• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Getting back into PC gaming, and my prior mice in FPS-heavy days were heavy (had one where I added all the optional weights) and rolled on these hard surfaced, textured mousepads. I looked like a fanatic to local PC friends at the time, but that's all boomer gear in the current scene.

I grabbed a newer HyperX mouse and was surprised at how good (even?) the low weight felt and how on-point the click feeling is, even for the thumb buttons, and got to checking into how the pricier options fare. How anyone ponied up for a Zaunkoenig or finalmouse? What about the "lower-end" of this range? Have 4k polling or impossibly light weights helped your game?

qX1MA07.png

qEobPI6.png

8rWAdcZ.png

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
I'm a weirdo, I prefer more weight. I went with the G502 hero and I've been very happy. Having a couple easy to press buttons makes all the difference for me. Especially in Alien Isolation where I set the one your thumb lies on to "lean."

Mostly just waiting for the PC market to make a good gaming trackball. Still nothing, trying to work on one myself.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Logitech G Pro Ultralight or something like that? It's about 100 bucks I think and its been great. No dumb hexagon holes, just looks like a clean mouse thats comfortable and light as hell

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Absolutely not imo. I wouldn't spend more than like $90 on a mouse and it better be wireless and very reliable and all that.

$189? foh

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the same mouse for 10 years now (G602, now 604) and it's been steadily increasing in price.

I can't live without it though

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
in my experience once you go over the $100 mark you're getting into racer chair territory, not that there's anything wrong with that but if you're looking for a good practicality/cost ratio that ain't it

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I got the G Pro Ultralight or whatever it's called for 80€ in a deal and it's great. I wouldn't pay more than a 100€ max for a mouse. I had a 30€ mouse before and I don't feel a big difference performance wise. It has better ergonomics and is lighter (and has a battery), which was more important to me. Look for a mouse that feels good to hold, most gamer mice are fast enough for the average gamer anyways.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I was skeptical, but it's really hard to go back to a 100g+ mouse after using a 65g wireless mouse (G Pro Superlight).

I just wish Logitech would release a super light with the 702 form factor.

Am I better? Maybe. It feels like overshoot is much more controlled with a light mouse at low sensitivities since there is a lot less momentum behind the movement. It does feel really good though.

I'm a bit stuck with Logitech since I have PowerPlay and really don't want to give it up. Such a great QoL improvement for wireless mice.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Mice from the bigger brands (e.g. Logitech and Razer) are regularly discounted by 1/2 to 2/3 here.
That's the only time it's worth picking up those 'premium' gaming mice in my opinion.

Lightweight mice with better tracking, higher polling rates, etc. absolutely are worth it over your basic office mouse for gaming.
But that starts around $30 with the G305, and you can drop its weight by using a AAA battery with an adapter instead of AA.
It's no ultralight mouse with wireless charging etc, but anything beyond the G305 tier has greatly diminished returns.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Mice from the bigger brands (e.g. Logitech and Razer) are regularly discounted by 50% to 67% here.
That's the only time it's worth picking up those 'premium' gaming mice in my opinion.

Lightweight mice with better tracking, higher polling rates, etc. absolutely are worth it over your basic office mouse for gaming.
But that starts around $30 with the G305, and you can drop its weight by using a AAA battery with an adapter instead of AA.
It's no ultralight mouse with wireless charging etc, but anything beyond the G305 tier has greatly diminished returns.
I have one g305 too and its really great value, the battery life is great but should mention that its fairly small, and more narrow than most other mice so if you have slightly bigger than avg hands it's not the most comfortable one to game on

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and wireless mice are the only thing I'd even consider today. Whatever incredibly minor latency benefit you get from a wired mouse is completely offset by the cable tugging onto your every move, even with a bungee.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Only mice that are worth it to me are MMO mice. Having access to 15+ buttons on your mouse is a game changer even in non MMO games for me. I have a Naga Pro that has plates you can shuffle (default 2 button side plate, one with 6 and the mmo kind with 12). Picked it up on sale for $75 and its been great

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I haven't found a gaming mouse I like more than my MX Master 3. I love the button your thumb rests on. I set it something in every game I play and haven't found another mouse that has this.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
I swear by the Logitech G Pro Superlight. It's been my mouse for the past year, coming up on two, and I can rave about the shape and weight all day. I was using the slightly heavier version for the past month while at my parents' house and missed the (lack of) weight in the Superlight. It goes on sale every so often, and I think it hit sub 80 during Black Friday? I'd say it's worth it at that price.

I can't speak to other mice since I haven't tried any other since this one though

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I've had my G900 for quite a while now and it's been great. Probably the longest a Logitech mouse has ever gone without double-clicking on me, to be honest.

Shit, now I cursed myself.

Oh, and wireless mice are the only thing I'd even consider today. Whatever incredibly minor latency benefit you get from a wired mouse is completely offset by the cable tugging onto your every move, even with a bungee.

That tugging feeling, along with cleaning mouse balls, is something I will never miss.

