• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The biggest tragedy (for me) was that the original The Mountain actor (Conan Stevens) from Game of Thrones actually left GoT to play an Orc...and then his entire role was cut when they extended it from two the three movies to make more money. Instead of filming reshoots, they decided to replace him with a CGI character. So we lost the best (and most scary) Mountain from GoT, and also an amazing costume for The Hobbit.

Here is what he was supposed to be in The Hobbit (costume):

DSViQ7DVQAAZWDr.jpg

Here is what the character ended up being (CGI):

6ca7a5f06f76ba52253581ee439e4087.png

It's very sad how bad it looks in comparison to the physical costume.

Never knew this, he was so much better than the replacement

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are some good but there are LOTS of bad in the hobbit films. The first film really made me think it was going to be great. Sadly, it was not, the last one is just pure garbage.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Feels bad because I was really anticipating the film when i first heard it was being made. I loved the book. Unfortunately it was the first movie that made me fall asleep.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
It's really impressive how they started with a shitty mediocre movie and made each subsequent sequel even shittier.

Utter trash.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Those gifs are horrendous. I recently finished the first trilogy. Have hobbit trilogy here waiting....might just give it a miss

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I've spent countless hours teqrchint the LOTR EE's and yet I cannot imagine how anyone could sit through these films more than once . Such disappointments

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest tragedy (for me) was that the original The Mountain actor (Conan Stevens) from Game of Thrones actually left GoT to play an Orc...and then his entire role was cut when they extended it from two the three movies to make more money. Instead of filming reshoots, they decided to replace him with a CGI character. So we lost the best (and most scary) Mountain from GoT, and also an amazing costume for The Hobbit.

DSViQ7DVQAAZWDr.jpg

Dude that costume is aces. What the hell Peter Jackson!

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

DSViQ7DVQAAZWDr.jpg

wow that's sad

I even recognized the design because games workshop had made a miniature based on it for its Hobbit line lol

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why Legolas was a superhero in the Hobbit movies, yet by the time of the LotR, he became much less superhero, although still some hints of superhero like the shield surfing. LotR Legolas is retroactively nerfed Legolas.

Feb 1, 2018
but muh 48fps cinema

They literally shot these movies semi-simultaneously in the same studio and then separated them into 3 different films released on a schedule for maximum franchise milking. Of course the VFX/cinematography/production design is gonna be half-assed

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember getting out of the first one and thinking "This was....okay. They've got time to salvage it in the other two."
And then getting out of the second one and thinking "This was...not great. Still, though, there's some highlights, and maybe they can bring it home."
I didn't go to see the third one.
But eventually, I did see it and I remember thinking "Okay. Maybe there's one good movie here that can be saved by fans?"
Never really thought it was worth the effort though. Such a shame. LotR deserved an awesome Hobbit prequel.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
They look alright, although I'm not a fan of some of the CG.

These movies make some people on this forum lose their minds and go into hyperbolic rants that should be reserved only for the Star Wars prequels and Zack Snyder's DC films.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jackson was brought into these movies last minute and was basically putting them together as they were being filmed. It's no real surprise that they were a catastrophe.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why Legolas was a superhero in the Hobbit movies, yet by the time of the LotR, he became much less superhero, although still some hints of superhero like the shield surfing. LotR Legolas is retroactively nerfed Legolas.
Same problem as the Prequels. Characters like Yoda are suddenly pinballing around doing flips, while old people in the OT were like old people.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Jackson was brought into these movies last minute and was basically putting them together as they were being filmed. It's no real surprise that they were a catastrophe.
People conveniently forget this when they want to blame Jackson for being a money grubber who made three bad films on purpose, which is an absurd premise even without the well documented facts of the situation.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
3 long movies, and there are really only 3 good scenes in the trilogy.

1. Everything at Bag End at the start
2. Riddles In The Dark
3. Bilbo meets Smaug

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
I have a tendency to enjoy good aspects in a film and ignore the bad ones. So it's all fond memories for me remembering the film:
- All of the first film was magical, like a fairy tale inside the Middle Earth world. The eagle rescue is peak beautiful. The barrel ride is ok-ish, too fast to see anything.
- Smaug is fucking good in all of his scenes. I rewatch his scenes from time to time.
- The swagger Elf King lol.
- Lake - Town in the third film is well done and looks good.
- Dwarf on pig.
- Elf on Malorn... eh white stag.
- Galadriel.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
When I heard they were making The Hobbit as a trilogy, I rolled my eyes and assumed it was going to be the biggest piece of shit in the history of cinema. My expectations were rock bottom. As a result, I ended up thinking they were pretty OK.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The one thing that really stands out on how unfinished and bad it looked was the melted gold from the second movie. It honestly looked like pre-production footage

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Smaug looked pretty cool. Didn't really enjoy much beyond him though. It's absolutely staggering just how much better the LoTR trilogy compares with the Hobbit trilogy visually.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The last movie was like a stone throw away from being Warhammer Fantasy. Too bad they never tossed that stone

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
The one thing that really stands out on how unfinished and bad it looked was the melted gold from the second movie. It honestly looked like pre-production footage

This as well as the CG Dain are some of the worst effects I've seen for a blockbuster movie in the theater. My mouth was wide open when Dain started speaking in the third movie.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The only way I'll ever watch any of those movies again is if it's a 3-to-1 spliced version like it should've been in the first place jesus twiggin' fuck

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The original trailer for The Hobbit is aesthetically and tonally so on-point. In retrospect, they clearly cherrpicked the best shots and misrepresented the film (or trilogy, I guess) as upholding the same weight and dignity of the LOTR trilogy. Instead, the films not only look like smeared shit, but are also cartoonish and campy in all the worst ways.

