• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

The 10 episode series premieres on Friday, October 12 on Netflix.

A modern reimagining of Shirley Jackson's iconic novel, The Haunting of Hill House explores a group of siblings who, as children, grew up in what would go on to become the most famous haunted house in the country. Now adults, and forced back together in the face of tragedy, the family must finally confront the ghosts of their past -- some of which still lurk in their minds while others may actually be stalking the shadows of Hill House.

Created, directed and executive-produced by horror mastermind Mike Flanagan (Hush, Oculus, Gerald's Game), The Haunting of Hill House is a complex family drama wrapped in a chilling horror story.

~ As usual with Netflix shows, please spoiler tag discussion for two weeks after release. ~

Cast

· Annabeth Gish
· Carla Gugino
· Elizabeth Reaser
· Henry Thomas
· Julian Hilliard
· Kate Siegel
· Lulu Wilson
· Mckenna Grace
· Michiel Huisman
· Oliver Jackson-Cohen
· Paxton Singleton
· Timothy Hutton
· Victoria Pedretti
· Violet McGraw

Videos

· Official Trailer
· Behind the Scenes

oAmNnUa.jpg

Reviews

GQ said:
Here's a fact: There has never been a great horror TV series. Try to think of one. Black Mirror? That's a sci-fi anthology and you know it. Channel Zero? I said great. American Horror Story? How dare you waste my time like this.

Here's another fact: Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House is the first great horror TV show ever. The series, based on Shirley Jackson's novel of the same name, pulls no punches when it comes to not just scares, but also the brutality it puts its characters through, physically and emotionally. It's not for the faint of heart, and it's fucking fantastic.

TVGuide said:
It's as though Flanagan has taken Jackson's original work, shattered it and then rearranged the pieces to create a completely original, but equally brilliant tale.

Variety said:
A horror series that doesn't immediately make a case for itself; like the best of the genre, it's slowly insinuating, building in power as it tells a story of repressed trauma and family discord. It's an effective scare-fest that is at its best when the tale does more than jolt the viewer.

Slant said:
The Haunting of Hill House is less than an adaptation of Shirley Jackson's 1959 gothic horror novel of the same name than an echo of it. Few characters and scenes overlap, but the ones that do are notable, not least of which for the way there's both beauty and eeriness in their tension, such as one instance of paranormal handholding. There's no investigation here into the existence of the supernatural—or, rather, its nonexistence—at least not in the conventional sense. Everyone in the present is driven by what they experienced—or didn't experience—in the past, struggling to determine who they exactly are outside of Hill House.

It's a kind of riff on madness in its many forms, a sojourn of loss and regret.

TheVerge said:
There are moments in The Haunting of Hill House that are downright terrifying, particularly if watched at home, alone, in a darkened house. It's a real reminder of how underserved TV audiences are when it comes to true, high-caliber original horror. Shows like Castle Rock flirt with scares, and American Horror Story succeeds in upping the weirdness ante every season. But Flanagan's show is genuinely haunting in a way television rarely accesses.

The Haunting of Hill House
ultimately comes together in a way that's both scary and unexpectedly moving. In the end, it offers its own fresh twist on ghosts and haunted houses, while leaving plenty of room for future installments.

If Flanagan was setting out to reimagine what a haunted house story could be — whether in tone, medium, or emotional context — then The Haunting of Hill House is unquestionably a success. It's not a perfect journey, and there are plenty of bumps along the way. But it's a series that will stick in people's minds — not because of the familiar things it does, but for all the things it dares to do differently.

Last edited:

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
First time hearing about this, looks like something I might enjoy. Thanks, OP.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm real excited for this.
Might want to change this to:
~ As usual with Netflix shows, please spoiler tag discussion for two weeks after release. ~

..since release isn't for a week.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Castle Rock was pretty damn good tbh. And also black mirror is hella overrated. Theres like 2 good episodes a season at most now

Flanagan's been carving a pretty enjoyable body of work, in for this.

Banjo Tango

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
"GQ said:
Here's a fact: There has never been a great horror TV series. Try to think of one... Channel Zero? I said great."

And I say, "Go fuck yourself."

That said, really looking forward to this. The classic movie holds up really well, and I'm happy to see such positive reviews.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"GQ said:
Here's a fact: There has never been a great horror TV series. Try to think of one... Channel Zero? I said great."

That said, really looking forward to this. The classic movie holds up really well, and I'm happy to see such positive reviews.

