• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
As always, I would far rather the attention paid to Israel from our government be spent actually working to protect the Jewish people

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there is list of the ones that five members that voted present? I didn't see John Yarmuth (D-Ky) in the list of 16 that voted no, even though he's expressed opposition to this in the past.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they just did this (or something equivalent) a few months ago...What an unnecessary waste of time.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
For pete's sake, can we come to a consensus that criticizing Israel's right-wing government does not mean hating the state of Israel? It's long been embarrassing. Democrats continue to being the party of cowardice losers.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
What was up with Lewis voting for this after cosponsoring the BDS bill with Tlaib and Omar?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We really need to sort our Israel shit out.

Combination of legitimate need to find a safe place for a people who were persecuted, naive geopolitical policy, an energy nexus, religious conflict, bad timing and early twentieth century racism. And now the world and the Israeli people and the Palestinians are trapped with the consequences of that - and bad actors locally and worldwide looking to use it as a wedge, a lever and a bulwark against real and invented threats.

Everything about it is a mess and a horror show and there are almost no innocent parties except the people suffering inside the borders from policies driven by political miscreants.

This Era of Trump and Boris and Bibi and Putin and Duterte and Orban and the rest should be a historical moment of shame because all of us initially had the information and ability to avoid it or make it better.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Hypocrisy and cowardice. If any change is going to happen, it clearly won't be coming from the US's end. Given the current state of affairs, is a left wing movement even possible in Israel?

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Progressive Queen Pelosi and subjects being as progressive as possible and by that I mean silencing criticism on behalf of a genocidal state.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is apparently Khanna's stance:

"I oppose criminalizing the BDS-movement and have stayed off bills that do so or impose any penalty. The First Amendment is a key foundation of our country that we must protect. Nothing in the Schneider resolution that I cosponsored infringes on any American's First Amendment right to protest the U.S. or any foreign country, and I advocated with other progressives to have that clarifying language included. I have supported numerous pieces of legislation that prevented any U.S. funds from being used towards the unlawful detention of Palestinian children and have stood up for the human rights of Palestinian children—but like Senators Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, and other progressive leaders, I do not believe BDS will help achieve either a two state solution or the recognition of rights for Palestinians. We should continue to work to find constructive ways to achieve peace and a resolution to the conflict."

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Where did this insane love of Israel come from? Do they know its a different country?

just guessing but:

1- Their anti-muslim feelings override whatever reservations they might have with Israel's actions
2- Israel's (technically Netanyahu's, but also replicated by other people online and offline) strategy of declaring criticism of Israel as antisemitism.
3- Religious beliefs - the idea that a strong Israel essentially foretells the second coming of Jesus.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Who did they silence? This resolution does literally nothing other than list reasons why the house opposes BDS
They have been trying to silence any criticism of Isreal by labeling as anti semetic for some time now, this is the second bill this year made specifically against critics of Isreal.

Either way you slice it, they end up stanning for a genocidal state, does that make much of a difference to you?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I guess freedom of speech is not a thing in the United States anymore. I thought the Citizens United case determined companies had the right to free speech and the use of money was speech under the first amendment, which would make this resolution unconstitutional, but I guess American politicians don't care anymore about unimportant things like the Constitution.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I wonder what chapter this will be a part of in the "Palestine, where did it go?" history book.
The Palestinians population stopped its' rapid growth?

It's too bad that every time the word Israel is mentioned, the conversation deteriorate to Genocide/Apartheid/Evil.

Hypocrisy and cowardice. If any change is going to happen, it clearly won't be coming from the US's end. Given the current state of affairs, is a left wing movement even possible in Israel?
Just 3 months ago the central-left party Blue&white became the second biggest party in the Israeli house, 35 mandates, just 1 mandate shay of Bibi's Likud party 36 mandates. The problem that holds the Israeli left from taking power is 12-14 mandates the Arab parties get, parties that never take part of the coalition (mostly because most of them are anti-israeli) so the Israeli left fails at building coalitions every election.

Ironically, movments like the BDC help the Israeli right stay in power.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's too bad that every time the word Israel is mentioned, the conversation deteriorate to Genocide/Apartheid/Evil.

