• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
is it too early to say Octopath Traveler? because if not, then definitely this gem. i absolutely adored the demo and cant wait for the full game
Project-Octopath-Traveler-2.jpg

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rain World i think. I'm pretty wary of calling something "original," but I'd be genuinely surprised if there is another game even remotely similar to it.

ezgif-4-effbd652ab.gif

I bought Rain World one evening after I drinky-drank a bit too much based on nothing but the art and I have no idea what is going on in this game. I know I could read the internet for tips but I refuse on principle.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Alwa's Awakening.

This game is filled with nostalgia from the old NES days, with fun gameplay and a memorable soundtrack. A true hidden gem for that retro fix.

2913769-alwasawakening_cover_small_cropped.jpg

And Songbringer. Fun, addictive gameplay. Pixel art is not for everybody but this game did it right. Exploration is a blast, and permadeath mode had me on my toes. Another great soundtrack too.

450_1000.png

Observer, Flinthook, A Hole New World and Morphite are also great hidden gems this year.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say Outlast 2. Which might seem an odd choice. Im well aware of games like Observer etc that deserve mention, but I'm saying Outlast 2 cause i felt like that game was anticipated, then came out, and people were kind of meh on it. But damn, that game is disturbing and has many layers of depth. Apparently the patches made some chases less annoying etc, but i was mostly moved by the storyline. Seriously people who are fans are obscure horror shit and stories they have to dig into to get whats going on should give it a chance. There are hours of youtube content of people deciphering what actually happened in that game. Its really pretty incredible imo which is why i feel like it never got an audience.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey look a game about a relatively unexplored period of time in my home country! Interesting. I'll check it out.

I don't know if this counts as a hidden gem but it initially flew under my radar:

The Long Dark
A survival free roaming adventure set in the post-apocalypse.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/The_Long_Dark/
Came to post about TLD.

I have played it for years on Steam EA, but now playing the release version with story mode, and it is still amazing.

Its full release this summer seems to have gone unnoticed, unfortunately (which might be what happens to a ton of games that spend years on EA I guess, becoming old news before their actual release,).

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Just a few of my personal hidden gems of the year…

Tokyo 42

In my estimation, this game was looked over largely because it was so hard to succinctly describe to gamers. It's an incredible isometric toy box that slams together the perspective play of Fez, the frenetic gunplay of Hotline Miami, and the open-world hi-jinx of GTA II into something that comes out greater than its parts. I found the most fun in chasing Tokyo 42's secrets. There are plenty of little easter eggs tucked away in this world, waiting to be picked out with your binoculars. Pickups litter the map–sometimes on top of church steeples or towering skyscrapers that may make you think that you're due for a double-jump upgrade. But it never comes. All the world is reachable with your starting abilities, it's just up to you to go out and access it.

Observer

Note: I think the trailers for this game tend to spoil too much. If you like the look, and don't mind a few jump scares in your first-person exploration, dive in.

Observer is the best detective game I've played in years. Much of the adventure is spent role-playing as a down-and-out detective searching for his missing son in a dilapidated apartment building in future Krakow. The setting helps it overcome its rote setup. By interrogating the various kooky inhabitants of this building, you learn a little more about this world's history, its corporatocracy, and the serial killer that seems to be stalking your every move. The voice talent is provided by none other than Blade Runner's Roy Batty himself, Mr. Rutger Hauer, and his lilting oddness does a lot to cement this game's pure cyberpunk approach. What impressed me most, however, was how Bloober Team learned from its past and was able to craft an experience where the jump scares and the psychological horror had a contextual purpose and weight in this universe, as opposed to the cheap theatrics in Layers of Fear.

The Norwood Suite

When I played Jazzpunk a few years ago, I remember feeling a pang of disappointment that the game wasn't more musical. It certainly felt like an Adult Swim game, but it never seemed to truly earn its title. The Norwood Suite, then, is the jazzpunkiest game I've ever played. It has you running around an insane hotel that'd fit snugly into any David Lynch work, running errands for guests and slowly uncovering more about the hotel's secrets, its mysterious owner, and the mission that sent you here. It's also got the best soundtrack of the year. Honestly, if any of this sounded good to you, it's most definitely worth the asking price. Just play it.

