• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yoshikazu Yasuhiko Says Gundam: The Origin is His Last Anime
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...s-gundam-the-origin-is-his-last-anime/.130919

I guess if a 0079 remake does eventually happen, it'll happen without Yas. With NT, Hathaway's Flash, and UC2 happening over the next few years it seems like the main UC Sunrise studios will be too busy for that for the foreseeable future.

50th Anniversary remake confirmed then.

Another 10 years would still be too long, actually.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about Gundam. Where should I start?
Late to the party, but I will always recommend the original Mobile Suit Gundam 1979 TV series. The English Dub.

If you do go with the movies instead of the TV show though, avoid the movie dubs at all cost, no matter how attractive the prospect of Steve Blum being the main antagonist is. I love Mr. Blum, but he's simply outclassed in the TV dub, and anyone who isn't a minor villain in the movie dub is, in my eyes, strictly worse than the TV dub counterparts. If you're a Subs guy, you don't have to worry about it, but I always recommend the dub because 1. It's damn good for what it is, and 2. The audio quality, being recorded in the early 2000's, is naturally higher than the quality of the original versions. I find that great audio quality can counter-balance dated visuals for people that have an issue with the super limited animation at the time.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
So after two years and a half of not placing any big gunpla order and since SAL doesn't seem like it's going to be operational in any reasonable amount of time, I allowed myself one EMS order to splurge on some preowned MG and a RE/100 that had nice discounts from AmiAmi.
The RE/100 being the Nightingale I knew the shipping costs were going to hurt and hurt they did.
¥16,000 (€127) is the most I've ever paid for shipping, add the VAT and the fee for the privilege of paying VAT at a total of €49 and my walllet is already crying for a grand total of €176 for the costs that are not the kits themselves. ('-_-)

TLDR: Being a filthy euro is suffering for a gunpla fan.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It's finished~ Black Panther Inspired colors for Sinanju Stien

BwvdH9S.jpg

6gVk1sT.jpg

ihNE95m.jpg

Also friend gave me a late Birthday present today. Super happy!

nxHHTqU.jpg

BaW1Tjq.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
It's finished~ Black Panther Inspired colors for Sinanju Stien
Beautiful. I like the result of having two kinds of gold. Black and gold (or yellow) benefits from great contrast and is always a winning combination in my book.

If you have the yellow beam sabers from a Hyaku Shiki, Qubeley or The O, I think those would look better than the pink ones.

Last edited:

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
That Stein looks very cool, especially the purple parts. The beams compliment it, I think. Very cool LD shirt. I like the touch of including a commander horn in the logo.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging from several reviews, apparently the RG Tallgeese blows the MG out of the water.

Here's Mecha Gaikotsu's take:

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those that might have missed it, en.gundam.info has been running a free smartphone wallpaper campaign. To get one all you have to do is login to your account there to get it.

This month is Strike Freedom. The first two months were Unicorn and Exia, but you can't get them off the site any more. The last one will be available June 1 and will run through the month of June.

But I got you guys. Here's all three that have been released.

cp1_unicorn_1.jpg

cp2_exia.jpg

cp3_strikefreedom.jpg

More details here: https://en.gundam.info/news/hot-topics/news_hot-topics_20180226_012.html

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Say, I'm still after a suggestion for nippers, the chains didn't have any. Just a basic not overly expensive one, preferably on amazon(I'm USA)

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
A new build to post. HGUC MSA-005 Methuss
Having already built a ReZEL this MS design feels a lot clunkier.
The shininess of the shoulder cameras comes from having the sun on my back when doing the photos. It makes for a nice effect without any photoshopping involved.
Mobile Armor mode photos, later.

DcXRE9nWkAU6lUq.jpg

DcXRGMUXcAAAmtX.jpg

DcXRHTMXkAAOCAI.jpg

DcXRIYWWkAAgC7J.jpg

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the best place to ask about Gundam Models, or is there a Gunpla OT that im not seeing when searching?