OP
OP
Grifter

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a weirdo, I prefer more weight. I went with the G502 hero and I've been very happy. Having a couple easy to press buttons makes all the difference for me. Especially in Alien Isolation where I set the one your thumb lies on to "lean."

Mostly just waiting for the PC market to make a good gaming trackball. Still nothing, trying to work on one myself.

Not that it matters to most, but are trackballs considered a handicap in any way?

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Another G Pro X Superlight here. Amazing mouse, wasn't convinced my the lightweight-ness initially, but I'm not sure I could go back now.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I personally cannot find a mouse large enough for it to be comfortable for me. I spent probably around 500 CAD trying out different mice last year. My favourite was the mionix naos 7000, but it's wired and didn't have enough buttons. Settled on some crappy LG mouse.

I want bigger/wider mice :(

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I personally cannot find a mouse large enough for it to be comfortable for me. I spent probably around 500 CAD trying out different mice last year. My favourite was the mionix naos 7000, but it's wired and didn't have enough buttons. Settled on some crappy LG mouse.

sounds like you need the equivalent of big & tall

that's the problem, mice needs to be usable across an extremely wide range of hand sizes. to me, stuff like the g502 is already huge and i have average sized hands. i had to palm grip that when i usually am fingertip grip.

making mice that fit everything from asian women hands to scandinavian men hands is tough.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I have one g305 too and its really great value, the battery life is great but should mention that its fairly small, and more narrow than most other mice so if you have slightly bigger than avg hands it's not the most comfortable one to game on
Yeah, it's not for everyone.
I was surprised though, because smaller mice—particularly some of Logitech and Razer's "mobile" mice—would cause my hand to cramp badly due to their size.

But for some reason, the G305 is a great fit for me, and is comfortable to use all day.
My grip with it is difficult to describe. It's kind of like a palm grip, where my hand is flat on the mouse. But due to its size, it's only my fingers that are making contact, not my palm at all.
I use three fingers on top, too. It's my ring finger on the right button, not my middle finger.

With many other mice - especially 'ergonomic' designs - my complaint is often that they aren't large enough for full hand support.
There's just something about the G305 shape that works well for me.

Still, that recommendation is mostly to say that you can get a great performing gaming mouse from a known-brand for only $30–35 or so.
There's no need to spend hundreds, and it's not the only option.

Agreed. Wireless tech in gaming mice is good enough now, and the lack of a cable is a big upgrade.

Not that it matters to most, but are trackballs considered a handicap in any way?
They're usually quite low resolution and rely a lot on acceleration to work.
You can game with them (I used to, with an old Microsoft trackball back in the '90s) but I don't recommend it.
Even if things like weight are not a concern, I don't recommend any kind of "office" mouse, because nearly all of them are fixed at 125Hz polling, which is not smooth at all in many games - or even on the desktop if your display is faster than 60Hz.

If you aren't concerned about gaming, look up the Contour Mouse. They make them in large sizes.
I think that model is discontinued now, but places still seem to have stock.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I used a lot of mice and a lot of MMO mice. MMO mice are great in general but favourite and current one is the naga pro wireless. Regular mice I used a lot and tried plenty of them

From Pulsar to Glorious to FinalMouse to Razer to Logitech. Pulsar is great from its price which is under 100. Didn't like Glorious nor FinalMouse cause I hate the honeycomb design and yes, don't care about how light they are. The design is shit to me. Razer I tried plenty but last two years I had the first version of Viper Ultimate, it was great. Right now my mouse for the past year is Logitech G Pro Superlight and I'm not going to change that anytime soon. Even if my current one broke I will go buy a new one. Solid mouse, fits perfectly in my massive hand and the weight is good.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The MMO mice like the Razer Naga, Corsair Scimitar, and the like are worth it for me, even if you don't play MMO games from an accessibility standpoint alone.

The cheaper ones don't allow the same kinds of remapping and usually only have like 10-12 buttons on the side, the more expensive ones give you 17-19, and that's nearly enough to move stuff like abilities, crouch, sprint, and the like to the mouse where it's more comfortable to me and then leaving minimal functions for my left hand to stretch to when on WASD.

I can't play FPS games on a mouse that's not an MMO mouse.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

the big thing with wireless mice is the price difference, or some good wired options having no wireless option.

Logitech also tend to be the best for wireless, and i can't use Logitech mice again until i know they won't have the double click problem. in a 1-2 year period i went through 10-15 mice from double click issues.

my viper mini has been lasting for a while now, knock on wood.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I could never go back to a "normal" mouse after using a superlight. It does wonders for your wrists if you work all day. It's so damn light and responsive!

OP
OP
Grifter

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Only mice that are worth it to me are MMO mice. Having access to 15+ buttons on your mouse is a game changer even in non MMO games for me. I have a Naga Pro that has plates you can shuffle (default 2 button side plate, one with 6 and the mmo kind with 12). Picked it up on sale for $75 and its been great

Having a dialpad on the side of your mouse is mental to me, but I did pick up a Naga Hex years ago that I loved... until it died after months of very light use.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
the big thing with wireless mice is the price difference, or some good wired options having no wireless option.

