• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
About fucking time. I just recently purchased the EE of the first three films digitally but would absolutely dive in for 4K.

As for Hobbit I know I'm in the minority but I loved the HFR. I felt it added to the surrealism of the films. I'm not normally a fan of the technique but I'd bite on it in this case

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
LOTR was shot using digital camera I think, that way visual effects were easier to implement
All three started filming around 1997, it was definitely shot on film. Attack of the Clones was the first major movie to use digital.

Even new movies like Endgame are finished at 2K, but HDR alone should be a big upgrade.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the extended Blu-rays a few months back, so no way I'm getting this anytime soon lol. Glad to see it finally getting the 4K treatment though. GOAT-tier films.

Also I feel like a single-movie cut of Hobbit could be awesome, especially if it followed the book. None of that Azog trash and whatnot.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the amount of CG, I assume they'll be upscaled?

No way, two 100GB discs per film please to maximise picture quality.
The EE blu-ray use two 50GB discs, with H.265 a single 100GB disc should be doable without much of a quality loss, but I wouldn't be surprised by two 66GB discs.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will purchase! Would be great if they got in and fixed some things but don't want them to go overboard.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't bought LOTR since the DVD versions since I heard about the colour grading being a bit wack on the Blu Rays.

If they fix it, I'll buy these ones.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt there another extended cut for ROTK that had an even longer epilogue? (not released) Or enough scenes that were filmed and that if they wanted to could make a longer cut*

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Shame the making-of documentaries were filmed in 16mm and will look rather poor whatever they do.
It's about time all of that content is condensed onto a single Blu-ray disc. I can't see them including three DVDs for each LOTR movie anymore.

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt there another extended cut for ROTK that had an even longer epilogue? (not released) Or enough scenes that were filmed and that if they wanted to could make a longer cut*
Yep, Jackson has teased Super Extended Editions. He has more footage for all three movies. WB wouldn't give him funding to do more special features stuff for the last boxset, so it remains to be seen what will become of future movie and behind the scenes material.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually really like there to be a condensed version without all the "current day" stuff with Frodo. As it is watching it before LOTR doesn't make sense.

I hear there's a fan edit called "The Hobbit: The Bilbo Edition" that's pretty good (slims it down to 4½ hours or somesuch), but I've never tried it. Must do one of these days.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
My preferred versions are FOTR Theatrical, TT Extended, ROTK theatrical. I wish they would release each movie as separate discs.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping they include the theatrical versions too, FOTR really suffers in the directors cut which isn't a surprise as it was a nearly perfect film to begin with.

My girlfriend and I just recently watched the Maple films edit of the Hobbit trilogy and to my surprise - it was pretty good! there are some compromises in there for sure but I liked it well enough that it will probably become part of our annual re watch of LOTR.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I'm hoping they include the theatrical versions too, FOTR really suffers in the directors cut which isn't a surprise as it was a nearly perfect film to begin with.

My girlfriend and I just recently watched the Maple films edit of the Hobbit trilogy and to my surprise - it was pretty good! there are some compromises in there for sure but I liked it well enough that it will probably become part of our annual re watch of LOTR.

The best thing about Fellowship is Galadriel and there's a whole section that's cut from the theatrical version. The Extended version is where it's at in my book

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I guess there's the chance they might fix the color grading in FOTR.
Yes please, why is it so hard

EE was a little better than the theatrical but it could still use more help.

I hope they fix it. I had to fix it on my own and I'm pretty pleased with the results. If anyone wants to fix their existing BR, you can follow this guide:

www.howtogeek.com

How to Fix the Green Tint in the <em>Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring</em> Extended Edition Blu-Ray

The Lord of the Rings is easily my favorite movie of all time. (Which one, you ask? All three, obviously.) But the latest Blu-Ray collection has one glaring problem.

The one catch is they set the compression settings so it'll fit on a burnable blu ray disc. I had to adjust the settings to minimize the compression and made it comparable to the size of the raw rip to minimize the impact of encoding it again. Otherwise, it's a pretty simple process to do.

What are the chances that I won't have to switch discs partway through the EE?

I also fixed this by ripping and joining the two parts into a single movie. Realistically, the extended edition is going to be on two discs so I'll just have to rip and merge them whenever this comes out.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about Fellowship is Galadriel and there's a whole section that's cut from the theatrical version. The Extended version is where it's at in my book

The EEs of all three are the superior versions, without any question. People who prefer the theatricals of any of the three are bizarre. They're all MUCH better movies in EE form.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
People who prefer the theatricals of any of the three are bizarre.
Keep in mind that includes Peter Jackson :) I don't think the extended editions are necessarily "superior" versions, just different.

I personally like the Extended Editions and find them a "slog". Some I like because they fill in more details from the book, some because they remove really stupid things that were in the theatrical edition (Aragorn dreaming of kissing his girlfriend, and waking up kissing a horse). I've never minded long movies, and I don't think the pacing suffers too much from the changes to the theatrical edition. But I still like the theatrical editions too, for the most part.

Last edited:

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Please let PJ actually put together a real set this time with extra features and whatever.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely want the HFS versions of the Hobbit, but I think it needs to be on Ultra HD Blu-Ray for that feature. Now that can happen!

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
If you can get through all 3 LOTR extended editions, then i tip my hat. There's a reason those got edited and ROTK was a slog to say the least.

I've done the extended editioon marathons multiple times and had absolutely no issues. They are actually far superior films and address many continuity complaints I've had with the theatrical releases.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Awesome! The 20th anniversary is fast approaching, too. Jackson had said in an interview that he'd love to release another version of the films that includes even more footage not seen in the Extended Editions. I hope he is able to.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
So since this is a German site, is this only in Europe? Or will it be in NA, as well?

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I've been holding off on buying the trilogy for so long in hopes of a 4k release.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
This would be lovely. Hopefully there'll be a way to just purchase LOTR, though. No desire for the rest of that bloated nonsense.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yesss, give it to me.

God I hope these are good. And 100% give me the 60fps Hobbit conversion.

Weren't they filmed at 48 fps though? I'm not quite sure how well the conversion would work and as far as I know, there's no way to display 48 fps off a UHD or on a 4K TV.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Extended Editions (1 disc each), Dolby Vision (or standard HDR at least), Dolby Atmos and an option to watch The Hobbit in 48fps will all be required before I consider buying again (although I never bought Hobbit series).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Will this contain all of the extras? I remember the 2 disc dvd sets had different extras compared to the 4 disc EE, which was nice and gave value to each