• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
This is a thread on Super Mario Sunshine. A thread for a Post-Super Mario 64 world.

In the year 2002 there was great anticipation for Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker; collectively known as The Big 3. I was reading EGM about how Nintendo was being secretive about that "water gun" of Mario's. It was quite an interesting time seeing Mario with this yellow contraption on his back, Metroid going first person, and Zelda being a cell-shaded game. Summer finally came around and once again with Super Mario Sunshine the exhilaration of controlling Mario returned.

How many of you played the demo before the game? One major difference of being around at the time was that it afforded me to be able to play the demo a week or so prior to launch. The demo drops you into the first episode of Bianco Hills and, more importantly, allows you to figure out Mario's new moves on your own. No tutorial/user instruction.

FLUDD_assistance.png

Adding spraying water to Mario's moveset was genius. I think that is the key difference between 64 and Sunshine was going from awe-inspiring world design with a perfect bold art style to spectacular water effects produced by the Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device (FLUDD). Shooting water everywhere, pushing in the new pressure-sensitive analog triggers figuring out what happens when you do so, figuring out what to do when the water tank runs empty, figuring out that you could do a sprinkler spin — this was amazing stuff. The hover nozzle was fun, the spray nozzle was cool. Using FLUDD to spin swing while hanging on tightropes was quite an experience and something that just couldn't be done as Mario-like with only body mechanics. Spinning like a top on the ground was new and exciting given the enhanced aesthetic feedback of 360 degrees of water being sprayed out everywhere as Mario moves quickly about.

We have got a super soaker, a jetpack, a sprinkler spin attack. Very inventive. Even more so is the controlling of the dorofune and lilipads by spraying water, which has a unique control scheme where Mario locks in place facing backwards spraying water to move forward and steer that I thoroughly enjoy. Something is missing though — there is something that ups the fun factor even more that is associated with summer. FLUDD would not be worth protecting behind closed doors from game designers eager to steal a game mechanic if not for this one new addition to Mario's core moveset. How did Nintendo take it to the next level? How did they make it so that Mario can move faster than ever before with the default spray nozzle? I won't spoil it for you but it's mentioned in the game manual if you can't figure it out eventually on your own.

Now I already went over how impressive the water is, and that's just one part of the game. When it comes to text display there is Super Mario Sunshine and then there is everything else. There is a cinematic quality of producing a 45° angle when talking to someone now. The text box now has the most personality of a Mario game or any other game I've seen. It's my favorite text box, but it's not exactly a text box; there are 3 blue curved elongated ovals stacked over one another with a small space between each. Imagine half of a blue rainbow. Each oval unwinds sequentially fully expanding to the right side. Encased is white text running from the top oval to the bottom.

While the game is ultra stylish in communication there also is a nice straight-forward mischievous element to interactivity. Running up and spraying the locals or bopping on top of Toads' heads never gets old. All the above makes running up to someone an enjoyable compulsion.

Isle Delfino keeps evolving (e.g. the change in sunlight, the introduction of new people and stages to chase after Shadow Mario in, the different news feed messages that scroll across the screen). Isle Delfino is jam-packed with Piantas to talk to and blue coins. The use of yellow coins to contrast with an interspersed blue coin is very good looking. I haven't seen coins this resplendent in a game before. Hearing that steel pan make that plunking sfx when you touch one is immensely satisfying.

Red graffiti abounds. Having wall graffiti be sprayable to administer blue coins in various ways, which way depends on the type of graffiti design, is clever and also makes it so floor space isn't clustered. There is plenty variation to how blue coins are presented rewarding players for good observation, curiosity, speed, and more. If all the blue coins were all boringly placed in plain view or as a do this for person, the game would lose a lot of its charm. With how they are, collecting is not chore-like or fetchquesty. My favorite ones to collect are the timed blue coin before it vanishes.

This isn't your standard Mario game. The wackiness is upped. There are roadblocks. There are spikes in difficulty. There is a one-off boss fight that goes all out in aesthetic mayhem inducing slow down. There is far less time spent to get to the challenging levels ala athletic levels aka void levels. What's this an a capella? Come back for more and you get challenged with a timed secret episode collecting 8 red coins with FLUDD.

Are you a NINPRO? This game is not afraid to show the player the GAME OVER screen. Reveal skill level as there is built up control from 64 now with handling the camera in the air while hovering and moving around in general, which makes for essentially two camera systems: ground and air. Player switches frequently from 2D-esque locked motions and 3D analog controls. Doing so is enjoyable, especially when challenging oneself to do so to maintain a consistent and high-rate of speed. Repeated takes let you enhance your abilities; e.g., racing Piantissimo again, trying out an athletic course with all the nozzle attachments.