If this is the best place to ask, why/how are the Gundam IBO 1/100 model kits so much cheaper than the others? They are like $30 compared to the $40-$60 prices for the other 1/100 kits. Not complaining, just wondering what is different about them that makes it cheaper than the rest. I know they all use the same frame which is neat, but I cant imagine that would bring the cost down that much.

How big are these IBO 1/100? Specifically the Barbatos Lupus Hobby Full.

Also, are there any other good model kits that arent Gundam? Looking for something to build with my cousin, just not sure what I want to get. Ive done a few kits from Kotobukiya that were pretty well done, but the only ones ive seen from them so far are too expensive.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Is this the best place to ask about Gundam Models, or is there a Gunpla OT that im not seeing when searching?

If this is the best place to ask, why/how are the Gundam IBO 1/100 model kits so much cheaper than the others? They are like $30 compared to the $40-$60 prices for the other 1/100 kits. Not complaining, just wondering what is different about them that makes it cheaper than the rest. I know they all use the same frame which is neat, but I cant imagine that would bring the cost down that much.

How big are these IBO 1/100? Specifically the Barbatos Lupus Hobby Full.

Also, are there any other good model kits that arent Gundam? Looking for something to build with my cousin, just not sure what I want to get. Ive done a few kits from Kotobukiya that were pretty well done, but the only ones ive seen from them so far are too expensive.

They are cheaper because they are kind of in-between HG and MG. Compared to 1/100 MG kits; they don't have all the gimmicks like moveable inner frames or cockpits and stuff. They also tend to use stickers for color applications instead of having actual colored part separation like most modern MG.

Although I have never built one myself, I want to say they are around 8-9 inches tall

You can also look at other kits that Bandai produces like One Piece ships, Star wars ships and figs, and vehicles from various other series.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
A new build to post. HGUC MSA-005 Methuss
Having already built a ReZEL this MS design feels a lot clunkier.
The shininess of the shoulder cameras comes from having the sun on my back when doing the photos. It makes for a nice effect without any photoshopping involved.
Mobile Armor mode photos, later.

DcXRE9nWkAU6lUq.jpg

DcXRGMUXcAAAmtX.jpg

DcXRHTMXkAAOCAI.jpg

DcXRIYWWkAAgC7J.jpg

I never liked the Methuss. It looks like an ice cream cone.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The Kotobukiya kits are OK but for me the engineering is a step below gunpla (I've only built an Armored Core and a Muv Luv kit).
The IBO 1/100 kits are less expensive than MG thanks to several factors (most already mentioned by SGJin):
  • Unified inner frame keeps costs down
  • The inner frame is generally less complex than most MG (older MG may have simple inner frames or even lack them but those are also quite cheap)
  • Less color separation done in plastic, sometimes relying on stickers, sometimes not even providing stickers and having incorrect color.
  • No cockpits or pilots, although this is somewhat minor
  • Almost no markings, none of them are transparent stickers or dry-transfers
  • Less complex armor pieces with bigger parts compared to more, smaller, more detailed, sometimes movable armor in MG

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. Was curious how they were able to keep the costs down on them, i mean when I was building these kits I would have loved to been able to get a 1/100 for $30 lol.

The last kit I built was the Metal Gear Rex from Koto. It was an awesome build imo, but 2 of the more delicate pieces did break which was a bummer. Really want to get the Sahelanthropus, but its way too much lol.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
With your username what you should be getting is this.
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-2271-R
48% is a very nice discount if you don't mind buying preowned.
The two preowned kits I've bought from them that had the ITEM:A-/BOX:B classification were completely fine.

