• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Speaking of Zeta, I'm about to build the Master Grade Rick Dias in Quattro colours and I'm a bit conflicted regarding how to build it as canonically as possible.
I checked the first Zeta episode for reference, arguably the most memorable scene featuring Quattro in his Rick Dias, and it doesn't show the knee exhausts nor the slightly modified head-cover. Additionally, the thrusters in the rear skirt and side of the legs look like the square ones instead of the round vernier ones.
The problem is that all those listed seem to be the pieces included in the Quattro custom that weren't there for the regular Rick Dias MG in navy blue as piloted by Apolly and Roberto so I'm not sure anymore what would be considered "correct" as Quattro's machine. Maybe those pieces are for the mass-production red Rick Dias that later appears in Zeta?

Could any of the thread regulars who can read Japanese tell me what the small text in the "FORM SELECTION" section of this page of the manual says? I'm only able to read "Head cover" and "Quattro" from the katakana but the rest is not possible for me. I'm not even sure if the image is clear enough to identify some of the kanji. :(
/cries in gaijin or is it gaikokugo?
It's something along these lines:
"Multiple choices (for) each part (of) head cover, rear armor, knee pad, thruster.
The possibility to make either version, Quattro's and the mass production."
Some of the kanji are indeed kind of hard to decipher, but I think I got the gist of it.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
It's something along these lines:
"Multiple choices (for) each part (of) head cover, rear armor, knee pad, thruster.
The possibility to make either version, Quattro's and the mass production."
Some of the kanji are indeed kind of hard to decipher, but I think I got the gist of it.
Thank you. Hmm, I'm still not entirely sure if the new parts are intended to represent the mass production version but from what you say I have to guess they do. After all, they match what is present on my HGUC Schuzrum Dias.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This Battle Operations game is kinda cool. I'd love to see a proper one with a higher budget.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

Previews for a "Project Special Movie" that will be available on the Gundam Channel YouTube in early 2020 featuring redesigns of the RX-78 and Char's Zaku II by industrial designer Ken Okuyama. This is probably the closest we'll get to a 0079 remake.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I have already said so in the plamo thread but Okuyama's RX-78-2 redesign might be the one I like the least of those I've seen in all these years.
A Zaku II with the shield on its left arm also feels kind of wrong. :P

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Have there been any impressions of the first G-Reco movie? I just saw the JP blu-ray was announced and am probably gonna pre-order it

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So I just noticed I can rent Gundam NT on Amazon. Is it worth watching? I've heard that it's underwhelming. What about Stardust Memory? I've always been curious about it but again I hear bad things.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
So I just noticed I can rent Gundam NT on Amazon. Is it worth watching? I've heard that it's underwhelming. What about Stardust Memory? I've always been curious about it but again I hear bad things.
NT is worth a watch if you wanna see them do some continuity shifting around before Hathaway's Flash. The story itself is very heavy on the Newtype stuff and explores the spiritual side of that. I enjoyed it, but I don't think it'll end up being a must watch for more causal fans. If you wanna see some cool movie budget Gundam stuff it has that going for it at least.

Stardust Memory is fun.

Oct 8, 2019

I have heard horrendous things about Gundam NT, and I hate Stardust Memory, mainly because I don't know who I am supposed to root for,
you have these Gihren Zabi loyalist who want to reignite the Zeon cause by dropping a colony on to Earth
, and then to oppose them you have Kou Uraki whose a total loser. The ending also does the Federation no favors so you end up with a story where the only likable character is the one character who gets totally screwed by the story.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
As has been said, very NewType heavy. I've found the production quality to be a step down from Unicorn. It still has a couple of very hype battles.
I hate Stardust Memory, mainly because I don't know who I am supposed to root fo
That's a reason to love it, not hate it. After 30 years of watching anime, stories with "good guys" and "bad guys" are more boring to me than stories where there are almost no "good guys" and the rest are on a scale that goes from "unlikable guy/girl I don't care much about" to "hang this asshole for causing a genocide". South Burning is still good in my books, so you can always find someone to attach to.

BTW: Charred Knight I would put inside spoilers what you comment about Stardust Memory because Astral is asking about watching it.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I have heard horrendous things about Gundam NT, and I hate Stardust Memory, mainly because I don't know who I am supposed to root for,
you have these Gihren Zabi loyalist who want to reignite the Zeon cause by dropping a colony on to Earth
, and then to oppose them you have Kou Uraki whose a total loser. The ending also does the Federation no favors so you end up with a story where the only likable character is the one character who gets totally screwed by the story.

So do you hate War in the Pocket too?

Oct 8, 2019
So do you hate War in the Pocket too?

War in the pockets is one of the greatest anime of all times.

