• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Hakoden, Shoryuken, Sonic Boom...I can do all the basic stuff easy.

But double Hadoken motion for super move? Forget about it!

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
How do you do quarter or half circle moves. Do you use the tip of your thump or the middle/bottom part (I don't know the correct English word for that ;)

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've gotten a better handle on it over time but I definitely have to think about my inputs more on P2 side.

So similarly, when I look up moves online I often now have to pull up a translator AKA "What fuck do these numbers and letters mean?" Again, been playing a lot of fighting games since SF2 on the SNES but if you give me an input string in numbers and letters instead of directions and buttons I'll be totally lost.
I swear reading combo inputs are another language. Its like reading music notes or a foreign alphabet.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
I'm primarily a smash player but have played Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3 for most of my childhood so I'm used to hadokens, and shoryuken motions. That said, I'm having some troubles pulling off bustawife in Ultimate

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
How do you do quarter or half circle moves. Do you use the tip of your thump or the middle/bottom part (I don't know the correct English word for that ;)
out of those two options, I'd say I probably use the tip, or upper part. Depends if it's a dpad or an analog stick though I suppose.
I swear reading combo inputs are another language. Its like reading music notes or a foreign alphabet.
I might make a thread on this. Dunno if there's enough interest in it though.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Not with Hadouken but I do have some problems with the Shoryuken motion.

However the hardest for me now is the double half circle motion, I just can't pull it off anymore. Which sucks as Shin Akuma's Misogi is one of my favourite moves which I just can't pull off.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
The move is performed by moving the stick to Down and in one quarter-circle motion, bringing it around to forward, then the attack button. In other words, the stick hits down, then passes through down-forward, and ends in the forward position.

And this is one of the big problems: you have described it wrong. Try doing what you described in SF2 and it wont work. You have to press the punch at the same time as forward, not afterwards.

This is why so many people struggle with that move. What they are told and what you really have to do are different things.

But the biggest problem is the quality of the controller. Those control sticks and d-pads are very difficult to use with the fighting game moves. You end up overdoing the circle and jumping up. Even charge moves are hard on the d-pad because you inadvertently press up or down when trying a horizontal charge move.

If noobs used fight sticks they would learn the moves very quickly. Even the dragon punch moves are fairly easy with them.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
And this is one of the big problems: you have described it wrong. Try doing what you described in SF2 and it wont work. You have to press the punch at the same time as forward, not afterwards.
You're right, I didn't mean it that way but I see how my wording could be interpreted there.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Shoryuken on a hitbox is criminally easy

must funny because I struggle the most with SRK motions on the hitbox. I think I have an issue holding down multiple buttons with one hand and let go of a few of them. I use a regular stick for SF and KOF and my Hitbox is dedicated to anime games. I think it may be more to do with how it reads inputs compared to BBTAG and UNIST

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
My japanese copy of Street Fighter 2 (the one that came out at the release of the Switch) is right now at my SO place, but I'm bookmarking this thread OP, wanna get good with at least one fighter. If nothing else I'll learn hadouken. lol

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Am the only one that does Shoryuken motions as just Forward, Down, Forward? That's how I've been doing it all these years. Only trouble I've had is a couple KoF games where you have to cancel a DP motion into a super.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
On stick, I find double quarter-circle motions (⬇️↘️➡️⬇️↘️➡️) of supers difficult to consistently pull off in matches. In my opinion, the double motions and 720s are some the earliest and perhaps biggest barrier-of-entry for newer Street Fighter players (control-wise) since they are often the key to landing big round winning damage. Unless I am totally off base, these motions may be the first single moves that really require substantial practice time to land.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This just makes me want to know if there are any good fighting games where I don't execute moves based on using the directional pad or a combination of button presses. The last fighting game I was into was Killer Instinct on N64. I've tried several times since, the last being Street Fighter V, and I just can't do it.
Fighting EX Layer has a mode you pick called Progressive where all of the specials are done with a direction and then an attack button. Some specials are one direction then the other, as are many supers, but there aren't any "complicated" motions like in traditional FG inputs. you can also use classic mode for said traditional inputs, but nobody has an advantage or disadvantage to using either input they feel comfortable with.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
On stick, I find double quarter-circle motions (⬇↘➡⬇↘➡) of supers difficult to consistently pull off in matches. In my opinion, the double motions and 720s are some the earliest and perhaps biggest barrier-of-entry for newer Street Fighter players (control-wise) since they are often the key to landing big round winning damage. Unless I am totally off base, these motions may be the first single moves that really require substantial practice time to land.
In my experience, it's because of the "throw" of the stick. I've had to mod each of mine so they hit the switches faster and return to neutral faster. No problems after that.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Arcades taught me at a young age to be certain you are holding the stick in the correct direction before committing to the button press afterwards. I feel like a lot of people that miss it initially try to do the input and release the stick too early.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Does any game replace dragon punch with a vertical half circle? As in 23698? That seems much more natural of a hand movement, as well as more intuitive for an anti-air move.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
But the biggest problem is the quality of the controller. Those control sticks and d-pads are very difficult to use with the fighting game moves. You end up overdoing the circle and jumping up. Even charge moves are hard on the d-pad because you inadvertently press up or down when trying a horizontal charge move.

If noobs used fight sticks they would learn the moves very quickly. Even the dragon punch moves are fairly easy with them.
I know people always say that your controller doesn't matter, and of course like, if top players are using controllers clearly it kinda doesn't, but I really do believe that arcade sticks are easier. I played on controllers for a long time first, first with the analogue stick where I'd have trouble with inputs sometimes, then with the dpad where I could be much more consistent. When I bought my first arcade stick, people say, you have to relearn, its difficult to use, but immediately it was easier, and extremely intuitive. It just gives you more to work with, to get your inputs right.