I thought of Channel Zero as well, and its a must watch for people who want a good horror series. I might agree with them that it's not "great" however. It usually lacks something in execution. Though there's pretty much nothing like it out there, so shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. New season Oct 26-31st as well!

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I've been disappointed that this basically strays away from the novel and its characters, but maybe that's the only way to do it and not disappoint fans of the book. Will check it out anyway.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sounds interesting but I'm annoyed they're using the novel, which is an acclaimed classic, as nothing more than a brand identity.

Just give the show it's own title and leave the novel alone if you're not actually adapting it. This always annoys me.

And the show will have to really deliver in the artistic quality stakes if it's going to live up to the title it's appropriated to sell itself.

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity is there more context to the thread title cause I'll fight people there's been a lot of great horror tv series out there. I won't even mention the easy ones like Twighlight Zone or Black Mirror.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
"GQ said:

Yeah, no kidding. Channel zero is great. That being said, I will watch this show.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity is there more context to the thread title cause I'll fight people there's been a lot of great horror tv series out there. I won't even mention the easy ones like Twighlight Zone or Black Mirror.

It's from GQ's review. I thought it would make for an eye catching thread title:

Here's a fact: There has never been a great horror TV series. Try to think of one. Black Mirror? That's a sci-fi anthology and you know it. Channel Zero? I said great. American Horror Story? How dare you waste my time like this.

Here's another fact: Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House is the first great horror TV show ever. The series, based on Shirley Jackson's novel of the same name, pulls no punches when it comes to not just scares, but also the brutality it puts its characters through, physically and emotionally. It's not for the faint of heart, and it's fucking fantastic

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
IGN said:
The Haunting of Hill House creator Mike Flanagan's adaptation of Shirley Jackson's classic novel works as both a great horror story and a compelling family drama, effectively exploring how the ghosts of our pasts are just as scary as what goes bump in the night.

SlashFilm said:
The emotional drama makes the horror all the more effective. "No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear," C.S. Lewis once wrote, and the sentiment translates perfectly to The Haunting of Hill House. This is no mere haunted house show. It is a journey through grief, and regret, and other things that go bump in the night. It will leave you haunted and terrified, alone in the night. In the dark.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Pajiba said:
There's something in the air ahead of a Flanagan scare. You know it's coming, but not from where. And that tension gnaws at you, curdling your stomach, pulling your fingertips to your agape mouth and maybe up over your wide eyes. It's a divine thrill.

Las Vegas Review Journal said:
Written and directed by Mike Flanagan, "The Haunting of Hill House" practically oozes with gothic horror. Dread, foreboding and general creepiness lurk around every corner in ways seldom seen on television.

Salon said:
Mike Flanagan's stupendously creative, perspective-challenging version of Shirley Jackson's horror classic is fueled by stunning stories about the women of the Crain family.

What makes this rendition of Jackson's story so fascinating is the role femininity and domesticity plays in possessing the lives of a couple and shattering their family so completely that only a tragedy can bring them together as adults.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It is sad that there isn't more quality horror tv.
The best is probably still the X-files. And only certain episodes.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interested in the pedigree, but man TV horror is almost always unsatisfying and bad. American Horror Story is awful, Channel Zero had some promise but is ultimately paper thin by horror standards. Hope this one can buck the trend.

Feb 16, 2018
Hopefully these reviews are accurate because it sounds great from what I'm reading. Hopefully Sabrina and Castlevania S2 end up being good too.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've been interested ever since the trailer but also wary cause it's a horror on tv. These reviews seals it though, and I know what I'll be doing on Friday night. I'm excited!

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I hope it's good. I'll watch it when I get Netflix if so.

Annabeth Gish...that's a name you don't hear much outside of The X-Files. I'm glad to see she's doing more.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, I'm excited. This has been slightly on my radar, but with the good reviews I'm totally gonna watch it now.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
ooooh Ratsky with the good news to start my day <3

wait this is from last friday, I feel bamboozled now!

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Woah!!! Talking mad shade about Channel Zero. I just watched all three seasons that show is legit.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I am really looking forward to this, it's my most anticipated release this October, Mike Flanagan has been on fire lately.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of the 'first good TV horror series' is absolutely intoxicating to me

I can't wait for this now, and this morning I didn't even know it existed

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for this for a while, will watch, Flanagan is good.
Still, Channel Zero is great.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we're just gonna ignore Bates Motel then

Though I suppose it's arguable that it's horror to begin with.

I'll give it a shot, but I didn't like Hush, Oculus, or Gerald's Game, so I have low expectations.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I quite liked Hush but didn't like Gerald's Game much. We'll see how it goes.