• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
His work in Dreams definitely not wasted.

Getting a job definitely better than still being unemployed.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Yeah as it's been said it's not always about looking for a job or anything.
Speaking for myself, the goal is to show i can create games with a unique universe etc.. So it can help me finding help to do more of them.
Just being able to say i created some games, and characters and music and a story that people could experience is a huge achievement for me.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Some overly defensive programmers ITT, making a game is way more than programming, that's the easy part. It's about shipping a product and that's hard af.

Oct 25, 2017
Are these 9 year olds trying to break into the game industry? All I'm saying is for the time investment Dreams requires, if you have access to a computer you're better off downloading Unreal Engine 4 or Unity or Game Maker or something if you want to make games, where you'll learn a lot more direct 1:1 experience with tools that can be used to make games that aren't accessible only to people who own both a PS4 and Dreams. Obviously Dreams has its uses, but to make anything *actually good and worth playing* requires just as much effort as it does to make a game outside of its walled garden, so you might as well just go all the way with it.
What is with this thinking?

I would love to sink hours into this game if I had the time, just to simply create and experiment. But I don't have the slightest intention of joining the videogame industry. Some people just want to create shit.

In addition, how do you know that Dreams won't act as a gateway to game design and programming for a lot of young minds? Maybe this tool isn't directly applicable to real world development environments, but it may spark an interest in the minds of many people to look into the field and legitimately study it. Before I got into animation, I poured hours and hours into Nickelodeon 3D Movie Maker on my shitty Compaq PC. Basic, archaic and limited yes, but for me it filled a craving of filmmaking I didn't know I had when I was 8/9, and pushed me to look more into storytelling and eventually study animation before joining the industry itself.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know why they hired him unless he knows actual programming.
There are way more jobs than simply programming. Maybe they liked his modeling or his level design. The latter requires a bit of programming knowledge but can likely be learned on the job.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
indreams.me

Jimmyjules153

I work in the tech industry and love programming, now surfing and creating the dreamiverse with my artistic bff and partner in crime. I also do some logic tutorials: YT - JimmyJules153
Looks like they work in the tech industry and can program to some degree so good for them. I see Dreams as a quick and dirty way to prototype game ideas without spending loads of time with game engines and assets (if you want to get into game dev).

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must be missing something. This is the post I saw you reply to:

Which is sarcastically saying the same thing I'm saying.
That reads to me as "This person got a job because of Dreams so anyone can!" That's what I was replying to and disagreeing with. You spun it out into a whole different argument. I don't really agree with your interpretation at all, but c'est la vie.

Edit: furthermore someone above pointed out that the person works in the tech industry which is probably a much bigger reason. Not saying Dreams had nothing to do with.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That game looks like a really janky version of Resogun so not understanding the love tbh. Not played it first hand though.
It kinda just is a more jank version of Resogun, running at ~30FPS. I'm not sure why you would offer someone a job just on the basis of Blade Gunner, given that creating a carbon copy of someone else's game isn't exactly a showcase for design talent. I presume his resume is more substantial than just his Dreams projects though.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people are suggesting no one could get a game dev job without knowing how to program; many game development jobs don't require programming knowledge

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
???? At best you could spin having used Dreams into design and composition experience with a sequencer. It's not really at all the same as knowing real programming language concepts or how modeling tools work or how to mock up 2D designs in Photoshop or how to write design docs, etc.

yes...this is not 'modeling work'.......just 'sequencing'.....yes...

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
All I'm saying is for the time investment Dreams requires, if you have access to a computer you're better off downloading Unreal Engine 4 or Unity or Game Maker or something if you want to make games, where you'll learn a lot more direct 1:1 experience with tools that can be used to make games that aren't accessible only to people who own both a PS4 and Dreams. Obviously Dreams has its uses, but to make anything *actually good and worth playing* requires just as much effort as it does to make a game outside of its walled garden, so you might as well just go all the way with it.
As someone who's put in loads of hours learning Unity and Gamemaker before discovering Dreams, I strongly disagree with pretty much everything you've said here.

If your motive is profit, then sure, maybe do a course or something and learn the professional-tier pc tools from the get-go. I'm not after a a career-change though - I make Dreams games in my spare time because it's a creative outlet that's fun!

If you are starting from zero and want to release a game that a decent number of people will play, it is simply far far easier to do so using Dreams compared to learning Blender/Unity/C#/Java and releasing on itch.io or something. They aren't even in the same ballpark.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Feel like we need to keep a running count of people we know got a job in the industry from something they did in dreams. I heard about one before this in a different thread I believe. Does anyone have better information about job offers to people from their work in dreams?

