• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Splatoon is to Wii U what Halo was to XBOX*. Splatoon, if you're not aware, is the most spectacular shooter on the market. The core game mechanic revolves around inking. When you're a kid you can shoot ink and throw ink grenades to colorfully coat the level. Even cooler is the ability to go from kid to squid like that of Samus' transformation into a ball. When you're a squid you can glide around submerged in the ink you've laid down (this is much faster than your running speed) while also simultaneously refilling your ink tank. This smooth friction of sliding around in ink up structures greatly reminds me of the skateboarding in the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games. Doing so is such an immensely satisfying new experience that it brings me back to the feeling of jumping around in the courtyard as Mario in Super Mario 64 for the first time.

I think Splatoon is Nintendo's best in multiplayer action. So I'm going to focus on talking about the multiplayer portion of the game.

tumblr_po41d1Bmbs1rozuvno1_640.jpg

Two teams go head-to-head, each team gets randomly assigned a color that contrasts with the other team's color. Inking the stage produces a massive visual alteration on the environment. The color of ink has a subdued gleam like freshly applied paint look to it. And all the special weapons have a boldness to them taking the aesthetic mayhem even further.

There are 2 major areas that standout and are unique to the first game that I find mandatory for a gamer to experience:
1. Stages - The stages have more verticality and more complex workings. Saltspray Rig in my opinion was the best early map, particularly for Splat Zones with the mayhem at the highly contested top of the map. Again, I really like how this map has high-up places of the gigantic pileup of storage crates to climb up along with rotating wrecking ball platform. Flounder Heights is my favorite stage and it is humongous. It's so fun to get to the top of the level and there is so much surface area to ink.

Also, the game has better dynamic stage elements like in Mahi-Mahi Resort and Museum d'Alfonsino, which also give you vantage points to perch up on. There is a scenic view to be had on-top of rotating columns and rising stage floors. Mahi-Mahi has a white flooring that really stands out like the cobblestone in Bianco Hills in Super Mario Sunshine [GC], although you'll be admiring this for the short opening minute of battle before its entirely painted over. To look down on and observe the battlefield is pleasant, but it's also great for getting a good look at the whole picture before calling in an Inkstrike!

2. Specials + Wii U Game Pad connectivity and Sprinklers - Finally, a truly awesome use of the Wii U Game Pad. Tapping the map on the controller screen to launch an Inkstrike is an intuitive and irreplaceable experience exclusive to the console. Inkstrikes have enormous screen presence creating a gigantic whirling column of color on detonation. There's a humorous aspect to it too in that your own Inkling busts out a Wii U looking device and looks down at it just as you are doing. Even more amusing is the fact that you can launch this strike on your own location. The other specials have a ton of character as well.

Bubbler, a gleaming translucent spherical bobble shield, protects you from the other team's ink attacks and lets you make an additional bubble upon contact with your teammate(s) making team proximity awareness important; whereas Killer Wail lets you shoot through the whole level in one direction of your choosing making enemy location awareness important. The invincible Kraken special weapon of transformation can be used for means of climbing up steep walls that would be too time consuming to paint rather than for direct combat purposes. Kraken leaves behind a long trail of ink just like Inkzooka, a special weapon that sends a small wall of ink astoundingly fast in a direction. Bomb Rush creates a sort-of grounded firecracker display of color that works great for clearing out area.

There's a lot of effort on placement in this game, of which I'd like to further go on and talk one particular sub weapon: the Sprinkler. This is so clever. You throw an ink-spewing sprinkler that fastens onto wherever it lands. And it can adjoin onto platforms and stage elements in quite a variety of ways from hanging upside down, on the corner of a wall, directly on the ground, etc. (In the sequel its purposefulness is greatly diminished.) Obviously I enjoy throwing these everywhere, especially on the aforementioned biggest stages.

What is nice about the two available invincibility specials is that they provide the player a breather to take amidst the chaos, and the Inkstrike special weapon too needs a certain amount of relaxing distance to use well that big stages provide. Sprinklers also tremendously benefit from stages with more surface area and hard-to-hit high rise locations. All of this contributes to a certain enjoyable tone that is only in this game.

CONCLUSION

Paintball Mode has come a long way with Splatoon. The spaciousness of the world that allows the player to take a breather alongside the bold display of colors erupting from weaponry is truly in a class of its own. The current state of Splatoon [Wii U] in Japan is still quite active. Wii U's online server time table is unknown, so I recommend speedy action on acquisition of a Wii U console and Splatoon game software. Unlike when the game launched you have access to all the weapons and stages now. (Miiverse, SplatFests, and SeaSnail use are all unavailable though.) There's a lot more to the game that I haven't talked about that awaits you.

tumblr_po2ky38zmO1rozuvno1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Concept, idea and mechanics are all awesome.
Netcode is the biggest piece of shit and the reason I gave up playin Splatoon 2 after 2 month.
Such a shame for an otherwise great game/IP

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for posting it, I hope you'll create others like it. I totally agree, Splatoon on Wii U is an awesome experience. As a SP oriented gamer I enjoyed the campaign a ton, reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy in the design.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats wrong with Splatoon 2 that we need to jump back to 1? You mention the gamepad map which I agree with is better in that version, but its not like it couldnt have been done any other way.