Just 3 months ago the central-left party Blue&white became the second biggest party in the Israeli house, 35 mandates, just 1 mandate shay of Bibi's Likud party 36 mandates. The problem that holds the Israeli left from taking power is 12-14 mandates the Arab parties get, parties that never take part of the coalition (mostly because most of them are anti-israeli) so the Israeli left fails at building coalitions every election.

I knew it was those damn Arabs' fault! Isn't it always?

Jun 20, 2019
Things like this serve to give some believability to the idea that the US still manages its affairs as a white colonial empire and responds sympathetically to other nations that it perceives as sharing those ideological purposes. A recent podcast introduced me to a book that analyzes American history through the lens of colonial empire, The Twin Faces of American Freedom by Aziz Rana.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So basically fuck free speech
So%2BThat%2BWas%2Ba%2BLie%2B19122018081516.jpg

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

There are a lot of anti-BDS bills out there that infringe on 1st amendment rights at the state and federal level. In my view, HRes 246 wasn't one of them.

Is she saying that anti-BDS bills are all good as long as they don't directly infringe upon the most important and basic constitutional rights? Like, she's anti-BDS in spirit?

What a bunch of fucking horseshit.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Lol. So it's the fault of the Palestinians now, and not at all the fact no party for the ethnic majority will work with the filthy Palestinians in parliament like they never have for decades? I wonder why they are "Anti Israel" considering they live in a "separate but equal system" that expects them to be all complacent while most Palestinians are kept under a brutal dictatorship.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This party is such a mess. What a bunch of spineless assholes.

BDS work. It is why Israel is doing everything in their power to stop them. They are hitting them where it hurts, especially the ilegal settlements products.

Also fuck right off with that rapid growth comment. Israel is stealing land each day to build their settlements on. What do you think will happen once there is nothing left? It doesn't take a genius to understand what would happen afterwards.

If Israel wanted peace it would happen but the fact is they are the ones with the power in this situation and they are benifiting a lot from this conflict.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess freedom of speech is not a thing in the United States anymore. I thought the Citizens United case determined companies had the right to free speech and the use of money was speech under the first amendment, which would make this resolution unconstitutional, but I guess American politicians don't care anymore about unimportant things like the Constitution.

This resolution doesn't stop anyone from saying or doing anything. It's basically just an opinion article signed by most of the house. It's not remotely unconstitutional. It doesn't even argue against boycotts in general -- they have specific gripes against the organizers of the BDS movement. Though the cynic in me says that they would have a problem with any effective boycott like BDS but that is neither here nor there. Congress saying mean things about any other boycott wouldn't be unconstitutional either. They have the same right to free speech as you

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The more I read, the more I can't wait until we finally get some credible progressive 3rd parties.

If reality has shown us anything, it's that Republicans stick together through racism, vile, and more.

Any third party that would somehow miraculously rise up would only serve to splinter the non Republican vote.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
User Banned (2 Weeks): Whataboutism, Conflating Citizens with their Leadership, and Dismissing Concerns of Victims of Violence Over Multiple Posts
Lol. So it's the fault of the Palestinians now, and not at all the fact no party for the ethnic majority will work with the filthy Palestinians in parliament like they never have for decades? I wonder why they are "Anti Israel" considering they live in a "separate but equal system" that expects them to be all complacent while most Palestinians are kept under a brutal dictatorship.
It's not their fault, it's just a fact that the left-wing parties can't form a coalition with them because of obvious reasons. These parties will never be part of the coalition so in order for the Israeli left to be in power again they need to form a coalition with some light right-wing parties and the ultra-religious parties which is usually a problem because some of the left parties are trying to make the country more secular so forming a coalition with the ultra-religious parties is almost impossible.