The Cyclops team are never portrayed as
loyalist to Gihren Zabi let alone trying to drop a colony onto Earth
. The main villain in Gundam 0080 is literally called Killing. The Earth Federation while
using Side 6 to hide the building of a Gundam is breaking the treaty its hardly the villain Killing is for trying to use a nuke.

While Gundam 0083 has hardly any likable characters at all Gundam 0080 has a ton of likable character which is why
when every battle scene has one of the Cyclops member die you don't want to see any action scenes at all. You want Al to stop the final battle because you don't want anyone to die.

Gundam 0080 is easily the best Gundam when it comes to being able to get its anti-war message across because of that.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
War in the Pocket was so good. I liked it so much more than 08th MS Team which I think is kind of overrated. Its ending really soured my opinion of it. What a bad romance.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
08th MS Team used to be my favorite Gundam series but after rewatching it this series I discovered it unfortunately doesn't hold up very well, outside of a few still-great episodes. The main thing dragging it down isn't even the Shiro/Aina stuff (though it does hurt the story and is worse than I'd remembered), but Shiro himself is such an inconsistent and irritating lead.

0080 holds up perfectly though, and that last episode still hits as hard as the first time I saw it. When I rewatched that also this year, I'd completely forgotten that
the Zeon ship carrying nukes gets caught before it even makes it the colony, making Bernie's plan to save the colony by destroying the Gundam and then his death completely pointless.

Oct 8, 2019
War in the Pocket was so good. I liked it so much more than 08th MS Team which I think is kind of overrated. Its ending really soured my opinion of it. What a bad romance.

I really wish 08th MS Team had just been about gritty small time fighting and not done the whole
Zeon Super Weapon that threatens to destroy the Earth Federation thing.

08th MS Team used to be my favorite Gundam series but after rewatching it this series I discovered it unfortunately doesn't hold up very well, outside of a few still-great episodes. The main thing dragging it down isn't even the Shiro/Aina stuff (though it does hurt the story and is worse than I'd remembered), but Shiro himself is such an inconsistent and irritating lead.

0080 holds up perfectly though, and that last episode still hits as hard as the first time I saw it. When I rewatched that also this year, I'd completely forgotten that
the Zeon ship carrying nukes gets caught before it even makes it the colony, making Bernie's plan to save the colony by destroying the Gundam and then his death completely pointless.

One of the main points of Gundam 0080 is that
everything was ultimately pointless. The Gundam Alex which was created for Amuro Ray was never given to him meaning that basically all that accomplished was a bunch of research, the Earth Federation had already captured the nuke meaning that no one had to fight. Also the ova ends with an adult telling children that their duty is to make sure another war never happens again when the ova had been created after Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, and Char's counterattack. While Al's friend tells Al that don't worry another war is going to start soon, and don't worry its going to be so flashy and awesome

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017

Finish Unicorn then watching NT is the correct decision. NT can largely stand on its own but it is more enjoyable after. Do watch it and make your own opinion, though.

Also yeah, 0080 is still really good. 0083's story is a bit nonsensical and the characters are grating. Animation and fights are pretty darn great, and the MS designs look amazing. I think it's worth a watch to see how much a good story can elevate a Gundam series and how much a messy one pulls it down.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
...all that accomplished was a bunch of research...
While true, technically, it pioneered what might be the second most important advancement for MS tech in the Universal Century: the panoramic monitor cockpit. The first being, in my opinion, the psycomu/psycoframe. Not counting the Minovsky reactor because it's not an advancement but the basis itself of the feasibility of mobile suits.

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
I found NT to be a somewhat unpolished mess, but I was still able to get some enjoyment out of it anyway because of how absurd it could get. Still like the mechanical design.

0080 is very good. Just got through watching the BD last night, which looks fantastic. Truly brought out how impressive the animation is. The show does kinda hit you over the head with its themes, but I didn't mind that in the end. It's one of the few Gundam shows I can think of that doesn't have any characters I outright can't stand. Also, I still think the Alex is cool
though I always wonder what it would have been like if Amuro did actually get his hands on it

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
So, the HG Gundam G40 Industrial Design Ver.) is 3,000 yen plus tax...
LOL, this was not for me before but at that price it is not for me ever.
I know that this is pioneering some new tech and it's actually a redesegin of RX--78-2 so it's not exactly comparable but an HG that is more expensive than the RG? :-\

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So which Gundam series are available to watch online for free? The movie trilogy is on YouTube and Unicorn is on Crunchyroll. The first Thunderbolt movie is also on YouTube. I kinda feel like binging all of UC again before watching NT and Origins.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
So which Gundam series are available to watch online for free? The movie trilogy is on YouTube and Unicorn is on Crunchyroll. The first Thunderbolt movie is also on YouTube. I kinda feel like binging all of UC again before watching NT and Origins.
Unicorn OVAs are on Netflix. (the preferable watch if doing Unicorn, IMO)

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
You can check Gundam.info's channel on Youtube. They rotate their content so what is available there varies with time.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I enjoyed the G40 build. Crazy articulation.