Either way, Splatoon will never truly be a standout competitive game just because the online is so archaic compared to the competition then and now.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The current state of Splatoon [Wii U] in Japan is still quite active. Wii U's online server time table is unknown, so I recommend speedy action on acquisition of a Wii U console and Splatoon game software.
.....Why?

I loved Splatoon on Wii U but the online user base is far larger and the game is much improved in the sequel for Switch. It makes no sense to recommend going out and buying a Wii U to play the first now that Splatoon is out and improved on virtually everything from the first and has a much more robust online player base.

I played the original a ton but there is absolutely no reason to recommend someone go play the first online now with the much improved sequel having replaced it unless they only own a Wii U and can't afford a Switch.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Splatoon 1 was a landmark Wii U game but it's also almost entirely pointless to play after the sequel unless you want to see the story bits. The campaign is only a few hours and isn't even a fraction as memorable as Halo 1 campaign and the multiplayer is almost entirely replicated in 2, it's also superior in 2. There is a reason Nintendo will never bother to port this game, it's just pointless today. Comparing it to Halo is pretty strange to be honest, as Halo 1 is still considered by many a masterpiece worth playing today regardless of how many came after it.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 1's final boss fight is still one of the best final boss fights out there. As far as the multiplayer goes. Splatoon 1's special weapons were so broken in-universe they created laws to ban them in Splatoon 2.

I really wish they brought the Squid Girl collab items to 2 though.

46f7f3b7e5ec7b68ca850546ce59fde5.jpg

latest

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
.....Why?

I loved Splatoon on Wii U but the online user base is far larger and the game is much improved in the sequel for Switch. It makes no sense to recommend going out and buying a Wii U to play the first now that Splatoon is out and improved on virtually everything from the first and has a much more robust online player base.

I played the original a ton but there is absolutely no reason to recommend someone go play the first online now with the much improved sequel having replaced it unless they only own a Wii U and can't afford a Switch.

Some people prefer the balance and weapons of the original.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's still amazing that Splatoon is already an A-tier Nintendo franchise. It basically became an A-tier franchise the instant it was revealed, and Splatoon 2 only cemented its status as such.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 1 was a landmark Wii U game but it's also almost entirely pointless to player after the sequel unless you want to see the story bits. The campaign is only a few hours and isn't even a fraction as memorable as Halo 1 campaign and the multiplayer is almost entirely replicated in 2, it's also superior in 2. There is a reason Nintendo will never bother to port this game, it's just pointless today. Comparing it to Halo is pretty strange to be honest, as Halo 1 is still considered by many a masterpiece worth playing today regardless of how many came after it.
Yeah, Halo 1's campaign is still worth playing if you want to play though the Halo games.

There is nothing worth going back to in Splatoon 1 now that the sequel is out. It improved on everything in the first and replaced it completely.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people prefer the balance and weapons of the original.
I am just saying there is nowhere near enough there in the first to really .recommend someone go out and purchase a Wii U for it if you don't already have one when the sequel is out and for most people effectively replaces the first.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Great series, massively held back by Nintendos poor online service.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Learning the game with everyone at launch was truly magical. Watching strategies change so dramatically and finding the spots people missed, it was such a new type of game, it was (and still is) fantastic.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
100% expected this thread to be about the story campaign since it's the only meaningful part that's not in the sequel. But somehow it isn't? What

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldnt call it A at all

Splatoon 1 is the 6th best selling game on the Wii U at 4.94 million.

Splatoon 2 is the 6th best selling game on the Switch (currently) at 8.27 million.

There have only been two games up to this point. Splatoon is an A-List Nintendo franchise.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 1 was a landmark Wii U game but it's also almost entirely pointless to player after the sequel unless you want to see the story bits. The campaign is only a few hours and isn't even a fraction as memorable as Halo 1 campaign and the multiplayer is almost entirely replicated in 2, it's also superior in 2. There is a reason Nintendo will never bother to port this game, it's just pointless today. Comparing it to Halo is pretty strange to be honest, as Halo 1 is still considered by many a masterpiece worth playing today regardless of how many came after it.
A lot of us Splatoon diehards will tell you S1 is still very much worth playing because not everything is better in 2, even if it is the better package.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
A lot of us Splatoon diehards will tell you S1 is still very much worth playing because not everything is better in 2, even if it is the better package.

