• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon >>>>>> Splatoon 2 for very simple reasons.

Splatoon 2 removed the kill/death ratio, which made it harder to tell who on your team really sucked and who really shined. The Wii U controller with the touchscreen is also a much better experience than the Switch controller.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fake news, and internet trolling.there are countless threads on the internet over the years full of fake rage and fanboy bullshit. i still remember the thread about how twilight princess HD looked worst than the original on the Wii.
Do you even own the game?
What the fuck do you want? You already replied to me on sunday and now you accuse me of trolling, not having the game and rambling about TP?
Get outta here if you don't have any arguments

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Splatoon is to Wii U what Halo was to XBOX*. Splatoon, if you're not aware, is the most spectacular shooter on the market.

I think Splatoon is Nintendo's best in multiplayer action. So I'm going to focus on talking about the multiplayer portion of the game.
Agreed and it's not even close. I think one problem is people play the single player, then play turf wars, then quit. Or if they have Splatoon 2 they play Salmon run too. The problem is, all those modes are maybe a 7 or 8/10 on the fun scale. The real 11/10 fun is the ranked modes. All 4 of these are by far the best modes in the game.

As for WiiU version, at least you could hold up the remote and look at the map. The Splatoon 2 solution doesn't work well. I want to just glance with my eyes at the map not press a button. Splatoon 3 needs a mini map option.

As for specials, the Booyah Bomb is basically the Ink Strike. There is a similar special for Killer Wail, Krakken, and bazooka too. I think all Splatoon maps will find their way back eventually too, even if it takes Splatoon 3.

What the game desperately needs is split screen multiplayer. 2 player split would be great, but 4 player split needs to happen. Then you have 4 player couch multi plus a built in team for online. I hopec Splatoon 3 is a Switch game and has these features.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like splatoon was more fun on the wii u. Splatoon 2 didn't hit me as hard as the first game.

Splatoon and Mario Maker were the two dopest games on Wii U. Pikmin 3 as well

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Splatoon 1 is the 6th best selling game on the Wii U at 4.94 million.

Splatoon 2 is the 6th best selling game on the Switch (currently) at 8.27 million.

There have only been two games up to this point. Splatoon is an A-List Nintendo franchise.

Some people here seem to forget that this is one of the most kid-friendly competitive online shooting games out there. There is almost nothing that even remotely qualifies as direct competition against it at all. Of course it's huge and iconic.

m3amycdhvzo4epuspjko.jpg

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon on Wii U sold more than Halo on X-Box, so that's not that crazy a statement.
Splatoon 2 will also outsell Halo 2, and likely Reach as well (though not quite sure what the latter is at).

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing Other Users; Ignoring Mod Warning
What the fuck do you want? You already replied to me on sunday and now you accuse me of trolling, not having the game and rambling about TP?
Get outta here if you don't have any arguments
I think you're losing it! I Guess not every post is worth responding to.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Motion controls on Wii U are much better and more responsive compared to Switch. Wii U also has less input lag could be due to Gamepad's usage of 5GHz connection to communicate with the console.

This video also compares other Wii U ports.

Honestly, for the longest time, I thought it was Placebo, as soon as I did the testfire it seemed off, then I purchased the game and something still felt off.

Yeah, Splatton 2 seemed faster, high energy and high pace. I probably out in at least 300 hours in the first game and not even 30 hours in the second, It just didn't pull me in.

Mario Maker 2 should pull me in like the first game though

Oct 26, 2017
Some people here seem to forget that this is one of the most kid-friendly competitive online shooting games out there. There is almost nothing that even remotely qualifies as direct competition against it at all. Of course it's huge and iconic.

m3amycdhvzo4epuspjko.jpg
We going with the "It's big because of there's no competition" argument now?

grimrepo

Jan 9, 2018
As a person with over 700 hours each version and reasonable at it (turf war mainly), these are fun games with a great community and personally could not recommend it more

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Idk why we're directly comparing sales. It's just that OP feels that Splatoon is Wii U's poster child like Halo was to the Xbox. Hell, rereading the first page the OP confirmed this. I might not feel that way but it's not an outlandish opinion. A comparison doesn't need to be 1:1 to get that feeling across. and it's not like OG Xbox sold all that well anyway

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Concept, idea and mechanics are all awesome.
Netcode is the biggest piece of shit and the reason I gave up playin Splatoon 2 after 2 month.
Such a shame for an otherwise great game/IP

And here i am 825 hours of playtime, with almost no issue at all. Internet works far better than the absolute trash that is smash online, and i use a wi fi connection btw.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
God, so many fond memories. The game seized me.

Definitely preferred the music in 1, even if most of it is still in 2.

Also miss the smaller pool of stages which meant Arowana Mall and Blackbelly Skatepark came up more frequently, since I still don't think they've been topped.

For some reason I just haven't invested as much time into 2 as I did 1, even though in many ways 2 is the superior game.

Dec 8, 2018
Thank you for this thread, and for praising a unique classic that has innovative action gameplay, memorable OST, unique uses of the Gamepad, and much more!

Oct 26, 2017
Well I mean the only game I can think of that's even vaguely aesthetically reminiscent of Splatoon is...Jet Set Radio and it's sequel. And that's a completely different type of game
Well I don't disagree that there isn't much competition but that alone isn't enough to get multi-million sales numbers. Good marketing, concept and design, and being actually fun are far more important

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Well I don't disagree that there isn't much competition but that alone isn't enough to get multi-million sales numbers. Good marketing, concept and design, and being actually fun are far more important

Oh yeah, OK, now I think I get it more now; like, to be clear I don't mean like "splatoon isn't good". Splatoon is awesome, and its style is a core part of that to me.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love both Splatoon games for their Single Player mode. I never really got deeply into the multiplayer though. I played each for a month before getting tired of them. There's something lacking there for me. The grind just wasn't that fun compared to something like Rocket League it Mario Kart.

Splatoon 1 was better than 2. It was much more fun online while I played it. Both are great though.

I really love the Octo Expansion more than anything though. It's by far the coolest part of the series for me. What a game!

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Splatoon 2 removed the kill/death ratio, which made it harder to tell who on your team really sucked and who really shined.

K/D ratios have never been a good indicator of that. Kill-stealing's still a thing, you know.

And more importantly, Splatoon's a shining example of a game where getting kills isn't the ONLY way to be good at it.