• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing anti-semitism.
A spokeswoman for Sen. Bernie Sanders's (I-Vt.) 2020 presidential campaign apologized Tuesday after making "insensitive" remarks on Facebook questioning American Jews's "dual loyalty" to Israel.

"In a conversation on Facebook, I used some language that I see now was insensitive. Issues of allegiance and loyalty to one's country come with painful history," she told Politico.

"At a time when so many communities in our country feel under attack by the president and his allies, I absolutely recognize that we need to address these issues with greater care and sensitivity to their historical resonance, and I'm committed to doing that in the future," she continued.

In a since-deleted Facebook post, first reported by Politico, Sanders's national deputy press secretary Belén Sisa questioned whether U.S. Jews hold dual loyalty to the U.S. and Israel.

"This is a serious question: Do you not think that the American government and American Jewish community has a dual allegiance to the State of Israel? I'm asking not to rule out the history of this issue, but in the context in which this was said by Ilhan," Sisa wrote in a Facebook thread, according to Politico.

Sisa said she supported comments made by Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar(D) about Israel, according to the outlet.

Later in the discussion Sisa was asked whether Sanders, who is Jewish, has shown loyalty to Israel.

"I think I would probably have to ask him," she reportedly responded. "But his comments make me believe otherwise as he has been very blunt on where he stands."

Sisa apologized in a statement to Politico after her posts were reported by the news outlet.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...-apologizes-for-insensitive-comments-relating

This is getting infuriating. I'm gonna need everyone on Omar's side to stop tiptoeing and apologizing over every sentence. Explain what you mean in the context of the conversation.

We're never going to get absolutely anywhere when just the basic language of questioning the relationship between the US and Israel is stigmatized and people keep being cowards about being criticized rather than pushing the narrative.

Omar herself apologized, and that is just legitimizing the charge that she's an antisemite when she isnt. Stop apologizing and start explaining why your critical of Israel and the israeli lobby when confronted.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
That comment is significantly worse than anything Omar said imo and should probably be firable. Reminds me of old anti-Catholic shit.

Last edited:

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So yea, she just basically did this with her original Facebook post: "not to be anti-Semitic but <insert anti Semitic statement>."

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That comment is significantly worse than anything Omar said imo and should probably be firable. Reminds me of old anti-Catholic shit.

Also, Your link is missing, OP.

this is why the context matters. Instead of deleting her post and apologizing, she should have doubled down and said the non soundbite part, that the israeli lobby DOES has deep ties in the far right jewish(and evangelical christian) aspects of those communities as well as the US government, which is why the lobby is so powerful.

Explaining your position rather than backtracking and further allowing the controversy to take hold does nothing about the israeli state or the people involved. Fuck optics and say what you really mean when questioned.

If you dont mean jewish people in general but those trying to shut down discussion on israeli politics, its important to not give an inch because its not just your rep on the line but everyone trying to start that conversation

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is getting infuriating. I'm gonna need everyone on Omar's side to stop tiptoeing and apologizing over every sentence. Explain what you mean in the context of the conversation.

Dude this comment from the Sanders aid actually specifically accuses American Jews of dual loyalty.... worse the comment also makes it sound like Omar said that too... which she did not.

You dishonor Omar by tying it to her.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dude this comment from the Sanders aid actually specifically accuses American Jews of dual loyalty.... worse the comment also makes it sound like Omar said that too... which she did not.

Realistically speaking, it is tied to her at least tangentially, since she's the one who has really put the conversation out there.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
this is why the context matters. Instead of deleting her post and apologizing, she should have doubled down and said the non soundbite part, that the israeli lobby DOES has deep ties in the far right jewish(and evangelical christian) aspects of those communities as well as the US government, which is why the lobby is so powerful.

Explaining your position rather than backtracking and further allowing the controversy to take hold does nothing about the israeli state or the people involved. Fuck optics and say what you really mean when questioned.

If you dont mean jewish people in general but those trying to shut down discussion on israeli politics, its important to not give an inch because its not just your rep on the line but everyone trying to start that conversation
But she specifically said "the American Jewish community", which has nothing whatsoever to do with AIPAC. Conflating the two just plays into Israel's hands by linking all of Judaism to Israel.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
she actually said what people wrongfully accused omar of saying which is textbook anti-semitism

Yeah which makes the OP saying this person shouldn't have apologized really weird

The argument with Omar is that she literally did not say what this aid said

Defending the aid is basically suggesting you think Omar did say it and that that's ok.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah which makes the OP saying this person shouldn't have apologized really weird

The argument with Omar is that she literally did not say what this aid said

Defending the aid is basically suggesting you think Omar did say it and that that's ok.

it's also just defending blatant anti-semitism which is a pretty shit thing to do

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Again, this is why we need people to explain their positions rather than backtracking, because then people will fill in your meaning for you. This woman is a Sanders aid, clearly she doesn't think Sanders has a dual allegiance to israel if she feels so strongly about the issue right? Clearly she would not be in his campaign if that was what she thought?

WHen she says the American goverment and American jews it can be taken a completely different way....a big portion of the left feels that the right wing portion of the jewish lobby in America and the goverment that would make it against the law to boycott the state of israel(which is unconstitutional) are creating this situation where Omar is under siege just by her benign comments.

But because this woman backtracked instead of explaining that, it becomes about what she meant by those statements rather than a real conversation over the facts of the state of israel's power in the US.

It hurts the cause in general. That's why i'm mad.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
For once, I wish the topic of politicians working on the interests of Isreal gets put in the forefront without being forced back in the defensive.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Again, this is why we need people to explain their positions rather than backtracking, because then people will fill in your meaning for you. This woman is a Sanders aid, clearly she doesn't think Sanders has a dual allegiance to israel if she feels so strongly about the issue right? Clearly she would not be in his campaign if that was what she thought?

WHen she says the American goverment and American jews it can be taken a completely different way....a big portion of the left feels that the right wing portion of the jewish lobby in America and the goverment that would make it against the law to boycott the state of israel(which is unconstitutional) are creating this situation where Omar is under siege just by her benign comments.

But because this woman backtracked instead of explaining that, it becomes about what she meant by those statements rather than a real explanation over the facts of the state of israel's power in the US.

Or maybe the Sanders aid shouldn't have made blatant anti-Semitic comments

Like dude you're correctly arguing Omar is getting shit on for something she didn't say.... while defending someone who actually said the shit Omar didn't say

You get this right?

it's also just defending blatant anti-semitism which is a pretty shit thing to do

Yep

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The difference is ilhan Omar was talking about ALL Americans. This aid was specifically talking about American Jews and this case it is bigotry

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
2020 primary stuff, goes in the 2020 primary thread

Status
Not open for further replies.