Splatoon 1 likely won't even have an active online soon, Nintendo will likely shut it down entirely, so even if that were true (and most don't agree I imagine) it won't matter. Splatoon 1 will never be a game people can just go back to and experience again like they can with something like Halo, what made Halo special was all offline and actually still matters today.

I say this as someone who prefers Splatoon generally to Halo. Splatoon 1 is more like PSO or Quake 3 in which it was super amazing for the time, but not really worth visiting for your first time now.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Splatoon 1's final boss fight is still one of the best final boss fights out there. As far as the multiplayer goes. Splatoon 1's special weapons were so broken in-universe they created laws to ban them in Splatoon 2.

I really wish they brought the Squid Girl collab items to 2 though.

46f7f3b7e5ec7b68ca850546ce59fde5.jpg

latest
Man I love ika musume so much. Splatoon 2 needs this

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
.....Why?

Yup, there is a certain charm and atmosphere that I do miss from splatoon 1 but in the end, splatoon 2 just improved on basically everything but the map

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well written thread but I disagree with the idea that Splatoon 2 is inferior, it's better in nearly every regard and it's a perfect way to enjoy the franchise (and a far more accessible way as well.)

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I want Splatoon 2. Played a bit of 1 and enjoyed it
I'm more of a single player kind of person. Is Splatoon 2 worth it?

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I dunno which bubble this is, but it's one hell of a bubble all the same.
Probably the same bubble that acts like Federation Force is the best FPS game ever: the kind that has never played anything that isn't Nintendo.

Seriously, Halo was an instant, game changing smash hit that completely changed the entire FPS genre overnight and turned Xbox from a curiousity that was dismissed as having any real chance of breaking through into instantly one of the "Big Three" and one of the biggest brand names in the entire medium.

Splatoon was a fun, quirky TPS that was released on a dying console that continued to die, and did reasonably well when its sequel came out for a console people were already buying.

Dec 18, 2018
Concept, idea and mechanics are all awesome.
Netcode is the biggest piece of shit and the reason I gave up playin Splatoon 2 after 2 month.
Such a shame for an otherwise great game/IP
Really?online runs extremely well for me, maybe once every 10 hours I get booted out of a game. Not great but not a deal breaker, and I play on WiFi. Are u American?

Oct 26, 2017
For purely the single-player? No, definitely not. I enjoy the single-player but this is a game where you'll get most of your enjoyment from playing online

Probably the same bubble that acts like Federation Force is the best FPS game ever: the kind that has never played anything that isn't Nintendo.

Seriously, Halo was an instant, game changing smash hit that completely changed the entire FPS genre overnight and turned Xbox from a curiousity that was dismissed as having any real chance of breaking through into instantly one of the "Big Three" and one of the biggest brand names in the entire medium.

Splatoon was a fun, quirky TPS that was released on a dying console that continued to die, and did reasonably well when its sequel came out for a console people were already buying.
...I've never seen anyone act like Federation Force is the best FPS ever made. It's almost always the other way around. We need to stop taking statements made by one or two people at best and extrapolating them to a wider group. Agreed with the rest though, albeit the game's doing more than just reasonably well, considering it's an exclusive

Woylie

May 9, 2018
splatoon is neck and neck with mario maker as the best wii u game. i love the sequel and wouldn't really want to go back, but there definitely was something really fresh and special about that first game.

for one thing, most of the maps in splatoon 1 are more vertical and have design that's more integrated with their theming, as opposed to 2 where the themes are cool but the maps themselves just feel like random geometry. not sure how to articulate it really, but walking on saltspray rig just *feels* more like an oil rig than like, that hotel level that feels completely nonsensical (though the rooftop pool and everything in the background looks great).

kind of feels like they wanted to make stages more competitively viable which made it so a lot of the more interesting elements were relegated to splatfest stages.

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The only two things Splatoon 1 does better:
1) Better Final Boss fight
2) It has Mahi Mahi Resort

rest is better in S2.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Splatoon 1 still has some of the best maps that are still exclusive to it such as Saltspray Rigs. I appreciate the specials in the second game being more 'assist-like' in nature, but I still miss killer wail and ink strike. Splatoon 2 is great, but I guess I burned myself out on it after 400+ hours in Splatoon 1. Only have 155 hours in the second game, with probably a 50 of those hours being for the campaign and Octo expansion. Only level 38 in Splatoon 2, I hope for the third game they make the plaza more interactive and give you an apartment to customize ala Animal Crossing.

Also slightly unrelated, but is the online still up for it? Every time I have a hankering to play Splatoon 1, I can never connect into the lobby.

