• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine this playing terrible with #TheResistance, seeing as people (even on this very site) were defending a hypothetical Bloomberg/Trump november scenario in favor of Bloomberg.

So I wouldn't exasperate myself jumping to argue with people online who say this affects their voting decision. Luckily for those types (who would otherwise argue), its not gonna move the needle. To the dismay of people who care about this situation.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't imagine this playing terrible with #TheResistance, seeing as people (even on this very site) were defending a hypothetical Bloomberg/Trump november scenario in favor of Bloomberg.

So I wouldn't exasperate myself jumping to argue with people online who say this affects their voting decision. Luckily for those types (who would otherwise argue), its not gonna move the needle. To the dismay of people who care about this situation.

Yeah, ultimately I don't think this story will go anywhere. There's too much going on for this to build traction. Very upsetting.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
That audio... *shivers*

At this point we are looking at one rapist who wants to help out big business and banks for 4 years and one rapist who wants to help out big business and banks for 8 years but abortion.
Were I American, I'd still take the second one because reproductive rights are not a trivial issue. But urgh.

Two sexual predators competing for the presidency, while two sexual predators sit on the Supreme Court. This is so, so fucked.

Oct 26, 2017
I did a summary of the rape allegation:
She is asked by someone else to deliver a gym bag to Biden, down towards the capitol. She arrives, they end up alone in a side area, there wasn't even any exchange or delivery. He immediately pushes her up against the wall, starts kissing her, then penetrates her under the skirt with his fingers. He said "do you wanna go somewhere else" while it was happening. She pulled away once he was finished, clearly upset. He then said "come on, man! I thought/heard you liked me!" He looked annoyed. He then pointed his finger at her and said "you're nothing. Nothing" Then soon afterwords attempted to console her by grabbing her by the shoulders and said "you're ok, you're fine". She says that the "you're nothing" exchange has stuck with her ever since. "People wanna know why women don't come forward.. that's a good example why"
Fuck Joe Biden
That's fucking disgusting

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
At this point we are looking at one rapist who wants to help out big business and banks for 4 years and one rapist who wants to help out big business and banks for 8 years but abortion.
And if that's the case then a choice still has to be made. It's like the moral dilemma scenario where driving you can hit a single person or stop and cause a 6 car pile up where 6 people die. No choice really isn't an option, the rest of the country just chooses for you.

May 26, 2018
Some of the think it's no big deal, some think it's fake news.
But a lot of them think that winning the election is more important than this stuff, and I think this is also true for many people in the Democratic base.

Hillary dropped in numbers over a last minute statement on her e-mails. What do you think a rape accusation is going to do? (Not equating in terms of truth, btw!) Surely it will hurt too?

And if that's the case then a choice still has to be made. It's like the moral dilemma scenario where driving you can hit a single person or stop and cause a 6 car pile up where 6 people die. No choice really isn't an option, the rest of the country just chooses for you.

At that point people basically become single issue out of necessity. They choose one thing to restore.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, fuck anyone who voted for Biden over Sanders.

This is where yall get it wrong. It's mostly not the voters... it's the influencers (who are trusted) who get a mass amount of people to vote against their interests.

They are the most dangerous.

Most regular voters are too busy with their own lives to really look into things...and they rely on others who they think they trust.

Edit- for a while, I thought Era was different... but it's not. Some on here are not geniune.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I will start rationalizing everything bad happing to me by labelling it as Russian propaganda/interference

Also, The Intercept does top notch journalism, you tool

People think The Intercept is false because it is Russian propaganda, which is wrong.

The understanding should be that any Russian propaganda works from reports they take from sites like The Intercept. The best propaganda, after all, is truth.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep this absolutely sucks and it won't hurt him all with the way the American public is. Trump's sexual assaults allegations which are far numerous are never brought up ever in the media despite being the far more unpopular candidate. Good luck trying to get the media darling like Biden any coverage about this during an election year.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you'd replace Biden at convention with someone that the party could come together around (Warren or even Klobuchar, it should be a woman at this point given the nature of the allegations!) that would be preferable to him being the party's nominee. If the mainstream media doesn't run this story now, and the Republicans pick it up in the fall it would be an unmitigated disaster. I'd prefer Bernie obviously from the standpoint that he's second in the running, but if this is accurate you are risking it all running Biden in the general election. He might survive it because we still don't value women as much as we should, but this drops at the end of October on Trump's Twitter and Fox News, how do you like Biden's chances?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That audio... *shivers*

Were I American, I'd still take the second one because reproductive rights are not a trivial issue. But urgh.

Two sexual predators competing for the presidency, while two sexual predators sit on the Supreme Court. This is so, so fucked.