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't expect to see some negativity in here, but I should have known better.

Congrats to him.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People seething with jealousy in this thread. The game he made is amazing and the amount of work it took to achieve is no joke.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
professional designers are used to developing skills with custom tools that are largely untransferable to work at other studios

huh, weird flash of guilt there

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
sure he did a similar game as resogun but starting from scratch and doing the logic thats nothing to write off. and then graphics.

I don't think anyone is writing off, but maybe trying to conclude where this fits into game development. It illustrates a firm grasp of logic, but not programming, or art, or design (almost all elements inspired or based on Resogun).

I think people are more asking "why" rather than trying to downplay the efforts of the creator.

MrCow

Oct 30, 2017
To all the people here saying it's just a resogun clone: this isn't Jimmy's only game creation. And most importantly he is also making tutorials for dreams since the beta and has been one of the most helpful persons in the community because he can explain complex topics in a easy to follow way. and let's not forget that all these tutorial videos from him are done on a topic he was also just learning at the same time.

what i am saying is: the dude has far more skill then simply "cloning" an existing game idea

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
wHy WoUlD YoU WaStE TiMe WiThOuT CoMpEnSaTiOn
For the same reason concept artists still do studies from time to time...learning. Learning to improve or learning something new is never wasted time. In this case, learning how to program and work logic for games, level design, prototyping and so on... got this person a job in the industry. If you are passionate about something, money should be the last thing you think about... especially if you are to do that job until you retire.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
???? At best you could spin having used Dreams into design and composition experience with a sequencer. It's not really at all the same as knowing real programming language concepts or how modeling tools work or how to mock up 2D designs in Photoshop or how to write design docs, etc.
You must really not know anything about dreams to say half of this lmao. You're gonna have to break it down how most programming concepts don't apply to dreams. Also, learning other tools like GML, Unity, etc won't teach you how to do design docs either

I mean, that's still a valid criticism tbh.
Not really, why do any hobby? Capitalism got some of yall fucked up.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This Is the most exciting aspect of dreams imo, to grow a new generation of developers through the more accessible tools of dreams.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Designer here. We don't actually program. We use tools very similar to what Dreams has. Visual scripting, Maya, etc.

I would definitely interview someone who showed high competence in Dreams for a designer position.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
and there is the problem with Dreams, seems like most of it is stuff that already exists but in a badder version...this time it is a badder Resogun

nice for him to get a job offering but that won´t be the norm at all

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
This is great news for them, not to surprised by some of the comments on here. I am going to pick this up to just play some of the cool stuff I'm seeing

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Some of the responses here are embarrassing.

Anyway, good on that fella, nice to see that Dreams is making such awesome things possible, both for nurturing talent and enabling some career opportunities.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I don't understand how people have the patience to learn all the different modules of the game, but I guess that just makes their efforts all the more remarkable
Making stuff is fun! I make games for a job but always enjoyed tinkering with game making tools. I still do. The hours I spent making maps in Amiga Worms and 3D Construction Kit all contributed to my skills today. I'm happy to see that people can get such visibility with their work now.

Mods and maps and custom content for games has always been a major component in games recruitment.

I just wish that Sony would open up a Dreams Arcade Plattform, so the games can be played and bought by non-Dreams owners.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Good for him.. I did try it out when I bought dreams but wasn't a fan, mainly because it's a janky resogun which I also own.

Still very impressive and doubt I'd be able to create anything as good.

Some of the comments in this thread though lol.

People do things for fun, to learn, just cause. It's an artistic and expressive outlet. And sometimes something like this can happen.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Making stuff is fun! I make games for a job but always enjoyed tinkering with game making tools. I still do. The hours I spent making maps in Amiga Worms and 3D Construction Kit all contributed to my skills today. I'm happy to see that people can get such visibility with their work now.

Mods and maps and custom content for games has always been a major component in games recruitment.

I just wish that Sony would open up a Dreams Arcade Plattform, so the games can be played and bought by non-Dreams owners.

They could definitely do so, all of the more memey games that use copyrighted IP aside, there are games that could sell on places like Steam for 5 bucks like The Pilgrim.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Such a cool story. Modders and community creators can bring so much creative energy with their projects. CD Projekt did the same with hiring modders who worked on The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2 mods. There was also a story about a guy who made Falskaar mod for Skyrim and was later hired by Bungie.