• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Such a cool story. CD Projekt did the same with hiring modders who worked on The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2 mods. There was also a story about a guy who made Falskaar mod for Skyrim and was later hired by Bungie.

Watching the No Clip documentary on CDPR, they even let one of those modders continue to mod W3 after they worked for the studio haha.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Watching the No Clip documentary on CDPR, they even let one of those modders continue to mod W3 after they worked for the studio haha.

If I remember correctly, this guy made combat rebalance mods for every Witcher game. He was also the one who brought scabbards for swords in TW1 mod and directly influenced CD Projekt to include them in their own games. The other notable example is the author of mod Lykaon for TW2 who was hired as level designer in CDPR. He worked on TW3, expansions and Cyberpunk.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dreamer gets job due to Dreams: I'm gonna' get my dream job! :D

ResetEra:
13277.jpg

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
While it does look like he has programming experience, I feel like some are downplaying the value of logic. It's the foundation of computing. It's far more important than what specific programming language you use. Teaching someone a new tool, programming language, etc. seems rather trivial when compared to having a strong foundation in computational logic, imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Its funny reading the constant pessimism in Dreams threads.

I met friends on ROBLOX back in 2008-2010 that were able to use its creation tools to launch professional game development careers. Its nice that something like Dreams is helping expand that potential to console players. Hopefully this guy finds success in his future.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's jealousy, there is something about dreams that bothers people.

It got review bombed on metacritic launch week, which is bizarre for a game that is a bit low profile and doesn't really do anything to screw over the consumer.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's jealousy, there is something about dreams that bothers people.

It got review bombed on metacritic launch week, which is bizarre for a game that is a bit low profile and doesn't really do anything to screw over the consumer.

Probably the same weirdo that bombed AI the Somnium Files and Kunai, they've been doing it randomly, and those games are way lower profile.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Create something in Dreams = waste of time

Play any other game for hundreds of hours = ok, it's their hobby

Logic lol

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
and there is the problem with Dreams, seems like most of it is stuff that already exists but in a badder version...this time it is a badder Resogun
That's quite a cynical take. I mean yeah, that Lego Batman (I think) level did exactly the same sort of thing in a premium game release by imitating Resogun but not being nearly the same kind of experience, but so what? If you're looking at Dreams as a $30 spend and expecting to be endlessly swamped with new original concepts, professional grade games, etc. then of course you're going to be shit out of luck bar the odd outlier. Dreams ain't that. If you're not actively using Dreams and seeing what's out there, just going off half a dozen threads on ERA showing games people attempted to recreate in Dreams, then maybe yes that's all you'll think it is or can be. But it's far, far more than that... and it's the potential for what it can be/could be and makes possible and how it makes it possible that's the real magic. We're a year in with the core community having effectively helped Mm beta test to release. We've already got a handful of indie-level titles worthy of a standalone release. For me, Dreams is heaven-sent in a world where we don't have the bedroom game designer kids of the 80s, where them even being exposed to the possibilities that 100s of thousands of us 80s kids had is near impossible. And you know what? A Dreams skillset might be completely appropriate if you want to make games as a career going into the future. But even if you don't it can be a hell of a lot of fun.

I had a conversation back in the late 90s with a couple of friends I used to make games with on 16-bit platforms, they were just beginning their careers in the industry (a programmer who went on to be a lead engine programmer for studios under two of the biggest publishers out there and a tester-come-designer who moved on to teaching design at a university). They kinda laughed off what I was saying, but I suggested more of their work would become a creative rather than a technical thing, that the same sorts of changes to software that saw highly-skilled tech jobs become mere common skills for general employees would do the same in games creation, and something like Dreams is exactly that sort of thing in action. The real challenges going forward in game design were in the toolset, allowing creatives less and less technically minded to do more and more, and that's still ongoing. Dreams as a first step into that world, something you can spend half a game's worth of cash on and jump in, with a skill set that coudl well become more and mroe relevant, that's big and unfair to dismiss as a crappy clone conveyor belt.

nice for him to get a job offering but that won´t be the norm at all
Of course it won't be the norm, but it's nice that it's a possibility for those who woudl otherwise struggle to find an in.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
If I remember correctly, this guy made combat rebalance mods for every Witcher game. He was also the one who brought scabbards for swords in TW1 mod and directly influenced CD Projekt to include them in their own games. The other notable example is the author of mod Lykaon for TW2 who was hired as level designer in CDPR. He worked on TW3, expansions and Cyberpunk.

Seriously? What a hero.

Scabbards should be a given in any game with swords.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
and there is the problem with Dreams, seems like most of it is stuff that already exists but in a badder version...this time it is a badder Resogun

whats the point of lego? You can only make blockier versions of real stuff. Why not just learn to sculpt like Michelangelo?