ENDING

A truly fantastic game for the summer. I played through it as fast as I could. With a physics engine this fun in controlling Mario I often look at other game worlds and think of placing Mario on any map. But he's here to stay only on Nintendo GameCube.

Smsaftergame.jpg

Last edited:

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I would love to have an opportunity to play Super Mario Sunshine again. Metroid Prime and Wind Waker have both been rereleased and are likely to be rereleased in the future, but Mario Sunshine almost seems to occupy this weird forgotten space. I remember enjoying the hell out of it at the time, although I didn't love it as much as I did Mario 64 before it or Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 after it. It's the only Mario game I haven't done 100% completion for and I think a remaster that fixed the blue coins would be a wonderful thing.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Every time I try to play Sunshine it all goes well until the actual game starts and it's 30FPS. It doesn't feel good

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the FLUDD techniques, but it got frustrating on some of the levels where single mistakes would set you back way farther than normal.

There is something about Mario getting so crushed about losing a race he dies.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I would love to have an opportunity to play Super Mario Sunshine again. Metroid Prime and Wind Waker have both been rereleased and are likely to be rereleased in the future, but Mario Sunshine almost seems to occupy this weird forgotten space. I remember enjoying the hell out of it at the time, although I didn't love it as much as I did Mario 64 before it or Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 after it. It's the only Mario game I haven't done 100% completion for and I think a remaster that fixed the blue coins would be a wonderful thing.
It's crazy that Mario 64 got a remake with added content 8 years after launch and was on virtual console 10 years after launch, and now Sunshine is 17 years old and still nothing.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I tried this game recently on dolphin and I just can't

It's just so unfun

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Sunshine back in the day. Would love a switch port, don't really see the big deal about the analog triggers though. Sure they could work around it just fine.

Nov 1, 2017
I thought it was a rather lackluster title. Upon hearing that they were worried people would steal the FLUDD gimmick had me chuckling.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Still the worst 3D Mario game for me. It just never vibed with me, ever..

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
The only Mario pre-Galaxy game I haven't beaten twice or more. I only didn't beat Galaxy and beyond games twice because adult stuff ate up my time - and money gave me the ability to but way more games. This and SMB2 are my least favorite Mario games. But both are still pretty dang fun regardless!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like Sunshine's basic game systems, but the game just lacked in content and the level design was just kind of odd (keeping the big open areas from 64, even making them larger, but then limiting you to one shine per stage aside from some specific "secret shines"). The blue coins go from a curiosity to a boring task once you attempt to complete the game as a whole due to some bad design choices (like some blue coins only appearing in specific versions of specific stages, including ones that only appear when certain walls are hit by water). I loved the game in the beginning but by the time I finished it, it was a fairly disappointing experience.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
Great game, while not as polished as the other 3D Marios. OP is right about the game not being afraid of showing that game over screen lol. Love the levels without FLUDD.

Also: shoutout to the game's soundtrack. Atmospheric af.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I just remember the camera making me want to throw my controller through the tv at least 10x each play session.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've wanted to play it for years, but the prices on eBay are ridiculous. Like, the box alone is going for 20 bucks.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Maybe someday Nintendo will re-release this title so I can play it. Won't be the OG Gamecube, but I think i'll manage with that sacrifice.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really liked this game. Mechanically it was probobaly the best 3D platformer that released up until that point. Controlling Mario and navigating your way around the levels was really fun. Enjoyed the additions FLUDD brought to the table and the game had a nice summer atmosphere that no game has really captured since. Also the speedruns for this game just like for Mario 64 are insane and really show how much of a skill ceiling this game has.

Shame about it being downgraded from 60FPS to 30FPS only a few months before it shipped tho. Thankfully Dolphin fixes this.

My appreciation for this game has grown over the years and now i would put it higher than the first Mario Galaxy or 3D World as far as 3D Mario games are concerned. It was also the best 3D platformer since Mario 64, at the time of it's release.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I did not enjoy it. The game just didn't feel good and it was not fun. It was a disappointing follow up to MARIO 64.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Still the best controlling 3D platformer ever, better than Odyssey. Mario is a crazy gymnast.

