• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
D9DPlslXYAI72b4.jpg:large

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ResetERA: "OP, don't do it! Don't make the clickbait thread title!"

OP:

1554758816500.gif

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain it was on DVD. I remember renting it in the early 2000's from my local library. I'm really curious if they ever made a Blu-ray. But if they put the shitty sequel on the Blu-ray with it I will probably not purchase it. LOL
It's never made it to Blu-Ray, though if they did bundle the sequel I could always use a free coaster.

There's been a few DVD releases, but there's a ton of reports of audio problems with them which is unfortunate.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer the animated versions of all those characters to their live action counter parts.

Gollum, Gandalf, and Frodo are fucking perfect.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Agreed. The Hobbit has a unique charm to it and does a better job of adapting the source material than the live action trilogy.

I think it has to do with the folk music movement of the 70s. I think that the trend for fashion and furniture and music to embrace the earthy tones of the forest made it a perfect time for something with the themes and setting of Tolkien's work.

I can't stress it enough that the music is so damn good. I have the soundtrack going right now in fact.

I have to be honest, I had a GIF of that very same picture that I was going to post in the op right before I explain myself. But two reasons: I wanted the point I made about the films to be taking a bit more seriously and not have people think I'm high, and also I could not get Giphycat to work...lol

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fairly certain it was on DVD. I remember renting it in the early 2000's from my local library. I'm really curious if they ever made a Blu-ray. But if they put the shitty sequel on the Blu-ray with it I will probably not purchase it. LOL
The aren't on blu ray, here in the states anyway. I got both on Vudu in HD and they look really nice! I'd recommend that ha.

Also, as everyone else has already pointed out, amazing thread title.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
The Battle in the animated Hobbit movie lasts 2min. tops, one of the reasons the movie is so lame. That battle could be a whole 3hr movie onto itself, now THAT would be a movie.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
So this thread with this title lives, but a thread about Jenny Nicholson speaking the truth can't because it makes men mad? I see.

Both threads have a very different intention behind them. I just made a joke and wanted to share my love of the Hobbit animated movie.

It's all love in here.

giphy.gif
The Rankin-Bass movies are the shit, even ROTK.

NOT THOU ARAGORN.

Man, it's maybe not as terrible as I thought, but it's still super short and too condensed. Maybe it's just that it's a huge disappointment after the genius of The Hobbit.

BUT GODDAMN THAT MUSIC IS SO FIRE

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
I clicked expecting the comparison, but got lost with the praise for The Hobbit and totally forgot about the thread title.

Oct 27, 2017
i really only like the first fellowship of the ring. two towers is so awkward, with the forced unnamed kids and family, and bad hyenas. i did love the first ending of return of the king, where frodo and sam say they're glad to be together here at the end of all things. above everything else i love the supplemental material from all the dvds. they use every single film making technique to express their vision.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
i really only like the first fellowship of the ring. two towers is so awkward, with the forced unnamed kids and family, and bad hyenas. i did love the first ending of return of the king, where frodo and sam say they're glad to be together here at the end of all things. above everything else i love the supplemental material from all the dvds. they use every single film making technique to express their vision.

Oh absolutely. Jackson's trilogy is a masterpiece. Sure, there are a few bland spots and some bad decisions (like those you mentioned), but all in all, three of my favorite films of all time.

Dec 22, 2017
Oh absolutely. Jackson's trilogy is a masterpiece. Sure, there are a few bland spots and some bad decisions (like those you mentioned), but all in all, three of my favorite films of all time.

It took me a long time to come around on Jackon's vision, but I do love the movies now. Best decision he made was filming it on location in NZ. At first I was disappointed by how "grounded" and realistic it was compared to how I always imagined Middle Earth as a kid, but it has and will stand the test of time. So many other movies from a decade ago have aged poorly due to the shitty cgi backdrops.

The casting was pretty fantastic too.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I have a confession to make. Every time I revisit this animated movie I always forget that that is not Leonard Nimoy but John Houston.