Thats pretty sweet!
Wish I had gotten the Anubis kit when they were available. Actually had no idea they were even a thing until recently lol. Ive got all the Revoltech ones though atleast.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I have the kits for Jehuty, Vic Viper and Dolores that were bought whenever I found them discounted.
I cannot comment on them, though, since they are still in the backlog.
The problem with Anubis is that it's quite pricey so I doubt that I'll ever get it with my limited interest.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Was the Methuss one of the suits designed by Nagano? It certainly gives off that l gaim/FSS flair.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Barnes and nobles carries a surprisingly nice little selection of Bandai sets(Gundam mainly, a little Star Wars and dragonball, oh and a megazord) but's no Gundam villains sadly :(

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up 1/100 Grimgerde, 1/144 Transient Gundam, and a RG Wing Gundam EW ver. during Bluefin's Spring Cleaning Warehouse Sale. Boxes were damaged, so there was a discount plus an additional 40% off.

I saw a lot more people getting a lot more stuff (like multiple boxes full) but they probably lined up super early and had the money to spend unlike my poor ass.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
That backpack on the RG Tallgeese looks amazing the way it splays open. It makes me want to start on my one RG, 00 Raiser. I need to practice cleaning my nubs more before that though. Are RGs gated pretty well?

Yesterday, I was testing washing panel lines and let my young kid try on a Go-Bot. He was so focused a long string of drool came streaming out.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
That backpack on the RG Tallgeese looks amazing the way it splays open. It makes me want to start on my one RG, 00 Raiser. I need to practice cleaning my nubs more before that though. Are RGs gated pretty well?

Yesterday, I was testing washing panel lines and let my young kid try on a Go-Bot. He was so focused a long string of drool came streaming out.

00 RGs

Exia RG

*cue PTSD*

duckroll hold me

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Takuma revealed his Age 2 Magnum Flarelight

I think it looks great. Customs with added detail nubs all over are hit or miss to me, but the business of the suit's angles blend it together.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the time to sit down and watch Origin VI. So goddamn good, and it ending with who will survive after the credits had me squeal. Fuuuuuuuuuuck I really dont want them to stop. Make VII - XII plz

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
ptpaZgK.jpg

My Atlas Gundam singing opera. Finally got the picture after a busy ass week. I really wish there was an RG Jesta or Jesta Cannon. Any good RG recommendations for build quality?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Nice, Atlas has what may be the weirdest joints for any Gundam ever.
RG are supposedly all good builds but some are more fragile than others. Zeta being probably the most fragile. I'm told that Mk-II and GP01 are really solid.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Wish I was one of the first people in line. Those people probably got first dibs on all the best stuff. LOL

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Got back from Tokyo again, man I wish things were more stable at the moment for me. Wanted to buy so many gunpla at the Gundam Base. Particularly had my eye on the PG Red Astray, never followed the Astray series but man that display made me want it instantly.

Gonna start my MG Altron this week maybe, still have not decided how I want to make this guy. Straight build seems likely since I like the color and design already. Still got HG GM/GM and Build Burning from my new years blind box that I don't really want lol. Might use these for using my left over paint that I have no plans for.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The day the Hulu deal is over and Gundam gets licensed out to Netflix or even Prime video is the day I can truly say that there's never been a better time to be a Gundam fan. Hulu is such trash, it's astonishing.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The day the Hulu deal is over and Gundam gets licensed out to Netflix or even Prime video is the day I can truly say that there's never been a better time to be a Gundam fan. Hulu is such trash, it's astonishing.

What? I don't even think of Netflix as an anime thing like that. Crunchyroll, Hulu, and then I guess Netflix but it's distant third. And Amazon is where anime goes to freaking die.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? I don't even think of Netflix as an anime thing like that. Crunchyroll, Hulu, and then I guess Netflix but it's distant third. And Amazon is where anime goes to freaking die.
Netflix specializes as much in Anime as Hulu does, which is to say its prevalent, but not a primary pillar.

Hulu's video player, UI and subscription model are all pretty atrocious, and the choice of Gundam content is strange to me.

I also dont know a single person in real lifr that actively uses Hulu, compared to Netflix especially. Must be a really good fucking deal for Sunrise to not go with Netflix on this one in an effort to push it more in the west. IIRC, Netflix Japan has a shitload of Gundam. Netflix is pretty much a given for most households, and Prime Video, well, comes with Prime. These seem like way more attractive venues to dump your backlog of historic anime onto to me.