Logitech also tend to be the best for wireless, and i can't use Logitech mice again until i know they won't have the double click problem. in a 1-2 year period i went through 10-15 mice from double click issues.

Yeah I just got a Logitech G604 Wireless for $35. No more excuses for wired, haha

I'll gladly spend $100+ on a good peripheral, but mice? Eeeehhhhh Unless you're competitive or something, I don't get it

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
I want a weighted mouse too, I'd love a wireless one, but I want a mouse pad that has a wireless charging spot for the mouse to charge it at the end of the day without thinking about it

Oct 25, 2017
I had a cheap razer mouse that broke and they sent me a Basilisk Ultimate to replace it under warranty. That mouse lists for $170 but it looks like it's $90 on Amazon these days.

Anyway, I liked the cheaper one much more because it took a single AA battery so I could just cycle eneloops in it and never worry. This more expensive one has to recharge on a dock or over USB and I always forget to dock it and it's always flashing red for low battery.

Also the cheaper one had a Bluetooth mode on top of the dongle but this one doesn't. Overall the cheaper one was much better for me than the expensive one.

Only upside is that it has optical switches so the click mechanism will never fail, which is what broke on my original one.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Personally I've been in love with the Viper series from Razer. Fit well in my hand, they glide nicely, and decently long battery life. Only recently upgraded to the Viper V2 Pro for the better battery life and for how lightweight it is. I've tried Logitech Superlights, G Pro, 502, a bunch of different Glorious mouses, and other brands, always end up back with my Viper though.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just got a Logitech G604 Wireless for $35. No more excuses for wired, haha

I'll gladly spend $100+ on a good peripheral, but mice? Eeeehhhhh Unless you're competitive or something, I don't get it

yeah, Logitech is the best for wireless stuff. like there's no wireless viper mini, so i can't get that. the g302/g pro/etc wireless shape is my general ideal, and i loved the mice, but i had serious double click problems again and again and again. holding a click would make it click a bunch of times. Logitech RMA'd my stuff so many times, but i never got one that lasted.

i don't know if they've finally upgraded to similar optical switches like the newer razers that don't seem to have that issue in the past few years.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like the g600, but I mostly play mmos. I think they usually go for 60-70? Amazon had them on sale a couple years back for $30 so I bought 2-3.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the double click issue is a real problem. I got a soldering iron so I can just fix it myself when it arises.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't think I'd pay more than what I paid for a Fantech Aria. The super limited $150+ mice? Hell no, not worth it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've generally been pretty happy with pricier mouses, so I'd say yeah it's worth it.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said I think MMO mouses are worth it, but even those don't really go over $100 if you get them on sale. I've used a Naga in the past, and at the moment I'm using a Corsair Scimitar. I find it difficult to play pc games without the mouse these days, it was game changing for games with a lot of keybinds, but even being able to rebind sprint/crouch etc in shooters is super useful to me as well.

I feel like the reason to get those kind of mice mentioned in the OP would be if you're hyper competitive with shooters. Like esports level. I can see the benefit of a super light, high polling rate mouse, but I can't imagine it mattering for most people since I feel like you'd have to be really good to notice it/take advantage of it.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
the pulsar xlite v2 is really really good. best mouse ive had imo. wireless version

i cant have anything wired in mys etup so i have to go wireless and they are usually much pricier.

fox

Oct 25, 2017
I bought one called the MOJO Pro Performance Silent Gaming Mouse, because I hate loud, clicky, gaming mice. It's been great for gaming

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
If it's good I doubt it'd be much of a detriment. One could argue you can get quicker fine tuned control via your fingers than your wrist or arm. So maybe it would even be an advantage.
Besides, with the risk of RSI in pro gaming, you'd think more would be made.
There is one, gameball, or something, but it doesn't quit fit my needs.

bluestuff

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary AB
Bought a final mouse last year on a whim coming from the Logitech wireless light weight mouse. Best mouse I have ever used. Plays a variety of games on PC and appreciate the weightlessness in all of them. Seems very durable so far, long battery live and good buttons. USB C would be great. (they didn't want to because of weight apparently) Price and the drop bs are the only othersore parts. Seems like the new Logitech super light is good too.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, Logitech is the best for wireless stuff. like there's no wireless viper mini, so i can't get that. the g302/g pro/etc wireless shape is my general ideal, and i loved the mice, but i had serious double click problems again and again and again. holding a click would make it click a bunch of times. Logitech RMA'd my stuff so many times, but i never got one that lasted.

i don't know if they've finally upgraded to similar optical switches like the newer razers that don't seem to have that issue in the past few years.

I had a 502 lightspeed for 6-7 years before this, didn't have any of the double-click issues that I had plenty with both Logitech and razer in the past.

Here's to hoping.