There are a whole bunch more… Night in the Woods feels oddly undercelebrated since it came out so early in the year, Stories Untold marries a campfire horror story with an overwhelming sense of nostalgia, ECHO manages to take an incredibly novel stealth mechanic and tie it to a thoughtfully developed universe, Tracklessis one part Deus Ex, two parts crossword puzzle, OVIVO turns linocuts into playable artwork, Everything is the best translation of philosophical lecture I've yet seen in the videogame medium. Detention is historical horror at its finest. It's objectively been an incredible year for videogames.

Deadweight

Oct 29, 2017
I bought a handful of random games from this year on psn and the biggest stand out for me was ICEY. It was a fairly standard side scrolling beat em up, but the more you explore and go against the narrator the more interesting it becomes.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Aaron D. You mentioned Unexplored, good work! That's what I was here to champion. It's one of my favourite roguelikes of all time.

So instead I will champion... Expeditions: Viking

I haven't gotten too far into it for various reasons, but it's something I feel shouldn't be overlooked.

Expeditions: Viking is an immersive RPG based in history rather than fantasy, where you are--you guessed it--a viking warrior. You lead a viking clan to prosperity, either by trading with--or terrorising--your neighbours, and it has a lot of incredibly deep RPG and roleplaying mechanics to go alongside this. It's just really cool, unlike anything else this year. If you've ever wanted to be a viking: this is the game for you.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I see this website has not been mentioned yet: http://steam250.com/hidden_gems.html
It is based on the algorithm described on PC Gamer last summer.

With the upcoming Steam Winter sales, it might be worth a look. As for 2017, the top 20 non-VR games, which I have filtered manually from the website, are:
  1. Hidden Star in Four Seasons
  2. Linelight
  3. Paradigm
  4. Draw Puzzle
  5. Pinkman
  6. Monolith
  7. Rakuen
  8. Cogmind
  9. Zombie Estate 2
  10. Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps And Beans
  11. SIMULACRA
  12. Superflight
  13. Opus Magnum
  14. Orbt XL
  15. SteamWorld Dig 2
  16. Gorogoa
  17. Fidel Dungeon Rescue
  18. A Hat in Time
  19. Slay the Spire
  20. Odysseus Kosmos and his Robot Quest

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I cant stress this enough, souls fans gotta try "The Surge", the combat feels amazing, the character upgrades are very well done and its simply a joy to play, dont be fooled by the industrial setting, once you play it you will understand, at least try the demo and see for yourself, one of the best games of the year for me.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If you're into history, atmospheric horror, or enjoy unique gaming experiences, I can't recommend Detention enough. Set in 1960s Taiwan, Detention is a survival horror game about a girl that is trapped in her high school. There are monsters, ghosts and other conventional horrors here, but what really makes this game scary is the way it showcases life under a repressive regime. It's short, cheap, and a great game to play during the Halloween season. It's available on Steam and PS4...

still not available on canada psn (tho, according to the publisher, 'in the mail')...

game i'm finally playing: rime

RiME_20170529011631.jpg

by no means perfect, but pretty, dreamy, & far more impressive than i was anticipating. great rainy/snowy day game :) ...

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'll just cross-post my thread about low-profile games that blow your expectations here.
2017 is indeed an amazing year for gaming all-around with long-running franchises from well-regarded developers getting the spotlight, including Zelda, Mario, Persona, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, etc.

However, there are also low-profile ones that lots of people tend to miss but you tried them anyway because why not. Unexpectedly, the games were so good they went above and beyond your expectations. They don't sell gangbuster, they didn't win any awards, but they're so unexpectedly good.

I have some:

header.jpg

A Euro-jank RPG from the maker of Risen series? Gross.. but nope, this game blew my expectations out of the water. While the game is indeed janky (it's actually a feature), it's a pretty solid and deep open-world RPG. Exploration is well-rewarded, choices do matter, progression is so satisfying, and the world feels so alive and well-realized. RPG fans really shouldn't sleep on this one.

header.jpg

Following the not-so-great Tales of Zestiria, I kept my expectation very low for Berseria. But it turned out pretty amazing in the end. The game is just so much better than Zestiria, improved in so many aspects from the cast, equipment system, and story. If you can get past the MC's outfit (you can change her outfit, but it reverts to the original one in cutscenes/skits), you really shouldn't sleep on this one.

header.jpg

Another Souls-like game from the maker of Lords of the Fallen, but now in sci-fi. Yeah, that doesn't sound compelling at all. I haven't played LotF due to the general negativity surrounding the game, but I'm glad I took the risk on this one. While at its core it's still a Souls-like game, there are so many nice tweaks that make the game special.

