• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
GotL yes, I like the changes to the tv anime and I prefer Katokis designs to Ookawaras but I Frozen Teardrop is so fucking stupid lol

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I would like them to totally change a lot, like let's get new designs other than just Wing Zeros and Epyons in various colors

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
So supposedly someone asked Tomino why he remade G Reco, and his response was "It wasn't very successful and I'm depressed about it, so I'm remaking it and you all better watch it."

Even if that's a joke, it pisses me off. You could have remade Gundam F91, for fuck's sake. You chose to remake a thing that almost NO ONE liked instead?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So supposedly someone asked Tomino why he remade G Reco, and his response was "It wasn't very successful and I'm depressed about it, so I'm remaking it and you all better watch it."

Even if that's a joke, it pisses me off. You could have remade Gundam F91, for fuck's sake. You chose to remake a thing that almost NO ONE liked instead?
He probably doesn't even remember what that is

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure Bandai would have greenlit that.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Early buzz is that this is already off to a better start. Idk man someone's creative people go with something they're more interested in working on.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Early buzz is that this is already off to a better start. Idk man someone's creative people go with something they're more interested in working on.

You should always go with what the creative is interested in working on. Having said that, that doesn't mean people will be interested in what the creative people are doing. I'd be down for:

A.) A New AU TV series
B.) A New UC TV series
C.) A New UC OVA
D.) An OVA continuation of an older series

I'm almost always least interested in an anime film. They take forever to come out over here and always feel too condensed.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I can't imagine working on F-91 was a pleasant experience after the series got canned and they just had to retro fit it into a movie.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Formula Wars need to be revisited at some point IMO, but we need to go earlier, into F90 and the Oldsmobile Army stuff.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved for a F91 remake series, maybe combined with Crossbone as a followup or something... but TBQH I don't really want it anymore without Koji Tsujitani.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My opinion on "What if F91 was the show they wanted to make" is just kind of "It would be just another Gundam, and still not very interesting."
F91 has a myriad of problems, but the biggest damning thing about it is that without awkward pacing, it's just too derivative of other Gundam works. It hardly has any real ambition or new take on the world of Gundam. Cosmo Babylonia is just "Purple Zeon".

For me, Victory Gundam kind of solidifies it, too. Victory at best is just sort of... Okay? Its before the era of AU Gundams and in 2019 the only purpose it servesin the grand scheme is "It's just another Gundam". It's not terribly interesting - The main cast feels derivative of ZZ and F91, the bad guys once again look like Zeon, there's some ugly MS and everything has tires.

I think the idea of pirates in UC Gundam is super appealing, but honestly I don't think I could handle a Crossbone adaptation if everyone in it looked like this

latest

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
My opinion on "What if F91 was the show they wanted to make" is just kind of "It would be just another Gundam, and still not very interesting."
F91 has a myriad of problems, but the biggest damning thing about it is that without awkward pacing, it's just too derivative of other Gundam works. It hardly has any real ambition or new take on the world of Gundam. Cosmo Babylonia is just "Purple Zeon".

For me, Victory Gundam kind of solidifies it, too. Victory at best is just sort of... Okay? Its before the era of AU Gundams and in 2019 the only purpose it servesin the grand scheme is "It's just another Gundam". It's not terribly interesting - The main cast feels derivative of ZZ and F91, the bad guys once again look like Zeon, there's some ugly MS and everything has tires.

I think the idea of pirates in UC Gundam is super appealing, but honestly I don't think I could handle a Crossbone adaptation if everyone in it looked like this

I'm not sure an AU series is going to be all that original either, so I'd take more of Crossbone/F91. Can't be worse than like...Zeta or 0083.

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Probably in the minority here, but I would like to see another Seed followup. I think Stargazer was a good look into what expanded stories in that universe look like. The sooner they can ditch or forget about Destiny, the better. It'll be interesting to see how designers manage to up the sheer beamspam of the late-Destiny suits.

In terms of a followup or new shows, I think we're long overdue another attempt to build a proper universe, instead of a one-shot one and done kinda deal like we've seen too many times. It feels like the series is stuck in a bit of a rut, IMO. Where can you take the themes of Gundam next, especially with so much ground covered already.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I feel there's unfinished business in the IBO universe and I want a more substantial follow up than a weird mobile thing.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with another visit to IBO if it isn't another pointless smorgasbord commercializing suffering, depression and despair without a message or a point.

