• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
n1OmZje.jpg

• Release date: May 28th (PlayStation Vita digital), May 31st (PlayStation 4 & Vita physical), June 11th (PlayStation 4 digital), April 9th 2021 (Nintendo Switch)​
  • Availability: Worldwide (physical), North America (digital)
  • Genre: Visual Novel​
  • Developer: Novectacle​
  • Publisher: Limited Run Games & Mighty Rabbit Studios​
  • Platforms: PlayStation 4 (physical, limited edition, digital) & PlayStation Vita (physical, limited edition, digital) - Digital release is cross-buy -​
  • File size: PlayStation 4 (4.34GB), PlayStation Vita (2.8GB)​
  • Price: 40USD (digital), 50USD (physical), 85USD (limited edition)​
  • Content advisory from Mangagamer (spoilers in the list)​
  • Content: The House in Fata Morgana (base game), Requiem for Innocence (prequel), Reincarnation (sequel) & 18 Additional Stories

Intro:

You awaken in a decrepit old mansion.

A woman with eyes of jade stands before You, informing You that You are the Master of the house, and she Your Maid. However, You have no memories, no concept of self—or, indeed, any certainty that You are even alive.

The Maid invites You to join her on a journey through the mansion's lifeless halls, to behold the numerous tragedies that have befallen its residents. She suggests that among them, perhaps You will find some trace of Yourself.

Beyond the first door lies the year 1603.
It is an era of unparalleled beauty, where art and theatre flourish. Roses bloom abundantly in the garden where the inseparable Rhodes siblings play, and though they appear to be free of worry and strife... not everyone is content to see them happy.

Beyond the second door lies the year 1707.
In this era, the mansion lies in ruins, and a beast dwells within. He claims to yearn for a life of serenity, but it is not long before he yields to his innate savagery and a massacre ensues.

Beyond the third door lies the year 1869.
In this technologically advanced era, people are always on the move. The mansion's master is an ambitious businessman who has invested in the rail industry. However, his obsession with wealth and power leads him to neglect and mistreat his wife.

Beyond the fourth door lies the year 1099.
The Maid tells You that this is the final tale. In this era, You see a young man who claims to be cursed and a girl with white hair, called Giselle, who has been branded a witch and marked for death.

Having borne witness to these four tragedies, each set in a different time and place, You are now free to choose whether You wish to end Your story here... or press on.

But there are those who would say,

"You were able to bear them because they weren't your tragedies."

Screenshots, Trailers & Gameplay:

vnPGQH0.png

ZSinwGq.png

ebUl2mm.png

JD3HZeh.png

Packaging & Limited Edition:

Fata-PS4.png

WsqdPAd.png

- Reviews Forthcoming -

FAQ
(from Pasokon Deacon):

Newcomers
to The House in Fata Morgana, read below:

Q: What are the main differences between this release and the PC (Steam/GOG) release?

The House in Fata Morgana for PS4 and Vita runs at HD resolution, with official upscaled or redrawn art to match. In addition to containing the original game and the Requiem for Innocence prequel (released separately on PC), this version also includes Reincarnation (which I refuse to describe because its premise spoils much of the main game), and a number of previously Japan-exclusive short stories now localized in English. Returning players can use the Back Door feature to skip the main game and Requiem by correctly answering three plot-related questions, letting them play Reincarnation.

Q: Can I start with the prequel (Requiem for Innocence) and then play the main game?

I know at least one person who's done that and come out okay, but it's a very inadvisable choice. You'll understand and appreciate Requiem far more by experiencing the main story first, then using that character/plot/thematic knowledge to good use in Requiem and Reincarnation. For instance, one character frequently disliked in The House in Fata Morgana becomes far more sympathetic/empathetic in Requiem, at least for players who paid attention in the main story. The most obvious reason to play The House in Fata Morgana first is that Novectacle developed Requiem afterward, meaning that Requiem shows some differences in the developer's style.

Q: I've heard many different descriptions and opinions about this visual novel. What are the most distinct reasons to try The House in Fata Morgana?

Fata Morgana as a whole differs from most Japanese visual novels through its gothic presentation, tragic story, and complex room for interpretation. Some players have compared it to games in the When They Cry series (particularly Umineko) for superficial and justified reasons, but Fata Morgana specializes in tragedy with mystery coming second. Expect a very sad, frustrating, but ultimately hopeful tale of tales, each of which offer a window into how individuals, relationships, and broken societies work. Also expect some well-planned twists that you absolutely should not get spoiled on! It takes a while to get into Fata Morgana precisely because of the premise described in the intro description, which presents an anthology story that's later re-framed into an ongoing one. Each story works well on its own and in tandem with all others, such that I sometimes have to force myself from over-analyzing this game so much.

Q: Without spoiling too much, are there any content warnings for this game, and is it scary?