C2jlqtgVEAAZXON.jpg

I never played a Yakuza game before, and the rest is history.

How about yours, ERA?
They're not indies like most games mentioned in this thread, but they're well-hidden judging by the sales number so far.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
man I love this thread and I love indies so much.

theres already like 6 games on here that looks interesting and that I will most likely buy

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Cosmic Trip. Weird and wonderful. Innovative gameplay, innovative VR implementation. Cool style.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nex Machina gets enough love or attention. By far the most zen I've felt playing any game in so long. It was challenging, looked absolutely stunning and the music was out of this world. One of the best this year.

587f5e529d6b5.jpg

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's a fantastic turn-based tactical RPG, and personally one of my favorite games this year. Up until this point, it's also the game I've put the most hours into this year, though soon to be surpassed by Divinity: Original Sin 2.

The enemy design is great. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that throughout most of the game (at least until your first crisis) your'e forced into adapting new strategies to handle different enemies and compositions. It's also the type of game where you'll begin to grow attached to your company men. The heroics of a fellow brother to hold off a Brigand Leader whose actions saved your company from disaster, but who ultimately fell in battle will stick with you.

I've read comments from others who dislike the art style and lack of legs, but I strongly encourage anyone interested in turn-based combat or strategy games to check it out.

It's currently on sales on GOG but im waiting for the Steam sale that might be 5$ less at 15$ instead of 20$.
It look so good, I highly recommand FilthyRobot

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for Hollow Knight. It's an amazingly high quality game, especially for that price tag.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm currently playing 'God Wars Future Past" on PS4 and enjoying it. Granted, I enjoy most SRPGs, so I'm not super picky. It has a job system similar to FFT, but overall the game kind of reminds me of "Saiyuki Journey West" which was a hidden gem on the original PlayStation.

Also Culdcept Revolt on 3DS is super addicting.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It might just be Floor Kids for me.

People that are obsessed with asking "how long is it?" off the bat would do best to avoid, but in terms of purely enjoyable play -- you know, just for the sake of playing -- and the bridging of different creative disciplines into an interactive format, it's pretty special.

I haven't had a chance to pick up Gorogoa yet, though, and that looks like a real contender.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gorogoa just released a few days ago and is a hell of a capstone for 2017 as a whole. Absolutely incredible game, a work of pure artistry. I would strongly recommend it not just to puzzle fans, but to everybody. Keep in mind it's only a couple hours long, but those couple hours are sheer quality. One of my favorite puzzle games ever.

tumblr_n4ccjfKTpC1si4jeeo4_r1_500.gif

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Heroes Allowed! VR

00lko3.jpg

A great little RTS game that uses the VR tech to simulate the game field as a table game. It's short but incredibly fun. I hope it's the template for a longer, deeper game in the future.

Caveman Warriors
imageurl8oaj9ryq1g1_pomjlk.jpg

This game really took me by surprise. The art style looks like a kid's poor anime-styled high school notebook doodles and the animation is extremely Flash looking but it ended up being a really fun side-scrolling action platformer. Probably my biggest surprise of the year.

The Invisible Hours

TSRRMiNm.jpg

Another VR title but this one was fascinating. It's not really a "game" so much as being the lone audience member of a play that you can stop, rewind, fast forward, or completely ignore the play, explore the house, follow certain characters around the house to see what they're doing while a different scene plays out elsewhere in the house. It's hard to convey how cool it actually is. Really interesting and it seems to have received such little attention.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished GOROGOA a few minutes ago. It's amazing that one of the best games I played this year came in at the last minute. Absolutely loved it.

Synonymous

Oct 27, 2017
Great idea for a thread given this year.

Another vote for Cosmic Star Heroine: Really strong, smart combat system and some beautiful pixel art. Breezy plot and likable characters. Also, you fight a kaiju in a Gundam at one point. Great fun.

