• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 9, 2018
There's that, but there's also that it's a walled garden. The only way to put out what you made in Dreams is within Dreams itself. You can't even export the models and music you make in it.
I remember MM mentioning exporting assets before but no mention of when it will be available, just that it was a thing that they wanted. Even then, anyone who was interested in Dreams knows about that so if you ever had any intention of monetizing your creations then you know that Dreams is not the right tool for you.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I remember MM mentioning exporting assets before but no mention of when it will be available, just that it was a thing that they wanted. Even then, anyone who was interested in Dreams knows about that so if you ever had any intention of monetizing your creations then you know that Dreams is not the right tool for you.

In the end people need to remember that Media Molecule is a tiny studio. There is nothing they want to see more than dreams outside of Dreams. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing for them to work on right now.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People knowing that it's a walled garden doesn't mean that it being one isn't a problem.
In the end people need to remember that Media Molecule is a tiny studio. There is nothing they want to see more than dreams outside of Dreams. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing for them to work on right now.
A tiny studio that's part of one of the biggest game companies out there.

Aug 9, 2018
Oh for sure, I'm not saying that they prioritize it, I'm just saying that though they have mentioned wanting it to be a feature, they never said when it will be implemented or if it will eventually be implemented at all.

So anyone who wanted to do that (export and/or monetize their creations) knew that Dreams was not the right tool for them. That's why I don't get the criticism about it being a walled garden because people knew already that it was one when they bought it.
People knowing that it's a walled garden doesn't mean that it being one isn't a problem.
What? Knowing it's a walled garden and still choosing to be in that walled garden would be your choice. It's not like you are forced into that walled garden.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
A new Dead Space Dreams is nice.

Isaac looks good, Necromorphs also looking deadly.

EA should hire this creator and put him into Visceral team.

😔

Last edited:

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
For the people that just wanna make experiences and small, quick games, this is great! but for the people that wanna do something substantial and get absolutely nothing out of it, this is basically just doing work for exposure.

People ACTIVELY mocking others that just want paid for their work is disgusting, and thats my problem.
It's quite baffling how you're even comparing Dreams to working for exposure. You are not being hired to do work and then getting paid in exposure. People making stuff in Dreams are either doing it for fun or to strengthen their skillset. Maybe you should learn this difference before coming at people like a toxic shithead. There's also literally nothing stopping someone from putting a Paypal or Patreon link at the start/end of their dreams either.

The vast majority of skills needed to make a game are tool agnostic anyway. So you can easily take what you've done here and apply it to other projects in other engines. This is why it's fucking laughable when people say it's a waste of time to make stuff in Dreams because you're not being paid for it. At the very least, you'll be showing future employers that you are capable of learning arbitrary tool sets (and there are a lot of in house tools out there) and showcase a drive to learn new things.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Why is it a problem if everyone is aware going in...?

Nah, that ain''t how it works. This isn't little big planet or mario maker, which are essentially just levels, they've both marketed and talked about this making actual games, with full ass effort. Full games deserve compensation for the amount of work needed to make a game.

People don't always make things with compensation or exposure in mind. Dreams isn't the right platform if either of those things are the user's primary goals.

Some people simply like making stuff. They don't care how long it takes or the effort required.

Not everything has to involve remuneration. If creating is your primary source of income, then yes, you will expect it. I get it. This isn't the same thing. As it stands now, Dream creating is a hobby. The 'compensation' - if you have to even call it that - is the enjoyment of making and finishing something; of other people playing their creations.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
People saying it's not the same as Mario Maker it's just levels LOL. Fuck off. Have some respect. It's absolutely the same. Who do you think is responsible for all the fun in exploring anything? It's skillful level designers that absolutely DESERVE compensation for their work as well. That people are trying to belittle that just to further their argument about why people can't enjoy dreams is pathetic.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People saying it's not the same as Mario Maker it's just levels LOL. Fuck off. Have some respect. It's absolutely the same. Who do you think is responsible for all the fun in exploring anything? It's skillful level designers that absolutely DESERVE compensation for their work as well. That people are trying to belittle that just to further their argument about why people can't enjoy dreams is pathetic.
You could just @ me next time.

I can't speak for others, but I'm not trying to undermine level designers. Just the argument for selling Mario Maker levels is a bit harder to make because while everything in a Dreams game can be user-made, Mario Maker levels would always include work from Nintendo. It's not a full on game development tool like Dreams is, it's only possible to make things within the framework Nintendo provided. (I'd be for it if Nintendo would allow users to sell levels though)

Also, there's a difference between criticizing and condemning. Nobody here is saying that you can't enjoy Dreams.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I can't speak for others, but I'm not trying to undermine level designers. Just the argument for selling Mario Maker levels is a bit harder to make because while everything in a Dreams game can be user-made, Mario Maker levels would always include work from Nintendo. It's not a full on game development tool like Dreams is, it's only possible to make things within the framework Nintendo provided. (I'd be for it if Nintendo would allow users to sell levels though)

Also, there's a difference between criticizing and condemning. Nobody here is saying that you can't enjoy Dreams.

And in Dreams selling becomes complicated when dreams start having assets from a ton of other creators. Are those creators also compensated? What if they don't allow their model/system/music to be used commercially?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing games is just doing unpaid work.
After all, game testers are paid.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

It wasn't actually your post that's why I didn't @ at you. You didn't say "it's essentially just levels". Considering what it was used for and me knowing how hard it is to make compelling content I found that quite offensive. Hence the hard callout.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
How about Microsoft Game Studios get the person whoever made this?

Maybe he/she could convince Matt Booty and/or Rare to make a new one.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And in Dreams selling becomes complicated when dreams start having assets from a ton of other creators. Are those creators also compensated? What if they don't allow their model/system/music to be used commercially?
They could make it so the asset creators could set permissions for that. And yeah, they'd deserve to be compensated if they'd want to. Unity and Unreal Engine actually have their own stores where developers can sell models, sound effects, tools etc. for other developers to use in their projects.

Not that all of this wouldn't be complicated to figure out, but it's not like Dreams would be the first game development tool to deal with this stuff.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
That's JimmyJules. Not just any dreamer but the guy who makes the best Dreams tutorials on YouTube. I think he was also heavily into LBP community before. Happy for him!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i guess most indie souls devs should just quit if they can't make a game better dark souls or bloodborne.

why would anyone want to make a metroidvania game when Symphony of the night already exists in 1998? /S
thats not the point. this game here looks like a Resogun ripoff in a lot of ways. and all the stuff i´ve seen coming out of Dreams are games that are either imitated or already on the market(often in a better version).

where is the creativity in that? and no, i don´t want to see english breakfast dishes. yeah, Dreams is cool you can create a lot of stuff but why do people create stuff that already exists much more polished? i would argue a game like Salt and Sanctuary has a lot more own spins that just being an indie Dark Souls.

surely the guy wasn´t hired for just this game

Oct 26, 2017
thats not the point. this game here looks like a Resogun ripoff in a lot of ways. and all the stuff i´ve seen coming out of Dreams are games that are either imitated or already on the market(often in a better version).

where is the creativity in that? and no, i don´t want to see english breakfast dishes. yeah, Dreams is cool you can create a lot of stuff but why do people create stuff that already exists much more polished? i would argue a game like Salt and Sanctuary has a lot more own spins that just being an indie Dark Souls.

surely the guy wasn´t hired for just this game

Because it's easier to copy an existing concept and more likely that random people will look for Crash or Sonic than, let's say, Feufollet or Super Great Job Human. But again, copying existing concepts was how the 8/16 bit home computer era eventually produced some of the best game developers.

And the guy was probably hired for his teaching skills.