It took me a long time to come around on Jackon's vision, but I do love the movies now. Best decision he made was filming it on location in NZ. At first I was disappointed by how "grounded" and realistic it was compared to how I always imagined Middle Earth as a kid, but it has and will stand the test of time. So many other movies from a decade ago have aged poorly due to the shitty cgi backdrops.

The casting was pretty fantastic too.

The first film is still one of the best experiences of my adult life. I was very hesitant when I saw them announcing some of the actors, seeing a lot of them as having small and insignificant roles. I didn't think Sean Astin could act. The trailer looks decent but was a bit underwhelming except for that magnificent mountain group shot. I knew it was going to be a long while I went in expecting a ton of changes to the source material.

Immediately I loved the intro with Galadriel, but man the CGI to me was terrible, especially the scene in Mt Doom with Elrond. I was going to say that I enjoyed the intro at least when Frodo got on the cart and "concerning hobbits" started playing and my heart skipped a beat and I was hooked. The only problems I had were that I had some college kids behind me and the girls did not want to be there, they were the type they were giggling at every little line and laughed when Gandolf died, "finally". We also had an 8 year old kid who kept yelling out but that turned out to actually be the best moment from the movie because when Aragorn decapitates that orc, the kid yelled out "awesome!" and we all got a good laugh out of that.

I went home and my girlfriend at the time asked me how it was and I said you won't believe it, and she said "oh my God it's even worse than you thought I was going to be?" I said that this may be the best movie I have ever seen. She was shook. We went back the next night together. I was still tearing up at Gandalf's fall. She pushed a Kleenex in my face and I yanked my head away, annoyed at her mocking me. She wasn't. She was a sobbing mess.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like half the people think that The Hobbit was horrible and needed to be remade but then the other half the people find it one of the greatest pieces of animation from the last 50 years.

tumblr_inline_p7g3ouJglO1szmjhd_540.gif

The charming acting, the beautiful landscapes, the catchy as all hell songs. Watching this before Jackson's LOTR trilogy, some cocoa, a warm fire: this is exactly what I needed on a chilly fall afternoon.

The sequel Rankin and Bass made was so bland.
Under the disguise of being a sequel to the rotoscoped, horrible and never completed Lord of the Rings, it condensed three books into one very bad movie that only resembled the hobbit and it's art style, but none of its charm.

MV5BMTcxNzUxNjExNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcwMjgxMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The only thing that may make it worth remembering is the incredible "where there's a whip there's away" song. Which had a pretty phenomenal metal remake.

i've made a huge mistake.
but, my favorite gollum isn't this one

it's this one

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Very clever title and you certainly got a reaction form me, so bravo. I also agree with you.

Dec 22, 2017
I have a confession to make. Every time I revisit this animated movie I always forget that that is not Leonard Nimoy but John Houston.

The first film is still one of the best experiences of my adult life. I was very hesitant when I saw them announcing some of the actors, seeing a lot of them as having small and insignificant roles. I didn't think Sean Astin could act. The trailer looks decent but was a bit underwhelming except for that magnificent mountain group shot. I knew it was going to be a long while I went in expecting a ton of changes to the source material.

Immediately I loved the intro with Galadriel, but man the CGI to me was terrible, especially the scene in Mt Doom with Elrond. I was going to say that I enjoyed the intro at least when Frodo got on the cart and "concerning hobbits" started playing and my heart skipped a beat and I was hooked. The only problems I had were that I had some college kids behind me and the girls did not want to be there, they were the type they were giggling at every little line and laughed when Gandolf died, "finally". We also had an 8 year old kid who kept yelling out but that turned out to actually be the best moment from the movie because when Aragorn decapitates that orc, the kid yelled out "awesome!" and we all got a good laugh out of that.

I went home and my girlfriend at the time asked me how it was and I said you won't believe it, and she said "oh my God it's even worse than you thought I was going to be?" I said that this may be the best movie I have ever seen. She was shook. We went back the next night together. I was still tearing up at Gandalf's fall. She pushed a Kleenex in my face and I yanked my head away, annoyed at her mocking me. She wasn't. She was a sobbing mess.

My biggest beef with the entire trilogy is that opening scene.

Awesome recap though.