Stories Untold: Terrific Twilight Zone-esque horror anthology that uses the obtuse operating procedures (and creepy displays) of old '80s technology combined with a harrowingly limited perspective on initially-unknown larger terrors transpiring just outside your technological cocoon. I'm in the camp that's not fond of where the fourth chapter goes, but the first 3/4 is must-play stuff for fans of psychological horror, with the second story being a master class in its pacing and gradual escalation of what you know of your situation, culminating in an exceptional use of games' unique ability to create empathy through a brilliant use of an unexpected mechanic. I am Day One for whatever this team has coming next. (Warning: make sure you figure out how to zoom in using the microfiche reader in part 3 to avoid eyestrain, though.)

Also: the first episode is free on Steam as a demo.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!:
I don't how "hidden" you could consider this to be, as you're near-certain to have jumped on this if you played the first game. It's not quite as smart as its predecessor, one of my all-time faves: the money-management aspect of the game is out the window, as is the gradual escalation of the complexity of dishes. Instead, it's just an all-out assault of everything thrown at you all at once - a CSD for super players. I've put 60 hours into it already.

I also have a great deal of affection for The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker, an FMV title where you're a psychologist tasked with talking a group of patients through their unique, seemingly-supernatural problems - and also trying to find out which one might have killed the previous doctor and why. I know some folks had parser problems in the early going (which get better once you learn how the game expects you to ask questions, and the devs also patched in some QoL stuff shortly after release), but I found the stories intriguing and the characters well-written and -acted. I like the fact that we're finally getting FMV games from folks who are well-versed in the language and craft of both gaming and film. I don't why this stuff is all coming out of the U.K. for some reason (see Contradiction, Late Shift), but keep it coming.

(Want to try: Detention; Alone with You)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Night in the Woods - One of the most memorable narrative games I've played. Art style and soundtrack are both fantastic too. Looking forward to jumping in for another play through once the director's cut update is out.

Dead Cells - Rouge like take on Metroidvania, and it's one of the better rouge lites I've played. Combat is very satisfying and there are tons of interesting weapon and ability combinations that are fun to experiment with. It's still early access, but feels like a polished and complete experience.

Fight'N Rage - Fantastic modern beat em up with deep and satisfying combat including special moves and supers, SF III style parrys, dash cancels and more. There are multiple branching paths and tons of different endings and unlockable characters and modes. Whoever made this game was a big fan of Street Fighter and Streets of Rage because there are lots of neat references to those series.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Night in the Woods

It's gonna end up pretty high on my GOTY list

Night-in-the-Woods_20170331000234-620x349.jpg

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Whilst I haven't finished it yet, Night in the Woods has really surprised me, I'm absolutely in love. I also wasn't expecting the Persona slice-of-life aspect to the game's day-to-day format (sans dating), and I'm finding the characters and their relationships to be genuinely engaging. The writing is fantastic, and NITW definitely has some important things to say about mental health, growing up, nostalgia, and small town/failing industry. The LGBTQ+ characters in the main cast are a wonderful surprise. All the characters are nuanced, flawed, tragic, laugh-out-loud funny, as is the protagonist's family and the rest of the town people. I don't want to casually disparage one game while recommending another, but NITW surprisingly scratched an itch that Persona 5 really didn't manage to. I wasn't expecting to get so emotionally invested in the characters, but DAMN.

Mae's sketch book is great, as is exploring the town for little side stories. I was surprised by the little side-games that popped up - the computer game, practicing bass guitar. I'm kinda addicted to the guitar.

The game has impeccable art direction, and an absolutely stunning soundtrack, including the original band songs. I'll definitely be doing replay to follow other character's storylines.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Apologies for the lack of images, but with a Steam Sale just coming around the corner, here is a shortlist you should absolutely check out.