And don't make excuses for the Arab parties in Israel. The Arab population in Israel is great but most of their politicians are horrible, they are the reason no one will take them aboard to a coalition. How can a party sit in a coalition with a party like BALAD which calls for murdering of Jews? I mean, some common sense, do you really think any party will sit in a government that includes this weird-ass politician? They will be kissing their political carrier goodbye.
BDS work. It is why Israel is doing everything in their power to stop them. They are hitting them where it hurts, especially the ilegal settlements products.
Does it work though? They exist for over a decade, what results did they bring? Forcing Sodastream to move their factory from the west benk into Israel resulting in over 600 Palestinians losing their very lucrative jobs? Making Lorde cancel her show? Did any of this help the Palestinians? I can see Palestinians losing their jobs because of the BDS, I can see Israelies rounding up around right-wing politicians because of the BDS, but how did it help the Palestinians in the past one and a half decades?

Also fuck right off with that rapid growth comment. Israel is stealing land each day to build their settlements on. What do you think will happen once there is nothing left? It doesn't take a genius to understand what would happen afterwards.
So why keep saying Genocide if there isn't one? Why keep saying Apartheid there isn't one? Israel is occupying the Palestinians, so using words like "stop the occupation" makes a lot of sense. But because it's really easy to demonize a country by using random words like "genocide" and "apartheid", it's great PR so people use it.

What will happen if Israel annexes the whole West Bank? I don't know, probably not genocide but the end of Israel IMO but that's just an opinion. If Israel wanted to genocide the Palestinians, they were gone 50 years ago when the conflict has started in 1967.
If Israel wanted peace it would happen but the fact is they are the ones with the power in this situation and they are benifiting a lot from this conflict.
What does Israel benefit from this conflict? Overspending on the army? Overspending on infrastructures in the west bank? Citizens under rocket fire? Burning fields? The BDS? What's their gain?

If the Palestinians wanted peace, they wouldn't have started blowing up buses as a reaction to the Oslo accords, said no twice, in 2000 and 2007, and wouldn't have made Gaza a terror state after Israel left in 2005. The last one, the whole Gaza thing, is actually one of the main reasons Israel is so right-wing right now. After that, the idea of peace started fading away.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it work though? They exist for over a decade, what results did they bring? Forcing Sodastream to move their factory from the west benk into Israel resulting in over 600 Palestinians losing their very lucrative jobs? Making Lorde cancel her show? Did any of this help the Palestinians? I can see Palestinians losing their jobs because of the BDS, I can see Israelies rounding up around right-wing politicians because of the BDS, but how did it help the Palestinians in the past one and a half decades?
It helps palestinians. It helps spread awarenes about the injustices Israel does. It helps make those settlements go under because they can't sell their products.

Also 600 Palestinians losing jobs? what the fuck does that even mean? Israel is stealing already lived on land from the West Bank to build their fucking settlements on and you come and tell me this bullshit. Fuck that. Israel is combating against BDS because it is hurting them.
So why keep saying Genocide if there isn't one? Why keep saying Apartheid it there isn't one? Israel is occupying the Palestinians, so using words like "stop the occupation" makes a lot of sense. But because it's really easy to demonize a country by using random words like "genocide" and "apartheid", it's great PR so people use it.
I will use whatever words I see fit. You don't get to decide for me what genocide is or what it isn't. What Israel is doing is genocide and ethnic cleansing. They are stealing the land to make no room for Palestinians in the country. That is their goal and if you are this naive to think having more children means there is no genocide then there is no hope for you.
What does Israel benefit from this conflict? Overspending on the army? Overspending on infrastructures in the west bank? Citizens under rocket fire? Burning fields? The BDS? What's their gain?

If the Palestinians wanted peace, they wouldn't have started blowing up buses as a reaction to the Oslo accords, said no twice, in 2000 and 2007, and wouldn't have made Gaza a terror state after Israel left in 2005. The last one, the whole Gaza thing, is actually one of the main reasons Israel is so right-wing right now. After that, the idea of peace started fading away.
Yes right when this happened:

The idea of peace stopped existing once Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated by the right wing groups of Israel. Same groups that Benjamin "Arabs are voting in droves" Netanyahu is apart of.

Israel benefits from this conflict because it lets them get away with the injustice and evil shit they do. They can steal land for "security reasons" without anybody batting an eye.

Go read a book and learn about the conflict, have some prespective and then come back and tell us how wrong we are.