I don't get the comparisons with 'real games'. people have hobbies. They enjoy creating. If you like games, why not extend that to games as a hobby? Most of the people making stuff in dreams aren't making it because they hope it gets played by millions. They're doing it for themselve, and maybe some buzz from seeing some other people play and enjoy what they made. It may lead some to get more involved in games dev, like people in other areas that have hobbies that turn into careers.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

i guess most indie souls devs should just quit if they can't make a game better dark souls or bloodborne.

why would anyone want to make a metroidvania game when Symphony of the night already exists in 1998? /S

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him!
The game doesnt look particularly original (resogun...?) or well made... so I am very curious to know why he was choosen. What the devs saw of interesting or skills that made them contact him.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
People that say that there is no programming in Dreams have not tried it. You are programming stuff in Dreams (particularly when doing logic), just not using traditionnal lines of codes but using visual components.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have to check dreams out. Maybe I'll finally be able to make the little game I've had knocking around in my head for the last decade.

How do you do realistic textures and geometry, can you import custom textures and so on?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

It's a few things I think. Part of it is just general console warring bullshit that you see against any exclusive (particularly the highly rated ones).

In Dreams case though there's clearly something else. Perhaps some of it is the general resentment of change and new things. But I reckon the biggest part is a resentment towards talented, creative people creating for creation's sake. There's this weird irritation about the idea that people would put time into Dreams rather than Unity, and this strange narrative that Dreams isn't going to foster anything good unless people can make money from it. There's basically this complete lack of understanding at why anyone would spend their time doing this and rather than just accepting not everyone is the same it filters through into this weird bitterness.

I'm going to have to check dreams out. Maybe I'll finally be able to make the little game I've had knocking around in my head for the last decade.

How do you do realistic textures and geometry, can you import custom textures and so on?

There are no polygons or textures in Dreams, and currently there is no way to import assets from the outside except perhaps with audio. Geometry is sculpted and texture can then be spraypainted onto sculpts or painted.

Oct 27, 2017
There are no polygons or textures in Dreams, and currently there is no way to import assets from the outside except perhaps with audio. Geometry is sculpted and texture can then be spraypainted onto sculpts or painted.

Oh wow, that sounds intriguing! I'll have to delve a little deeper then as to how you create stuff and then what magical methods there are to make things live.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have dabbled around with the tools for a bit, and creating a polished game that does more than "walk around and collect some stuff" takes a lot of time, effort and quite a bit of skill. I know I would never be able to create this "simple Resogun clone".

Oct 26, 2017
Dreams is (among many other things) an extremely visual programming language, but the logic still applies just like any other. Being skilled in applying it and, above all, being able to communicate it in an understandable way, is definitely worth hiring someone for.

I used old knowledge of Basic and some highschool computer science to understand Dreams. It only makes sense that you can then translate the same skills into another programming language.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
lol don't tell me you're in favor of working "fOr ExPoSuRe"

The hell? Working on a passion project because you want to (or simply making something just to learn the tools) is not the same as working for an employeer or on a commission and being told "no pay, but exposure".

Not sure why so many are so negative about this, really weird.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a mystery, is it?

The dude achieved this on his own with Dreams. What could he achieve with better tools and a team? Absolutely worth an interview.

also this is very unlikely to be in isolation. He works in tech, will presumably have a CV showing relevant skills and experience. This is the equivalent of a showcase for your portfolio which helps your overall employability but isn't a silver bullet

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hell? Working on a passion project because you want to (or simply making something just to learn the tools) is not the same as working for an employeer or on a commission and being told "no pay, but exposure".

Not sure why so many are so negative about this, really weird.
There's no problem with just making games for fun and expecting no compensation for it. But by saying that this developer getting hired is proof that doing work with no compensation is good actually, then that's not the argument that's being made anymore. Then the argument becomes that work with no compensation is good because it improves your chances of being seen and potentially being picked up by someone who will pay you.

In other words: it becomes the argument for why artists should work for exposure.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
wHy WoUlD YoU WaStE TiMe WiThOuT CoMpEnSaTiOn
A sentiment I saw in a really unpleasant community from here. Actually mindblowingly stupid. They even went so far to argue that people should be forbidden from doing creative work they want to do if it's unpaid cause it apparently ruins the art industry.
Which is honestly such a fuck off argument. People own their skills and they should be free to do what brings them happiness with them.

And people trying to spin it into doing work for exposure that's not what we're talking about. It's literally about doing creative work cause you want to do it. That can be fanart of a thing, fanart of people you admire, etc and honestly nobody gets to talk about how someone should use their own cultivated skills, what an absolutely asinine thing to do.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The thread didn't turn out the way I thought it would be. What the hell with the negativity ?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
There's no problem with just making games for fun and expecting no compensation for it. But by saying that this developer getting hired is proof that doing work with no compensation is good actually, then that's not the argument that's being made anymore. Then the argument becomes that work with no compensation is good because it improves your chances of being seen and potentially being picked up by someone who will pay you.

In other words: it becomes the argument for why artists should work for exposure.

No one is saying that people should use Dreams expecting to get a job. For the contrary, people are saying that it's a game to create other games.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is saying that people should use Dreams expecting to get a job. For the contrary, people are saying that it's a game to create other games.
Except the one being quoted earlier was doing just that.

When people here are saying that actually, this shows that people saying that doing work for no compensation is bad were wrong, they're saying that the possibility of getting actual work from the exposure developers get from making stuff in Dreams is what proves them wrong.