1. ZWEI THE ILVARD INSURRECTION
  2. TOWER 57
  3. BATTLE CHASERS NIGHTWAR
  4. COSMIC STAR HEROINE
  5. CROSSCODE
  6. DUNGEONS 3
  7. SPELLFORCE 3
  8. FIGHT N'RAGE
  9. GALAXY OF PEN & PAPER
  10. LODE RUNNER LEGACY
  11. LOST DIMENSION
  12. TOKYO XANADU EX+
  13. NEX MACHINA
  14. PROJECT NIMBUS
  15. RIVER CITY RANSOM UNDERGROUND
  16. ROAD REDEMPTION
  17. SONG BRINGER
  18. SUPER DUNGEON BROS
  19. CRAWL

Mimosa97

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Detention impossible to find in the canadian store? I found it in the US store though.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017

This is a criminally under appreciated Dungeon Crawler. According to steamspy it's sold less then 7k copies which is *insane*. It's a traditional dungeon master/EOTB/Grimrock style dungeon crawler set in a Rapture-esque Steampunk setting. Really great game. Great dungeon design, fun and challenging combat, an interesting story and some really nice visual design.

giphy.gif

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd go with Hob & Hollow Knight for this year. I'm currently playing Okami for the first time on One X, which otherwise has been absolute poverty in terms of indie games & Japanese stuff I want to play.

Someone should pool all the games here into a fancy list with platform next to them. I'm totally exhausted, and scrolling through this thread is making me cross eyed.

G0aoQ.gif

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I have come to name three games in particular.

1. Rakuen
A glorious tear jerker by Laura Shigihara. She is the voice of a few vocal tracks such as Everything's Alright from To The Moon. She sings a lot of the songs in Rakuen and it makes the game a lot more enjoyable as the music is touching and atmospheric.
Oh yeah I wanted to play this but didn't find any impressions on the old forum around time of release. How did it compare to To The Moon? That is to say, how much did you cry?

Frankly I think they are both excellent but I prefer Rakuen. I replayed To The Moon after Rakuen to try get a fresher opinion on it and I think the stories in Rakuen is just a lot more relateable and in my opinion heart breaking. The music and songs from Laura can hit like a truck. I found the individual stories and the main plot to be stronger in Rakuen though I have read other opinions that prefer To The Moon as well.

POp7TDj.jpg

While To The Moon had an interesting thing going with memory alteration Rakuen explores imagination and a fairytale like fantasy. The parallel world is whimsical and pleasant, it contrasts beautifully with the hospital and made both fun to explore and interact in.

As far as I can tell there has been nothing but high praises for Rakuen. Bring tissues!

My second game I want to nominate is
2. Expedition: Vikings
So instead I will champion... Expeditions: Viking
header.jpg

I haven't gotten too far into it for various reasons, but it's something I feel shouldn't be overlooked.

Expeditions: Viking is an immersive RPG based in history rather than fantasy, where you are--you guessed it--a viking warrior. You lead a viking clan to prosperity, either by trading with--or terrorising--your neighbours, and it has a lot of incredibly deep RPG and roleplaying mechanics to go alongside this. It's just really cool, unlike anything else this year. If you've ever wanted to be a viking: this is the game for you.
I also loved that they managed to push for better female representations throughout the game without it feeling shoe horned in or out of place. The occasional instance of sexism shown was also fun to answer with traditional viking violence but mostly I just enjoyed playing a character that comes with a reputation of violence even when you try to be peaceful. Some of the companions are fun too.

The last game I want to recommend is.

3. Battle Chef Brigade
2ba9aa4ed27e27f27d720650bdeda4596b8fdd70.png

Just a really charming game that is simple yet fun. The characters are diverse and lovable. The story is simple but pleasant enough. The only fault I have with it is its length but it was developed by a small team and DLC content is coming too.
Era Thread
https://www.resetera.com/threads/battle-chef-brigade-ot-not-overcooked.7922/

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Subbed. Many interesting games here. 2017 is so packed with big releases I haven't got the time to get into the smaller stuff.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Nex Machina and Edith Finch for me. Not sure if they quite make the cut as a 'hidden gem' - Finch in particular had a lot of coverage at launch - both are completely different types of game but both are guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Definitely stick them on the wishlist for the inevitable holiday sale if you haven't already.

Nex Machina scratches the Robotron/Smash TV itch and is (IMO) Housemarque's best game. Edith Finch is a 'walking sim' but full of surprises and easily worth the couple of hours or so it will take you to complete.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me the best hidden gem was Serial Cleaner. Awesome game, I just wish it had more levels. :)

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't stress enough how amazing Outlast 2 is.
For any and all who value atmosphere in games like I do, this one is such a treat. Everything about it is great aside from it being a little more "chase" oriented than stealth.
Really close to be my GOTY this year.