• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest tragedy (for me) was that the original The Mountain actor (Conan Stevens) from Game of Thrones actually left GoT to play an Orc...and then his entire role was cut when they extended it from two the three movies to make more money. Instead of filming reshoots, they decided to replace him with a CGI character. So we lost the best (and most scary) Mountain from GoT, and also an amazing costume for The Hobbit.

Here is what he was supposed to be in The Hobbit (costume):

DSViQ7DVQAAZWDr.jpg

Here is what the character ended up being (CGI):

6ca7a5f06f76ba52253581ee439e4087.png

It's very sad how bad it looks in comparison to the physical costume.

i am mad

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Compared to the forced perspective work that went into the original trilogy

They had the technique already required to film forced perspective, but everything about the Hobbit films screams "rushed productions."

They actually COULDN'T do that, because the studio demanded the film be shot in 3D, which wouldn't work with forced perspective...

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
OP, have you tried the Maple Films fanedit?

www.maple-films.com

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit is in the running for Fan Edit of the Month on Fanedit.org! If you enjoyed this edit, please cast a vote in its favor! And while you're on the website, leave a nice review...

This fan edit has been created using only the highest-quality media available...full HD Bluray and 5.1 surround sound. Working with 5.1 has given me far more options for audio editing than a simple stereo track. Here's just a sample of some of the work I've done on the film.
  • A 532 minute trilogy cut to a single 247 minute film
  • Well over 600 actual edits and trims made
  • An Intermission splits the film in half, at the exact point where Peter Jackson originally intended to split the Hobbit when it was still two films.
  • Overall, the film remains focused on Bilbo and the dwarves. Unnecessary subplots, characters, and CGI silliness have been jettisoned. That means no Tauriel.
  • Color corrected in several sequences to match LOTR's visuals more.
  • Numerous digital alterations, including a new opening title, gold coating removed from Smaug, Radagast erased from an eagle flyover shot, etc.
  • Orc subtitles altered to explain plot adjustments
  • Several unused music cues by Howard Shore have been re-inserted in key scenes, including the famous Misty Mountains theme that was abandoned after AUJ.
  • Various scenes from the Extended Editions have also been added where needed. Yes, Thorin's funeral is in here.

CelticKennedy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2019
Ehhh....Definitely not as good as LOTR. But I still dug them. I was fine with the more whimsy vibes because that's also how the book felt to me compared to the later ones. I didn't even mind all the CG really or the 48fps in the theater.

My only real gripe is how they were spread out for three movies. I would of liked one 3 hour film, cutting all the bullshit or maybe just two parts.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
The difference from The Hobbit films is that this happens very quickly and is slightly obscured. It's not so glaring.

If they'd done that shot in the hobbit he would have continued to jump from horse to horse for 15 seconds, then get picked up by a giant eagle, ride it standing on top as the camera comes in and settles on top of his arrow, which it then follows as it gets shot through a dozen orcs that happen to be lined up perfectly.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I never got all the hate for these really. Sure, they definitely aren't as good as The Lord of the Rings Trilogy but they are still well made, entertaining movies, even with some silly CGI scenes here and there.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
The execs tried to exert too much pressure on Del Toro who bailed and then they begged Peter Jackson who had a few months of pre production time compared to the years he had for LOTR. A lot of it was made up on the spot apparently.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never knew about the background info and how little time Jackson had to prepare. Makes a lot more sense, I adore the LOTR Trilogy but the Hobbit films are an abomination, that fucking barrel scene scarred me forever. Will never watch those movies again and I try not to think about them.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People should really watch that behind the scenes video that was linked earlier.

Jackson got thrown into the mix and got told he had 8 months to prep for shooting the films back to back when he had something like 20 months to prep for the original trilogy.

Most of the sets, costumes, and props weren't completed. So they would attempt to reuse stuff from the first films and if that failed the only other answer was to use CGI.

He got handed a bag of shit and did the best he could with it.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
"Absolutely disgusting" is such a white thing to say. Sounds awfully entitled.

But yeah, I don't like the movies, and still wouldn't like them even if they didn't have all that bad CG.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I tried a few times but could never get past the first hour of the original because it was boring as bat shit.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's actually astounding how awful these films were

though I can kinda derive some enjoyment from the first one, and I have a bit of nostalgia for that point in my life so it's an added perk

but fuck did the sequels kills me

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest tragedy (for me) was that the original The Mountain actor (Conan Stevens) from Game of Thrones actually left GoT to play an Orc...and then his entire role was cut when they extended it from two the three movies to make more money. Instead of filming reshoots, they decided to replace him with a CGI character. So we lost the best (and most scary) Mountain from GoT, and also an amazing costume for The Hobbit.

DSViQ7DVQAAZWDr.jpg

Fucking HELL! I always wondered why that orc looked so awful. What a missed opportunity.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda incredible how timeless the original trilogy looks and how already stupid the Hobbit movies look like.

MAKES U THINK

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017

This is such a bizarre shot. lol. It looks like he's about to go up the correct side then suddenly somebody pressed the mirror animation button and he inexplicably goes up the other.

It seems like they did it because the other horses running into the shot would have obscured his mounting and they couldn't reshoot it (why would you for something so innocuous) and so they just decided "fuck it".