Also the P-Bandai only Fin Funnels for the Metal Structure Nu Gundam going live for sale on Friday:

dtl_msks_ngundam_finfunnel_03.jpg

6x Funnels for 27,500 Yen... and if you want to do the double funnel (as seen above) you have to buy a second set making it a total of 55,000 Yen! This is on top of the 93,000 Yen for the Nu itself! For a total of 148,000 Yen if you get all... Am I crazy enough to do it...

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
6x Funnels for 27,500 Yen... and if you want to do the double funnel (as seen above) you have to buy a second set making it a total of 55,000 Yen! This is on top of the 93,000 Yen for the Nu itself! For a total of 148,000 Yen if you get all... Am I crazy enough to do it...

I was going to say how are you going to pre-order when it's sold out everywhere but then I remembered you benefactor ;p

Also, where's my HiRM God Gundam review?!

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random new IBO Gundam is getting a kit. Just going by google translate, it's a "phantom aircraft" that was lost during the Calamity War. I believe the Ars Goetia name is...Marchosias?

EDIT: Oh it's this thing.

msarchives04_01.jpg

msarchives04_02.png

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Are there any reviews? Does it actually make sense?

I still think Reconguista would have been a lot better if it had at least double the episode count. The whole plot's pacing just went at a breakneck speed once they got into space and so little of it made any sense.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Watching MSG The Origin right now, does it make timeline sense for there to be a gouf and dom on the moon before the OYW begins? Did the development timeline get retconned for fan service of the units or did I have it wrong in my head?

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Watching MSG The Origin right now, does it make timeline sense for there to be a gouf and dom on the moon before the OYW begins? Did the development timeline get retconned for fan service of the units or did I have it wrong in my head?
I don't remember them appearing in The Origin OVA. There are the Black Tri-Stars' Zaku Is and Ramba Ral's Blue MS-04 Bugu which have Dom/Gouf color schemes if that's what you mean. They did change the history of the Guntank and Guncannon to be predecessors to the Gundam instead of joint Project V developments.

Oct 8, 2019

I just checked and I assume you are confusing the Gouf with Rambal Dal's Bugu, and the Dom with the Zaku II High Mobility type

The Dom only list being seen in the Gundam the Origin manga (which covers the entire One Year War) and not the anime

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember them appearing in The Origin OVA. There are the Black Tri-Stars' Zaku Is and Ramba Ral's Blue MS-04 Bugu which have Dom/Gouf color schemes if that's what you mean. They did change the history of the Guntank and Guncannon to be predecessors to the Gundam instead of joint Project V developments.

I just checked and I assume you are confusing the Gouf with Rambal Dal's Bugu, and the Dom with the Zaku II High Mobility type

The Dom only list being seen in the Gundam the Origin manga (which covers the entire One Year War) and not the anime

Yep you're totally right, I saw the horn on the Bugu and thought it was a gouf, didn't realize it was an original suit. Confused the other protypes with the Dom too, thanks! That was actually really bothering me haha, glad I was wrong.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any reviews? Does it actually make sense?

I still think Reconguista would have been a lot better if it had at least double the episode count. The whole plot's pacing just went at a breakneck speed once they got into space and so little of it made any sense.

G-Reco pretty much planned as 50 episode until someone in sunrise say that Tomino is too old to directing 50 episode anime

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
This Episode Re:Rise is really good!
I didn't expect not only the team loss but also nuking the entire city then create world wide internet shutdown in real life.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oof, was not expecting actual feels in Re:Rise today. It's definitely one of the better Gundam series in awhile.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I went to watch episode 12 with half hope and half skepticism. I have to admit it's the best episode of a series that has failed to appeal to me. In my opinion, we should have reached this point by episode 3, not episode 12. The ham-fisted exposition of how it's just a game for Kazami (he keeps saying so endlessly) but the stakes are real for the NPCs living in the virtual world was delivered a few too many times and would have been better for the narrative if the events of episode 12 had arrived earlier.
The series is still lacking in compelling antagonists. Their motivations (be it silent silly helmet Seltsam pilot or laconic hologram baddy of mass destruction) have been unclear so far, making it hard to care about them.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re:Rise has been better than I expected it to be, and episode 12 hit pretty hard.

Plus the series gave us May, so there's that.