ahead where it counts.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't old.

40 is the new 20.
Nah, we old. Lol.

SEED is considered vintage for some kids and I remember the night the SEED website went live and we all found out what it was.

I remember buying HGUCs in Toys R Us and the level campaigns, getting badges for buying gun pla.

Buying the original weird ass movie trilogy dub.

Being mad that Toonami didn't play Just Communication.

Watching New Years Evil because Gundam got cancelled after 9/11

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
It happened to me and it will happen to you too.

Gundam fans who tape traded in the 80s and 90s and lamented how little effort HG and MG kits took called me a kid 20 years ago

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
35 here >_> <_<

My first exposure to anything gundam was a Sazabi pencil box I inexplicably found at a museum gift shop when I was ~7 (didn't know what it was at the time) and then nothing until I found my first gunpla about 5 years later.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm 38. First exposure to Gundam was in the mid 80s when my grandma came back from a trip to Japan with some random paper toys with specific red, white and blue robots on them. I also still have the Mospeada chopsticks she brought me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm 25, I randomly got a RX-78-02 with core fighter toy when I was maybe 12 ish but I only really got into Gundam about 2 years ago when the welcome to plastic kits thread popped up in etecera. I'd been looking for a cheaper but more involved replacement for LEGO and Gunpla fit the build. I also decided to start watching the shows and started from the beginning. I've now watched more than a few(still have a ways to go) and I've now done probably 40+ various Bandai kits

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
My age is in my last post, but if we're doing first exposure to Gundam, then it was Wing on Toonami.

Same here. My family didn't have a cable package that included Cartoon Network, so I just caught a few episodes here and there. Bought the DVDs when they came out, and started buying figures wherever I could find them. I built a no-grade Altron Gundam using nail clippers and was disappointed it didn't look like the picture on the box.

After high school, I went through a long period of being just incidentally interested. Only in the last 18 months did I decide to commit to the project of working through the franchise.

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I remember searching Toys R Us for 1/100 Wing kits(specifically Altron and Deathscythe Hell). I also remember sending money orders to HobbyLink Japan back when they were just a overseas scale model kit shop.

Oct 27, 2017
Once when searching for Barbatos forms (I've only seen the first season, a few eps of 2), I came across the fact that Barbatos is the name of a "Duke of Hell" and a "Bat God" in DC comics. That gave me the idea of kitbashing it with DeathScythe's wings.

Fast forward to last night and tonight, I've started realizing the idea (which research has shown has been done many times)... but I've incorporated a third element: Diabolos from Final Fantasy VIII!

Here are images of my "Barbatos Diabolos" so far (WIP):

20191113_215143v9j7x.jpg

20191114_203206a9j8a.jpg

20191114_203333usj8r.jpg

The tail and hands are from some build divers kit (Geara Ghirarga). I'm actually using this kit to be featured in a calendar being put together by my local Gunpla shop consisting of customers' kits. Needs lots of touch ups, purple added to the shins and adding the black detailing to the wings. Had to share early though.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Cool kit bash concept. As a huge Batman Dan I always have a brief second where I think of that little connection whenever I see Barbatos.

Oct 27, 2017
That is sick. Awesome work!
Thank you. I'm so damn excited about it but don't want to share it in my shop's discord or on Facebook and spoil my "entry" too early but just had to show the "so far" here. Making it based on Diablos came when trying figure out a color scheme. His head being a near perfect shape was an added bonus.

A note about the hands, they had an annoying, symmetrical double thumb that I clipped, rotated and glued to make it appear more like a pinky haha.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
So I watched SEED and Destiny about 2 or so months ago for the 2nd time...

Maybe I'm drunk but Destiny... wasn't that bad. Or I guess I should say, I noticed a lot more of the political and personal manipulation that was going on all over it which made it interesting. Shinn is still a terrible moron who drank the cool-aid, should have realized it was poison, and then drank it 6 more times, but the amount of manipulation that went on in it is interesting.

It still has all kinds of issues but it was an interesting rewatch.

I also re-watched 00, this time for the first time in English. It still remains one of the most watchable in the franchise imo but yeah... Season 2 is a mess still in a lot of regards. Might as well had Setsuna be alone for those 25 episodes because its not like anyone else did anything interesting lol.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
A note about the hands, they had an annoying, symmetrical double thumb that I clipped, rotated and glued to make it appear more like a pinky haha.
Most (all?) mobile suits of the Vagan (the antagonists from Gundam AGE that the Geara Ghirarga is based on) have this symmetrical hands with beam guns in their palms. It's part of their aesthetic where their shapes have more of an animal (lizard/dragon?) theme compared to the purely anthropomorphic suits of the protagonists.

Oct 8, 2019
So I watched SEED and Destiny about 2 or so months ago for the 2nd time...

Maybe I'm drunk but Destiny... wasn't that bad. Or I guess I should say, I noticed a lot more of the political and personal manipulation that was going on all over it which made it interesting. Shinn is still a terrible moron who drank the cool-aid, should have realized it was poison, and then drank it 6 more times, but the amount of manipulation that went on in it is interesting.

It still has all kinds of issues but it was an interesting rewatch.

I also re-watched 00, this time for the first time in English. It still remains one of the most watchable in the franchise imo but yeah... Season 2 is a mess still in a lot of regards. Might as well had Setsuna be alone for those 25 episodes because its not like anyone else did anything interesting lol.

Gilbert Durandal is one of the better Gundan villains because you understand his motivation, and you understand how his able to manipulate society to get what he wants because the American government was doing the same thing to the American people. Durandal wanted everyone to give up their freedom for safety, and manipulated people into accepting the Destiny Plan. It obviously has problems like the fake Lacus having enormous tits, so any idiot could tell who the real Lacus was, and the Mecha battles are some of the worst in anime history, and the Earth Alliance is never portrayed as an actual threat but I definitely enjoyed it more than most gundams.