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda incredible how timeless the original trilogy looks and how already stupid the Hobbit movies look like.

MAKES U THINK
Reliance on practical effects and effective use of miniatures over an abundance of CGI.

Netflix and the Jim Henson Company did the right thing with The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance as a prequel to The Dark Crystal. Peter Jackson and co didn't.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it even a hot take to say the SW prequels are better than the Hobbit movies? Whenever I see a Hobbit film while scrolling through my TV channels, never once do I settle on watching it. Occasionally I'll watch some prequel stuff.

The prequels are a lot shorter, so its less of your time wasted, but overall I'd say they're on par with each other in shittiness.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I liked these films when they released.
I loved them when the extended cuts released.

I think that the hate for them is underserved, ok they were not LOTR quality, but they beat any other fantasy movies any day. Most people i know loved them too.

Music, direction, cinematography are all top notch even if some CGi scenes were somewhat excessive (peter jackson was forced to do them due to short time i understood).

Come at me.....

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
This is such a bizarre shot. lol. It looks like he's about to go up the correct side then suddenly somebody pressed the mirror animation button and he inexplicably goes up the other.

It seems like they did it because the other horses running into the shot would have obscured his mounting and they couldn't reshoot it (why would you for something so innocuous) and so they just decided "fuck it".
If I remember correctly from the extras, Orlando had an injury on his foot or something making it quite difficult for him to get on the horse so they CG'd him.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I have zero issue with the weird, quasi-cartoony visual style since it's the fucking hobbit, not the silmarillion, but the fact that the films drag on so long really hurts them. The first movie was pretty good but I don't think I even could stand to consider watching the third after the second.

Honestly what they really needed was something along the lines of this song with its rock-jazz-fusion sort of sound which was very timely of the era, the closest analog to which in the modern day would have been GOBLIN DUBSTEP. I don't even like that sort of dubstep much but I think we needed goblin dubstep in the context of this film.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
no. Legolas is exerting a force down, there's nothing to exert acounter force to leap upwards from. Unless he's literally got anti gravity boots it's impossible to do this.
Elves are sort of weird. Like in Fellowship of the Ring, Legolas is able to walk on top of snow. And Legolas and Gimli have no problem sharing a horse.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
"Absolutely disgusting" is such a white thing to say. Sounds awfully entitled.

But yeah, I don't like the movies, and still wouldn't like them even if they didn't have all that bad CG.

The American ability to turn everything into a race thing knows no bounds.

Personally I avoided all of the films after I saw a trailer that seemed to basically consist of comedy dwarves.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Even though the films are way overlong I felt the extended editions were much better. The 2nd movie in particular is way better with the additional scenes, everything in it way more fleshed out. The battle in the third movie in the extended cut is so over the top grotesque, it's actually the closest to OG Peter Jackson that he's been in years.

Visuals wise I think a lot of the scenes are really striking and they look stunning on Blu-ray and on a good display but the weird Vaseline filter or whatever they did to the films was a really strange choice.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
no. Legolas is exerting a force down, there's nothing to exert acounter force to leap upwards from. Unless he's literally got anti gravity boots it's impossible to do this.
The mass of the falling blocks is where the counter force comes from. Much in the same way that you can step onto a conveyor belt in the wrong direction and walk forward if you move your legs fast enough, there's nothing theoretically invalid about kicking off a rock that happens to be moving downward.

Similarly, if you're in outer space and holding a rock, and you throw it in one direction, you will accelerate in the opposite direction. For some frames of reference, you were going one way before throwing the rock and the opposite way after throwing the rock.

The extent to which it violates the laws of physics has little to do with why that scene sucks, though.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think the main difference (there are lots of problems) was the lack of detailed miniatures. To me this gave the LotR a fantastic visual quality. It still had some distractedly bad cgi at times but I think it was a landmark film. I'd love to see more films rely less on cgi and try to use it as an addition to make a great looking film. That's not even getting started on the fantastic make up and wardrobe in the three films.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
So much stuff about the Hobbit irks me.

LOTR dialogue "Dark have been my dreams of late..." to Hobbit "THE MAGIC SHIELD IS DOWN"
This like one shot that stands out in an entire sequence that remains otherwise grounded.

Literally every action scene Legolas is in The Hobbit feels like this 5 second gif.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Not a single shit was given regarding the CGI when I watched them. Even when I rewatched them. Fun as hell trilogy. I do a rewatch almost every start of winter and this thread will not change anything for me. Probably because I don't watch movies for the sole reason to find what is wrong with them, but just enjoy if possible.

Oct 25, 2017

DSViQ7DVQAAZWDr.jpg

It's crazy how that character was then recycled into the EE editions as the Keeper of the Dungeons who tortures Gandalf.

Also from what I read running in high FPS then caused the colours to become messed up, and the lower light levels taken in by the digital HFR cameras compared to traditional film cameras meant that all colours on costumes, makeup and sets had to be overly saturated to appear 'normal' on camera.

I guess some of the bloom effect is there to mask that?

Edit: that said after recently seeing all the EEs for the first time, and back to back, having not seen any of them since the theatrical release they were okay? 5/10 material on the whole? Not as bad as I remember.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the barrel scene immensely and no one can tell me otherwise (except the random use of GoPro, what were they thinking???)