• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
hong-kong-1140x6419kkq8.png

Blast your way through the streets of Hong Kong in a fast-paced, top-down shooter. Inspired by classic action movies, The Hong Kong Massacre places you at the center of a hard-boiled revenge story, filled with brutal, cinematic shootouts and vivid underworld locations.

PSU - 8.5
The Hong Kong Massacre is a game that will leave you with vivid memories. The awesome stunts you pulled off, the impossible feats you were able to achieve, and the crazy killing sprees will all stick in your mind. It is a game that perfectly executes on a vision and offers some of the most gratifying few hours you can find in gaming today.

SquareXO - 8.5
Hong Kong Massacre is brilliant, it makes you feel like a bad-ass and it's great fun.

Hobby Consolas - 8
The Hong Kong Massacre is an intense and gratifying experience that Hotline Miami's fans and lovers will enjoy the most. It has its flaws (low-res videos, difficulty peaks at some points, gameplay repetition...) that draw it from being a must, but VRESKI's first game delivers with strong visuals, rhythm and challenge.

GameRamble - 8

IGN - 7.9
The Hong Kong Massacre is an action movie fan's dream played out in stylish slow-motion.

4Players.de - 7.9

Vandal - 7.6

Gert Lush Gaming - 7.6

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017
US
Buying this if a few more positive impressions come through.

Wasn't sure what to make of the art style but gameplay looks potentially fantastic.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Good impressions so far. Hopefully, we'll see some more coming in soon. For whatever reason, it didn't launch on the NA PS store, so I'll have to wait until.....next week?

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
It's on my wishlist, will definitely buy it. But the next weeks are booked for the RE2 remake. Will jump into this game after that though. Looks great.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Steam reviews look pretty good. The many comparisons to Hotline Miami make this a must-have, but I don't know when I'll even be able to get around to playing it. Too many good games this year.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Picked up the game last night. I got to play through maybe 6-7 levels. Reviews seem fair, for $17-20 or whatever you pay I'd say wait for $10. Pretty fun though.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm playing this on pc and the control\movement\shooting are fantastic.

It really is the child of hotline miami and max payne.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Game is fucked on PS4 pro. Awful low res cut scenes and the worst screen tearing I've seen this gen when you're actually playing. Game itself is fun but I'm not touching until it's patched. Don't buy it in its current state.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Legit surprised at these reviews, I refunded the game yesterday on Steam. The menus are borked, and the crosshair is barely visible a lot of the time due to all of the particle effects going off (and you can't change its color to compensate for that). Plus the cutscenes are shockingly low-res on PC.

If it ever gets patched I'll probably come back to it, but right now the game just feels half-baked to me.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Game is fucked on PS4 pro. Awful low res cut scenes and the worst screen tearing I've seen this gen when you're actually playing. Game itself is fun but I'm not touching until it's patched. Don't buy it in its current state.

The cutscene are low res even on pc at 4k.

I think the cutscenes are supposed to have that low res look to it, but i might be wrong.

No reason for the game to have that tearing tho :(

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More reviews spotted in the wild:

Gaming Academies (8/10)

Polygon (Recommended/10)

Skill Up (Please don't skip this/10)

Our review has just gone live here: http://www.gamepitt.co.uk/the-hong-kong-massacre-ps4-review/

I admit, the screen tearing is noticeable but not unplayable - I've seen worse. We got the resolutions off the devs as well :) - It's not what you'd expect, but they are only a 2-man team.

That was a pretty comprehensive review, man. Nice work!