Unrelated note but it also helped motivate to play more because it was just a lot more fun to use. While I get why people try to turn off new players from feeling like they should get a stick (they are expensive) I think maybe people go harder on that than they ought to, they make a difference in multiple ways, at least in my own experience.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Hadoken is super easy to do on a d-pad or stick. Shoryuken on the other hand... my success rate is 50% with a pad and 80% with a stick.
Spinning pile driver is impossible to do for me with a pad but super easy with a stick.

Izunavis

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's also important that the button is pressed as you reach the final direction, not after. I've seen some people make this mistake.
The amount of Tekken players I know with who struggle with iSW until I tell them to hit the last input at the same time as the final direction is quite eye opening. Leniency has definitely created this input after direction habit.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I know people always say that your controller doesn't matter, and of course like, if top players are using controllers clearly it kinda doesn't, but I really do believe that arcade sticks are easier. I played on controllers for a long time first, first with the analogue stick where I'd have trouble with inputs sometimes, then with the dpad where I could be much more consistent. When I bought my first arcade stick, people say, you have to relearn, its difficult to use, but immediately it was easier, and extremely intuitive. It just gives you more to work with, to get your inputs right.

Unrelated note but it also helped motivate to play more because it was just a lot more fun to use. While I get why people try to turn off new players from feeling like they should get a stick (they are expensive) I think maybe people go harder on that than they ought to, they make a difference in multiple ways, at least in my own experience.
It's less that it doesn't matter, and more that you should use what you're most comfortable with. For some people that's a stick, for some a pad, etc. I do agree that people should experiment.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Does any game replace dragon punch with a vertical half circle? As in 23698? That seems much more natural of a hand movement, as well as more intuitive for an anti-air move.
There's Fei Long's "chicken wing" and Sagat's original Tiger Knee motion, 12369. Most people would have an easier time with the traditional shoryuken motion.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
It would be neat if this provided people an opportunity in a easy place to learn these basic fighting inputs. Once you have all the quarter circle stuff and dragon punch down you're pretty set in a whole lot of fighting games.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Yep

Is it so damn hard to just say QCF, HCB, F, D, B, UP, etc. Instead I have to look at my damn keyboard every time I see a combo string with numbers mentioned.
The main advantage of numpad notation is that it's universal. You can read it no matter what language you speak since fighting games are enjoyed globally.

Jan 15, 2018
I get that, but it doesn't seem too outlandish for a game to not make you jump if it detects a quarter circle in the same movement. I guess it would making it touchier to jump from a ducked position, though.

Killer instinct has Down then Up + attack for some characters instead of a classic shoryuken motion.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on man, that's not what I was getting at. The inputs are great and I love that they're included, I'm just having trouble consistently executing them on command and since the game doesn't have a good training mode there isn't a simple way to figure out what you're doing wrong. Obviously I'll get better after the character has been out for more than two days

Sorry, wasn't trying to say anything about you. It was a response to people not having problems with qcf motions. It's popping up a lot where I can see, and I don't follow smash at all. I mean, we have threads every other week about how difficult inputs in fighting games are.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
When I was first playing fighting games I had trouble figuring out what it meant and what I actually had to input to do it. When I figured out that QCF is just press down and then forwards quickly on a dpad/keyboard, I pretty much never had a problem with it again. DPs are a little trickier to do since sometimes the game can get confused and think you inputted a hadouken or a shinku hadouken if you try to do so while crouching but it's a still not a big deal IMO.

That being said I fucking hate doing 360/720 motions, especially on a d-pad.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
The Hadouken input is the only one I can do consistently. The Shoryuken input, though... that's something else.

I can help here if you can do a Hadouken consistently then you can do a Shoryuken too. Its simple.

Tap forward followed immediately with however you do a Hadouken.

Its thay simple. Works consistently every time.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, but I could use help with b->f motions in MK11 and NR fighters.

Holy shit the success ratio for me is poor and has caused me to pretty much abandon those games. Even the tutorials had me raging.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hadouken? No, I'm super consistent with it.

Shoryuken? Kinda. I'm fine with it by itself, but in the middle of combos, I suffer.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
must funny because I struggle the most with SRK motions on the hitbox. I think I have an issue holding down multiple buttons with one hand and let go of a few of them. I use a regular stick for SF and KOF and my Hitbox is dedicated to anime games. I think it may be more to do with how it reads inputs compared to BBTAG and UNIST
I've never used one but I think a hitbox would break me. I'm comfy rotating a good dpad with my thumb, having to press multiple buttons for a direction would be torture.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I've never used one but I think a hitbox would break me. I'm comfy rotating a good dpad with my thumb, having to press multiple buttons for a direction would be torture.

it was awkward at first too but i love it for anime fighters. Also helps that when i was a kid, i played KOF98 and 2002 on a keyboard for years. Games with a lot of double tapping work great for me on hitbox but stuff like shorthops and SF chains for the most part i have a lot of trouble with and switch back to regular stick. Def give it a shot though if you ever get the chance. you'd be surprised.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have issues with shoryukens or hadokens. That said, I hate Reversed Shoryuken inputs. Whether they are natively a reverse Shoryuken input or (Even worse) a normal DP input that's often comboed after a move that re-positions your character on the opposite side of the other guy, I just don't like them. I'll generally tolerate them in SF-style fighting games, but throw me into an anime fighter and I'll find someone who just doesn't have to deal with that stuff.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I never had much problem doing hadouken/shoryuken even on the keyboard (yes I played SFIV mostly on the keyboard) but charge moves are impossible for me even in the DS4