Just shows signs of being rushed. Some dodgy textures and the blue coins instead of more main Shines.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This game is the most a Mario game just felt like busywork to me. I loved the hub and wanted to love FLUUD but the mission designs ranged from boring to annoying. I would definitely give it another shot if it got remastered but I was so disappointed by this game.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I remember liking it at roughly around the time it was released. I tried playing it again recently and dropped it so hard around the on rails shooting boss.

I'm probably not going to continue my replay but I'm left thinking that the stuff after that point must have been worth it for me back then, I have good memories of unlocking yoshi and stuff but I just can't be assed to go through the meh portions right now. Aesthetically I do love it at least.

Mario 64 replay on the other hand is going great. Got a cannonless into the wild blue in thwomps fortress a bit ago, feels good.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
A great remaster of this game configured to run at 60fps with some minor gameplay tweaks would be a masterpiece.

The original is a flawed gem, frustrating in some totally unnecessary ways but full of creativity and joy.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love another really focused atmosphere 3D Mario game where the whole game is created around a single location and aesthetic that you deeply explore like Sunshine. I've really enjoyed the Galaxy games and loved Odyssey, but I do want to see Mario return to an all encompassing atmosphere and location similar to how Sunshine did it with Isle Delfino. The tropical vibes were so infatuating. I also loved being in one level, such as the theme park, and being able to see other parts of the island you were just in off in the distance. It gave you a real feeling of progression which I loved. All around cozy vibes.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember liking it at roughly around the time it was released. I tried playing it again recently and dropped it so hard around the on rails shooting boss.

That boss is the easiest one in the game. It's essentially a massive target that doesn't move and you only need to hit it four times. It can be beaten in about 20 seconds.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
That boss is the easiest one in the game. It's essentially a massive target that doesn't move and you only need to hit it four times. It can be beaten in about 20 seconds.
I should say rather that I didn't drop it because of that specifically, just wasn't feeling it up to that point and wanted to drop it there.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
The language of this post reads like Trump trying to sell people on Sunshine for some reason.

But anyway, I can't agree at all. FLUDD felt like a gimmick from a mediocre third party platformer, the blue coins were atrocious, Mario doesn't control like he should, and Bowser jr. is a lame villain.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it was some hot shit for 2002. but ultimately it was like "that's cool, what's next", which i couldn't say for 64 and Galaxy (which its 'legacy' is sandwhiched between). lot of games i don't mind revisiting from back then but Sunshine not so much

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
It's a decent game but I'm not really a fan of the lack of aesthetic/thematic variety in the levels. The tropical island setting wasn't bad in theory but it shouldn't have come at the cost of the areas not being distinctive enough from one another.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it day one, and after the initial excitement of playing a new Mario wore off, I found it a disappointment. Gorgeous game but often tedious to play. I haven't played it in ages so I can't fully articulate its issues but I will replay it some time this year.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I impulse bought a Gamecube with this game after playing the demo in a store. Got me back into console gaming after being a primarily PC gamer during the 32-bit era + Dreamcast. It certainly has some issues but I would probably jump back in for a remaster.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I loved sunshine I honestly never understood the hate for it. I modded my GameCube and imported every major game that came out for the system since it was always way earlier. I miss those days

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
I'm still shocked this game ran at 30fps on GameCube.

One of the reasons I find it so hard to go back to.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I recently went back to it, and for the third or forth time I just can't like it. Terrible reverse controls you can't change, terrible camera, bad level designs. It really is the black sheep of the Mario games imo.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
It's crazy that Mario 64 got a remake with added content 8 years after launch and was on virtual console 10 years after launch, and now Sunshine is 17 years old and still nothing.
To be fair, it can be played on the next two Nintendo consoles, either via the Wii's disc drive, or putting Nintendont on the Wii side of the WiiU.
Mario 64 was also on the next couple of consoles in DS/3ds(via bc) and the Wii/WiiU(via VC)

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Played it for the first time this year.

It has a horrible camera, slippery controls, poor level design, samey environments, and is just generally unpolished and rushed for the franchise.

Like it's still a fun game but it's nowhere near pretty much anything else in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
This game desperately needs a remake and maybe to revise some of the challenges (Blue Coins, really).

There's a good thing there in the middle of the core gameplay, but this is the least polished Mario game made by Nintendo that I've seen in my life by a long, long shot, and it desperately needs work to make it what it could be.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Love Sunshine on Gamecube. It gets so much hate, but I truly love it.

I played it when it came out on Gamecube, all summer.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Given the thread title I thought this was going to be about playing the game on original hardware, eschewing Wii backwards compatibility and Dolphin emulator.