• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
From reddit.

"I didn't expect the kind of support that my game received, but it makes me happy I was able to entertain so many people," he said. "There are some brilliant games on the front page, and it's an honor to be chosen to be among them."
"I was approached by a European game development company who asked me to join their team," he said. "I'm excited for the future and where this may take me!"

And this is what he made:

www.escapistmagazine.com

Dreams Is Already Fostering the Next Generation of Game Developers

Dreams from Media Molecule is an incredibly powerful game design tool that's easy to use, and it's already raising a new generation of game designers.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
How the hell are people able to create custom content so fast? That's just crazy to me. Kudos to the dev and MM!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That game looks like a really janky version of Resogun so not understanding the love tbh. Not played it first hand though.

Pleased for the developer though landing a job, looks like Dreams could become a nice recruitment tool.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to talk down the achievement but I already saw more impressive stuff in Dreams, so it seems weird to me that this one of all creators on there got a job offer. Also, how did this european game developer even get the contact of the user?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RG0BS1U.gif

Judging from what I'm seeing from player creations I don't think he'll be the last.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand how people have the patience to learn all the different modules of the game, but I guess that just makes their efforts all the more remarkable

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they hired him unless he knows actual programming.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
JimmyJules has made a ton of great Dreams logic tutorial videos and I'm pretty sure he was hired by a developer making something similar to Dreams for PC. as good as Blade Gunner is, I don't think that alone is what got him hired.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, they said it even though MM hired multiple LBP creators.

Not everyone on the side of allowing compensation in Dreams wants to be a full-time game dev. Some would just like a little extra pocket cash or help pay some bills for the hundreds of hours these people are putting into their creations. Someone made a brilliant observation that Dreams is like the old shareware scene of the 1980s and in terms of compensation some similar kind of economic structure makes sense.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's a cool story and all but video in the OP looks like he straight up sharked Resogun with "Blade Gunner".

Still cool, though.

Oct 27, 2017
That's really cool, congrats!

Dreams really makes you appreciate how much work and iteration goes into making a gameplay experience as smooth and effective as possible. Not to mention all the creativity in the art, animation, and music areas - even if you're just "recreating" something in an effort to see if a) it can be done, and b) to learn the tools.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If you don't think the game is impressive at a glance, try to remember that you can open up everything in the level and see the work done behind it. I would imagine his game logic is clever and clean if they were so impressed.

When it comes to dreams everyone is so concerned about how hard it is to make a game. Then this happens and now it's so easy.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok and? Unless you're complete garbage at interviews, you should be able to spin your Dreams experience into something relevant
???? At best you could spin having used Dreams into design and composition experience with a sequencer. It's not really at all the same as knowing real programming language concepts or how modeling tools work or how to mock up 2D designs in Photoshop or how to write design docs, etc.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
? As if everyone who makes a decent game is gonna get a job offer....

The point of Dreams is different for everyone. I'm all for MM figuring out a compensation layer for creators but I have to say the pleasure of making your own dream and figuring things out using the tools given is pretty high, for me at least. Saying the only reason people should be making content is to get money is pretty sad to me.

???? At best you could spin having used Dreams into design and composition experience with a sequencer. It's not really at all the same as knowing real programming language concepts or how modeling tools work or how to mock up 2D designs in Photoshop or how to write design docs, etc.

This sort of incessant pessimism around the game is such a bummer. There are nine year olds making games in the engine, giving people the ability to make games, even small experiences, more open to everyone is a good thing.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

Then how did he make a game if all he could do was use a sequencer?

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point of Dreams is different for everyone. I'm all for MM figuring out a compensation layer for creators but I have to say the pleasure of making your own dream and figuring things out using the tools given is pretty high, for me at least. Saying the only reason people should be making content is to get money is pretty sad to me.

This sort of incessant pessimism around the game is such a bummer. There are nine year olds making games in the engine, giving people the ability to make games, even small experiences, more open to everyone is a good thing.
Are these 9 year olds trying to break into the game industry? All I'm saying is for the time investment Dreams requires, if you have access to a computer you're better off downloading Unreal Engine 4 or Unity or Game Maker or something if you want to make games, where you'll learn a lot more direct 1:1 experience with tools that can be used to make games that aren't accessible only to people who own both a PS4 and Dreams. Obviously Dreams has its uses, but to make anything *actually good and worth playing* requires just as much effort as it does to make a game outside of its walled garden, so you might as well just go all the way with it.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
this will likely happen many more times once we start seeing even crazier shit over the next couple months

Are these 9 year olds trying to break into the game industry? All I'm saying is for the time investment Dreams requires, if you have access to a computer you're better off downloading Unreal Engine 4 or Unity or Game Maker or something if you want to make games, where you'll learn a lot more direct 1:1 experience with tools that can be used to make games that aren't accessible only to people who own both a PS4 and Dreams. Obviously Dreams has its uses, but to make anything *actually good and worth playing* requires just as much effort as it does to make a game outside of its walled garden, so you might as well just go all the way with it.

even if I don't necessarily think you're wrong, i don't think that's the right way to look at this. different things motivate different people. Dreams may be far, far more appealing to someone than trying to unravel unity and unreal. It's certainly far more approachable, and rather fun. The other programs are very intimidating. If it gets someone creating and putting in time and effort to create something they're excited about that other people can play, enjoy, and be inspired by, then more power to it. Just because there are "better" and more professional tools out there doesn't invalidate the existence of this one. Different purposes, people, experiences, and markets. Hell, maybe they just don't want to use their PC.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to talk down the achievement but I already saw more impressive stuff in Dreams, so it seems weird to me that this one of all creators on there got a job offer. Also, how did this european game developer even get the contact of the user?

your handle is kept on your 'dream' and if you share that handle elsewhere it wouldn't be hard to contact someone

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Again you're missing my point. You are assuming the only reason people are making dreams is to get into the industry. This is simply not true.