Dec 18, 2018
I bought Splatoon 2 for single player, fell in love with multiplayer and salmon run. Single player is 8.5/10, multiplayer 9.5/10.
I haven't even finished single player campaign, I'm on last level. Most time I put in game, I'm at 160 hours.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like to think that those people are few and far between, and really only exist in droves on Nintendo fansites, and on Era whenever it's time to rationalize how someone could have enjoyed a Nintendo game that I didn't.
Never seen someone say that Federation Force is the best FPS game ever.
I have seen Other M compared to Shakespeare and classic works of art, however.
That's even worse.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Map rotation killed it for me. My understanding is Splatoon 2 has an extra map in rotation? Ehhh, that won't cut it for ne. Online in general felt super restricted.

I certainly agree that it's a very unique and well conceived game in general. It's surprising how much they were able to innovate (successfully!) on their first attempt.

OP
OP
Vert1

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Response to all the responses to the opening line on XBOX:
Greatest Ever BizzyBum Jaded Alyx Error 52
Let me start off by writing that I played Halo at launch AND with people online via xLink. Yes, Splatoon launched towards the end of the console while Halo was as a launch game, and yes Halo also had a ton of copycats in the FPS genre afterwards. I understand all this. I was there. My statement on the importance to the console, the game it is defined by, can be attributed to both games. I consider Splatoon the gamebreaker that changed everything for the Wii U. Splatoonmania definitely hit Japan. Influence-wise, it's much harder for third parties to replicate "color play" mechanics than limiting weapon slots to two weapons, having outdoor environments, and having vehicles in an FPS game (there may also be copyright stuff going on ala Simpon's Road Rage vs Crazy Taxi case). Splatoon's uniqueness hasn't been copied or diluted, which helps maintain the impact of impressiveness the original game has to offer.

Response to all the responses on why bother with Splatoon when Splatoon 2 exists:
Cheebo
Because the stage selection, specials, and tone of the original game are different and more enjoyable to me, and as such I'd strongly recommend people experience the original. Splatoon 2 is more "in your face" while Splatoon is more laidback. My goal isn't to tell people not to play Splatoon 2, but to express how good I think the original is and how it hasn't been replaced. I'm interested in reading opinions on players who went from Splatoon 2 to Splatoon. I switch from playing Splatoon and Splatoon 2 constantly, and I want people to play the first before the online server disappears.

It also has the best final boss in a Nintendo game in a long time.
Definitely.

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for posting it, I hope you'll create others like it. I totally agree, Splatoon on Wii U is an awesome experience. As a SP oriented gamer I enjoyed the campaign a ton, reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy in the design.
Thanks for the kind words. More threads coming soon!

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It was a fun game. I remember how impressed I was when I first played it.

I'm regretful because I really didn't play it much. I owned it, but always gravitated towards other things than Wii U and towards SP instead of MP. I should've played it more than I did. MP just doesn't hook me anymore.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
It's still amazing that Splatoon is already an A-tier Nintendo franchise. It basically became an A-tier franchise the instant it was revealed, and Splatoon 2 only cemented its status as such.
Definitely *not* when it was initially revealed. Its visual style wasn't particularly well received and people weren't really sure if it looked like it had enough budget. It became A-teir once it came out and people realised how awesome it's gameplay was. The visuals and world grew on people too, now we love it.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Splatoon deserves all the credit in the world for it's uniqueness and charm on top of the revolutionary gameplay
Everything from the character designs, the art style, the writing, the music, the in-game universe with it's bands and brands, the fashion
This series is a masterpiece

But Splatoon 2 is still better so this thread is funny

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games ever imo enjoyed the game so much in 2017 (late to the party :( ) that i got the squid sisters tattooed on my body :)

Also a game that was there for me when i was into depression deep. Thats also why i got the tats.

I remember when people joked it would sell and perform like crap ah how wrong those peeps were its one of the biggest games in japan and wii u.

While the wii u failed it brought a new juggernaut for nintendo and gamin in general and i am happy splatoon 2 is close to being a 10m seller seeing this franchise grow makes me happy.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, there is a certain charm and atmosphere that I do miss from splatoon 1 but in the end, splatoon 2 just improved on basically everything but the map

To me, the map on the Wii U gamepad was a thing that made soo much sense for the game mechanics. Just a quick glance at the gamepad to see the current standings of the game. I spent over 500 hours in Splatoon 1, but I haven't been able get into Splatoon 2 at all to the same degree.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 1 is such a better multiplayer game due to the more restrained ink rate, larger maps and higher TTK. It's hard to go back to after all the QoL upgrades in 2 though. I really hope that they can get the best of both worlds for 3.