The PC localization publisher, MangaGamer, released a content warning alongside the Steam release which you'll find useful. It does spoil some topics/themes the game will tackle; I'll list the non-plot-spoiling bits below:

Incest
Graphic descriptions of violence, torture, and murder
Domestic violence
Racist remarks
Psychological manipulation
Sexist remarks
Suicide
Sexual assault, rape
Homophobic remarks
Transphobic remarks and behavior
Child abuse

Fata Morgana contains a few horrific moments that might qualify as scary (one at the end of Door 2 might qualify as a jump scare), but the presentation skews more towards discomforting, foreboding atmosphere. It's certainly not a story you should binge unless you desire deep emotional valleys; I hope you know how much you can tolerate and how to cope with some of the story's most difficult sections.

Q: Is this game safe to image-search or read about further online?

Absolutely not. This OT gives you more than enough content to get started, arguably too much for some players. Go in blind and enjoy!

Q: If I want to order a physical and/or limited edition, what are my options?

Per LRG: "The physical version of the game will be $49.99 and available exclusively at www.limitedrungames.com on Friday, May 31. There will be two batches of the game; the first batch will go live at 7 AM PDT / 10 AM EDT and the second batch will go live at 3 PM PDT / 6 PM EDT." This includes both standard physical versions and the limited edition boxes which go for $84.99. You're only permitted to purchase up to 2 copies of each version, a countermeasure against scalpers.

Veterans only of The House in Fata Morgana, read below:

Q: What is Reincarnation?

Simply put, the lives of the main cast following the ending of The House in Fata Morgana. You'll see a familiar pair at the start, followed by paired characters from the original's first three Doors. This story also follows from the very last part of Requiem (which you can read either by completing that game's Backstage extra on PC or in this collection). It has unique Japanese-only voice acting for each character, played by actors who contributed to Fata Morgana audio dramas, plus new artwork by a new artist to replace Moyotaro's art while he recovered from disease. This story lasts anywhere from 4-5 hours to around 12, depending on how much you listen to the voice acting.

Q: Does this version contain the Backstage extras found in the PC releases?

So far, unconfirmed. The JP Vita release prior to this one lacks them, but it's possible that Novectacle and LRG re-implemented content for this release. You should still be able to read the very last part of Requiem regardless.

Q: Will Reincarnation and other content in this version ever make it to PC?

The short stories are entirely owned by Novectacle and, theoretically, easy to add into the PC releases, but Reincarnation is more difficult. Novectacle partnered with a co-developed, Dramatic Create, to make Reincarnation and the JP Vita release (mainly to add voice acting and a new engine). Novectacle and/or LRG/Mighty Rabbit will have to either re-negotiate the contract with Dramatic Create, potentially with new expenses, in order to make Reincarnation available on PC. If that's impossible or untenable, then Novectacle can potentially remake Reincarnation for PC, however that would work.

Where it all began:

I want to thank LimitedRunGames for bringing these games to consoles in the West, Novectacle for developing them and working closely with Limited Run Games for all the content we're getting, Nick for kickstarting this whole campaign two years ago, Pasokon Deacon for the subtitle & FAQ and everyone that is either trying this game for the first time or replaying them all over again.​

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it when I say this will be my GOTY 2019.

I played the PC release 3 years ago and it's changed my life.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Can also confirm that FataMoru's a life-changing story (personal reasons, of course).

Good OT! I'd recommend spoiler-tagging the Novectacle trailer since it's liberal with showing off spoiler-ish content. I have to wait a while until the PS4 digital release goes up, but I'm already ready to dig into the sequel and the newly-translated short stories.

Also, you can credit Dramatic Create as a developer since they directly helped make Reincarnation for the JP Vita release.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping for lots of first time impressions.

Also looking forward to playing through the whole package again once the digital version is out in Europe.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've literally been holding off on playing this for this release. You can bet your entire ass that I'll be doing everything in my power to get the Vita CE (and LDM) on Friday.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful OT! I really want that Collector's Edition - not sure which to go for Vita or PS4. But super excited!

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, so many people I know online are incredibly excited about this. It's surreal. If all of them nab an LRG copy, I'll know like a few percent of all people who own a CE copy lol

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'm happy for everyone that gets to experience this now with the console release!

Please don't worry if at first you don't see what the fuzz was about at first. Good things come to those who wait.

My playthrough took around 24h, there are a handful of dead ends in the story, but just create saves during crossroads and you'll be fine.
Absolutely stay clear from looking at walkthroughs. There are no lesser ends that cost you a good ending. Do not worry about messing up. I believe in you. You will be fine. ♡

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making an OT. Really looking forward to replaying Fata, hope I can get physical copies on Friday.

It's hard to tell if all versions will sell out instantly or if there's a bit of an echo chamber thing going on since we're all VN fans and it has been such a long wait. Anything Vita released by LRG is sure to sell out quickly these days, but I hope the PS4 version will stay available for a bit longer.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my paycheck.

I really hope I am able to grab a copy soon. No Europe digital release sucks.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's time I started the first one, heard nothing but good stuff about it but never got around to it.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Incredible game. I've been absolutely dying to play it again, and I'm pumped to play Requiem and Reincarnation for the first time. (The wait for the LE is going to be tough with the digital version being available right now, lol.)

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
If I really want to plunk down for an LE, it's gonna be PS4 without a doubt. The Vita LE will sell out as quick or quicker than SD ComicCon tickets.

