• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
White House hopeful Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) proposed at a town hall Tuesday leveraging billions of dollars in aid to Israel to push the country to change some of its policies.

Sanders, a fierce critic of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is currently working to form a right-wing governing coalition, said the leverage could be used to shift Israeli policies and craft a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that is amenable to both parties.

"The goal of the United States has got to be is to bring people in the region together, the Palestinians and the Israelis, to create a kind of workable peace which works for both parties, not just one," Sanders said Tuesday in New Hampshire.

"The United States government gives a whole lot of money to Israel, and I think we can leverage that money to end some of the racism that we have recently seen in Israel."

The Sanders campaign did not immediately respond to an inquiry from The Hill regarding how much money it would try to leverage and with which specific policies Sanders disagrees.

The U.S. and Israel inked an agreement in 2016 that would send $38 billion in military aid to Jerusalem over a 10-year span, the largest such aid package in U.S. history. Activists have long decried the agreement, saying taxpayer dollars should not be helping fund Israel's occupation of the West Bank and or its blockade of the Gaza Strip.

Good news!

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
This is great and I hope other democratic candidates follow suit but you know these shills sadly wont

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is one of the areas that I really think Bernie could have a profound impact on as President, no matter what Congress looks like (and I can't say that for the other candidates).

Good on ya Bernie.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Time and time again, Sanders has put forth excellent policies, and yet you will still have people insisting that they won't vote for him. It's unfortunate to see. Sure he has personality flaws like all other humans, but he would make a terrific leader -- an inspiration to all. Whenever people talk about wanting a president to represent the average, every day person, Bernie is that person.

It's refreshing to see a politician against the right-wing Israeli government.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How dare he not throw blistering support for Bibi. Doesn't he know to toe the party line?

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Even if Bernie doesn't get the nomination, I hope he continues to push for this sort of thing so it becomes a big issue for whoever does wind up getting the nomination.

Dems really need to change their thinking when it comes to Israel. It's embarrassing right now as it is. Bernie has been really effective at getting the public to change their minds, and I hope he gets with AOC and Ilhan to further push this line of thinking in terms of future policies.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the areas that I really think Bernie could have a profound impact on as President, no matter what Congress looks like (and I can't say that for the other candidates).
Yeah. In terms of policy where I feel Bernie could actually make a difference, it's this since he wouldn't need congress for a lot of dealings with Israel.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That money should have been on the chopping block the moment Bibi started his antagonistic rhetoric basically abandoning the two state solution.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just one of the many reasons why Bernie is the best choice even though some of his other positions have become somewhat mainstream with the party

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
One of the few candidates that will be difficult for AIPAC and Nancy Pelosi to label as an anti-Semite.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Haha right, was more so just making fun of the dem party basically echoing all of his positions from 2016, now.
No I got it, but that's a good thing and exactly what's supposed to happen in a primary. Candidates moving the conversation along on issues they care most about, even if they don't win.

That's not a failure of the system, it's a feature.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not particularly a Bernie fan, to say the least. But on this, I am a Bernie fan.

Sadly I don't see this moving the needle for the rest of the Democratic party, because this isn't an issue that motivates much of the base, either "progressive" or moderate. Or rather, the portion of the base that rabidly opposes any criticism of Isreal is at least as big and is much more powerful.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fucking hubris of Bernie, thinking he can bully other world leaders and tell them how to run their own country. /s

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Bernie has devolved into more like his younger self. Back then he was as much foreign policy oriented as he was domestic, but in 2016 it kind of felt like he was lacking on that front. He seems to have come up to speed very strongly compared to the other candidates over the past few years and that's great..kind of.

Being a huge supporter of Bernie this is great, but its also not good. Elizabeth warren is my second choice but she has almost zero foreign policy to speak of and the less said about her historical view of Israeli policy the better. And Biden's idea of foreign policy is....pretty terrifying to say the least if we're talking about maintaining the status quo that Trump has moved even further to the right.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Uh no shit we should. Idk why the heck we give that state even money tbh. Its right up there with Saudi, if not worse due to their outright blatant disrespect of UN accords.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
We sent $38 billion to Israel in "aid"?? Fuck man. Why are we giving this much money to a foreign government to wage war on others? We could do so much with that money here...

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time and time again, Sanders has put forth excellent policies, and yet you will still have people insisting that they won't vote for him. It's unfortunate to see. Sure he has personality flaws like all other humans, but he would make a terrific leader -- an inspiration to all. Whenever people talk about wanting a president to represent the average, every day person, Bernie is that person.

It's refreshing to see a politician against the right-wing Israeli government.

I've been reading politics on resetera since it started and I don't think I've seen a single D voter say they wouldn't vote for him were he to get the nomination.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just one of the many reasons why Bernie is the best choice even though some of his other positions have become somewhat mainstream with the party

Largely because of his efforts. 'He's not even a Democrat!!!!' They screeched, as he has effected a positive and transformative impact on the party while at times being the most popular politician in the country among Dems and Independents.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Largely because of his efforts. 'He's not even a Democrat!!!!' They screeched, as he has effected a positive and transformative impact on the party while at times being the most popular politician in the country among Dems and Independents.

the people who gnash their teeth about bernie not being a democrat are really just worried about democrats becoming more like bernie

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Why do I feel like it wouldn't be surprising to see those republican fucks call Bernie an antisemite for even suggesting this? They love to call people that whenever they are not 100% behind Bibi, so I wouldn't put it past them to call a democratic jew an antisemite.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are many posts in past Bernie threads ranging from "I hate Bernie" to "I won't vote for him in the primary. Go away Bernie."

Most people in America on average support "another guy" in the primary. The only genuinely unacceptable one running is Tulsi Gabbard imo. Bernie is actually running to try and win and govern. No idea what Gabbard is up to but it's not authentic whatever it is.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
It's funny how "we don't need Bernie any more" until he spotlights the next policy position that other dems have to copy/paste.

Its also why I'm side eyeing all of these comments about how "oh look at everyone else adopting Bernies proposals we don't need him".

Yeah...but what are they actually going to do when given power?

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Uh no shit we should. Idk why the heck we give that state even money tbh. Its right up there with Saudi, if not worse due to their outright blatant disrespect of UN accords.

Speaking of that, Sanders has also signalled support for renegotiating weapons contracts and aid to Saudi Arabia as well over the yemen war...after Trump vetoed the Yemen resolution that passed both houses of congress that he spearheaded...