We all deserved this movie:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The hobbit movies are ok. Many great pieces on each movie. The first movie is the best, and very enjoyable.

Oct 26, 2017
The original trailer for The Hobbit is aesthetically and tonally so on-point. In retrospect, they clearly cherrpicked the best shots and misrepresented the film (or trilogy, I guess) as upholding the same weight and dignity of the LOTR trilogy. Instead, the films not only look like smeared shit, but are also cartoonish and campy in all the worst ways.

That looks so good. I want to watch that movie 😭

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
People really need to research The Hobbit trilogy production or the very least watch Lindsay Ellis's take on it. Jackson was thrown into direct it due to Del Toro's departure.

I've seen her take, she can only speculate as to why he would allow the studio to push through this absolute mess of a production. She provides no conclusive opinion on why Jackson allowed himself to be involved with this disaster.

End of the day he's listed as director and producer along with his production company. He needed to push to push back against the money men. He gave up the good fight and that's on him. Weak.

That's not really a fair assessment. Jackson tried desperately to save it.

I'm sure he felt obligated to finish the shit show, but Tel Toro bailing was the warning for him to go back to money men and fight for the picture.

Between his abject weakness on the production and how he closed his eyes to allow the actor union in NZ to be sold down the river. I am absolutely disappointed in Jackson.

Having said all that, I concede that I have no inner knowledge of what happened on the production and perhaps he was trying to figure out a way to make the film as good as it could be given that the studio would have proceeded with someone else at the helm with worse results. So that's my offer at providing some balance to my criticism :P

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017

To be honest, just them being two movies rather than 3 would have been a massive improvement. With the first movie covering all the way to the barrel escape and the second one starting in Laketown. Much more focused, probably less dumb shit padding them and the final movie going from Smaug to the Battle in one film would have been insane pacing wise.

Poster for the first film before they decided to make 3 movies:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

I forgot how great that trailer was. Damn.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I enjoy the first movie, it's sort of a nice light-hearted adventure that reintroduces you to the world of Middle Earth. The scenes with the trolls and Gollum's riddles are fun, Radagast is kind of charming and silly, and the climactic ending with the dwarves and Azog is tense and exciting. The Goblin King is amusingly disgusting.

The sequels are bloated amusement park rides with some paltry amount of good in them. When they stick close to the source material, they're fine movies (Bilbo's confrontation with Smaug for example), but there's way too much fat like the Tauriel relationship, Legolas the conflicted scion, the fishing village people, etc. The third movie is the most serious offender as others have said, since it's just three hours of an excruciatingly boring battle.

Also, Thorin may be one of the most annoying characters put on screen. How many times is this guy going to distrust somebody only to have to be reasoned with again?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
To be honest, just them being two movies rather than 3 would have been a massive improvement. With the first movie covering all the way to the barrel escape and the second one starting in Laketown. Much more focused, probably less dumb shit padding them and the final movie going from Smaug to the Battle in one film would have been insane pacing wise.

Poster for the first film before they decided to make 3 movies:
My god, that fucking poster. I forgot all about it. Why on earth did they not just... do that?

I'm just noticing that, structurally, it actually kinda mirrors Fellowship. Start in Hobbiton; rendezvous in Rivendell; the Hobbit takes on the Ring; journey underground, ambushed by monsters; scary woods; elves; journey down the river.

I mean, it's already baked into the text, but damn. They really blew it.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
My god, that fucking poster. I forgot all about it. Why on earth did they not just... do that?
The funny thing is if you look at it, you realize the original structure was basically intended to be a mirror to FOTR

Shire ->Journey->Rivendell->Mountains->Elven Woods->Escape from Orcs

Deleted member 58832

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I so clearly remember the moment when Legolas is dancing around murdering everything on the barrel river ride... my group of friends just turned and looked at each other in the theater like... what the hell is this?

No, I never saw the third one.

BTW I'm unironically a huge fan of the 70's Hobbit cartoon.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The funny thing is if you look at it, you realize the original structure was basically intended to be a mirror to FOTR

Shire ->Journey->Rivendell->Mountains->Elven Woods->Escape from Orcs
I sure did, lol. Check my edit.

Part of me still believes Jackson could rework the movies if he ever wanted to. Fan cuts can only go so far. With the unused dailies and master audio, he could theoretically excise the B/C/D plots and still preserve continuity (along with a clean, watchable edit). They still shot those scenes. They filmed the book that is The Hobbit. Not every scene can be salvaged, but I truly believe most of the subplots and probably 80% of the third film could be dropped entirely.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Rushed movies that got expanded to three when two was already stretching it at the whim of New Line/WB being greedy done by the guy who didn't really want to do again after the stress and everything of the LOTR trilogy probably didn't help.