I've literally been holding off on playing this for this release. You can bet your entire ass that I'll be doing everything in my power to get the Vita CE (and LDM) on Friday.
Get ready for The Wild Ride that is this VN.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing it on Steam last year and dropped it when the Vita localization was all but confirmed. The game looks glorious on Vita.

Thanks to homebrew, I managed to purchase it digitally with my American account, and it's nice to know I'll have it on PS4 too.

I mean it when I say this will be my GOTY 2019.

I played the PC release 3 years ago and it's changed my life.
Can also confirm that FataMoru's a life-changing story (personal reasons, of course).
Honestly, I've never seen so many people saying a game changed their lives, and not just here, I mean.
I always take it as a ringing endorsement, obviously.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Honestly, I've never seen so many people saying a game changed their lives, and not just here, I mean.
I always take it as a ringing endorsement, obviously.
There's at least some truth to it, though I mostly credit my therapist for the last half-year of progress which FataMoru slightly contributed to. The stories focus a lot on emotional intelligence and mental disorders/neuro-atypical conditions, and how their society punishes those who possess any amount of them, among other tragic things I can relate to.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Great game - thanks to Funyarinpa for recommending it and being around to talk through it during my playtime with it. Still think about it and the way it made me feel every so often.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Ready for it to be Friday to get this and LDM. Hope everyone gets the version they want.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great game - thanks to Funyarinpa for recommending it and being around to talk through it during my playtime with it. Still think about it and the way it made me feel every so often.
I was myself introduced to the game because someone gifted it to me out of the blue back in 2016, actually. So it's made me really happy to hear that I could pass that along to someone else c:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If you are playing for the first time, you're in for a treat. Prepare to feel all kinds of emotions and get a box of tissues ready.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Fata Morgana the original is my favourite visual novel ever. Requiem for Innocence was a fantastic followup, despite me not thinking it was needed before playing (how wrong I was).
I am. INCREDIBLY. Hyped for this.Will be waiting for a collectors edition though with any luck! Hope the newbies enjoy.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Is it a kinetic novel? A preferred route guide somewhere if not? Might dust off my vita for this.

edit: Thanks Shizuka. Not wild about Kinetic novels but I'll give it a shot I think

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I wrote the FAQ you'll now find in the OT, which should answer most of the key questions for this release.

If anyone wants links to other resources for Fata Morgana (ex. analysis, import impressions, etc.), I have those as well.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Did they redo the backgrounds for this edition? They look different in the screens from what I remember, for some reason.

Edit: I see, it was in the FAQ there. Because it's HD they redrew them.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Did they redo the backgrounds for this edition? They look different in the screens from what I remember, for some reason.
Oh, the question I missed.

Yes, they have redone most if not all backgrounds. This happened in order to accommodate the resolution upgrade, as well as more directly represent the scenes intended by Novectacle. The original, hazy stock photo backgrounds work better in some cases and not as well as the new ones in others; it's all up to preference. I mostly dislike the generic text frame which now replaces the per-chapter text frames I've gotten used to.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Digital version is cross buy? Holy shit! That's great. Not seen that from a Vita release in a long time (that I've been interested in anyway). I guess this is the final hurrah for the Vita for me anyway. Look forward to the EU release.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wrote the FAQ you'll now find in the OT, which should answer most of the key questions for this release.

If anyone wants links to other resources for Fata Morgana (ex. analysis, import impressions, etc.), I have those as well.
Thank you for the FAQ! Great stuff.

We might add
a translated version of "Our Home", a short story published on Novectacle's website I think, that's basically Fragment from Morgana's perspective. Admittedly, I don't know if it's one of the extra stories in this edition, so perhaps it's better to hold off until someone confirms if it's in there. As I recall, Requiem only had a few (4?5?) short stories so it might very well already be in there.

Oct 25, 2017
Digital version is cross buy? Holy shit! That's great. Not seen that from a Vita release in a long time (that I've been interested in anyway). I guess this is the final hurrah for the Vita for me anyway. Look forward to the EU release.
wow, this is definitely a digital purchase now. Is there a source for this outside of the original post?

EDIT: I found it. It's confirmed : https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...station-games-for-may-28-2019/?ref-cat=251280

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Thank you for the FAQ! Great stuff.

We might add
a translated version of "Our Home", a short story published on Novectacle's website I think, that's basically Fragment from Morgana's perspective. Admittedly, I don't know if it's one of the extra stories in this edition, so perhaps it's better to hold off until someone confirms if it's in there. As I recall, Requiem only had a few (4?5?) short stories so it might very well already be in there.
The story you mentioned isn't included:

So yeah.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize if this is a bit nerdy, but given the references to a Golden Age in 1605 at the start of the game, I assume that part of the story takes place in the Netherlands or some kind of analogue?

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Two copies per version of the game is frustrating, I wish they would have limited it to one per household. With only 1,000 copies of the LE available, if everyone purchases two each it cuts the total to a mere 500. I'll only grab one of course (if I can), but I know everyone isn't like me. :(

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
Pray that I can snag a collectors edition for this game. I implore anyone who hasn't played this game to give it a shot, I didn't even play visual novels before this game and it actually ended up being probably my favorite game/story of all time.