And how many in Congress? Who even knows at this point.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You know very well this is not what the democratic party stands for. They claim to stand for that. This is why November will be such a tragedy. I have no choice but to vote for a rapist because they other rapist is even worse. This is why a lot of people are angry at Biden. Our standards have plummeted so low after 2016.

At this point it's time to burn the Democratic party down. I'm tired of this shit. I'm tired of having to vote for people that either attack women for coming forward (Hillary Clinton) or are sexual predators (Bill Clinton, Joe Biden). Fuck. This. Shit.

Yeah, it's just fucking sad. We need a true, 3rd party at this rate.

Biden needs to just step down while he still can & have Bernie run against Trump.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Was he never vetted? Did this not come up in his 08 run?

Allegations came out last year of Biden being a real creep with touching women inappropriately including stuff from the same woman speaking out in this new Soundcloud audio. The audio mentions stuff that doesn't appear to have been circulated before.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have this question too.

How was he VP for 8 years without this coming out?

I'm in no way victim blaming, but come on...

The #metoo movement is relatively recent. The victims of these men had feared coming forward because of the power disparity and how historically female accusers have been dismissed.

May 26, 2018
I have this question too.

How was he VP for 8 years without this coming out?

I'm in no way victim blaming, but come on...

Guessing because people didn't give a shit for a long time about women, then by the time more respect for them begins happening, Biden is in this position and people are going "we need him, pls don't find out"

which seems deeply stupid.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Guessing because people didn't give a shit for a long time about women, then by the time more respect for them begins happening, Biden is in this position and people are going "we need him, pls don't find out"

which seems deeply stupid.

Feminism in this country was a dirty word for a long time until third wave feminism hit hard in the last decade or so. Second wave feminism was more or less skipped over here.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen this story getting picked by any big media outlet so far, and I suspect as long that it stays true they will try to ignore this issue.

This came out in April last year with a milder story from the same person, and was then dropped after he issued an apology. It was likely followed up on by media then (especially since at that time Biden wasn't the prize horse) and not picked up further due to lacking information, so it coming back up again likely runs into an issue of sourcing.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was he never vetted? Did this not come up in his 08 run?
From what I understand, this particular woman did not come forward to the press with the allegations until April 2019. I think that was right around the time the internet was coming to terms with Joe being a serial groper. However she only managed to get a local media outlet to report on the story: https://www.theunion.com/news/nevad...d-her-while-working-in-his-u-s-senate-office/

So it never picked up traction in national outlets. And the original reporting does not reflect the explicit detail given in the audio interview.

By her account, people said she was a Russian Op.

This came out in April last year with a milder story from the same person, and was then dropped after he issued an apology. It was likely followed up on by media then (especially since at that time Biden wasn't the prize horse) and not picked up further due to lacking information, so it coming back up again likely runs into an issue of sourcing.

I'm not sure if *this* story was the actual one that Biden was apologizing for. I think Biden was reacting to the Lucy Flores accusation, which had made it all the way to The View

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's entirely fair considering all the erosion of civil liberties and corporate deregulation we have seen in the past four years.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): victim blaming
From what I understand, this particular woman did not come forward to the press with the allegations until April 2019. I think that was right around the time the internet was coming to terms with Joe being a serial groper. However she only managed to get a local media outlet to report on the story: https://www.theunion.com/news/nevad...d-her-while-working-in-his-u-s-senate-office/

So it never picked up traction in national outlets. And the original reporting does not reflect the explicit detail given in the audio interview.

By her account, people said she was a Russian Op.

My problem really is that when she came out with her story last year, she only told half the story.

Why would she do that?

Her contemporaneous complaint and corroborating witness make me believe her account... no doubt.

I just find it ridiculous that she didn't disclose this full account back in April. It makes me doubt her motivations in telling her story (if not the veracity of the story itself).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My problem really is that when she came out with her story last year, she only told half the story.

Why would she do that?

Her contemporaneous complaint and corroborating witness make me believe her account... no doubt.

I just find it ridiculous that she didn't disclose this full account back in April. It makes me doubt her motivations in telling her story (if not the veracity of the story itself).

Jesus Christ, dude...

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are we really back to "unless there is a 3rd party witness or a video footage we're not reporting on sexual assault allegations?"
I thought we were pass that.
I donno, have you listened to the audio? I think you need to have pretty damn concrete reasons to believe this is a fabrication to not cover it.
I don't want to rush to anything here because this is still pretty new, and I understand that it can take a bit to run down a story like this. But at least based on the information I have in front of me, it seem to easily clear the bar for reporting.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if *this* story was the actual one that Biden was apologizing for. I think Biden was reacting to the Lucy Flores accusation, which had made it all the way to The View

Ahh you are probably right. I remembered a number of these all coming out around the same time, and then fading out after the apology.

Are we really back to "unless there is a 3rd party witness or a video footage we're not reporting on sexual assault allegations?"
I thought we were pass that.
I donno, have you listened to the audio? I think you need to have pretty damn concrete reasons to believe this is a fabrication to not cover it.
I don't want to rush to anything here because this is still pretty new, and I understand that it can take a bit to run down a story like this. But at least based on the information I have in front of me, it seem to easily clear the bar for reporting.

That isn't at all what I said or was even saying. I simply told you why it might be that the media hasn't picked it up. I do not control the media.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why would she do that?

What is this

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Why would she do that?

You ain't slick.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why would she do that?

From the Intercept story (you guys really should read these things before coming in with these questions)

In January of this year, Reade spoke with a program director at NWLC, Ellie Driscoll, and was encouraged by the conversation. The fact that she was a Sanders supporter and had come forward previously in incomplete fashion didn't dissuade Time's Up. Driscoll referred her to outside attorneys, Reade said, and suggested that the Time's Up Legal Defense Fund might be able to provide funding for PR and subsidize legal assistance.

Driscoll shared with Reade the note she planned to forward to attorneys, which read, in part:

She began publicly sharing the harassment she experienced in April 2019 but was attacked … online including by Richard Painter (Univ. of MN law professor who worked in the Obama administration) and journalist Edward-Isaac Dovere for being a Russian operative. There is more to the story of the harassment that she did not feel safe sharing at that time. She is looking for support in sharing her story and guidance on any possible legal action she may be able to take against online harassers. [Editor's note: Painter served in the Bush, not Obama, administration, and ran for Senate in 2018 as a Democrat.]

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fwiw, I still think Biden needs to address this ... and probably drop out.

I just think she's made a massive tactical error... and frankly I understand why her miscalculation will allow Biden to remain in the race.
Tactical error jesus christ. This is not a sporting event. This is a woman describing being raped.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
From the Intercept story (you guys really should read these things before coming in with these questions)

Sorry, but I read it.

I don't understand why she only disclosed half of her story in that initial interview... It is going to harm her credibility now in the eyes of many.

It's not fair (and, like I posted repeatedly, I believe her), but now she looks motivated by more than just the need to disclose the truth about her experience.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
User Banned (1 week): ignoring the staff post
Yeah let's allow the GOP to rule instead, destroying millions of lives and regressing society in uncountable ways.

Take a look at the past three years to see how well that would go.
There is still time to drop Biden and embrace Sanders for Democrats. You can't tell me that Democrats can't sell a voice of reason during a Pandemic. If you ask me, this has a much better chance of success than Biden.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but I read it.

I don't understand why she only disclosed half of her story in that initial interview... It is going to harm her credibility now in the eyes of many.

It's not fair (and, like I posted repeatedly, I believe her), but now she looks motivated by more than just the need to disclose the truth about her experience.
Because shes a victim and doesnt need to justify or discuss or disclose everything that happened to her for her story to matter.

Apr 21, 2018
It's really depressing that both our candidates this fall will have multiple accusers. What standard do we have for our top politicians? Why are they two creepy, confused old dotards? Seriously.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is still time to drop Biden and embrace Sanders for Democrats. You can't tell me that Democrats can't sell a voice of reason during a Pandemic. If you ask me, this has a much better chance of success than Biden.
It could, but it would require party heads to put their foot down and go on Biden hard, since I doubt Biden would willingly step down of his own accord. Which I don't see the party doing, whether for optics or for attacking a highly regarded member of their party.

Better that we kick a stink about it now before it really is too late though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It could, but it would require party heads to put their foot down and go on Biden hard, since I doubt Biden would willingly step down of his own accord. Which I don't see the party doing, whether for optics or for attacking a highly regarded member of their party.

They are just going to ride this out and hope it blows over. The sad thing is they're probably right.

This year fucking sucks, dude.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Even if they dropped Biden or he dropped out, it would not go to Bernie as Biden's delegates would likely unify behind someone else. Bernie was rejected by the majority at this point. You'd get some messy convention and who even knows who would end up on the ticket.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That isn't at all what I said or was even saying. I simply told you why it might be that the media hasn't picked it up. I do not control the media.
I don't think that's the bar the media have right now.
A lot of the Me Too reporting were based on only personal testimonies of the assaulted women.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they dropped Biden or he dropped out, it would not go to Bernie as Biden's delegates would likely unify behind someone else. Bernie was rejected by the majority at this point. You'd get some messy convention and who even knows who would end up on the ticket.

Yeah, if Biden drops (which he almost certainly won't), it probably still won't be Bernie.