Nagai is a hack.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
MSG: The Origin manga, Unicorn, 00's first season and IBO are all peak Gundam. Do not @ me as this is the correct take and the material people respond to the most and is easiest to in onboard people into Gundam fandom with.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
MSG: The Origin manga, Unicorn, 00's first season and IBO are all peak Gundam. Do not @ me as this is the correct take and the material people respond to the most and is easiest to in onboard people into Gundam fandom with.
Nah obviously G Gundam is Gundam at its GUndamiest, I mean look at how many Gundams the Gundam has Gundam

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017

I know a ton of people come into the franchise through Unicorn, but I honestly can't imagine watching that without at least a little grounding in UC first. I feel like it would turn me off entirely.

If we're talking about the Gundamiest Gundam, the most pure hit possible of everything about the franchise for better and worse, my vote is with Zeta. That doesn't mean it's necessarily the best.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I know a ton of people come into the franchise through Unicorn, but I honestly can't imagine watching that without at least a little grounding in UC first. I feel like it would turn me off entirely.

If we're talking about the Gundamiest Gundam, the most pure hit possible of everything about the franchise for better and worse, my vote is with Zeta. That doesn't mean it's necessarily the best.
This is the Toonami threads reaction. A lot of them hate Unicorn because they have never seen 0079, Zeta or ZZ. Granted some have seen those and still didn't like Unicorn.

Oct 25, 2017
Zeta contains both the best Gundam women...and one of the absolute worst. Emma's fucking bae, but Reccoa? She's horrible. I'm a Katejina stan, but even I wouldn't stoop low enough to defend Reccoa. I'm also probably that really odd person that really likes Kamille more than Judau.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Unicorn is pretty, has a good story that maybe isn't the most self contained thing but sells it's drama and history convincingly. That makes new viewers who aren't put off by that kind of thing want to see more of what the franchise has to offer. That's been the case for several people I know. It's an odd starting point, but the care and love put into it by every cast member (hell, even the dub is good) gets people sold. It has gravitas and messages in it people resonate with.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Unicorn is a bit like the Akira movie. Watch it as is without previous knowledge and a lot of stuff is not well explained or doesn't make much sense but it's OK because there's enough to chew on and the production is phenomenal.
Then go read the Akira manga (the equivalent would be watching at least MSG, Zeta, ZZ and CCA) and rewatch it again. A lot of things that were unnoticeable or didn't make sense are now easily identifiable and are perfectly sensible.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

The Origin manga may be my favorite MSG media. The story arc of the original series is so good, and it manages to do it justice while filling in back story... and somehow it works instead of being the typical prequel-nobody-wanted too much detail.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
The Origin manga may be my favorite MSG media. The story arc of the original series is so good, and it manages to do it justice while filling in back story... and somehow it works instead of being the typical prequel-nobody-wanted too much detail.
That's exactly how I describe The Origin, too! And also what makes me love The Origin so much. Even the OVA somehow managed not to be too much. Really hit the right balance.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly how I describe The Origin, too! And also what makes me love The Origin so much. Even the OVA somehow managed not to be too much. Really hit the right balance.

what I really like about it is how it fleshes out the Zeon backstory so that it's much more complicated than "space nazis" without overdoing it. That's always been in the subtext but it's more clear now, that the Zabi corrupted a populist independence movement into fascism.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Speaking of Zeta, I'm about to build the Master Grade Rick Dias in Quattro colours and I'm a bit conflicted regarding how to build it as canonically as possible.
I checked the first Zeta episode for reference, arguably the most memorable scene featuring Quattro in his Rick Dias, and it doesn't show the knee exhausts nor the slightly modified head-cover. Additionally, the thrusters in the rear skirt and side of the legs look like the square ones instead of the round vernier ones.
The problem is that all those listed seem to be the pieces included in the Quattro custom that weren't there for the regular Rick Dias MG in navy blue as piloted by Apolly and Roberto so I'm not sure anymore what would be considered "correct" as Quattro's machine. Maybe those pieces are for the mass-production red Rick Dias that later appears in Zeta?

Could any of the thread regulars who can read Japanese tell me what the small text in the "FORM SELECTION" section of this page of the manual says? I'm only able to read "Head cover" and "Quattro" from the katakana but the rest is not possible for me. I'm not even sure if the image is clear enough to identify some of the kanji. :(
/cries in gaijin or is it gaikokugo?

Last edited: